Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:44 am 

i'm half way through it, hmmm its pretty mediocre imo, feels very rushed

maybe some more plays will make an opinion change

anyone has given it a listen, and thoughts ?

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am 

I listened to it last night. I find it be pretty solid so far. I need to give it more listens. Songs I particularly like at the moment are Evidence In The Furnace, A Caulron Of Hate and Skewered From Ear To Eye.

dimensionhatross
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 am 

I listened last night also and I found it like a "Kill II" album... very amazing so far. Anyway, I have to play it twice more in order to provide a more detailed opinion.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:23 pm 

Got it a week ago or so from Metal Blade. I feel like the first half of the album is lacking in any transitions what so ever. Everything just felt like riff/riff/riff. The tempo changes were sudden and random. The riffs just weren't fluid. Once you get to Carnivorous Swarms things start sounding loads better, everything is more fluid and things don't feel nearly as random as the first half. It's a solid album to say the least.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:48 pm 

Standard 2000's Cannibal Corpse album from the sounds of it.

I might eventually pick it up if money allows, but its not high for priorities.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:33 pm 

DerekBuhr wrote:
Got it a week ago or so from Metal Blade.

:???:

I won't listen to it until I get the album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:40 pm 

dimensionhatross wrote:
I listened last night also and I found it like a "Kill II" album... very amazing so far. Anyway, I have to play it twice more in order to provide a more detailed opinion.

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
Standard 2000's Cannibal Corpse album from the sounds of it.

I might eventually pick it up if money allows, but its not high for priorities.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear....

MikeyC wrote:
DerekBuhr wrote:

I'm with you dude....

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:47 pm 

I am getting a promo soon, so I'll post my thoughts then. I've never listened to a CC album in its entirety, so this should be at least sort of interesting.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:05 pm 

I work at college radio station as a "Loud Rock" director. It's a catch-all for hardcore, metal, and hard rock in the promotional world. So I get access to these weeks before they get released. I'm sitting on the new Edguy, Taake, Darkane, and Napalm Death as we speak (American release dates are =() Thus my reason for having had it for a week prior to release.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:00 pm 

What site are you guys listening to it from?

Satanic_Shoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:44 pm 

I'm currently downloading the album. I'm not expecting much, but I'm sure it will be solid.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:47 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
DerekBuhr wrote:

Yeah me too. This is one album I actually want to buy.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:26 pm 

I might download it soon, if I don't think I can wait til the release date in which case I'll buy it.

If it's "Kill II" then I'll love it. :metal:

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:16 pm 

I just checked it out a few hours ago. Pretty damn good. Played tight, good musicianship, solid songwriting. Nothing new obviously, but they are a veteran band who helped develop this style of dm, so it's forgivable.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 am 

I listened to previews of all the tracks a day or two ago. Enjoyable stuff, but not exactly of Bloodbath calibre. I'm digging the guitar tone.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:27 am 

After one listen to the song from new album on myspace I decided to not waste time by downloading it. Complete boredom.

artificial_sun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:04 am 

Is it just me, or was there absolutely no drum fills in this album?

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am 

The_Boss wrote:
I might download it soon, if I don't think I can wait til the release date in which case I'll buy it.

If it's "Kill II" then I'll love it. :metal:

Indeed. An album that is pure fun and enjoyment is what I look for when listening to Cannibal Corpse.

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:52 am 

the last great album for me was butchered, they just seem to justify my old opinion with every release, of years ago that they are indeed the kings of mediocre , boring redundant, Crap . no feel blech :nono:. I still am stuck on the demo .
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:48 pm 

I don't know what you guys are complaining about, this is a fine record, very straightforward and headbangable, with a thick, crunchy, old school guitar tone that just rules.

Maybe it's because I've never heard any other CC stuff.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, this is a fine record, very straightforward and headbangable, with a thick, crunchy, old school guitar tone that just rules.

That's probably why you you've come to that conclusion. There's a common saying that goes as follows: "If you've heard one Cannibal Corpse album, you've heard them all."

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:15 pm 

Sorry to say, but it bored me to death. Also, drums are too high in the mix, which is quite detrimental due to Paul being one of the most simple, uncreative drummers in metal, like ever. Fundamentally, it's almost the same as every other CC offering; cliche, predictable, formulaic and boring. Sorry guys, just don't like it.

Even Kill was better than this. The only good Corpse album is Eaten Back to Life. At least they were able to write brutal riffs that were fun and hooky, and had that thrashy underpinning of rhythm that actually made the album move, rather than revel in monotonous brutality like all their albums following.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:17 pm 

All I can say about this album is that it is standard Cannibal Corpse. It makes me think that they're the Motorhead or AC/DC of Death Metal.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:19 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
All I can say about this album is that it is standard Cannibal Corpse. It makes me think that they're the Motorhead or AC/DC of Death Metal.

The difference is that Motorhead and AC/DC don't get all the insane mockery these guys have to endure. :lol:

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm 

I'm waiting to buy the album. I sure hope it's good.

Last.fm

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:31 pm 

I hate how high the vocals are in the mix.

I won't bother with downloading or buying.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:36 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's probably why you you've come to that conclusion. There's a common saying that goes as follows: "If you've heard one Cannibal Corpse album, you've heard them all."

Yeah, but even then, it seems like a stretch for people to really say this is bad. It's got a few dull spots, but for the most part, Evisceration Plague is a meaty, hooky, visceral kick in the gonads that I find quite fun.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:00 pm 

I'll probably download it tonight, listen to two or three songs, decide it's the same damn boring Cannibal fucking corpse I have heard before and then don't care anymore.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah, but even then, it seems like a stretch for people to really say this is bad. It's got a few dull spots, but for the most part, Evisceration Plague is a meaty, hooky, visceral kick in the gonads that I find quite fun.

I agree. I find it quite enjoyable myself and will be buying it. How about you?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:25 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I agree. I find it quite enjoyable myself and will be buying it. How about you?

Probably not, as I have other things I need to do with the money and I already got this legally as an (mp3) promo, anyway. Maybe someday, who knows.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:45 pm 

Yeah. It sounds like standard CC. Not that that's a problem for me though.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:12 pm 

I believe I just saw George Fischer on Hanna Montana.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:12 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I believe I just saw George Fischer on Hanna Montana.

Why were you watching Hanna Montana?

redeemerofchaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:32 pm 

Sinvocation wrote:
Sorry to say, but it bored me to death. Also, drums are too high in the mix, which is quite detrimental due to Paul being one of the most simple, uncreative drummers in metal, like ever. Fundamentally, it's almost the same as every other CC offering; cliche, predictable, formulaic and boring. Sorry guys, just don't like it.

Even Kill was better than this. The only good Corpse album is Eaten Back to Life. At least they were able to write brutal riffs that were fun and hooky, and had that thrashy underpinning of rhythm that actually made the album move, rather than revel in monotonous brutality like all their albums following.

Agree 100%

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 pm 

I thought that might come up. :D I was sitting on the couch and the parents were watching it (that's how bad television in Australia is, Hannah Montana was probably the best thing on :ugh:) and I was putting up with it as I thought of something to do. I got to the stage where I got sufficiently annoyed as to play Battlefield 1942, my current activity.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:00 pm 

Well, judging from my promo, it is indeed standard Cannibal fare. But the magical thing about Cannibal Corpse is that they are like Krisiun, Running Wild, or Vader in that they don't really HAVE to change. They do what they do extremely well and have no desire to do anything different. It's pretty much Kill part two, but that's totally fine.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 pm 

This CD is incredible. I'd only place Eaten Back to Life and The Bleeding in front of it, but holy shit, Cannibal Corpse has really outdone my expectations.

Buying this for sure.

Obligatory Last FM Link

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:21 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I thought that might come up. :D I was sitting on the couch and the parents were watching it (that's how bad television in Australia is, Hannah Montana was probably the best thing on :ugh:) and I was putting up with it as I thought of something to do. I got to the stage where I got sufficiently annoyed as to play Battlefield 1942, my current activity.

Never mind that (And no tv is bad enough to excuse a grown man watching Hannah Montana), what the hell was George Fisher doing on the show? Surely you're making this up.

And as for the album, someone please tell me they're still kidding with the cover art. A couple of badly drawn brown zombies? Come on guys, I have friends who look scarier than that. Whatever happened to their old style art?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 am 

I was weak and decided to download it. I am about halfway through my first listen and I am pleased with it. It basically is the logical continuation fo Kill which is absolutely fine with me.

Only problem is the vocal patterns (which I love Corpsegrinder and he's fantastic here and one of the greatest death metal vocalists period); is that how on Kill, all the songs were catchy as fuck and so easy to sing along to. I guess it's just since it's the first listen.

Cyberquake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Well, judging from my promo, it is indeed standard Cannibal fare. But the magical thing about Cannibal Corpse is that they are like Krisiun, Running Wild, or Vader in that they don't really HAVE to change. They do what they do extremely well and have no desire to do anything different. It's pretty much Kill part two, but that's totally fine.
Agree 100%.

Typical Cannibal Corpse release, they have nothing to prove to anyone. I like it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next