Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KangTheTormentor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 am 

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I don't know where else to place this.

I see Faith No More listed in the archives and the description as them being the "forefathers of alternative metal" or something along those lines but I always considered alternative metal as a meaningless term for pseudo metal bands such as the "nu metal" bands.

I personally have never considered Faith No More as a metal band although yes, they did have metal songs but there's a lot of non metal bands that do.

What makes Faith No More a metal band and mallcore bands not? and is "alternative metal" a real form of metal? If so, what are other bands in this style?

Mullan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:46 pm 

There's a topic for whining about bands in the Suggestions and complaints board.

And this is one that I imagine has been gone over several times.

I think pretty much every other alternative metal band on the archives is linked to in the info section for FNM (iirc they are soundgarden, alice in chains helmet and a few others.

Ultimately, borderline bands seem to be basically accepted based on whether the admins like them or not.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:03 pm 

Some of what gets added to the Metal Archives is based on the discretion of the Administrators here. Band rejections and additions aren't exactly a democratized system, but when you are responsible for the upkeep, dues, problems and house cleaning of a database as large as the Metal Archives, personal administrative discretion is justified.

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm 

on this topic i was answered like this: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... highlight=

one could start similar arguments about helmet (which are accepted) and tool (which arent) but that is pointless

if adms do not like an certain alt-band they will not accept it... :brick:

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:38 pm 

KangTheTormentor wrote:
What makes Faith No More a metal band and mallcore bands not? and is "alternative metal" a real form of metal? If so, what are other bands in this style?

Alternative (metal) is a hollow term... it describes nothing.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

KangTheTormentor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:46 pm 

Mullan wrote:
There's a topic for whining about bands in the Suggestions and complaints board.

Haha how am I whining? If I've made a topic you don't want to see try NOT clicking on it instead of making little spiteful remarks like a butt hurt faggot kay?

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Alternative (metal) is a hollow term... it describes nothing

Exactly.

I just find it laughable a site can make such a stand against nu metal bands then claim there's such a thing as "alternative metal" and pick and choose certain little bands they like to be included....

Mullan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

KangTheTormentor wrote:
Mullan wrote:

Haha how am I whining? If I've made a topic you don't want to see try NOT clicking on it instead of making little spiteful remarks like a butt hurt faggot kay?

I think your confusing "spiteful" with "tongue in cheek", but wotevz.

For what it's worth, I don't think Faith No More are metal. However, Introduce Yourself & The Real Thing do have quite a few thrashy riffs on them. Whether that makes them metal enough for the Archives is up to the admins discretion.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, metal IS the alternative. :)

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:36 pm 

I think there is a divide between what metal musicians consider to be metal and what metal fans consider to be metal. Naturally, I side with the fans. A lot of metal musicians would say that System Of A Down's early stuff was 'thrashy' and would therefore call it metal. Musicians hate classifying their stuff, or anybody else's. I believe that classification is essential, though, and I don't consider Faith No More to be a metal band. If they're metal, than what kind of metal are they?

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

KangTheTormentor wrote:
I see Faith No More listed in the archives and the description as them being the "forefathers of alternative metal" or something along those lines but I always considered alternative metal as a meaningless term for pseudo metal bands such as the "nu metal" bands.

Pretty sure FNM are considered the forefathers of nu metal.

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:38 pm 

this fnm-issue seems to be a little weak point of the "MA philosophy/aestetich"

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 pm 

awm wrote:
KangTheTormentor wrote:

What about Helmet? Unsung sounds pretty nu-metal to me.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
awm wrote:
KangTheTormentor wrote:

I don't think there are rap-like vocals anywhere in that song.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:01 am 

Surprise! You're dead!
ha ha ha.. open your eyes

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 am 

Misainzig wrote:
MegaHassan wrote:
awm wrote:
KangTheTormentor wrote:

I don't think there are rap-like vocals anywhere in that song.

I was talking about the nu-metal esque riffage.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:18 am 

Yeah, maybe. 'Epic' predates 'Unsung' by three years, but they stand out for different reasons. FNM for the use of rap and Helmet for the drop-d tuning.

It's sad for me to look at Helmet in that light so I guess I can see where FNM fans are coming from on this. Both are included in the Archives.

Over, might I add, Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, et al.

So to the OP, yeah to an extent it is arbitrary at the fringes. Personally I'd have opted for those 70s progenitors. But hey, they aren't my Archives.

KangTheTormentor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 am 

Mullan wrote:
KangTheTormentor wrote:
Mullan wrote:

I think your confusing "spiteful" with "tongue in cheek", but wotevz.

For what it's worth, I don't think Faith No More are metal. However, Introduce Yourself & The Real Thing do have quite a few thrashy riffs on them. Whether that makes them metal enough for the Archives is up to the admins discretion.

lol sorry for having a fit. I guess I was defensive being prepared for a backlash...

and yeah you're right about the thrashy riffs and "Surprise! You're Dead" and "Epic" are certainly metal songs but it's hardly ENOUGH TO make them a metal band surely..

One of the main reasons why this site is so valuble is the intelligent stance the creators have made against accepting any old shit as metal which makes it so popular and sites like BNR such a joke, and I agree with 99% of the accepted bands and rejected ones BUT I think having Faith No More here negates and counteracts the stance...

They just WEREN'T THAT metal influenced. A few riffs here and there and the majority of their songs where using really light, silly topics.

I think AT LEAST the description of them being forerunners of "alternative metal" should be removed as it's about as valid a term as "nu metal"

For example I think Kiss have far more metal moments than Faith No More yet they're not accepted. "Exciter", "Creatures Of The Night", "Killer", "God Of Thunder"....Heavy guitars and heavy topics.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:40 am 

I recall King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime having some heavy parts though it's probably considered Nu-Metal. Perhaps Avant-Garde metal in places?

Great band anyway.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 am 

Light and silly topics do not make a band more or less metal. A band can sing about fluffy animals and still be metal. It is the music that matters.

If you want to discuss their music, o.k., why not. But to try to turn it into a discussion on their acceptance will lead nowhere. We consider at least some of their albums metal enough and nothing you may say will ever change it. Live with it.

Bands are accepted, because we consider them metal and not because we personally like or dislike them. Why this nonsensical claim gets repeatedly mentioned in discussions is beyond me.

KangTheTormentor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 am 

Witcher wrote:
Light and silly topics do not make a band more or less metal. A band can sing about fluffy animals and still be metal. It is the music that matters.

If you want to discuss their music, o.k., why not. But to try to turn it into a discussion on their acceptance will lead nowhere. We consider at least some of their albums metal enough and nothing you may say will ever change it. Live with it.

Bands are accepted, because we consider them metal and not because we personally like or dislike them. Why this nonsensical claim gets repeatedly mentioned in discussions is beyond me.

I raised enough debates in my OP if you actually saw it...

and the whole subject matter and attitude having no bearing on whether something is metal is a laughable point. By that reckoning anything with guitar distortion can be called metal....

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:05 am 

KangTheTormentor wrote:
Witcher wrote:

I raised enough debates in my OP if you actually saw it...

and the whole subject matter and attitude having no bearing on whether something is metal is a laughable point. By that reckoning anything with guitar distortion can be called metal....

No, laughable point is to suggest that lyrics and attitude make a band metal. Certain type of songwriting and instrumentation make a band metal. Metal is a type of music, nothing more, nothing less.
Attitude does not make ANY music style. Metal bands can write their lyrics about what they want, it does not change the music itself.

Also, which part of "our decision will not change" you do not get? Should I write in capital letters to make it obvious?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:20 am 

I personally think that Faith No More isn't metal. They're harder than most of their similar, pre-mallcore alternative bands and they have a few metal songs but I wouldn't have added them if I was given the choice. Soundgarden is borderline but acceptable, Alice in Chains is pretty much definitely metal but Faith No More doesn't quite count in my books.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 am 

Faith No More is not metal, that much everyone here knows. But it has been established that they are here because one of the admins wants them to be here, and that's fine with me. The site always had a few exceptions, and there's no big problem with that. The people pay for the site and they deserve at least a little leeway for that.

If one was to get upset about anything it would be more appropriate to direct one's attention to all the hardcore bands accepted by moderators who don't pay a penny for this site. Like I said, it's no use getting worked up over admin-approved exceptions, but some of what the lower ranking staff throws on the site is certainly in need of some scrutiny.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:28 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Faith No More is not metal, that much everyone here knows. But it has been established that they are here because one of the admins wants them to be here, and that's fine with me. The site always had a few exceptions, and there's no big problem with that. The people pay for the site and they deserve at least a little leeway for that.

If one was to get upset about anything it would be more appropriate to direct one's attention to all the hardcore bands accepted by moderators who don't pay a penny for this site. Like I said, it's no use getting worked up over admin-approved exceptions, but some of what the lower ranking staff throws on the site is certainly in need of some scrutiny.

Droneriot, if you think a band which was not metal was accepted, them you can ask in the proper thread.

If you talk about metalcore, then there are quite clear rules, which have nothing to do with your personal strange conception on what is metal.

But stop making your cheeky remarks about the work of moderators, who accept bands according to the written rules and not to prejudices. You Pro-Pain review shows, that you are the last who should try to argue about -core bands and pretend to be unbiased.

As for Faith no More, they were accepted because the owners fell they are metal enough, not just because they want them here. It was said repeatedly here and the least what you could do is to not lie.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 am 

Faith No More isn't a band that ever released a predominantly metal album. It is an exception like Elend or Mortiis, everyone who's been to this site for more than five minutes knows this.

And as for metalcore (and deathcore in particular), it is quite obvious that different moderators interpret the official rules quite differently, after all, you're a pretty diverse bunch. Some are pretty strict, while others act like everything with blastbeats and growled vocals is death metal. That is unless it's goregrind, because if it's an extreme version of old school hardcore, it's still just punk, but if it's an extreme version of new school hardcore, it's pure fucking metal.

And what the hell is your issue with my Pro-Pain review? I probably knew the album when you were still listening to Roxette and hadn't even heard of metal, so take my word on that.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Faith No More isn't a band that ever released a predominantly metal album. It is an exception like Elend or Mortiis, everyone who's been to this site for more than five minutes knows this.

And what the hell is your issue with my Pro-Pain review? I probably knew the album when you were still listening to Roxette and hadn't even heard of metal, so take my word on that.

No, if you will Morrigan will confirm that it is here because of its metalness.
We do not play "everyone knows it". Cite official source, a previous response, or be silent.

As for metalcore, if it is a mixture of death metal and hardcore, then it is added.
I know you too well, you are throwing along random comments like that, but have nothing to back it up except for you subjective views.

As for the other issue, I have listened to metal long before Pro- Pain released their first album, but that only shows which spectacular self-righteous insultive prick you are.

Last edited by Witcher on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:30 am 

EntilZha wrote:

Faith No More is ok but Last Days Of Humanity are not?

I smell bullshit.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:32 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

Yes, they are grindcore and were discussed 100 times before.
Both bands are completely unrelated, so stop making nonsensical comparisons like that.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 am 

Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

Both bands are completely unrelated, so stop making nonsensical comparisons like that.

I wasn't making a comparison?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

You were making a cause for a grindcore band using stylistically unrelated band - the worst you can do here.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 am 

Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

You were making a cause for a grindcore band using stylistical
ly unrelated band - the worst you can do here.

ok whatever you say mr. smartypants

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

I see, mindset (and maybe the real age) of an 8 year old. I only wonder, why do you think you will come far with it in here.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am 

LDOH has nothing to do with anything.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:49 am 

Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

I see, mindset (and maybe the real age) of an 8 year old. I only wonder, why do you think you will come far with it in here.

you underestimate me.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
Witcher wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

I smell bullshit.

you underestimate me.

Sorry, 6 years old.

But to continue in this style really has no sense.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 pm 

If FNM were an exception like Elend, it wouldn't say "Heavy metal" in the genre. Feel free to disagree, no one cares though.

spectreofdeath, stop being a moron, lest Nightgaunt or myself make you stop ourselves.

This thread is going nowhere fast so I'm putting it out of its misery.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.