Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bryce288
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:47 am 

Got my first concert coming up soon, and was wondering what to expect. The bands playing are Satyricon, Septic flesh, and sadly cradle of filth.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:55 am 

Fat chicks. Lots of 'em.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 am 

i swear i saw this same thread title somewhere else in this section earlier..maybe one whole thread should be dedicated to 'first concerts'

i would agree with what nolan said, but the fat chicks would be dressed in black and there for COF..they may actually look like Sarah Jezebel Deva herself (although she has a magnificent rack and isn't "ugly"). enjoy the music nonetheless. COF are a nice bunch of chaps, and Dani comes up to your waist..but it's okay.

Last edited by Eurnonymous on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Fat chicks. Lots of 'em.

Yup, unfortunately...

You should also expect over an hour of boredom and headaches associated with the listening of live Cradle of Filth. They may have some good songs but they make a habit of playing some of their worst ones live (admittedly along with some good ones).

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Fat chicks. Lots of 'em.

Yup, unfortunately...

You should also expect over an hour of boredom and headaches associated with the listening of live Cradle of Filth. They may have some good songs but they make a habit of playing some of their worst ones live (admittedly along with some good ones).

recent touring shows that they have brought back their stage show at least (including chicks wearing metal plates and wielding saws), so the boredom wouldn't be there today. of course, the videos i saw were all from the European Tour which was completed recently, so who knows what they are doing for America.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Fat chicks. Lots of 'em.

Yup, unfortunately...

recent touring shows that they have brought back their stage show at least (including chicks wearing metal plates and wielding saws), so the boredom wouldn't be there today. of course, the videos i saw were all from the European Tour which was completed recently, so who knows what they are doing for America.

I saw them on a past North American tour (January 2007 or something) and I remember being bored beyond reason. I spent more time looking at the hot goth chick dancing next to me than at the band or the stage.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 am 

My first show was Skeletonwitch and whatever assorted other local bands playing at a dingy local divebar with loads of smelly drunk people present. Quite a number of ridiculous memories at the bar. This was quite a while before the Witch became the weird phenomenon they are now, I might add.

Fuckhammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 am 

Anyone know how Septic Flesh is live? They'd be the only reason I'd go when this tour comes to Seattle.

Edit: Unless Satyricon still plays stuff off Nemesis Divina.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 am 

My first concert was Slipknot back in early 2005... *sigh*

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 am 

I was basically front row at my first concert, thirteen years old... With loads of fat guys jumping arround to Finntroll. ~~

In any case, what you should expect? Depend on what you're out for... Front row banging action, you have to look forward at getting delirious in case you haven't drunk a lot before you go there, that is if there's a wild crowd though.

Otherwise... Meh, I don't know. Depend on the sound levels, I think they keep it arround 100DB here in Sweden because of some regulations, so they can't play louder, which mean I'm doing relatively fine without ear plugs. I guess I would use them if they were louder though, or if I went more frequently... I've already noticed some detoriation on my hearing.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

DerickVonDerickson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 am 

My first concert was ICP. My first metal concert is going to be April 7th, when I see Exodus, Kreator, Warbringer, Epicurean and Belphegor. I know nothing about Epicurean, or Belpheggor. I just saw that they would be at the concert, that I'm going to.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I saw them on a past North American tour (January 2007 or something) and I remember being bored beyond reason. I spent more time looking at the hot goth chick dancing next to me than at the band or the stage.

i saw them on the Viva La Bands 07 tour in Octoboer, with Vains of Jenna, CKY and Gwar. i only went for COF and had never seen any of these bands live, but Gwar put on a fun stage show and caused me to spend the rest of the night covered in a green goo that represented semen and was shot from a giant dick used as a stage prop. the guys from every band but COF were out chilling amongst the crowd after their sets, but met COF outside of their tour bus before they went on to play their set anyways.

but i am looking forward to far better shows in 09. 08 didn't bring much, aside from Nine Inch Nails twice and Metallica.

and to the person who asked, from every setlist i've viewed in recent times, Satyricon still play Mother North at least. it is generally their closing song of the night. that is about as good as it gets, though. i have never seen them live, so i can't offer anything else on them.

JustinBaker8484
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:39 am 

My first concert was Nile and The Faceless. Ah yeah good shit 2 great bands.

Jarnroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:44 am 

JustinBaker8484 wrote:
My first concert was Nile and The Faceless. Ah yeah good shit 2 great bands.

This thread isn't about telling what bands you saw for your first concert though but to tell someone who've never been to one what to expect.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 am 

Sounds like there'll be a lot of goth chicks hanging around. As mentioned earlier, most of them will be fat. Sometimes they get rather huggy, which is okay when they're of reasonable weight but somewhat uncomfortable when they're an eyeshadowed behemoth.

Jarnroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 am 

Is that how it is in the UK/US/AUS? From what I've gathered here in Sweden, most of the chicks that are into Cradle and all that aren't fat, all though I guess those who are actually are attracted to them.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 am 

First concert eh. Get in the mosh, it's what a concert is all about in my opinion. Personally I feel like I'm wasting my time unless im in the pit, I get bored just standing back and feel like I could be just watching a DVD or something. Also don't be ashamed to wear earplugs if you find it too loud, having tinnitus or losing some of your hearing is not worth being "cooler" at a concert.

My first big concert was Pantera in 01, but had been to quite a few smaller gigs beforehand.

Jarnroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 am 

spoonhead wrote:
I get bored just standing back and feel like I could be just watching a DVD or something.

It's not like that's the only alternative to enjoying a concert, save the mosh. I hate moshing myself and rather stand at the first three rows or so headbanging, throwing my fists in the air, tapping the rhythm at my thigh while headbanging, yelling out the lyrics - that sort of stuff. Moshers just ruin that for me though, since they come flying like rockets every now and then - quite annoying when you're trying to enjoy a show and not a brawl.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:35 am 

Fuckhammer wrote:
Anyone know how Septic Flesh is live? They'd be the only reason I'd go when this tour comes to Seattle.

Edit: Unless Satyricon still plays stuff off Nemesis Divina.

Awesome. I saw them when they were touring with Vader. It was a little too crowded because the venue was rather small, you could tell that even the band had barely enough space, but all in all it was really great. If I remember correctly the set-list was mostly the last two albums. My only complain was that it seemed too short, I hope I can see them when they're headlining.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:30 am 

I seen Cradle of Filth live with 3 Inches of Blood 2 years ago and it wasn't bad. Yes there was goth chicks, didn't see overweight ones :lol:. And between 3 Inches of Blood's vocalist and Dani Filth I had a bad headache after.

Last.fm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:10 pm 

I'd leave after Satyricon. Even though even they play disappointing setlists now, they do still close with Mother North and Cradle Of Filth could not top that. Then again, I really don't like CoF in general.

Anggaaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:02 am 

If were you i wouldnt go, ofcourse, thats just my opinion since all the band suck major cock

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:17 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Fat chicks. Lots of 'em.

...And an angry midget on the stage.

Edit: Some serious stuff:
My first concert was a Cof one as well man, I don't know where you are from but here in Canada or let's say North America you get retarded/violent moshpits, that are so huge that not even the first row can watch/enjoy the show. It really depends on the city as well and the metal/psycho scene there.
All in all I had to focus on not being squished by the fat chicks (see above) and other crazy Cradle fans.
I stayed up front in the middle the whole show, because it was my first one. My muscles were sore for 2 days because of all the resistance I had to put. People just kept pushing and pushing to be up front. Overall it was an ok show, even though at that time cradle wasn't my music it still brought back memories and they played some good songs.
So to exaggerate a bit you will have to expect putting up with people who want to mosh (unless you want to mosh and you find it "fun", and/or you will have to fight for your spot. But as I said before it really depends where the show will be.

Hope you will have great fun, wear earplugs, you can get professional ones at any music store that don't cut the high frequencies for around 20$. The foam earplugs are crap but still better than nothing. Also expect pricey alcohol.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.