Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ernani
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 pm 

Metallica was founded in 1982 by singer/rhythm guitar James H. and drummer Lars U.

2 years later Sepultura was founded by singer/rhythm guitar Max C. and drummer Igor C.

Metallica had a band member fired just prior to the recording of their first release, in1983. This release is today regarded as the first of its genre: thrash metal.

2 years later Sepultura also had a band member fired just prior to the recording of their first release. This release today is regarded as the first of it’s genre: death metal.

In 1985 Metallica’s fired member released his debut with the band he’d formed as singer/guitarist (Megadeth). The 2 bands never went well together and occasionally had fights – both verbal and physical.

2 years later Sepultura’s fired member released his debut with the band he’d formed as singer/guitarist (Sarcofago). The 2 bands never went well together and occasionally had fights – both verbal and physical.

After 2 great full-lenghts, Metallica reached what many believe to be their apex in their third album (Master of Puppets), which is acclaimed as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time.

After 2 great full-lenghts, Sepultura too reached what many believe to be their apex. Their third album (Beneath the Remains) is also acclaimed as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time.

2 years after Master… Mettalica released another great thrash metal album and established themselves at the top of the genre.

2 years after Beneath… Sepultura too released another great thrash metal album and established themselves at the top of the genre.

In 1991 Metallica released their breakthrough album, leaving behind thrash metal but gaining a huge following. Sadly, after that the band went through big changes and never again gained back their awesome glory.

2 years later Sepultura too released their breakthrough album, leaving behind thrash metal but gaining a huge following. Sadly, after that the band went through big changes and never again gained back their awesome glory

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:35 pm 

This is definitely a coincidence, not a "fractal" anomaly.

Furthermore, I have never heard anyone on this site praise Beneath The Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Feel free to correct me, and I have not actually heard the album, but I'm sure I haven't seen many posts about it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:41 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Furthermore, I have never heard anyone on this site praise Beneath The Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time.

Really? I see it all the time here.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:41 pm 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Furthermore, I have never heard anyone on this site praise Beneath The Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time.

Then perhaps I need to open my eyes more. :lol:

...and listen to the album myself, perhaps.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:48 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

You definitely should. Everything from Sepultura up until Chaos A.D. is great death/thrash.

Last edited by Slats on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:49 pm 

Slats wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

You definitely should, everything from Sepultura up until Chaos A.D. is great death/thrash.

Though decidedly more to the latter. Which is great. Chaos A.D. is the first of their groove metal sound though.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:57 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Furthermore, I have never heard anyone on this site praise Beneath The Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Feel free to correct me, and I have not actually heard the album, but I'm sure I haven't seen many posts about it.

I'm pretty sure quite a few people regard Beneath the Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Some may prefer Schizophrenia, of course, though. I've seen that, as well.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:01 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I know you're a huge Chris Barnes fan so I can't really recommend anything close to the vocal style on Sepultura.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:03 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I'm pretty sure quite a few people regard Beneath the Remains as one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Some may prefer Schizophrenia, of course, though. I've seen that, as well.

I'm going to have to check out some early Sepultura, then. I'll more than likely begin with Beneath The Remains and take it from there.

This is reminding me of all those bands I haven't checked out that everyone talks about. Definitely a new years resolution for 2009.

marktheviktor wrote:
I know you're a huge Chris Barnes fan so I can't really recommend anything close to the vocal style on Sepultura.

Actually, I hate Chris Barnes. :lol: You've confused me with someone else.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:07 pm 

I think Beneath The Remains is a really great thrash album, although I'm not a thrasher.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:19 pm 

I haven't heard Beneath the Remains either, but Schizophrenia is most definitely a classic.

I've also never seen Sepultura's debut hailed as the first Death Metal album. It was certainly a seminal release, but it doesn't get the same widespread acknowledgment as, say, Seven Churches.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Slats wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

You definitely should, everything from Sepultura up until Chaos A.D. is great death/thrash.

Though decidedly more to the latter. Which is great. Chaos A.D. is the first of their groove metal sound though.

I fucking love Chaos A.D., and that's mainly because of my attachment to the ambiance of that album, rather than if the album was "true thrash".

Ernani
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:11 pm 

Tastes vary. Of course not everyone out there believe Beneath.. is one of the greatest thrash albums ever, or that Bestial Devastation is the first death release. or even about kill 'em all for that matter("welcome to hell" anyone?).

The reason of the post was not to express an opinion but to point to the repetition in the development of the two bands; To me was quite interesting to find out that many coincidences.

(term "fractal" was used due to the the fact that a fractal repeats itself at any of its parts)

to me Master is not the best thrash album; but the best ALBUM in any genre.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:23 pm 

Master is completely overrated. RTL is better! haha~

I always thought Possessed recorded the first Death metal album with 1985's Seven Churches.

Ernani
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:07 pm 

FragKrag wrote:

I always thought Possessed recorded the first Death metal album with 1985's Seven Churches.

85's "Seven Churches" is a great death metal prototype, still very thrash. give 85's Bestial Devastation a try...

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:20 pm 

Metallica didn't release the first thrash album and Sepultura didn't release the first death metal album. I stopped reading your shitty post after that.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:24 pm 

FragKrag wrote:

agreed...

FragKrag wrote:

I always thought it more a thrash album....

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.