Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:03 pm 

Personally, I'm against it. Now that I see tons of stupid mallcore-type kids running around sporting Maiden tees when all they knew existed were slipknot and disturbed 2 years ago. Not to mention, record companies' urgent need to Re-release EVERY fucking album known to man it seems. And the DETHKLOK show tops it all off, and helps lame kids who know nothing about metal to all of a sudden be informed of the existence of king diamond and sepultura. All metal's "resurgence" is IMO is a big fucking dollar sign, with greedy businessmen leading the way and poser kids licking their balls while they sweat from raking in all their cash.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:05 pm 

I don't go to the malls because of that very reason. Too many teenagers sporting those awful bands. And they think they're dark too.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm 

Yeah, it's a big dollar sign and blah blah blah, but so what? Honestly, everyone fretting about the integrity of metal is silly. The fact that some dumb kids hopped onto a trend and now like Maiden doesn't bother me at all whatsoever. I have nothing to do with them and if the general public confuses me as being one of those kids, I don't let that bother me because I don't care. In a few years, they'll have a new trend. I wouldn't worry about it.

Listen to what YOU like and quit thinking about other people's inability to do the same.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm 

I apologize in advance for the sarcasm.

whiplash50 wrote:
Personally, I'm against it. Now that I see tons of stupid mallcore-type kids running around sporting Maiden tees when all they knew existed were slipknot and disturbed 2 years ago.

Who cares.

Quote:
Not to mention, record companies' urgent need to Re-release EVERY fucking album known to man it seems.

So you're opposed to being able to buy albums in places other than eBay, for prices under $150? Hmm.

Quote:
And the DETHKLOK show tops it all off, and helps lame kids who know nothing about metal to all of a sudden be informed of the existence of king diamond and sepultura.

Doesn't bother me at all. Metal culture is too insular as it is. I could never get behind that ludicrous, adolescent us-vs.-them mentality.

Quote:
All metal's "resurgence" is IMO is a big fucking dollar sign, with greedy businessmen leading the way and poser kids licking their balls while they sweat from raking in all their cash.

That's true enough, at least. But we should all be very familiar with it - at least those of us who live in capitalist countries. It's not new, and therefore I can hardly get all outraged about it when seeing it for the one millionth time.

Dark Descent Records

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:21 pm 

The kids are annoying and Dethklok sucks, but the resurgence of metal is a good thing because it makes the music available and easy to find, remastered or not. Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing is quite simply insane.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 pm 

Let me put it this way. I'm a Christian, these "posers" are Mormons. I know they're pretty much making a mockery of my beliefs, but at the end of the day, I don't care. I just let them walk on by and let them do their own thing, knowing that my heart is in the right place.
Death metal is eternal.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:44 pm 

Do think metal is some kind of exclusive club that stopped taking members the moment you joined?

No one else is allowed to discover metal after you did?

Grow up and get the fuck over it.

SwedishRawPower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:55 pm 

I'm 13 years old myself and it really sucks to see all these guys in my own age going around thinking they're SO metal with Korn t-shirts.
Well...at least Maiden and such is still going strong, and not only Nu metal and mallcore...

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The kids are annoying and Dethklok sucks, but the resurgence of metal is a good thing because it makes the music available and easy to find, remastered or not. Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing is quite simply insane.

Exactly. I happen to really like the fact that they are re-releasing so many albums because it gives me a chance to find stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to. I missed out on the NWOBHM, the thrash wave, early death and black metal and so forth. Now I can catch up.

Jourdon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 pm 

In the general, most broad sense, I don't care about the rising resurgence of metal-interest, especially among today's adolescent youth. I don't let it (the "scene" individuals wearing, for instance, Iron Maiden tee-shirts) bother me, and I simply ignore the entire trend, fad, or whatever you may call it.

However, what is nice about this "trend", I suppose, are the re-issues (as some individuals have already mentioned), as then I can purchase material, that might otherwise, have been extremely expensive and/or difficult to obtain, such as Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death, before it was re-issued by Power Play Records.

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:16 pm 

It's not the scene kids themselves that bother me, I could care less what they do/think, but their actions create a negative stereotype for metal in general. Because of this, when people hear the word 'metal', they're going to associate it with kids like that, rather than what metal is really about. It perpetuates ignorance, really.

Jourdon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:22 pm 

Hjorlejf wrote:
It's not the scene kids themselves that bother me, I could care less what they do/think, but their actions create a negative stereotype for metal in general. Because of this, when people hear the word 'metal', they're going to associate it with kids like that, rather than what metal is really about. It perpetuates ignorance, really.

I'm not attempting to create an argument, however, might I ask, what "actions" that these individuals perform that create a "negative stereotype for metal in general"? I'm simply curious, that's all.

It might just be within your area of residence, however, those type of people (the "scene kids") really do not do much to bring forth a negative impression of metal, as from the impression that I had from your response.

More-so, this is derived from a standpoint that metal in itself, has always received a rather negative view from the general public, well in the United States, at least - I'm not sure how it is in other, let's say, European countries.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:24 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
...running around sporting Maiden tees when all they knew existed were slipknot and disturbed 2 years ago.

Two years ago, the only bands I listened to were Marilyn Manson, Metallica, and System of a Down.
Does this make me any less of a metalhead?
Does this invalidate my preference for the bands I currently like?

I would have to say no. After all, everyone has to start somewhere, and entry level bands such as Slipknot, Disturbed and even Iron Maiden to some extent, will eventually lead the truly dedicated to the unholy void of true metaldom.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:47 pm 

In summary of the other posts here: if you think metal is "your" genre, go away.

If you like metal enough, you would not give a shit if the whole world listened to Scream Bloody Gore, because it does not affect the quality of the music at all. So whats the problem?

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:58 pm 

I used to be like this when I was 14. I used to think it was a matter of 'us vs them'. There's very little in the way of a line you can draw between the true and the "poser kids" although there are differences. Metal becoming popular means people are aware of the good stuff. I'd rather people were aware of it than it just being clung onto in the underground by people who think it's "our" music.

Time always tells who's dedicated and who's just jumping on the bandwagon because they can't think for themselves.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 pm 

To all the crybabies telling me to "grow up" and whatnot, it sounds like I hit a little too close to home eh? But that aside, I never was trying to imply that metal is "mine", which is just retarded. I was simply pointing out the fact that it's resurgence is being directed at a bunch of posers for money, plain and simple. Don't like what I think? Nobody's forcing you to read my rants and reply to them. Just do as you told me and ignore it...

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm 

I don't care if someone who wears a Slipknot t-shirt thinks they're "brutal as fuck". They don't irritate me. What irritates me is the people who constantly whine about posers, emos, screamo, metalcore, etc etc. This is the most repulsive aspect of metal culture, the constant whining, and I would love to see it removed. I don't currently hang around "genuine" (haha what the fuck) metal fans because of this, there's too many relentless idiots and arseholes. Perhaps it's just this forum that has given me a bad impression.

"Oh no, trends! They offend my sensible sensibilities! ps: SATAN DEATH GORE"

Metal culture is trash, hopefully self-devouring.

that was fun

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:
I don't care if someone who wears a Slipknot t-shirt thinks they're "brutal as fuck". They don't irritate me. What irritates me is the people who constantly whine about posers, emos, screamo, metalcore, etc etc. This is the most repulsive aspect of metal culture, the constant whining, and I would love to see it removed. I don't currently hang around "genuine" (haha what the fuck) metal fans because of this, there's too many relentless idiots and arseholes. Perhaps it's just this forum that has given me a bad impression.

that was fun

Very true. I can't stand those types either, and even though it's probably hard to tell from this thread, I'm not like that myself. It's pretty funny actually how much time and effort some douchebag metalheads put into hating EMO's and whatnot...how lame. I think it goes something like this: There's the elitist metalheads (the douches who whine about emo's etc...) and the diehards who don't really give a fuck and just live for metal, which is how everyone should learn how to be.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:09 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:

that was fun

Gross exaggeration, even for what goes on in this forum. Most of the "true" metal fan's actual (As in, in the context of real life) denouncing of "mallcore kids" or "scenefags" rarely ever goes past seeing one in passing at the mall and saying "what a homo" over to you rather than going on some long ass rant about trendy folk destroying the "culture" (Which many of them might see as stupid, themselves).

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:12 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
There's the elitist metalheads (the douches who whine about emo's etc...) and the diehards who don't really give a fuck and just live for metal, which is how everyone should learn how to be.

Well there you go. Myself and others in this thread advocate the second position.

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:15 pm 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Gross exaggeration, even for what goes on in this forum. Most of the "true" metal fan's actual (As in, in the context of real life) denouncing of "mallcore kids" or "scenefags" rarely ever goes past seeing one in passing at the mall and saying "what a homo" over to you rather than going on some long ass rant about trendy folk destroying the culture.

And this still pisses me off. I don't like arseholes, and someone who calls someone a homo simply because they wear different clothes / listen to different music immediately looks worse in my eyes. It's like a fan of regular (radio) music seeing a metalhead and saying "what a fucken smelly idiot", I see them both as being idiotic.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:15 pm 

Well it's always the case that someone will want to make money from the resurgence of a particular genre. Metal is just a subculture and this happens to all subcultures. Only some quarters of metal escape this due to their controversial nature. I'm attracted to those kinds of metal I must admit, because they have true values which can't really be sold out and cheapened.

I'm not pissed off that people lament that nothing is sacred. I can imagine it pisses people off that there are a lot of morons out there who are waiting for the next thing to be marketed to them. It only really pisses me off when they claim to represent metal (one of many reasons I'm embarassed about metal sometimes). The horn sign gets on my tits, personally. In fact, it doesn't matter how "true" someone is, if they're dumb as fuck, it's embarassing.

Also I hate this "live for metal" bullshit. Metal's my favourite music but that's it. It's just a style of music. I like it because it's great, not because it's metal. You're not special for being a metal fan, until you learn to think outside of petty subcultural grounds, you're part of the same big socio-economic system everyone else is.

Just a few thoughts.

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:
Gross exaggeration, even for what goes on in this forum. Most of the "true" metal fan's actual (As in, in the context of real life) denouncing of "mallcore kids" or "scenefags" rarely ever goes past seeing one in passing at the mall and saying "what a homo" over to you rather than going on some long ass rant about trendy folk destroying the culture.

And this still pisses me off. I don't like arseholes, and someone who calls someone a homo simply because they wear different clothes / listen to different music immediately looks worse in my eyes. It's like a fan of regular (radio) music seeing a metalhead and saying "what a fucken smelly idiot", I see them both as being idiotic.

To me, it's about as big of an issue as the whole "mallcore kiddies are stealing OUR music!" is, which is that it isn't one at all. Considering you don't associate with such people, anger seems like a wasted emotion in response to it.

NeglectedField wrote:
The horn sign gets on my tits, personally. In fact, it doesn't matter how "true" someone is, if they're dumb as fuck, it's embarassing.

NeglectedField wrote:
Also I hate this "live for metal" bullshit. Metal's my favourite music but that's it. It's just a style of music. I like it because it's great, not because it's metal. You're not special for being a metal fan, until you learn to think outside of petty subcultural grounds, you're part of the same big socio-economic system everyone else is.

Both of these posts = :beer:

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:32 pm 

To me, it's about as big of an issue as the whole "mallcore kiddies are stealing OUR music!" is, which is that it isn't one at all. Considering you don't associate with such people, anger seems like a wasted emotion in response to it.

Probably true, to be honest. I just think people should chill (that's rich coming from someone who's just worked himself into an internet rage, but hey).

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:

Probably true, to be honest. I just think people should chill (that's rich coming from someone who's just worked himself into an internet rage, but hey).

:lol: It's cool, man, we've all got our peeves.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:42 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
Personally, I'm against it. Now that I see tons of stupid mallcore-type kids running around sporting Maiden tees when all they knew existed were slipknot and disturbed 2 years ago. Not to mention, record companies' urgent need to Re-release EVERY fucking album known to man it seems. And the DETHKLOK show tops it all off, and helps lame kids who know nothing about metal to all of a sudden be informed of the existence of king diamond and sepultura. All metal's "resurgence" is IMO is a big fucking dollar sign, with greedy businessmen leading the way and poser kids licking their balls while they sweat from raking in all their cash.

YEAH let's listen to Pantera while we're beating them up

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:

Metal fans get worked up about too many things ;-)

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:46 pm 

This entire fucking world is a dollar sign. It is in the greedy and selfish nature of humans to be corrupt, and put meaningless illusions of "wealth" as justification for all of their actions.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Prominence wrote:
This entire fucking world is a dollar sign. It is in the greedy and selfish nature of humans to be corrupt, and put meaningless illusions of "wealth" as justification for all of their actions.

That's because without it the world economy would crash (of course there are going to be people who are going to horde money or any form of primary trade) it's just the way of things and there's no point over-intellectualising it.

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:05 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:

Indeed!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:12 pm 

If you're "scene", you get a kick in the head. If you're a new fan though, then good for you. The more new kids discover that real metal is not the mallcore shit that MTV tells them is metal, the better. Just wipe your feet.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:36 pm 

Who gives a shit? If some kid who listens to Slipknot has a shirt on from Burzum, fuck it. Who cares? That's more publicity for Burzum irregardless of whether the kid even knows who they/he is.

Metal is a genre of music. It's not your's, nor is it mine. If someone listens to metal, fine. If someones a poser and wears shirts that he doesn't even listen to the band, fine. Does it really make an impact upon your life?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:06 pm 

I'll never understand people like NeglectedField who only look for pleasant sounds without any meaning behind them. It's like people playing computer (or console) RPGs only to look at the pretty graphics but without paying attention to the story. I mean, to each their own, if you like being superficial and hollow then that's your choice and I'm fine with it, it just doesn't make any fucking sense at all.

Especially considering how much more metal is when you actually put a minimum of effort into getting what it's about (and the same can be said about aforementioned RPGs).

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:17 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
Two years ago, the only bands I listened to were Marilyn Manson, Metallica, and System of a Down.
Does this make me any less of a metalhead?
Does this invalidate my preference for the bands I currently like?

I would have to say no. After all, everyone has to start somewhere, and entry level bands such as Slipknot, Disturbed and even Iron Maiden to some extent, will eventually lead the truly dedicated to the unholy void of true metaldom.

Being a fan of metal isn't a matter of how long you've been at it, but how sincere you are. If you're honest about it, you're as much of a metal fan as a 20-year veteran of the scene.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:32 pm 

53PUL+UR4 R 50 KUL+, D00D!!!!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:40 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
record companies' urgent need to Re-release EVERY fucking album known to man it seems.

Oh no, we can buy albums now that we wouldn't have been able to get otherwise? What a disaster!

ENTER BIG SARCASM SIGNS HERE

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:45 pm 

I can see why you would find it annoying kids wearing the bands you have liked for years T Shirts but then again why do you really care all that is happerning is the band is making more money from these kids and you can still be a die hard fan with all the orginal CDs not the remasted ones these kids are buying.

differer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:08 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
I was simply pointing out the fact that it's resurgence is being directed at a bunch of posers for money, plain and simple.

That's the way it is, has been, and will be. I wouldn't consider the "creation" of new metal fans a bad thing, even if someone does make money from it. Some of those posers will actually become the new you, so to speak. ;)

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:22 pm 

Weren't the 80's the same way with hair metal? Yeah there's always a commercialized version of everything, that targets annoying people who think they're really dark and shit. But who cares some people like Slipknot and go to the malls and talk about how rebel they are? It's their loss.

Skull_Knight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:25 pm 

In my opinion I think it's great if someone discovers a great band like Iron Maiden. I know I wasn't around during Maiden's golden years (well I was way too young anyway lol) so I don't feel that young people shouldn't be allowed to discover these great bands. With the return of metal there are more fans, even if some may be deemed 'undesirable' because they like Slipknot. As mentioned earlier here metal is not exclusive to one person so everyone will have different likes and dislikes. I know it's dumb to think that since I'm a fan of metal there shouldn't be any new people who learn about it.
I personally have no problems with the re-releasing of albums because sometimes the have added material. Whether it be live versions of a song or a b-side I think that's really cool.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next