Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm 

Any fans of the Floyd on this forum? Pink Floyd are probably my favorite band outside of metal. I love almost all of their albums (can't really get into the Wall and everything after). Though, my favorites are the pre-DSotM records.

~Guest 153339
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:57 pm 

I'm a major fan of Pink Floyd. They are definately one of my favorite bands. "The Wall" is just a work of art, and will always remain a work of art standing out within the realm of progressive rock.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

I enjoy the Dark Side of the Moon and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Other than those 2, I've never really given them a listen.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:02 pm 

Love 'em. I find Animals to be the best, followed by Wish You Were here. And then yeah, the other more visible ones like The Wall and DSOTM are great of course. One I never hear discussed that I love to bits is Atom Heart Mother-- anybody else into that one? It's so quirky and bizarre but really interesting and entertaining. Maybe not their 'A' material, but the opening suite and Adam's Psychadelic Breakfast in particular make me very happy.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:25 pm 

Love everything up to and including The Wall. Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are my two favourites, if I had to pick them.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:32 pm 

Pink Floyd are one of the many classic rock bands I like. Their music is very mellow and thoughtful. However, I don't own any albums by them since I've never brought myself to buy them. The Wall would probably be my favorite album though.

Syd's work with the band is also great. "Astronomy Domine" is a fantastic song.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

David Gilmour is one of the best guitarists in rock music, and Pink Floyd in general is such a great band. Their performance at 'Live at Pompeii' is so cool, with lots of random jams and general awesomeness all around. My favorite albums by them are DSOTM and The Wall, which are 2 of the most beautiful records I have ever heard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm 

I guess I just don't "get" this band, despite respecting their influence and yadda yadda. They've never done much for me. I originally just chalked it up to not listening hard enough, but now I just see that they're not my kind of band. Never been a fan of this style in the first place.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:42 pm 

I wasn't too crazy about them at first either, but something finally clicked and now I enjoy the majority of their music.

JohnGalt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:45 pm 

I definitely don't listen to them as much as I should, but they're great. 'Wish You Were Here' is my favorite as of right now.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:48 pm 

Atom Heart Mother is definitely underrated. Probably because the band hates those early records including Ummagumma and their movie albums.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 pm 

DSOTM + Wizard of Oz = Complete awesome-ness. I prefer to listen to Animals though, I just enjoy it much more than DSOTM.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm 

That's so weird, I was just satisfying my Pink Floyd fix today. I've never heard any early Pink Floyd till last night. I was only exposed to the big 2 of the albums, and I could never quite digest it right. I thought its a bit pretentious actually haha. The early stuff though is to my psychedelic liking especially Piper at the Gates of Dawn, More Soundtrack, and Obscure by Clouds.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

Last edited by noobsofsocialreality on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:02 pm 

I'm a fan of Pink Floyd aswell, especially the albums Wish You Were Here and Animals. My favourite songs are Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs and Echoes. I can't put my finger on what I like about this band, but I guess it's basically what these songs have. The most I enjoy Gilmour's guitar solos and the vocal melodies.

I also like the early psychedelic stuff, but I'm not too familiar with post The Wall releases aside from their final studio album.

Mullan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:54 pm 

Pink Floyd are pretty cool. I like most of their "popular" stuff, and I own that best of collection, Echoes or something. All the songs are good, but from what I've heard, Pink Floyd are much better when you listen to their albums as a whole. I've never really bothered to look into them further though, really, aside from getting Another brick in the wall parts 1 and 3.

Oh, and Bike is the best song ever. No, seriously.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 pm 

They're pretty awesome, yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of their first album just because it's so strange at times, but their later stuff such as Animals, Wish You Were Here and the ones that everyone has heard (Dark Side, The Wall etc) is the era which I usually listen to.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 pm 

Huge fan of their 70's stuff, not so much their 60's stuff. My appreciation for Pink Floyd has surpassed my love for metal or anything else. My favorite thing about Pink is that even when the music is somewhat mellow and laid back there is always the sense of desperation and turmoil lurking just below the surface. Their music moves me like nothing else ever has or probably ever will.

The Wall is one of the crowning musical achievements of the 20th century imo. The movie is the closest that music has ever come to moving me to tears.

I do believe that I'm going to go on a Pink Floyd bender over the next week or so.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm 

Strange if there was no Pink Floyd thread before. Anyway, I am a huge fan of the Waters era, from Meddle through to The Wall. DSOTM is easily my favourite and Animals and Meddle vie for the second spot. My most favourite songs of theirs though have Wright's mark on them - Great Gig In The Sky, Us and Them, even Echoes. It is sad that he went to the grave just as unsung as he was when he was part of the band, by far the best composer of the three, leaving out Mason who contributed alright but far less than the rest.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 pm 

Love, love, love Floyd. One of the finest bands to ever play music, regardless of genres.

With the exception of a few-the studio disc of Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother are a little sloppy and the the two soundtracks; More and Obscured By Clouds; are overall weak-the Barrett and Waters eras of this band is immaculate.

But, by far and away, my personal favorite is The Final Cut-severely criminally underrated.

The Gilmour era, however, is mediocre at best. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is a pitiful Gilmour solo effort and The Division Bell is oh so close, but no cigar.

I highly recommend the Waters solo records; especially Amused To Death which is the finest Floyd record since The Final Cut.

Fuck, now I gotta put some Floyd on...
Obliteration

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36 pm 

Been a fan since 1980. My favorites are Piper, Animals, and Meddle. Of course DSOTM, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here are givens.

Most recently I scored for free the CD remastered box of all their studio records repackaged in mini vinyl sleeves. Great stuff.

I'm also a big fan also of David Gilmour's first solo album (it rules) and Nick Mason producing the great and under-rated Steve Hillage GREEN album.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:09 am 

Pink Floyd are an excellent band, though I admit, I haven't yet checked out any of their albums in between Pipers and Meddle. Animals is a personal favorite of mine.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 am 

I'm a big fan of the Floyd, although I lose to one of my best friends, who's been listening since birth!
Their best work is obviously in the 70's, but Saucerful of Secrets is also a great album (Didn't particularly care for Piper, though). I'd place their high mark at Wish You Were Here and Animals, everything is just perfect, and so moving. Dark Side is slightly overrated but still spectacular - on the other hand, The Wall is mediocre and incredibly overrated.

perennial_quest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 am 

As a prog rock fan, I'm am more than aware of Pink Floyd's career. I think both Animals and Wish You Were Here are absolute masterpieces, and I truly enjoy Meddle. DSOTM and The Wall are a bit overrated IMO but they have their moments. Sauceful of Secrets and Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother also have their good and their bad moments (The Narrow Way being my favorite song out of those 3). Not a huge fan of Syd Barrett although I like Astronomy Domine. As for the post-1983 stuff, I don't like it that much.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:02 am 

Been a huge fan ever since my childhood, my favorite would be The Final Cut (as someone said above, it's criminally underrated), followed by Wish You Were Here and The Wall. I only got into their early albums a bit later, it took some time for them to grow on me. My least favorite album would be Ummagumma, other than Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict I found hardly any memorable moments on it. What I really regret is that I'll never be able to see them live :(
Sometime, I'll have to get around to check Syd Barrett's and David Gilmour's solo albums, never heard those before.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:54 am 

I've never listened to them but I think it's time I should.

Shantideva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 pm 

They're music isn't bad by any means, but I find they're one of those bands that seemingly everyone around my age group has decided to "like"; second only to the Beatles in that respect. I've actually made a goal to, for the next two weeks, listen only to albums released after I was born (1991). After that I want to kick it up a notch and listen only to bands that are still intact. Fuck the classics, this is my world, my world; and those ancient people are dead!

(+2 if you got the Fight Club reference)

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:42 pm 

I am very fortunate to have a dad that is fascinated with Pink Floyd's music. At a very early age (around three years old), my father made me watch the wall with him, and as I watched I was extremely terrified of it. He flipped on an album of theirs later on, and I didn't think it was bad at all; in fact, I loved it. So yes, as the first band I have ever listened to, I enjoy Pink Floyd. R.I.P. Rick.

EsotericallyCynical
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm 

I enjoy Pink Floyd. I think Meddle is a criminally underappreciated album in their catalog. But, I suppose that's good in a sense -- it doesn't suffer from being over-hyped like the others.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 pm 

Currently listening to Floyd. The guitar solo in Comfortably Numb convinces me that Pink Floyd kicks ass...you could throw away everything else they've ever done...with that guitar solo they have my appreciation.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:51 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Currently listening to Floyd. The guitar solo in Comfortably Numb convinces me that Pink Floyd kicks ass...you could throw away everything else they've ever done...with that guitar solo they have my appreciation.

I always thought the solo from Time was far more badass. But yeah, Comfortably Numb rules.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:15 pm 

RageW wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

I always thought the solo from Time was far more badass. But yeah, Comfortably Numb rules.
My vote goes to Time on this one. Comfortably Numb is rather overrated in my opinion, if still a very good song.

SludgeMetalHead983
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:37 am 

i love pink floyd, great great band.

Quote:
Tin foil hats on!

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:20 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

I am sorry to have to disagree but overplaying and overhyping that and a few of their other songs has made them unlistenable for me. I don't know why people don't give Dave credit for stuff like Mother or One of my Turns or the outstanding Dogs, hell even Echoes doesn't get its due. Comfortably Numb is nice but quite frankly, after I discovered the genius of Steve Hackett, I feel Gilmour was only scratching the surface as far as minimalist guitar goes.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:35 am 

I actually prefer their early albums (well, 2) with Syd Barret. I have a thing for Psychedelic music, so that's probably why. I like their other stuff as well, Wish you were here is my fave non-Syd Pink Floyd album.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:19 am 

I love Pink Floyd. I havent ventured too far past 'The Wall' as that album walked a pretty fine line for me between like/dislike. My favorite albums would have to be either DSOTM or Atom Heart Mother.

When Roger Waters was touring DSOTM i snapped up a ticket right away. Obviously not as good as seeing the full line up, but was treated to an amazing night of music. There was about an hour of random pre-'The Wall' tracks, then DSOTM was played in its entirety then finished with roughly another hour of random pre-'The Wall' tracks. This concert would hold one of the most memorable moments i have ever had at a show. Once 'Eclipse' had come to a close, Roger and band broke into 'Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1)' which had absolutely everyone in the fully packed arena on their feet and singing and dancing along to it. I obviously have failed at capturing the moment here in this post, but i dont know how to justify it in words, i have never felt such electricity in the air at a concert, and such a sense of unity of all concert goers at the one moment.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:08 am 

Huge Floyd fan here. I like all eras, except for the later stuff without Roger. The Wall is one of my favorite movies, very trippy.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:32 am 

saintinhell wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

I am sorry to have to disagree but overplaying and overhyping that and a few of their other songs has made them unlistenable for me. I don't know why people don't give Dave credit for stuff like Mother or One of my Turns or the outstanding Dogs, hell even Echoes doesn't get its due. Comfortably Numb is nice but quite frankly, after I discovered the genius of Steve Hackett, I feel Gilmour was only scratching the surface as far as minimalist guitar goes.
Mother isn't my favourite song, but I agree completely. I find Comfortably Numb's solo to be one of Gilmours less creative ones.

There's something magical about his guitar solos - as someone once said, he makes the solos "fly" - but Comfortably Numb doesn't really have that feeling to it.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:53 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
saintinhell wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

Mother isn't my favourite song, but I agree completely. I find Comfortably Numb's solo to be one of Gilmours less creative ones.

There's something magical about his guitar solos - as someone once said, he makes the solos "fly" - but Comfortably Numb doesn't really have that feeling to it.

I think you guys are overanalyzing it too much. All I know is that I heard the solo and it sounded awesome...I didn't stop to think "is this solo as creative as other ones" or "how hard is it to play this solo"...no I just heard it and it touched my soul that's it.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:59 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
I think you guys are overanalyzing it too much. All I know is that I heard the solo and it sounded awesome...I didn't stop to think "is this solo as creative as other ones" or "how hard is it to play this solo"...no I just heard it and it touched my soul that's it.

No, I am not overanalyzing it, perhaps I have heard too much music - I don't think so myself - but is there any such thing as too much music? ;)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
You've misunderstood. I never said anything about technicality, and creativity very obviously reflects in quality - how outstanding the solo is. I do like "nice" solos like that even if they aren't exceptionally creative or impressive, but I oviously like those outstanding solos more.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next