Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:11 pm 

Epitaph, "Seeming Salvation." Konqueror Records out of Singapore is supposedly reissuing it soon (see their MySpace page). That's the good news.

The bad news is that there seems to be an attempt to squeeze some extra money out of it before they are sold at regular prices. Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

This isn't the original CD (note the bonus tracks). This has never been reissued before, either. And note the seller's name.

I was one of the bidders on this - nowhere near the top bid, but I wanted to see if I could get it for a reasonable price and find out what it was. I didn't win or even come close, but I got a second chance offer from the seller. I'm guessing that everyone that bid on this got a second chance offer. Seems like a blatant attempt to get everybody's highest price for the CD before they know that it's soon to be widely available.

If you see another auction for this item, don't bid on it. If you bid on this one and got a second chance offer, don't accept it.

Dark Descent Records

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:07 pm 

This is what defines a greedy label, selling copies of the album before its official release to try to get it for the higher price before the reissues hit the market.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:04 pm 

Not the first time i have heard about stuff like this on ebay.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:23 am 

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 am 

Shit like this aught to be illegal.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:22 am 

I just simply don't think that album is that great, and it certainly isn't worth 110 dollars. Whoever buys it for that price is foolish.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:35 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
I just simply don't think that album is that great, and it certainly isn't worth 110 dollars. Whoever buys it for that price is foolish.

Thanks for the heads up, can't say there are very many (if any) albums I'd pay that much for.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 am 

That seller has done something like that before because i was bidding on Merciless - The Awakening - (1989) and i got 2nd offer and then next week i have seen him sell 2 more copys of it.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:06 pm 

I think that can happen. Probably he bought the rights for a good amount of money, and then he pressed probably 2.000 copies for the re-release and saw that he can't re-finance it so he sells the first copies on ebay for higher prices in order to get his costs back.

Remember Magnus - Scarlet Slaughterer Re-Release CD that got sold on ebay 2-3 times for $61 until it was officially sold by Reaper Records ? I know that there was a huge amount of license fee included the by the band allowing Reaper Rec. to re-release it, so re-financing of the re-release was tough (that's why I Was Watching My Death won't be re-released by Reaper Rec.).

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 pm 

Well it says clearly "4 bonus tracks". Plus the logo looks a little darker than original. Anyone dumb enough not to notice the bonus tracks thinking its original deserves to pay 100 bucks.

Here's the same seller selling an actual original a month ago. --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0318358023

$300. Singajews.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 pm 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Well it says clearly "4 bonus tracks". Plus the logo looks a little darker than original. Anyone dumb enough not to notice the bonus tracks thinking its original deserves to pay 100 bucks.

Theoretically I agree, but this feels like a con to me. No mention is made on the auction of which label or what year this was released, and there's a link back to the Archives to view information about the release - except that the only version that appears here is the original, since this reissue isn't official yet. So you have to deduce that it's NOT original, and then wonder (or ask the seller) what it is.

Incidentally, I DID ask the seller if it was a bootleg, reissue, or what. He responded "NOT bootleg but reissue." I then asked what year and what label, twice - and he never responded. So obviously he's trying to withhold that information to get a higher price.

I don't begrudge the guy trying to make some money, but do it honestly. I'm sure plenty of people would pay extra for advance copies or a "die hard" release or whatever. There are ways other than this.

Dark Descent Records

Last edited by dalecooper on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 pm 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:

Here's the same seller selling an actual original a month ago. --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0318358023

$300. Singajews.

Please explain why the seller is a "Singajew" when he sells a CD (probably off his collection) on ebay and the starting bid is $5 ?

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:03 pm 

peterott wrote:
I think that can happen. Probably he bought the rights for a good amount of money, and then he pressed probably 2.000 copies for the re-release and saw that he can't re-finance it so he sells the first copies on ebay for higher prices in order to get his costs back.

Remember Magnus - Scarlet Slaughterer Re-Release CD that got sold on ebay 2-3 times for $61 until it was officially sold by Reaper Records ? I know that there was a huge amount of license fee included the by the band allowing Reaper Rec. to re-release it, so re-financing of the re-release was tough (that's why I Was Watching My Death won't be re-released by Reaper Rec.).

it shouldn't be hard to refinance, obviously given the prices on ebay there is a pretty good demand for this, sell the CD's at $12-15 shipping excluded and enough copies should make back the money, rights included.

We forget that to press a CD costs a record label roughly $1-2 tops..not to mention the higher the print run, the cheaper it becomes and generally pays for itself once you've gotten rid of at least a third or half the copies.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:43 pm 

peterott wrote:
CircleovZaphyan wrote:

$300. Singajews.

Please explain why the seller is a "Singajew" when he sells a CD (probably off his collection) on ebay and the starting bid is $5 ?

For what dalecooper stated about the seller... not for that link I provided. Should have paragraphed.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:42 am 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
peterott wrote:

it shouldn't be hard to refinance, obviously given the prices on ebay there is a pretty good demand for this, sell the CD's at $12-15 shipping excluded and enough copies should make back the money, rights included.

We forget that to press a CD costs a record label roughly $1-2 tops..not to mention the higher the print run, the cheaper it becomes and generally pays for itself once you've gotten rid of at least a third or half the copies.

No it isn't I'd say. On wholesale you don't earn more than $5-$7 per CD until you are called Nuclear Blast. That's why some distros (NWN!, deathgasm, and others) can sell CDs from small labels so cheaply, because they don't add much on top. Other distributions/sellers are putting their bits and pieces on top and then you end up with paying $14 for a CD. But the original record company doesn't earn much. Only in case they have their own distro-list or if they are selling their CDs on ebay, then they earn the full-price. Else, it is probably even less than $5-$7 on wholesale.

Now count a number like license fee of e.g. $5.000 with the costs of a pressing run of 2.000 CDs and do some math. 2.000 CDs is already a big run for an underground CD where 50% of the stock is sold/traded/wholesaled instantly and the remaining 50% take forever to get rid of.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.