Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:40 pm 

First off, just so it's crystal clear, if you don't like Lamb of God and just plan to be an asshole, don't bother posting. Move along. Not to say you can't critique the song, but be constructive about it.

Now, onwards...

You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZvBFI-w2Bs or snag a free download from the Roadrunner site: http://dev.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/mp3/lambofgod/ (you gotta fill out a ghey survey though, hence the YouTube link is also included)

So, I definitely don't think it's the best LoG track EVAR or anything, but I'm definitely hearing some sludge influences coming back from their NAG album, which is really awesome. They seemed to drop those in favour of a more metalcore sound in the past 3 albums, and now they are going back to it again.

I recall seeing a quote stating they were planning on going back to their earlier sound on the NAG/BTP album, and it seems as though they are living up to that, albeit with a bit of a stale first-offering. However, this has piqued my interest to hear the rest of the album, as I've been less and less interested in this band. The resurgence of those sludgy influences are definitely a part of it.

So, any thoughts on the new track/upcoming album?

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Misery Index - Traitors
via FoxyTunes

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:48 pm 

I actually liked a bit of their Burn the Priest-era material, but they've been going from bad to worse ever since they changed their name. This new song doesn't really defy the trend; the vocals are incredibly annoying, the riffs suck, and the -core is eating away at my brain cells. It's too bad that a band that started off decently has turned so mind-bogglingly bad.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:03 pm 

It doesn't sound too bad honestly! I'm real surprised.

I loved their New American Gospel album; total rawness and a monolith vibe. However, I'm not going to jump to conclusions if this new album will be great because remember the whole "11th Hour" thing? They put that first song out as a single, everyone was hyped for the album and then it was just generic overall.

Hope that won't happen with this song and the album it'll be on.

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm 

The vocals sound way too loud. Hopefully that's just YouTube's bullshit.

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 pm 

I dont know whats worse, the song or the scene kiddies calling it thrash.
:puke:

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm 

I don't think it's bad at all. I, too, wish that they would go back a NAG-type sound. That album, despite its shitty production, was pretty damn good. Also, I wish LOG would take out all of the useless swearing in their lyrics.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
I don't think it's bad at all. I, too, wish that they would go back a NAG-type sound. That album, despite its shitty production, was pretty damn good. Also, I wish LOG would take out all of the useless swearing in their lyrics.

That's always been a gripe of mine with them.

As for the song, it's pretty damn good.

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 pm 

Thanks for that! I like this song alot actually, better than most anything I heard off of Sacrament. I personally liked Ashes of the Wake the best out of their material, hopefully this is more in tune with that album.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm 

Ritual_Suicide wrote:

Ignore the youtube fools.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:50 pm 

As The Palaces Burn was their best album in my opinion. I listened to Sacrament and personally hated their attempt at pseudo technical and aboriginal song structures.

This track isn't anything special at all, really. It's just funny how some people constantly wait around before a new album, praying that they'll make something that's actually noteworthy, doubting the countless times they have been disappointed. It's just sad, really.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 pm 

The song actually really picks up. From the bass part on is fucking awesome. Overall not the greatest song by Lamb Of God. As long as this is a weaker track and the rest of the album is along the lines of this style, then Il be very satisfied. Ive always liked Lamb Of God but perfered Burn The Priest.

editted*

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 am 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Ritual_Suicide wrote:

Ignore the youtube fools.

It would be easier if the world's population wasn't so full of ignorant fools...

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:10 am 

I loved Sacrament, it was a great atmospheric melodeath album. I like every LoG album, I guess, but Sacrament was my favorite. Judging by this song, the new album should kick ass, regardless of the direction.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:38 am 

Woah, a Lamb of God song that was relatively devoid of asinine breakdowns! The first fast riff is pretty reminiscent of Throwdown's "Holy Roller" which is a wee bit sad. Drums are far too loud as per usual, and there aren't enough riffs to keep it interesting.

The middle break was interesting and a nice change but the transitions are pretty awkward.

'Wrath' will probably suck, LoG ain't shooting their cash cow when it's udders are squirting liquid fucking diamond.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:42 am 

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:46 am 

'...waaa mummy why can't I grow my hair long???'

Apologies, resistance was futile!
Metal will rule in my masterscheme."

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:10 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
I loved Sacrament, it was a great atmospheric melodeath album. I like every LoG album, I guess, but Sacrament was my favorite. Judging by this song, the new album should kick ass, regardless of the direction.

Yeah, Sacrament was my favorite Lamb of God album as well.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:34 pm 

It's alright I guess. The only LOG albums that really do it for me are As the Palaces Burn and Ashes of the Wake. This sounds better than Sacrament, but as I expected, it doesn't raise my interest in a new LOG album.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:48 pm 

I have so say that was pretty fucking boring, the riffs did nothing for me. the only LOG album I own is Sacrament, and I really quite like it, it's got some quality songs.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:54 pm 

It didn't do too much for me, and keep in mind I'm a Lamb of God fan... like from NAG and before all the way up 'til now. But then again, they put out Redneck first for Sacrament, so you never know, this could be one of the worst on the album, the single if you will. I'm still hoping for a whole album of Beating on Death's Door and Forgotten (Lost Angels). It won't happen, but a man can dream.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:48 pm 

I'm a LOG fan, but this is... eh. Not bad, but nothing special. Ashes of The Wake was their best.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:00 pm 

I really don't like this band, but they have a couple of decent songs.

But that was just awful...

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:15 pm 

It's not terrible, but it's not good either. I actually liked the last couple of Lamb of God albums, but I may be skipping this one.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:34 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It didn't do too much for me, and keep in mind I'm a Lamb of God fan... like from NAG and before all the way up 'til now. But then again, they put out Redneck first for Sacrament, so you never know, this could be one of the worst on the album, the single if you will. I'm still hoping for a whole album of Beating on Death's Door and Forgotten (Lost Angels). It won't happen, but a man can dream.

Oh good god was Beating on Death's Door an AMAZING track! That, with 'Walk With Me in Hell', 'Beating on Death's Door' and 'Blacken the Cursed Sun' were my fav tracks off Sacrament, and many had a much more death-metal vibe not seen by the band since BTP.

I dunno, they new track is alright - I'd call it filler, but it's definitely listenable filler. I just hope to hear better stuff than this on the whole album.

----------------
Now playing: Misery Index - We Never Come in Peace
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing: Misery Index - We Never Come in Peace
via FoxyTunes

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:45 pm 

It wasn't awful. Not the best song ever. I was shocked to be able to hear a bass track. I think the lyrics have always been utterly stupid, and I think the vocals were MUCH too loud, but other than that, the song wasn't all bad.

The thing I'd like to see most on this new album is them dropping their riff formula. Seriously, EVERY SINGLE riff has the exact same basic structure.

CHUGCHUGCHUGmelodymelodyCHUGCHUGCHUGmelodymelodyCHUGCHUGCHUGscalerunscalerun ad infinitum.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:05 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:

I liked Ashes Of The Wake better, but that's just me.

Listened to "Contractor" on Youtube, and it wasn't too bad. A lot of vocals in it, but besides that, it was fairly decent. I'll be looking forward to hearing the rest of Wrath.

However, it still doesn't reach the heights that fellow metalcore band Chimaira reach. They are a better band in my eyes, and I'm more anticipating their album in April or May.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 pm 

Sounds like the groovier Sacrament stuff, but heavier. Which is a good thing, as I though Sacrament as a whole was pretty puny-sounding. I thought the new track had an energy that I felt Sacrament lacked in a lot of places.

The other new song (it's called Dead Seeds) doesn't sound quite as promising, but a live clip from Youtube isn't the best way to judge a song.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
The other new song (it's called Dead Seeds) doesn't sound quite as promising, but a live clip from Youtube isn't the best way to judge a song.

Yeah, it's hard to tell. Sounds okay, but I'll wait until I hear the studio version before commenting on it further.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:15 am 

Yeah I went and sort of scanned through the song and to be honest I prefer the stuff on Sacrament to this. It sounds like that Beating on deaths door song which tried to be thrash but really just sounded like it was trying too hard. It just sounded dull, soulless, boring etc. Then again, I'm not the biggest LoG fan so I wasn't expecting genius, but there are a few good sections scattered here and there on Sacrament at least.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:19 am 

I think Contractor is decent. It's certainly better than the other first singles the band have released like Laid To Rest and Redneck. I'm sure I will like this album. I've liked everything they've released so far. Ashes Of The Wake is my favourite LOG album.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 am 

My goodness do those lyrics suck.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:34 pm 

Yes, LOG is known for their horrible lyrics.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:43 pm 

Well, they are just sort of a couple of rednecks from virginia so It shouldnt be too surprising that their lyrics might come off as abit 'simple". :lol:

None the less, I listened once and it was decent. I enjoyed Sacrament and I hope they continue along the same lines and keep that darker atmosphere about them that made Sacrament a solid album.

SwedishRawPower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:39 pm 

Well, kind of average, lots of better bands if you want that kind of "groovy" sound

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:30 pm 

I hardly consider myself a Lamb of God fan anymore. I bought NAG about a year ago, and then I quickly fell away from the band. Their music just doesn't do it for me.
That being said, I think the new song is actually pretty decent. The first 3rd of the song or so is the generic riffing you'd find in a LoG album, but after the bass break it really picks up pace nicely. I really enjoyed the fast-paced part, but I wish they wouldn't have reverted to the beginning riff afterward; they should have kept up the speed and done something different. Lamb of God is notorious for inane, unoriginal repetition though, so what can I say?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:06 am 

Without fully reading the first post, I just assumed that this was about the live thing that somebody recorded. I just listened to the Contractor song, I didn't like the middle break, but the beginning and end were pretty sweet. Earns my Lamb of God approval.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 am 

I saw a new one live, on December 2nd. It was called Dead Seeds, and is going to be on the new record entitled Wrath. It was a good track. Not great, but good. That's really all I can say to describe it. It's plain, it's pseudo-thrash, it's Lamb Of God.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 am 

Eh I gotta rep Virginia and all but this is kinda lame ;\

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 pm 

ashes of the wake is their best one. sacrament was sort of come down from the one before.

these guys do sound a bit like Byzantine or vice versa .

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:59 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Yes, LOG is known for their horrible lyrics.

That's really surprising to me. I always thought that most of LOG's lyrics were actually fairly intelligent, considering that they're only a couple of rednecks from Virginia. Randy's overuse of swearing bothers me though - it detracts from the actual content of the lyrics.

11th Hour and Descending are really well-written lyrics about alcoholism or other substance abuse, in my opinion. I consider most-other of their lyrics in the same regard, other than the vocalization on NAG (where lyrics weren't used during the recordings because Randy was too drunk) or some other songs here and there, like Redneck.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next