Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AngelofDeath777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am 

I read about Rigel Walshe being a police officer, and it got me interested if there are any other Metalheads you know of (well known or not) that are or have been in the Police force.

As of now, Rigel is the only one I know of.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 am 

Matt Barlow of Iced Earth is a reserve in the DEA and served in the regular police force for some city.

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Matt Barlow of Iced Earth is a reserve in the DEA and served in the regular police force for some city.

He was on the force in Georgetown Deleware.

Vio_Lance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 am 

I'm always hoping that if I get pulled over and the officer hears my music (which 99% of the time is heavy metal) he recognizes it and turns out to be a huge metalhead, getting me off of the ticket.

I'd do it if I were a cop =P

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:06 am 

Vio_Lance wrote:

I wouldn't. I would apologize and tell him I wish I could let him go on his merry way but, if my job is at stake, I'm going to give him the ticket.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 am 

You heartless bastard. You wouldn't even doodle a little Rob Halford with a speech bubble in the reason section? "Breaking the law, breaking the law!"
Hehe, foreskins.

Vio_Lance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:16 am 

Well of course if it were something serious like drunk driving I wouldn't. But if the dude was just going a few over the speed limit on an empty road or I suspected him to have marijuana I would. Perhaps I just say this because in the time I've gotten into metal I've only met 1 or 2 people that enjoy heavy metal.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:33 am 

Crick wrote:
You heartless bastard. You wouldn't even doodle a little Rob Halford with a speech bubble in the reason section? "Breaking the law, breaking the law!"

My band is covering that song for a bar show we are playing. I have heard that song played more in the past week than any human should hear Breaking The Law.

I hate that song....

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 am 

All the more reason for you to run around screaming the chorus and blowing off heads with a shotgun, my friend. THEY WERE BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW.
Hehe, foreskins.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:13 am 

I know a cop who's into Pantera, and another who's into Guns N Roses, Metallica, Motley Crue...mostly rock and stuff like that. I don't know any that are into metal, though.

I'm not 100%, but I heard that when you go to the Police Academy (at least in Australia), metal is banned, and then discouraged after for psychological reasons. My mate went to join the Police force, and he reckons that's what happened, or something to that effect. Don't quote me, however, because I'm not certain.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:29 am 

Senior year I did my Senior Project on law enforcement and I had to shadow a few cops.
The one I rode around with the most had a Slayer tattoo on his arm which was pretty wicked.

He also did not seem to care for the projects and black people to much but that is a different story :lol:.

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:31 am 

Morbidreich wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

He was on the force in Georgetown Deleware.

He still is active with the Georgetown Police Dept. the last time I checked, and that was prior to the current IE tour. Have not read or heard anything that states otherwise.

For those that don't know, I work for a Police Dept as an Animal Control Officer. I carry a limited commission, but I have the ability to arrest people, issue citations, and write search warrants if necessary. One of the officers for the Police Dept I contract for is a guitarist for a Death Metal band.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

ViKing503
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:59 am 

SabFan1 wrote:
For those that don't know, I work for a Police Dept as an Animal Control Officer. I carry a limited commission, but I have the ability to arrest people, issue citations, and write search warrants if necessary. One of the officers for the Police Dept I contract for is a guitarist for a Death Metal band.

You're from Portland, right? Either way, what band?

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:21 am 

ViKing503 wrote:
SabFan1 wrote:

You're from Portland, right? Either way, what band?

Close, I live across the river in Washington. The band in question is Godless.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

ViKing503
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 am 

SabFan1 wrote:
Close, I live across the river in Washington. The band in question is Godless.

Ah, I knew you were close, I think I saw you talk about the Iced Earth show or something like that. I saw them open at the Suffocation show, good set. Pretty cool that one of the guys works in law enforcement, I never would have guessed.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:49 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I know a cop who's into Pantera, and another who's into Guns N Roses, Metallica, Motley Crue...mostly rock and stuff like that. I don't know any that are into metal, though.

Metallica? Metal-lica? There's a clue in there somewhere, I'll leave it to you.

On a slightly related note I always used to think Iron Maiden's Murders in the Rue Morgue said something although the lines of 'running from the jambons' when I was 13 which I thought was amusing French slang for the police, sadly it was the Gendarmes... I think I cried that day.

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 am 

Peter Steele from Type O Negative is a former cop.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:15 am 

Von Young (Deaden, Lividity, Epitomite Productions) was rumored to be a police officer, maybe i'll just straight up ask him if he really was.

i have respect for law enforcement, but could never do it, you're not allowed to grow a beard.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:28 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Crick wrote:

My band is covering that song for a bar show we are playing. I have heard that song played more in the past week than any human should hear Breaking The Law.

I hate that song....

I'm sorry! You should cover "Tyrant" isntead!

I read that one of the guys in Destruction was an officer. I believe it's the drummer?? Can't verify this, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:46 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=47187

It saddens me that this merry bunch haven't been mentioned yet

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:56 pm 

Galaahd wrote:

Source? I've never heard this before.

vinnie_vegas87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:00 pm 

I'm a firefighter and our station is connected to the police station. I know several of the officers pretty well and one of them is a big old school metal fan. He'll talk about pretty obscure 80s thrash bands and he's way into Obituary and Death and stuff like that. It's like he was a legit metal head and then stopped listening to anything after 1990 haha...

On a similar note, when I was like 11 or 12 (when my parents made me go to church) my youth pastor saw me wearing a misfits shirt and told me about how he saw the Dead Kennedys and Black Flag and shit when he was younger.... awesome....

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:04 pm 

Vio_Lance wrote:
I'm always hoping that if I get pulled over and the officer hears my music (which 99% of the time is heavy metal) he recognizes it and turns out to be a huge metalhead, getting me off of the ticket.

Cool story about that when me and my friends traveled 2 hours to see Sauron and Wolves in the Throne Room. My friend got pulled over 3 times that night. 2 for loud mufflers because his car is a pos, and one for making a wide turn. Well anyone back to the story, when we got pulled over the second time, we were telling the cops that we got pulled over about 10 minutes prior to talking to him. He was asking were we went and all that stuff. We were saying that we went to a metal concert in Lansing.

When all else is done with questioning, the cop gave back our ID's and said "Rock On!" and gave us the metal horn. We dont really know if hes a metalhead or not, but it seems cool because he might be one of those 80s Metalhead. Oh yea no ticket for all those 3 pull-overs.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:08 pm 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Galaahd wrote:

Source? I've never heard this before.

http://www.ondarock.it/pietremiliari/ty ... e_slow.htm

It's in italian, though, but you can find something just searching "peter steele police" on google.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Metallica? Metal-lica? There's a clue in there somewhere, I'll leave it to you.

On a slightly related note I always used to think Iron Maiden's Murders in the Rue Morgue said something although the lines of 'running from the jambons' when I was 13 which I thought was amusing French slang for the police, sadly it was the Gendarmes... I think I cried that day.

People who listen to Metallica != people who are "into metal." ;)

also he could mean newer Metallica (aka Rocktallica).
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:41 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=47187
It saddens me that this merry bunch haven't been mentioned yet

Maybe because the thread is about proper cops, not stage personae. Great band though.

frigidpony
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 pm 

vinnie_vegas87 wrote:
I'm a firefighter and our station is connected to the police station. I know several of the officers pretty well and one of them is a big old school metal fan. He'll talk about pretty obscure 80s thrash bands and he's way into Obituary and Death and stuff like that. It's like he was a legit metal head and then stopped listening to anything after 1990 haha...

I laughed at that.. he didn't miss much.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:40 pm 

I've honestly never heard anything about Peter Steele being a cop. I know there's a picture on the inside of CD (the name escapes me) that has a shot of the band, and Pete is wearing his leather jacket with a "Brooklyn Police" patch on it. Obviously there's no such thing, and the only public service job I was aware of him having was working for the NYC Parks & Sanitation.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:54 pm 

my buddy got pulled over once just because his plates were IRN MADN and the cop wanted to talk about them to him

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:58 am 

einvolk wrote:
my buddy got pulled over once just because his plates were IRN MADN and the cop wanted to talk about them to him

Oh damn, that is toooooo fuckin' funny. I'll bet your buddy was scared shitless seeing a cop pulling him over... then to find out it was just for "so who is better, Di'anno or Dickenson?"

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:10 am 

The lead guy in Dawn of Azazel is a cop. It's gotten him some pretty awesome press, and he's not a character I would want to tangle with. Cool band too.
Death metal is eternal.

ciboire_de_merde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:18 am 

Vio_Lance wrote:

Back when I was 15 I was drinking with a bunch of people at my friend's apartment (we were all underage) and at some point that friend started shit with another of my friends and got totally and humorously punked by the kid. so he gets pissed off, leaves us all in his place, goes outside and starts driving wildly over lawns, making a general asshole mess.

Neighbors call the cops and they show up as we're all outside trying to stop him. One of the cops pulls me aside and questions me as to what happened and such. I'm drunk, young and looking like a total slopbag (I had on some ripped up jeans and a Napalm Death 'F.E.T.O' shirt, not to mention probably two or three baggies of weed in my pocket) so I was nervously expecting him to take me in or at least search me; finally he goes, "You know what, you're lucky you're wearing that shirt today," and goes on to tell me about how he used to be the dj of some hardcore/metal show on a local college station. Then he let all of us go back to our drinking, including my friend, because no neighbors came out to file a report. This was among the most excellent police-related experiences ever for me, thanks to that shirt.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:29 am 

ciboire_de_merde wrote:

Neighbors call the cops and they show up as we're all outside trying to stop him. One of the cops pulls me aside and questions me as to what happened and such. I'm drunk, young and looking like a total slopbag (I had on some ripped up jeans and a Napalm Death 'F.E.T.O' shirt, not to mention probably two or three baggies of weed in my pocket) so I was nervously expecting him to take me in or at least search me; finally he goes, "You know what, you're lucky you're wearing that shirt today," and goes on to tell me about how he used to be the dj of some hardcore/metal show on a local college station. Then he let all of us go back to our drinking, including my friend, because no neighbors came out to file a report. This was among the most excellent police-related experiences ever for me, thanks to that shirt.

While I understand that it's lucky and whatnot, that is pre-e-tty irresponsible for a police officer to do. Nice that he's so lenient, for you, but also kind of strange and odd.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:11 am 

A man from my area played in a death metal band and was a cop. Unfortunately, he was shot in the face four times after pulling someone over for a noise violation.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:07 am 

There are thousands and thousands of cops that probably like decent music. I know a few into indie and even punk rock, so I'm sure there are a some older cops that are into Metallica, Maiden, blah blah. They're probably cock mongrels, like most cops are. If you are a cop and reading this, fuck you.

\m/.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 am 

iiix wrote:
There are thousands and thousands of cops that probably like decent music. I know a few into indie and even punk rock, so I'm sure there are a some older cops that are into Metallica, Maiden, blah blah. They're probably cock mongrels, like most cops are. If you are a cop and reading this, fuck you.

\m/.

Don't be an idiot. Even though many cops suck and are a waste of taxes paid by us, the world would be fucked up without them.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

DerickVonDerickson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm 

iiix wrote:

\m/.

Cops are like anyone else in a profession. Alot of them are assholes, but some are decent people. By the way my friend's uncle is a bounty hunter and he is big into old metal from what my friend tells me.

~Guest 97031
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:03 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
iiix wrote:

\m/.

Don't be an idiot. Even though many cops suck and are a waste of taxes paid by us, the world would be fucked up without them.

This.

Though I'm sure some cops are cool. Most are douche bags.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:21 pm 

fuck anyone in the police, "metal" or not. thats just gay.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 pm 

What is up with all this hate? Cops get enough hatred as it is. I won't deny that there are lots of cops who clearly get a bit drunk with power but they nonetheless perform a necessary social function that even I as a staunch libertarian acknowledge. At the very least, I think many of you would do well to consider how much shit cops often have to put up with. I've never once had any trouble with cops and I appreciate what they do all the more from my experience living in a big city.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next