Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 am 

Lich_King: If you want reviews so bad, just ask me and you can send out a copy. ;)

Fallen33
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:11 am 

This band, that picture, and Black Metal Sucks' lyrics are of the EPIC WIN variety.

Lich King is my next purchase definetly!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:14 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Lich_King: If you want reviews so bad, just ask me and you can send out a copy. ;)

Hehe, send me a copy too if you want a review :D

Hippiedrow, I think the volume was set low deliberately. Most 80's stuff had a low volume.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 am 

Lich_King wrote:
Chromillusion wrote:
I had a feeling your particular brand of humor wouldn't go over too well here.

It's my poor delivery.

I like your delivery better than your music. Actually, I think you're pretty fucking funny. Thumbs up!

Dark Descent Records

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:44 am 

As I said on your thread in the promo forum; so long as you stay out of the "zombie pizza nacho thrash" realm I'll check you out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:45 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Hehe, send me a copy too if you want a review :D

Hippiedrow, I think the volume was set low deliberately. Most 80's stuff had a low volume.

Same here, I would be welcome to reviewing this one. I could give a rather unbiased opinion seeing as I've never listened to your stuff before.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:53 am 

Nor have I, I haven't even gone to check the myspace. :lol:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:55 am 

My love of amusing thrash may just overwhelm my hatred of people who do "-insert something- Sucks!" songs, so I might end up giving this a listen.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:00 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
That being said, the hippiedrow didn't even say the guitars had to be "hevy dood." You're making an assumption. He said he didn't like the production, and nothing more. He didn't state why.

It's pretty much just the low volume.
It would make it a pain in the ass to listen to on shuffle. The guitars are fine.

That's because modern albums are digitally smashed against the 0dB (maximum) level by compressors (one of the reasons many of them sound awful) and this is produced more like an '80s album. Many media players have "sound check" or a similar feature that equalizes all of your music to the same volume, so try using that.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Lich_King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
As I said on your thread in the promo forum; so long as you stay out of the "zombie pizza nacho thrash" realm I'll check you out.

We took a pretty good drubbing on UKthrash about the subject matter... radioactive zombies and silliness. This made me laugh and I had to concede defeat:
Metal Iain wrote:
Tracklisting:

Shark-Brain Pizza
Zombie Brewtality
Toxic Shark Roller Disco
Zombie and the Brain (Try To Take Over the World)
Chernobyl Sea World
Shark Island
Zombies R' Us
Never Mind the Zombies, Here Come the Radioactive Mutant Sharks
Shark-Brain Pizza (Reprise)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 am 

This is the craziest, funnest, heaviest, fastest, most over the top album I have ever heard. This is amazing. This album, everything about it, has the great B movie atmosphere, but with aesthetics of a killer, explosive, over the top A movie. I love it. This is so crazy.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm 

I still need to order a copy...
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 pm 

Lich_King wrote:
BardInTheForest wrote:

We took a pretty good drubbing on UKthrash about the subject matter... radioactive zombies and silliness. This made me laugh and I had to concede defeat:
Metal Iain wrote:
Tracklisting:

Shark-Brain Pizza
Zombie Brewtality
Toxic Shark Roller Disco
Zombie and the Brain (Try To Take Over the World)
Chernobyl Sea World
Shark Island
Zombies R' Us
Never Mind the Zombies, Here Come the Radioactive Mutant Sharks
Shark-Brain Pizza (Reprise)

Alright, only one song with Pizza. No mention of Pabst Blue Ribbon that I can tell, no nachos, and nothing about skate-boarding. Plus, it doesn't seem the zombies are combined with the pizza so that's alright, too, I guess. It passes as far as I can tell.

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 am 

Candehman wrote:
SouthofHeaven11 wrote:
Discuss how much this album rules.

Attack Of The Wrath Of The War Of The Death Of The Strike Of The Sword Of The Blood Of The Beast \m/

That's an alright name for a song but Ultra Vomit did it better "From the Dark Depths of Long Eternity I Shall Reign in Chaos on my Bloody Throne of Relegation of the Weak"

Is that a Bal Sagoth song title? It certainly looks like one.

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:11 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:

delicious

DisruptioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:11 am 

Am I the only one who thinks this is incredibly mediocre?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am 

DisruptioN wrote:

Actually, having listened to some songs on the MySpace, I sort of agree with you. While I wouldn't say it's incredibly mediocre, it's pretty generic and the style of humour wears thin rather quickly. All in all, it seems sort of like an attempt to follow Municipal Waste.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
That being said, the hippiedrow didn't even say the guitars had to be "hevy dood." You're making an assumption. He said he didn't like the production, and nothing more. He didn't state why.

It's pretty much just the low volume.
It would make it a pain in the ass to listen to on shuffle. The guitars are fine.

That's because modern albums are digitally smashed against the 0dB (maximum) level by compressors (one of the reasons many of them sound awful) and this is produced more like an '80s album. Many media players have "sound check" or a similar feature that equalizes all of your music to the same volume, so try using that.

I must say that this suggestion, while well-intentioned, is a terrible idea. It destroys cross-track dynamics. For a good example of this, try listening to the beginning of Judas Priest's Nostradamus album, and note what happens when the tracks switch from "Dawn of Creation" to "Prophecy." For those too lazy to try it, what happens is that DoC ends up sounding louder than Prophecy due to the equalization of volume and density of sound.

As for Lich King... I need to check-a these guys out, methinks. I do like the Retro-thrash Revival onslaught of bands, so we'll see how these guys turn out.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 am 

Lich_King wrote:
You are right to love me, for I am amazing.

Now you see, this is my kind of humour. The metal world needs more people to have a laugh at themselves like this.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 am 

I got my copy in the mail yesterday. It was definitely funny and the music, while being nothing unique, was pretty good. I enjoyed the album quite a bit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:48 pm 

I fucking despised the debut on the first listen, and actually turned it off about halfway through. I decided to give it another shot one day, on a much better set of speakers, and I ended up falling for the record pretty hard. I've become fed up with all this thrash resurgence fashion show garbage but Tom seems to do a great job of keeping it about the music and image of the BAND and not the band MEMBERS. I plan on waiting until I'm in the proper mood for some thrash (which hasn't been happening much lately, with the exception of Evil Invaders) and then I can properly check this out.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Quit quoting the same image, for fuck's sake.

Again, stop fucking quoting the same image. We've seen it four times in this thread.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:08 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

Actually, having listened to some songs on the MySpace, I sort of agree with you. While I wouldn't say it's incredibly mediocre, it's pretty generic and the style of humour wears thin rather quickly. All in all, it seems sort of like an attempt to follow Municipal Waste.

Except Municipal Waste actually is mediocre and Lich King isn't.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:17 pm 

SouthofHeaven11 wrote:
dalecooper wrote:
This band has talent but I wish they'd take themselves even a little bit seriously. I'm not too much into overtly comical thrash anyway, and it also seems to lead to sloppiness in their recordings - they clearly have the ability to be a lot tighter than they are. Every single time I hear a Lich King song I start off thinking, "Oh man this sounds great!" and end up thinking, "Yeah, that was very funny, Weird Al - did you crank that out in an afternoon or what?"

I'm all for comedy thrash so I guess we don't see eye-to-eye here...

I certainly wouldn't say it's comedy thrash; thrash with comedic elements sure, but I don't think they're a full-out joke band.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 pm 

If they're a joke band, this is a bloody wonderful joke. I enjoyed nearly everything off that album. Great fun, some quality thrash with a nice, crunchy guitar tone and a good knowledge of what they're doing.
Hehe, foreskins.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 am 

The_Boss wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

You're a rabid Iced Earth faboy, so I'll just ignore that.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:29 am 

The_Boss wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

Ouch.

But yeah, these guys are mediocre, and not that funny.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:58 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
But yeah, these guys are mediocre, and not that funny.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:41 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

Because you know you can always win an argument by bringing in a statement that has nothing to do with the rest of the thread. You should just be ignored all together.

The thing that holds Municipal Waste is every track is the exact same thing. 2 minutes of just feverishly fast and incoherent thrash that's not even enjoyable.

Lich King, are hilarious. The music is awesome, and I would like it without the comedic elements anyway. They add a lot to the album, so it really does make it that much sweeter.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:01 pm 

Jokes, Boss, jokes.

But seriously, I strongly disagree with you on matters of metal taste.

CanaryofDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
This band is meh.

They're ghastly. To hell with this new thrash revival comprised of bands who have Seth McFarlane as their muse. On the music end of things, these wet behind the ears world of warthrashers need to crawl back underneath the Bay Area boulder in which they reside. There's no room for their thrash in a tin can sound, nor their bastardized Vio-Lence riffage. When these ham n eggers wrote "Black Metal Sucks" they obviously had Ghaal in mind. When will this 21st century revival end?!?!? Oy Vey!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 pm 

CanaryofDeath wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:
This band is meh.

They're ghastly. To hell with this new thrash revival comprised of bands who have Seth McFarlane as their muse. On the music end of things, these wet behind the ears world of warthrashers need to crawl back underneath the Bay Area boulder in which they reside. There's no room for their thrash in a tin can sound, nor their bastardized Vio-Lence riffage. When these ham n eggers wrote "Black Metal Sucks" they obviously had Ghaal in mind. When will this 21st century revival end?!?!? Oy Vey!

I'm also getting sick of people like you.

"When did they form?"

"Post 2000s."

"Then fuck them. If it's not from 1986 then I don't care to listen."

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanaryofDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm 

Well if any of these bands played anything worthwhile, perhaps I would be singing another tune. At least this band always has the line, "hey we're doing this as a joke", as a defense for any criticism that may be flung their way.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm 

So what are some prime examples of thrash metal, that you like?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 pm 

I'll give them credit for being loyal to the production/sound of 80's thrash, but there's absolutely no originality here riff-wise.

Lich_King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am 

CanaryofDeath wrote:

Oh come on. I do wish you offended black metal fans could take out your pissiness with us in a constructive manner. You got smashed, it's okay, but let's see if you can get over it without the I'm-rubber-you're-glue sniveling.

And the jokey shit is only for the lyrics and subject matter. There is no "hey, this is a joke" defense when it comes to the music, as we put our best material into it and take it very seriously. Go ahead Canary, you've been set up really nicely to get me with that one.
HamburgerBoy wrote:
I'll give them credit for being loyal to the production/sound of 80's thrash, but there's absolutely no originality here riff-wise.

The riffs are original. It's the style that's been reheated, and that's fully intentional. We're not worried about having an original sound, we're worried about making great thrash songs.

Silly thing is, we're not trying to be loyal to the PRODUCTION of 80's thrash. Lots of people say that like they're applauding us. It's not intentional... I'd make it sound like recent Exodus if I could. I'm just ass with a mixing board.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14 am 

Lich_King wrote:
We're not worried about having an original sound, we're worried about making great thrash songs.

Thank you, I've been saying this for so long. Thrash does not need to be original to be great, in fact, its restrictive nature makes experimentation futile often times (though it can definitely work). I think if some people could get past the fact that these bands are playing something that was done in the 80s now, there would be a whole lot more respect for the newer thrash revival movement.

Last edited by ~Guest 126069 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lich_King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:25 am 

Yeah... I think we were cursed with a subgenre that, while being terribly fucking good, doesn't have a lot of breathing room. A few people got to the great riffs and structures early, then we that came later have to cobble together something from scraps. You can go out and try to find a new direction and sound in thrash, and good for you, but I think you're stepping away from what makes thrash thrash.

Me, I want to hear people trying to come up with the lost Slayer riff or what might have been if Vio-Lence hadn't faltered, y'know? Violator, Mass Extinction, Fueled By Fire. Give me more.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am 

I just laugh when people say that "newer thrash metal isn't original". You think? Lich King basically highlighted everything I've been feeling about every thrash elitist dickhead, ever.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 am 

Lich_King wrote:
Me, I want to hear people trying to come up with the lost Slayer riff or what might have been if Vio-Lence hadn't faltered, y'know? Violator, Mass Extinction, Fueled By Fire. Give me more.

Sounds good to me. I suppose the lyrics or whatever aren't terribly important so long as you don't sound like a bunch of dickheads trying to be Municipal Waste like everyone else is nowadays. That's the whole pizza-nachos-shark-skateboard-zombie-thrash I've gotten incredibly impatient with.

On another note, can I ask who did your artwork? I looked at it a few times and tt's over the top and completely ridiculous enough to work for my band. None of us are artistically gifted in that way.

Feel free to PM it to me if you don't want to mention it on the board or whatever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next