Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mentalalex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:32 pm 

I am in a washington state based death metal band called TRIOSIS. we have been playing club shows and practicing like fucking crazy for a year now. Anyway Last week an indie record label called "Hell to pay records" contacted us. They are interested in us. But they want to make sure that we can devote ourselves fully to the band. I would love this, but heres the thing thats fucked: We are all 16 and 17. I am in college studying to be a certified welder. Everyone else is in Highschool.
So now i am faced with a choice, drop my schooling and go head first into this whole new world that has presented itself to me, or continue to go to school and most likely not get signed.

This is so fucking crazy what do I do??
What do I tell my parents??

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:38 pm 

I have never heard of "hell to pay records".In my opinion it is always better to have something substantial/real to bring in some coin and welding is a noble profession. There will be other labels interested if this one is an indication, so i would say to check em out, find out about other bands on the label, ask questions.

You guys never spoke to one another about this cirsumstance arising?

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:41 pm 

Dropping education for a label would be very unwise. There is so much more you can do with education than a (rather questionable) label.

Last edited by Manic616 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mentalalex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm 

I havent been able to talk to them that much, I've been at school and what not. How ever I have checked them out, they arent a huge label, but they are legitimate. I explained my situation, and they expressed that they understood, however i know that eventually school will get in the way of the band, or Vice-Versa.
I understand about the sustainable job thing, its good to have a fallback
Thank you for your input.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 pm 

Numerous bands have day jobs along with their musical careers, it's hardly unmanageable.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

mentalalex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm 

Actually for me it is unmanagable. since I get up at 6 and get to school at 7:30 and i dont get home till 7 that night, then its homework. School for me takes up alot of time, and on the weekends I have community service hours. Time is the only real issue here, if i had more i wouldn't have posted this...

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 pm 

mentalalex wrote:
Actually for me it is unmanagable. since I get up at 6 and get to school at 7:30 and i dont get home till 7 that night, then its homework. School for me takes up alot of time, and on the weekends I have community service hours. Time is the only real issue here, if i had more i wouldn't have posted this...

1) How do you have time for a band at all if your schedule is this busy?

2) How much longer are you going to be in school?

3) Don't let your band-mates drop out of high school for the band.

Judging from what you've said so far, it seems that you really should just let this go. If you can't do it, you can't do it, and what you've said so far seems to imply that this is the case. Besides, you might not even need a label nowadays if you do a good job at promoting the band on the internet. (That is, once you have time to do anything at all.)

AthanatiEste
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:11 pm 

thomash wrote:
mentalalex wrote:

1) How do you have time for a band at all if your schedule is this busy?

2) How much longer are you going to be in school?

3) >>Don't let your band-mates drop out of high school for the band.<<

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:49 pm 

I would have to say stay in school for the future and have something to fall back on.

Last.fm

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 pm 

If we were talking about some huge label, Nuclear Blast or whatever, then I'd probably say "drop everything and go for it". However it's not a huge label and as such I'd say it's not worth it. With the right time management you should be able to play a bunch of shows and promote your band while working, studying. It'll just be a lot of hard work, but hey, that's bands for ya.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

It's a hard decision, I'm sure. You can stay in school, but will an opportunity like this come up again? You could take the deal, but will it cripple you financially?

Then again, you're only 16 or 17, so you're still quite young. If you do this for a few years, and realise it's not working out, you can continue school at age 20 or 21. It'll be harder, sure, so it's definitely a decision not to be taken lightly.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:43 pm 

Finish high school first. You'll regret it if you don't having to take courses to prep up to take the GED (high school equalavent education) later on if you do.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm 

caspian wrote:
If we were talking about some huge label, Nuclear Blast or whatever, then I'd probably say "drop everything and go for it". However it's not a huge label and as such I'd say it's not worth it. With the right time management you should be able to play a bunch of shows and promote your band while working, studying. It'll just be a lot of hard work, but hey, that's bands for ya.

This, the last part most importantly. Keep your band professional with good "time management" and still stay in school whilst practicing, promoting, playing shows, etc.

Keep playing shows, make your own small EPs and stuff, make sure you have plenty of material for when you do finally have your shot at a real label that will get you going somewhere. Until then don't drop out of school but manage it properly so you can still have the two and build up your fanbase.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:40 pm 

mentalalex wrote:
we have been playing club shows and practicing like fucking crazy for a year now.

mentalalex wrote:

I'm confused. :confused:

HateAndPlague
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:12 pm 

An education should be your top priority. You need something to fall back on in the event of something happening to the band. What if tensions increase and you break up? What if the label goes under, or you're just dropped?

I hear many people say that they regret not finishing school. I see many people struggle to go through high school and college now. I don't see very many people who are happy they dropped out. I know many musicians who did not continue their education and music hasn't been as profitable as they hoped, so they have to find odd jobs to work or try to get an education now.

If you're good enough for a label, you'll be good enough for a better known label in the future.

Even with a big label like Nuclear Blast, you may not be guaranteed a steady paycheck or a bright future. In fact, one of the musicians I know was on Nuclear Blast.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.