Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rockonronson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:00 pm 

Just wondering if there are any Pantera fans here? I'm a big fan, particularly of dimebag! I just found this video clip online and apparently there is a book out about dime, and it comes with a dvd of DimeVision. Check out the clip, its awesome! Here's the link: http://www.bttfstuff.com/rmr/RMR_NothinToLose.wmv

The book is called He Came to Rock, and Vinnie Paul wrote it, looks pretty neat with pictures and stuff, but I'm really stoked about that dvd! I got all the info off of Vinnie's site here: http://www.bigvinrecords.com

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:08 pm 

Among the members of Ye Olde Metal Archives there are some fans and many haters of Pantera.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:12 pm 

They suck.

tittythrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
They suck.

You suck.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 pm 

tittythrash wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
They suck.

You suck.

69 ?

tittythrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm 

NexusofThecrisis wrote:
tittythrash wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
They suck.

You suck.

69 ?

Kill yourself?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 pm 

tittythrash wrote:
NexusofThecrisis wrote:
tittythrash wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
They suck.

You suck.

69 ?

Kill yourself?

Grow up.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:43 pm 

On topic, I do like Pantera, especially Power Metal and Cowboys from Hell, but I don't think Dimebag was that great of a guitarist. The only reason people worship him, IMO, is because he is dead.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:53 pm 

NexusofThecrisis wrote:
The only reason people worship him, IMO, is because he is dead.

Spot on.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 pm 

Not really my type of music, bleh.

Screw the groovy junk.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 pm 

He was a great guitarist but there are a lot of guitarists that are better. He gets the same worship Randy Rhoads and Cliff Burton get. I mean sure, they're dead but it just doesn't mean they're the best, unlike what ,amy people think about say, Jimi Hendrix.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 pm 

I still think Chuck Schulinder deserves at least half the acclaim, if not more for his influence. But Pantera sold about 10 times as much as Death, though its debatable that Pantera ever had more influence on as many bands.. And most of the bands that had Pantera influence I dont like compared to Death influenced bands. But thats for another thread.

Pantera? Some good albums like Project in the Jungle, I am the Night and Vulgar Display of Power.

Two great ones though: Power Metal and Cowboys from Hell.

Dime was good but his style wasn't really that innovative, just a hodgepodge of alot of what had happened before.

Did this make him unique? Somewhat. I really liked some of his solos on those aforementioned albums and he was capable of some really great riffage when called upon.

And also, Pantera did especially well for being a one guitarist band.

Far Beyond Driven had a few ok songs but it seemed kind of forced extreme metal. Of course, it was likely Phil Anselmo pushing the direction on the band for better or worse. I never heard Trendkill and didnt really like their last one.

I won't even bring up that New Orleans band they were friends with/influenced by. Then again, I just did.. lol.

Phil Anselmo is one of the rare mainstream metal characters who actually exposes/appreciates the underground and semi-underground. Now you have Vinnie Paul playing with the likes of Nickelback...eww.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 pm 

MorbidAtheist wrote:
I mean sure, they're dead but it just doesn't mean they're the best, unlike what ,amy people think about say, Jimi Hendrix.

Hmm, I know this is off topic but I wouldn't agree with that in the case of Hendrix. From a lead/solos standpoint, yes Hendrix didn't really rip with the same intensity of say, Jeff Beck or Clapton of the same time period.

Some of his stuff sounds dated now as well.

However, and this has to be stated, some of the chordal work that Hendrix brought to the rock medium is unparalleled even to this day. He brought exotic jazz chords and progressions to what was basically bluesy rock. He also pushed compositional boundaries with some of his songs pointing towards what would come with the progressive rock genre, and also pushed what was possible with guitar distortion, fuzz and effects (certainly we have alot of the "heavinesS" of metal to thank from Hendrix, Blue Cheer and others).

He also influenced, by a huge amount, three of my favorite all time guitarists: Yngwie Malmsteen, Uli Jon Roth (well more than thes others) and Ritchie Blackmore.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 pm 

As mentioned above Chuck Schuldiner had and inmeasurable amount of influence on death metal and he had a unique style in his solos; hell, even in his riffs.Thankfully enough he had a somewhat fulfilling life but it was again cut short by cancer. He broke new ground while pantera simply cahnged a few things in thrash and made groove.

Hendrix had a great style and was very influencial but he was/is/will never be the best guitarist of all time. He also influneced Trey Azagthoth who is a master of the guitar. The are many masters of the insturment each with their own take but no "best guitarist ever."

On Topic; I like Pantera, they seem dated now but i really enjoyed Far Beyond Driven. It had a sort of bleakness to me that I enjoyed. I don't think I'd buy Dimevision products though.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:53 pm 

tittythrash wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
They suck.

You suck.

Toy Story 2 was okay.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:54 pm 

Primemattimus wrote:
Pantera? Some good albums like Project in the Jungle, I am the Night and Vulgar Display of Power.

I hope you are joking with their glam era nonsense. I didn't like it at all, had too much cock rock themed lyrics.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 pm 

I fully think the best Pantera album was Reinventing the Steel, simply because of Death Rattle. That song is pure thrash godliness.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:

I hope you are joking with their glam era nonsense. I didn't like it at all, had too much cock rock themed lyrics.

Power Metal is their best by far to me. By that time, they had gotten rid of a lot of cheesiness and had developed into a speed/thrash act. I even notice a few Destruction-style riffs in their.

Cripple_Lizard18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:01 pm 

i personally dont like pantera, but dimebag was one hell of a guitarist, he made so many catchy riffs and was a great soloist, i just think pantera is an overrated band, dont hate them, just think they get too much credit.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 pm 

I think Pantera were a great band, really fun to listen to. However, I think the best component of that band was Phil, not Dime. I love Dime, but he wasn't as great as everyone makes him out to be - as mentioned before, it's because he is dead.

"Cowboys From Hell" is probably my favourite of their albums, although I've only heard 3 or 4. The first one I heard was "Far Beyond Driven", which I felt was fairly weak, especially now that I've compared it to some of their other work. Does have some good tracks, though.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm 

I like Pantera, but I agree that they are very overrated.
I also agree that Chuck Schuldiner deserves far more recognition than he has recieved.
I cant comment on some of the others mentioned.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 pm 

Ritual_Suicide wrote:
I also agree that Chuck Schuldiner deserves far more recognition than he has recieved.

Are you people shitting me? He gets plenty of recognition.

Beehived
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:23 pm 

Theys are awesomes! Far Beyond Driven sucks but Cowboys from Hell and Great Southern Trendkill is MAD!

Spits on your bodom shit

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:46 pm 

I've mentioned this before, but I grew up with mainstream metal and hard rock, so I obviously grew up with Pantera given my age. And I thought Dime was a fantastic guitarist long before he was killed. He was one of my musical idols growing up, so believe me when I say that he had legions of fanboys drooling at his feet before his death... one of those idiots is speaking right now. It seems like the early death of an artist does generate extra attention and an inflated status, but it also makes him an easier target for those who didn't like him to begin with. But that's irrelevant, some people love and some people hate Pantera, same goes with every other band in existence.

That said, I haven't listened to Pantera in years, so I'm not sure I'm excited about the book at all yet, but it could end up being interesting (although I'm sure there'll be a huge amount of positive spin if Vinnie is writing it).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

warzarmz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:47 pm 

I like Pantera myself. In my opinion their best album is Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar was ok, but Far Beyond Driven and Reinventing the Steel were pretty boring, I lost interest after the 3rd track on each album. I haven't listened to Trendkill enough to have a proper opinion on it, but Drag the Waters, Suicide Note Pt.II and Floods are kick ass tracks.

Dimebag is a bit overrated, and Vinnie Paul is extremely overrated. I did not only like Pantera for Dime's playing, but I also loved Phil's vocal performance, and all of Rex's catchy bass lines.

Eurnonymous on Endgame Album Art: wrote:
maybe all of those inmates are going to be saved by Jesus.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am 

mrchris wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:

Power Metal is FAR, VERY FAR from glam, other than the infamous cover of course..

(its also MY favorite album from them along with Cowboys).

Ok, and the song "pst 88" which was a joke (lyrically sex themed and cheesy), but still as heavy as say, Anthrax were doing at the time.

I am the Night is more traditional metal with glam, a few songs were kinda glammy in an early Motley Crue kinda way, but otherwise the title track and songs like "Down Below" made the album pretty intense and more hardcore than say your average, Slaughter (US) album.

They kicked out Terry Lee in part because they were getting heavier each album.

Projects in the Jungle is worth it for the title track alone, which kind of foreshadowed later Pantera with its groovy riff. It has more of the Crue sound with some early Def Lep and other influences. Its not as bad as Metal Magic though, which is almost entirely worthless to these ears.

Note: I have been tooling around for awhile with the idea of a petition to get the surviving members to remaster, or remix and rerelease Power Metal.

It is far better than the reputation it deserves.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 am 

I don't know how or why that Chuck Schuldiner comparison came to be when discussing Pantera's music. This band was more than a little influenced by Exhorder.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:41 am 

Oh, I thought this was the name of the collection of work before Cowboys From Hell. That would be a cool tribute to Dimebag;they could call it "Diamond Days" or something, and just remaster/remix it so the glam vocals are gone. This is all assuming the master tapes are still intact.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 am 

Cowboys from Hell and Great Southern Trendkill are decent, if not particularly remarkable albums worth listening to once in a blue moon for pure mindless fun. Other than that, meh.

Dimebag was a good guitarist but nothing amazing. Still, it's sad that he died like he did.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 am 

Quote:
And also, Pantera did especially well for being a one guitarist band.

Sodom also did very well, considering they were a one guitarist band. That said, the number of guitarists in the band does not matter. I doubt Pantera would sound better if they had 9 guitarists instead of 1.

EDIT: typo

Pantera have some good songs, but no good albums. They have 2 or 3 decent songs in each album and the rest are just fuckin' filler. Their good songs are great... Cemetary Gates, Death Rattle etc. But their bad songs like Primal Concrete Sledge and A New Level... :puke:

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:39 am 

The Great Southern Trendkill is their best album. That album was balls-out aggression (the good kind).

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:10 am 

The Great Southern Trendkill is a phenomenal album. I also like Cowboys from Hell and some of Reinventing the Steel but that's it. I also thought Dimebag was a damn good axeman. Considering they were a one guitarist band as someone previously stated, that also says alot about the type of metal they played: Groove or "half-thrash"(a term I despise). The Sodom comparison is therefore a bad one because that band is pure thrash metal and doesn't even sound remotely like Pantera. So again, I love some of Pantera's work but their influence- to no real fault of their own - was absolutely HORRIBLE for metal. They gave rise to shit bands like Killswitch Engage, DevilDriver, Rise Against and Drowning Pool. Not to mention the probably influencing of that once terrific thrash band Sepultura going the groove route and then worse.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:04 am 

Misainzig wrote:
I fully think the best Pantera album was Reinventing the Steel, simply because of Death Rattle. That song is pure thrash godliness.

Thrash? godliness...surely you must be joking.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 am 

CFH is fun when it comes on the radio from time to time. Otherwise I could care less about them.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:12 am 

I have yet to hear any Pantera material from any era which is good.

The thrashier material has some nice moments and riffs, but then again, Exhorder is much better if you want groovy thrash. A lot more attitude in Exhorder, and much heavier riffs.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 am 

I really like the Cowboys From Hell album, but never cared as much for the rest of their later stuff. I haven't heard anything pre-CFH. Vulgar was always too boring, FBD was okay and RTS had its moments. I haven't heard Trendkill.

Dimebag was a decent guitarist, he did have some catchy riffs, but ultimately, he just wasn't that great.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
Ritual_Suicide wrote:

Are you people shitting me? He gets plenty of recognition.

Yeah, but it's still not enough! :P

Anyway, I go with the majority here - not big on Pantera, but respect Dimebag.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:04 pm 

As many have mentioned, people like Dimebag because they suffer of Cobain-itis (meaning he's dead). Pantera was a good band, they manage to kill some time. But Dimebag really was an Ok guitarist. He played catchy riffs, but most of his solos lasted 5 seconds! Besides he wasn't very fast (we have all heard shitloads of guitarist that are a lot faster than him). And please: don't even mention Chuck without bowing and yelling "We miss you Chuck!!" afterwards. We loved him before he died, because we knew he was the best before he died, so we are not carriers of Cobain-itis.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:16 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
As many have mentioned, people like Dimebag because they suffer of Cobain-itis (meaning he's dead). Pantera was a good band, they manage to kill some time. But Dimebag really was an Ok guitarist. He played catchy riffs, but most of his solos lasted 5 seconds! Besides he wasn't very fast (we have all heard shitloads of guitarist that are a lot faster than him). And please: don't even mention Chuck without bowing and yelling "We miss you Chuck!!" afterwards. We loved him before he died, because we knew he was the best before he died, so we are not carriers of Cobain-itis.

True to a degree, Cobain-itis indeed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm 

WALK ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME WHAT DID YA SAY
*boring riff a three year old can make*

YEAH PANTERA ROCKSSS!!!! \m/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next