Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 am 

I've seen some pretty horrible things in my time, but this video I recently watched has got to be the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. I'm posting it here to make people aware of history that is sometimes forgotten or overlooked, and so we can prevent these unimaginably evil atrocities from ever being comitted again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAp8bSdE5MQ

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 am 

This shit is pretty gross. So I don't recommend anyone with a weak stomach watching it...

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:37 am 

I can't get the video going. Can anyone tell me, briefly, so I can look more into it?

EDIT: And no, I'm not just being a pussy :lol:

Last edited by TheJizzHammer on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am 

look up unit 731 on wiki

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am 

Already knew about it. While they never did anything on quite as large a scale as the Holocaust, the Japanese made up for it with sickening brutality and cruelty.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:43 am 

I'd also seen a video about the frost-bite unit of 731 somewhere else. They had a woman who's arms were frozen and I forgot how but her skin ended up getting ripped off.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:49 am 

Christ, this is brutal.
And you're right, this must be overlooked to quite a desgree because I've never heard anyone talking about this.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:56 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
Christ, this is brutal.
And you're right, this must be overlooked to quite a desgree because I've never heard anyone talking about this.

I've thought about this before. Everyone is so busy banging on about the Holocaust that Japan has gotten off comparatively lightly.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:
Christ, this is brutal.

I've thought about this before. Everyone is so busy banging on about the Holocaust that Japan has gotten off comparatively lightly.

Lightly?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:10 am 

As soon as I hit Submit, I knew someone would come along and post that.

Now that it's out of the way, let me clarify that I do not mean that. I mean that since the war, Japan hasn't suffered quite as much continued stigma as the Germans have.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 am 

Yeah I knew what you meant, but I had an urge to post the Hiroshima mushroom cloud. If you think about it, the Japanese still suffered the effects of the bomb for years after the war ended, but you're right in saying that they aren't nearly as berated for their war crimes as the Nazis. Same goes for Stalin, Pol Pot, and just about everyone except Hitler.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:23 am 

Two minutes in, and I'm already bugged by the mispronunciation of "Amaterasu". Specifically, it is NOT "Ameratsu."

By three minutes, I'm sick of the repetition of the same ideas.

Thirteen minutes, and I'm bored. The guy just said the phrase "dissected alive and without anesthesia" three times in a row. I GET THE DAMN POINT.

Funny thing is, repetition of a single simple phrase is a popular and highly effective tactic of propagandists. "Four legs good, two legs bad" and all that jazz. This, coupled with the self-acknowledged "dramatization" leads me to wonder just how much of this is true.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:26 am 

I've read all about it from several sources and I have no reason to doubt it. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the Japanese would have done something like this, they were horribly brutal during the war.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:36 am 

There is alot of repitition and what not but even so, I could barely stomach to listen to it and imagine that shit. I couldnt even finish the fucking video.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 am 

It did not shock me, but is still fucking horrible. And unfortunately goes all but unmentioned when talking about war atrocities.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:15 am 

Ribos wrote:
Two minutes in, and I'm already bugged by the mispronunciation of "Amaterasu". Specifically, it is NOT "Ameratsu."

By three minutes, I'm sick of the repetition of the same ideas.

Thirteen minutes, and I'm bored. The guy just said the phrase "dissected alive and without anesthesia" three times in a row. I GET THE DAMN POINT.

Funny thing is, repetition of a single simple phrase is a popular and highly effective tactic of propagandists. "Four legs good, two legs bad" and all that jazz. This, coupled with the self-acknowledged "dramatization" leads me to wonder just how much of this is true.

Yeah, there are many documentaries concerning this unit. I remember watching one not long ago on the History Channel

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 am 

Just horrible. Why is Japan so damn sick?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:07 am 

aChapo wrote:
Just horrible. Why is Japan so damn sick?

I dunno. Japan's history comes in three eras;

1) Bloodthirsty samurai.
2) Psychotic torture-mad soldiers.
3) Pedophiles.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:37 am 

Okay, just wrong. Plain and simple.

Perhaps the most sickening and evil acts ever carried out. Nazi Germany killed in volumes, but from what I know, never so brutally. They got close but the Japanese take the crown for being the most callous nation and for showing the least empathy in regards to war crimes, of any nation.

Maybe my post can be viewed as an over statement made by someone who is too easily disgusted. I retort by saying; can you really over state those events? The fact that most people here haven't heard about them before, is an indicator that these events have been terribly understated.

- Tim Minchin

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:54 am 

it's just the human race that can create these horrible things. We are the real animals...and we cannot learn after each disgrace like this one...we are terrible...

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 am 

The Hiroshima bombings weren't done just to end the war. It was also due to the fact that, at the time, the japanese had to be dealt with in one way or another. The japanese had been taught to think of Japan as superior to every other country, and had a culture that embraced this belief and enforced it more so than most other cultures in the world.

The reason they did the stuff they did to the other asians was largely because they thought they were superior to everyobdy else in every way, and as such had the divine right to act in whatever way they pleased towards anyone who wasn't japanese.

This comes of the fact that Japan has been one of the most isolated (more advanced) societies in the world throughout the course of history. Throughout their long time of isolation, they were taught that Japan was the divine nation on Earth, and that the emperors in Japan were some sort of half-gods.

These kind of beliefs hadn't gone away by the second world war. They simply thought that, with a half-god emperor and being the chosen people and thus superior to everyone else, they had the right to do whatever they wanted and couldn't loose (since they were the chosen people).

The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings were not only used to end the war, but also to set an example proving that the japanese didn't have the right to do whatever they wanted, that the japanese weren't superior in any way, and that the japanese could (and would) loose if they didn't surrender.

After the second world war, the japanese culture started changing a lot. They are still quite xenophobic by nature, but they sterted being a lot more open to other cultures and to foreigners. In a way, they modernized their system a lot, just because they finally realized that they actually didn't stand a chance in competing against the western world any more, by the way of military might at least, and that the isolationist outlook of the past wasn't at all viable to keep alive anymore.

So in a way, the nuclear bombings were a big wake-up call, in a "Holy shit, we actually AREN'T invincible and almighty" kind of way.

This is at least the picture I can get after having a father who lived in Japan for a couple of years and knowing a couple of japanese people who've moved here to Sweden.

I believe that condemning an entire culture or people for deeds that a nation's government was responsible for is stupid though. Especially if the government has changed completely since that time. I can also promise you that no nation in the world is innocent. There are only varying degrees of guilt in this matter. I would go as far as say that every nation in the world is guilty of something that is really, really fishy and which in most people's eyes would make the government deserve proper punishment. For most countries though, this doesn't happen.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 am 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
I believe that condemning an entire culture or people for deeds that a nation's government was responsible for is stupid though. Especially if the government has changed completely since that time. I can also promise you that no nation in the world is innocent. There are only varying degrees of guilt in this matter. I would go as far as say that every nation in the world is guilty of something that is really, really fishy and which in most people's eyes would make the government deserve proper punishment. For most countries though, this doesn't happen.

Indeed, the US is no exception. Granted, it's no Unit 731, but we've got those wonderful private military prisons at Guantanomo and throughout the Middle East where we treat people like shit because they aren't officially "prisoners of war," and therefore not protected by the Geneva convention. Or what about the Japanese internment camps during WW2? Happy fun magical rainbow times, there.

Then, of course, there's the obligatory treatment of the Native American tribes. Our own dear president Andrew Jackson collected their noses during one battle so he could keep track of how many he had killed. I especially liked the touch of giving the displaced tribes blankets infected with smallpox in order to get rid of them while giving the appearance of a humanitarian gesture.

Speaking of collecting body bits, do I even need to discuss the things American troops did in Vietnam? It wasn't a war so much as it was a calculated massacre.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:18 am 

I actually stumbled upon Unit 731 when I was doing research for a project I was doing related to the Holocaust. I was looking around the Wiki and got to Unit 731 in a couple of clicks.

I guess people don't realize there was also a holocaust in Japan.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:33 pm 

Ribos wrote:

Indeed, the experiments of 731 are not at all highly documented and verified by multiple sources including those who actually performed them as well as victims, you've definitely got it figured out.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Speaking of collecting body bits, do I even need to discuss the things American troops did in Vietnam? It wasn't a war so much as it was a calculated massacre.

If you do please do not forget to go into the atrocities/torture/war crimes committed by the North Vietnamese and its Communist allies.

http://www.rjsmith.com/war_myth.html#atrocity

I honestly question how some of you would like "war" to be fought.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:31 pm 

Very brutal in terms of what was done at that horrific facility. Faved it on Youtube ;)

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:37 pm 

Quote:
Cannibalism

Many written reports and testimonies collected by the Australian War Crimes Section of the Tokyo tribunal, and investigated by prosecutor William Webb (the future Judge-in-Chief), indicate that Japanese personnel in many parts of Asia and the Pacific committed acts of cannibalism against Allied prisoners of war. In many cases this was inspired by ever-increasing Allied attacks on Japanese supply lines, and the death and illness of Japanese personnel as a result of hunger. However, according to historian Yuki Tanaka: "cannibalism was often a systematic activity conducted by whole squads and under the command of officers".[39] This frequently involved murder for the purpose of securing bodies. For example, an Indian POW, Havildar Changdi Ram, testified that: "[on November 12, 1944] the Kempeitai beheaded [an Allied] pilot. I saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it small pieces and fried it."[40]

In some cases, flesh was cut from living people: another Indian POW, Lance Naik Hatam Ali (later a citizen of Pakistan), testified that in New Guinea:

the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese. The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.[41]

Perhaps the most senior officer convicted of cannibalism was Lt Gen. Yoshio Tachibana (立花芳夫,Tachibana Yoshio), who with 11 other Japanese personnel was tried in relation to the execution of U.S. Navy airmen, and the cannibalism of at least one of them, in August 1944, on Chichi Jima, in the Bonin Islands. They were beheaded on Tachibana's orders. As military and international law did not specifically deal with cannibalism, they were tried for murder and "prevention of honorable burial". Tachibana was sentenced to death.[42]

Damn.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:42 pm 

Anyone interested in this should check out the movie Men Behind the Sun. It's suprisingly well made (in formal/structural terms) for what's essentially a piece of sickening exploitative paracinema.

cernel_joson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
Anyone interested in this should check out the movie Men Behind the Sun. It's suprisingly well made (in formal/structural terms) for what's essentially a piece of sickening exploitative paracinema.

I was hoping someone would mention this film. The atrocities displayed are horrific, but the film is beautiful in respect of conveying them.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:25 pm 

Interesting though quite disturbing so far. Video's really slow to load so have only seen half of it so far, waiting for other half to load. Can't help but wonder how this era of Japanese history is taught in Japanese schools today, if at all.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:29 pm 

The Japanese were brutal man. Psychotic. Really sad stuff.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm 

Japan and China both have their history of brutal human cruelty, the latter is definitely much worse throughout time.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
Interesting though quite disturbing so far. Video's really slow to load so have only seen half of it so far, waiting for other half to load. Can't help but wonder how this era of Japanese history is taught in Japanese schools today, if at all.

Considering they recently fired a General simply for writing and winning an essay in which he suggested "Japan should cast off the widely held views of its World War II culpability – and "regain its glorious history.""

I would say no and make a guess they are still a bit "touchy" about that time period.

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/542864

Link about the General.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:57 pm 

T51b wrote:
Norrmania wrote:

Considering they recently fired a General simply for writing and winning an essay in which he suggested "Japan should cast off the widely held views of its World War II culpability – and "regain its glorious history.""

I would say no and make a guess they are still a bit "touchy" about that time period.

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/542864

Link about the General.

Japan is actually very evasive when it comes to world war 2. They deny that camps like the one in the Bridge on the River Kwai existed (when in reality that was one of the better ones), and still refuse to acknowledge war crimes. The general in the article probably went too far in saying that, though.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:02 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Indeed, the US is no exception. Granted, it's no Unit 731

Sure, the US didn't need to set up such a unit, all they had to do was to grant immunity from prosecution to the same criminals who had tortured hundreds of Allied soldiers and get all the information they needed on chemical and biological warfare from the japanese themselves.

You guys are getting oversensitive about this subject. Japan in that period was experiencing its colonial expansion, much like many other countries like the US, England, France and Germany a few decades before. Japan was about 50 years late, and so had more powerful means of destruction, does that make the japanese more cruel/evil than other countries? Many europeans and americans committed very similar atrocities with far less advanced means of destruction. And to this guy:

Quote:
Nazi Germany killed in volumes, but from what I know, never so brutally.

Please get your facts straight, and read some books from direct witnesses of Nazi, and even russian, concentration camps, and think twice before jumping on quick conclusions, just because you saw an oh-so-shocking video on youtube.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:33 pm 

For something that should be archived in all seriousness, the sound effects and sound bytes from "Friday the 13th" are just a tad bit hokey for my taste. And if it's in fact true that the Americans gave immunity to Hirohito and the rest of his ghouls, that's just even more ridiculous, seeing as the Americans relished (and still do) in hanging every person they could who was involved in the Nazi party, no matter what position they held or what so-called "crimes" they may have committed.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:38 pm 

ChurningtheMaelstrom wrote:
For something that should be archived in all seriousness, the sound effects and sound bytes from "Friday the 13th" are just a tad bit hokey for my taste. And if it's in fact true that the Americans gave immunity to Hirohito and the rest of his ghouls, that's just even more ridiculous, seeing as the Americans relished (and still do) in hanging every person they could who was involved in the Nazi party, no matter what position they held or what so-called "crimes" they may have committed.

That depended entirely on how much rocket, nuclear, and other weapons knowladge they had.

Singularity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm 

Qwerr wrote:
Ribos wrote:
Indeed, the US is no exception. Granted, it's no Unit 731

Sure, the US didn't need to set up such a unit, all they had to do was to grant immunity from prosecution to the same criminals who had tortured hundreds of Allied soldiers and get all the information they needed on chemical and biological warfare from the japanese themselves.

Yes, that according to me , is one of the most reprehensile decisions made by US personnel (be it the CIA or the armed forces). The same thing was done to some of the Nazi doctors carrying out human experimental research in Germany. Equally atrocious is use of Nazi spy network to gather intelligence information during the initial days of the Cold War. These actions are way more shocking than any of alleged violations carried out in Guantanamo Bay or Abu Grahib.
Quote:
Quote:
Nazi Germany killed in volumes, but from what I know, never so brutally.

Please get your facts straight, and read some books from direct witnesses of Nazi, and even russian, concentration camps, and think twice before jumping on quick conclusions, just because you saw an oh-so-shocking video on youtube.

He just needs to read about Josef Mengele.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm 

Singularity wrote:
Equally atrocious is use of Nazi spy network to gather intelligence information during the initial days of the Cold War.

We were gearing up for the possibility of a war with a nation that had the potential eclipse anything we had seen before. I will not even attempt to pretend I have any idea what it was like living under the fear of a war with the Soviet Union and the nuclear Armageddon it was thought could have been brought on by it.

I see no wrong in exploiting Nazi Germany's vast knowledge on the communist super power.

Of course I also support extraordinary rendition and the torture of insurgents we capture in Iraq/Afghanistan. So to say I am biased is a grave understatement :wink:

Anyways here is an interesting article about the Nazi Spy stuff

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0508-05.htm

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm 

I seem to recall one claim of Mengele putting people in a vacuum chamber, although I am not sure if it is true.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next