Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:48 pm 

As I listen to Nahvalr's self titled album (which should be added to the archives, although it's blacklisted), I became interested about something strange that was included in the first track entitled "Chorus of Blasphemes." It starts out with a radio show host reading a letter of a solitary listener. The listener claims to have, in his possession, a tape that includes "the sounds of a million suffering souls in Hell." This tape was recorded in a hole 14.4 km under Siberia's soil, with the temperature of the hole reaching over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iPIXq_jGMQ

There is the same clip that was sampled in the song. I personally don't know what to think of the whole thing. It seems to farfetched to be made up, yet at 14.4 km below the ground, it seems too short of a distance to hear what they say is Hell.

I would enjoy hearing everyone elses thoughts and opinions on this very obscured topic, and if you want more information, here's an unbiased site with information from both ends of the pole.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/ ... lfacts.htm

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:50 pm 

Ah, I've heard of that hole before. Saw it on some History channel documentary about Satan and Hell.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:51 pm 

http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.asp

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

plhrsrcdns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:08 pm 

Hell has some some awesome reverb.

"Pray Satan, pray Satan, pray Satan..."

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:09 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.asp

I wouldn't really trust Snopes. I wouldn't say they get their information from trustful sources.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:17 pm 

Well okay, I guess I'll recommend they get more info from Christian newsletters then.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:20 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
Well okay, I guess I'll recommend they get more info from Christian newsletters then.

Hahaha. No matter where you get it, religious and rumor sites will be biased. Keep in mind, I'm not a skeptic nor a believer of this topic.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:04 pm 

The only thing I believed out of this was that the narrator is a doppelgänger of William Shatner... such awkward pauses between words.

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:07 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Ah, I've heard of that hole before. Saw it on some History channel documentary about Satan and Hell.

I believe that is where I heard of this before as well. I don't believe in Hell or any of that malarkey, but its still REALLY creepy.

Also, I have to agree with Grimmenfrost: Snopes is a decent site for some stuff but they aren't infallible.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:13 pm 

erickg13 wrote:
rexxz wrote:

I believe that is where I heard of this before as well. I don't believe in Hell or any of that malarkey, but its still REALLY creepy.

Also, I have to agree with Grimmenfrost: Snopes is a decent site for some stuff but they aren't infallible.

... nor is a history channel documentary. As much as I agree with you in that Snopes is not infallible, I respect that they attempt (in some regard, be it minimal or not) to recognize what is valid and what is not. The goal of a history channel documentary isn't to discover the validity of an event. It's to sensationalize a biased perspective of it.

Last edited by Derigin on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:13 pm 

erickg13 wrote:

I don't know, I think that it's a pretty safe bet that they're right when they say they didn't really drill a hole to hell but I could be wrong.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:17 pm 

In this case, Snopes got their facts straight. There really is a 12 km deep drill hole in the Kola Peninsula. No such holes were ever drilled in Siberia - oil and gas are much closer to the surface.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 pm 

As I recall, this is a rather old Urban Legend. I've heard of it supposedly happening in places other then Siberia. Pretty cool story, but that's all it is.

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
erickg13 wrote:

I don't know, I think that it's a pretty safe bet that they're right when they say they didn't really drill a hole to hell but I could be wrong.

:lol: I should have made it clear that I support the statement in the broad sense, not on this case.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm 

This reminds me of "The Bloop" which was brought up in the sea-creatures thread.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:31 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
This reminds me of "The Bloop" which was brought up in the sea-creatures thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cUTbB7H3nk :P

But yes in all seriousness I enjoy stuff like this. Isn't there a lake or something in Russia that a lot of animals/people have been killed in and no one has ever been able to figure out how deep it is? I cannot remember where I heard about it from but it was interesting.

edit: Found it http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php ... 0187390452

lake Sobolkho in Buryatia, Siberia.

What is up with Siberia? :lol:

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:51 pm 

So, there are chances that Putin is from hell...

edit: pretty cool sample, though.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 pm 

T51b wrote:

Can't they send a tiny submarine down that like they did to find the Titanic? Wouldn't that yield the best results? It's fucking 2008.

ebola_legion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:58 pm 

Grimmenfrost wrote:
It seems to farfetched to be made up, yet at 14.4 km below the ground, it seems too short of a distance to hear what they say is Hell.

Yeah, science has it completely wrong. At the center of the planet there is no molten core driving tectonic and volcanic activity. No, it's just Hell.
I am Kurt Cobain's reencarnation, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. The similarities between Kurt and I, are incredibly close, words can not describe my feelings for Kurt. I love him, and his music.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:00 pm 

Nobody's infallible. That said, Christians routinely ignore patterns of verifying their data if there's a chance to convert people. Furthermore, that recording really isn't very disturbing or convincing. Anybody probably could have created it with some time and effort. The simplest, most realistic explanation is that religious nuts played fast and loose with the facts to convert people and somebody decided to either support or mock their cause by creating this explanation; hence, the application of Occam's Razor tells us that we should probably not believe in any drilling into Hell or such bullshit. I'm not even going to get into the absolute absurdity of the idea that Hell exists (at all) and is underneath the Earth's crust.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:01 pm 

If supposedly only our souls descend to hell, how are people screaming without the use of vocal chords?

This is bullshit; if you even give one seconds consideration that this is true you're an idiot, and should remove yourself from the human gene pool. Thanks. :)

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:03 pm 

If hell actually did exist under the Earths crust then that would be rather bad designing, if humans are ever able to dig down there then all the souls could escape. While I don't believe it becuase its absurd, the recording is pretty cool, it makes me think of the cover to 'hell awaits' by Slayer.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:03 pm 

What a load of shit, The Well to Hell. Man the shit some people think up. Still, wait to go to the Russians for drilling a 9 mile hole, good job performing useless work. Can't believe America hasn't tried to drill a hole deeper. This is Darwinism at work here people.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:04 pm 

spaced wrote:
If supposedly only our souls descend to hell, how are people screaming without the use of vocal chords?

This is bullshit; if you even give one seconds consideration that this is true you're an idiot, and should remove yourself from the human gene pool. Thanks. :)

Souls don't have vocal chords? Interesting. I'd like to know how you figured this out...

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:05 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:

Souls don't have vocal chords? Interesting. I'd like to know how you figured this out...

Do Christians not teach the soul as being separate from the body?

Last edited by spaced on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm 

spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:

Is the soul not separate from the body?

Well if they're separate from the body, then they can pass through things as they're not solid. So why don't they just float out of hell?

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:07 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:

Well if they're separate from the body, then they can pass through things as they're not solid. So why don't they just float out of hell?

No ideas mate. Absurd isn't it? Try asking a Christian. :)

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:09 pm 

spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:

My point was that no one knows what makes up a soul. Therefore, it's dumb for you to say they don't have vocal chords since no one knows. I think soul is nothing more than a four letter word.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
spaced wrote:

My point was that no one knows what makes up a soul. Therefore, it's dumb for you to say they don't have vocal chords since no one knows. I think soul is nothing more than a four letter word.
I'm pointing out the fact that Christianity teaches that the soul is separate from the body, thus it can't have vocal chords which it would need to scream in a hell which doesn't even exist! This whole argument is ridiculous.

*edit* Obviously I can't know what constitutes a "soul", I'm just looking at it from the Christian perspective which is based on unfounded assumptions anyway.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:26 pm 

Yeah you're right. Aren't we in agreement even? :lol:

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:33 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

That's not exactly true. The word 'soul' has its roots in ancient Greek and Platonic philosophy. The way the term is used there, it generally seems to be synonymous with 'mind' or 'essence,' but it never refers to anything corporeal. In fact, Platonic philosophy explicitly distinguished between the 'nous' (soul) of a thing and its physical being, although the two were believed to be necessarily related.

Christianity adopted the terminology of Greek philosophy (beginning with Paul the evangelist) and made the sole revision that the soul was separable from the body. However, the term has always referred to a non-corporeal object. In the Christian account, a soul in the real world would be a ghost; an entity that, while it might be able to affect physical objects, would not have a physical form.

I think you're getting confused because the set of attributes that a 'soul' has seem absurd and self-contradictory. This is just to say that there can be no such thing as a 'soul' in the Christian sense of the word. However, that doesn't mean that the term is as poorly defined as you seem to believe, only that we can't wrap our heads around the definition because it makes no sense.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:48 pm 

That's not what I meant. I meant it's simply a four letter word, and that it exists in no other format besides writing.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:12 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
That's not what I meant. I meant it's simply a four letter word, and that it exists in no other format besides writing.

Well, I agree with that. I was just pointing out that there is a reasonably distinct concept that it denotes and that some people believe in.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:26 pm 

T51b wrote:

I was trying to remember what lake that was awhile ago, thanks for bringing it up.

With the hell thing, that reminds me that in the 1800s or sometime someone found footprints and thought it was Satan's, or so says some book I have.

Edit: Found it;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Footprints

Last edited by hey on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:30 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
T51b wrote:

Can't they send a tiny submarine down that like they did to find the Titanic? Wouldn't that yield the best results? It's fucking 2008.

I wish they would, I am very interested to see what is at the bottom of the lake that has been the bane of 300 horses and 500 cows :lol:

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:32 pm 

spaced wrote:

I hate how most atheists think that they have proved the non-existance of something by an extremely fallible statement.

If God exists, don't you think he could design souls to make vocal noises?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:46 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
spaced wrote:

I hate how most atheists think that they have proved the non-existance of something by an extremely fallible statement.

Don't most Christians believe in you as being in a reincarnated body in either heaven or hell anyways? I think most religious people believe that you leave your old decaying body and occupy a new one or something of that sort.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
spaced wrote:

Do you honestly believe this? Take a second to realise how ridiculous this premise is.

Also, I probably came off as a bit of a dick there, and I'm not really a die-hard, dogmatic atheist; in fact those types of people annoy me. But some beliefs are just so backward/ nonsensical (if we're bad in life our "soul" goes to the centre of earth after death to burn in suffering for all eternity) that they just makes me angry. Angry to the core.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 pm 

spaced wrote:
Do you honestly believe this? Take a second to realise how ridiculous this premise is.

As ridiculous as arguing that a "soul" (a fairly vague concept) can't make sounds?

Quote:
Angry to the core.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

Scipio333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:24 pm 

spaced wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Also, I probably came off as a bit of a dick there, and I'm not really a die-hard, dogmatic atheist; in fact those types of people annoy me. But some beliefs are just so backward/ nonsensical (if we're bad in life our "soul" goes to the centre of earth after death to burn in suffering for all eternity) that they just makes me angry. Angry to the core.

Well, I could see Nolan_B's point. A soul (which is a very abstract concept to begin with) designed to came sounds might be a ridiculous logically, but if an all-powerful God exists, logic isn't an issue now, is it. He could perform feats beyond the boundaries of logic, you know, because of the all powerful thing.

Regarding hell, does it say anywhere in the bible that Hell is under or at the core of the earth or anything to that effect? I always thought that the the idea of Hell being underground is borrowed from other pagan religions (Greek, Scandinavian...etc), than anything explicitly Christian. Isn't the word for Hell borrowed from Scandinavian Mythology anyway?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next