Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:35 am 

I was thinking of starting a collection of old cassetes. So far I only have 30++. Among them are Atomizer,Impiety,Destruction,Mantak, Kataklysm, Napalm Death. Most of my stuff are in CDs and Mp3s.

My Dad has huge collection of hard rock cassetes but most of the stuff he buys from stores nowadays are country. His collection consist of bands like ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and many more. A lot dubbed tapes to from what I see. My Dad recently brought back 2 plastics of his cassetes consisting of disco music and 70s-80s pop from my uncle's place. It's quite annoying he plays those music contantly these past few days but it's cool looking through those cassetes.

So, how many of you people still collect cassetes. No need to stay metal for this. Any genre shall do! It's about the nostalgic feel of cassetes.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:36 am 

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. It might still be unlocked.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 am 

Oh sorry. I wasn't really active in this forum but I would still like to see people's replies.

If a mod feels this thread is inappropriate, please lock it.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:46 am 

On second thought, I couldn't find it anywhere. Disregard what I said.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:05 am 

Well, I'm still interested in collecting tapes, but right now my collection consists of exactly one: "Creeping Death," the EP/single from way back in the day. I haven't really run into any others that I thought were worth the investment.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:09 am 

Just received one five minutes ago! Nekros Manteia's Disiectic Membra Poetae. :)

Other than that, I only have two tapes (Sadistik Exekution's Suspiral and Jarnvid's Signs of Hell) and a couple of dubbed ones.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 am 

thomash wrote:
Well, I'm still interested in collecting tapes, but right now my collection consists of exactly one: "Creeping Death," the EP/single from way back in the day. I haven't really run into any others that I thought were worth the investment.

Yeah. Many shops don't even sale cassetes anymore. I have to go to vintage stores or car boot sales. Well, that's where my Dad normally gets his cassetes. However I normally end up finding bootlegs of live recordings or compilations. There are some bootlegs worth buying though but most of the time I find them in CD format.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:21 am 

I got some rare tapes:

Necrodeath-Into The Macabre
Steve Sylvester-Free Man
Horrid-Eternal Suffering & You Are Mine(demos)
Avulsed-Eminence in Putrescence
Faust-Faust (1993 demo)
Moonspell-Anno Satanae (Lion Records)
Judas Iscariot-Of Great Eternity
Assassin-Upcoming Terror

and many others from the Italian underground scene...

I love tapes and I buy them only if they are rare..

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 am 

Of course. tapes are the backbone of any metal collection.

FuneralFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:45 am 

I don't collect anymore tapes since my player died a few years ago, so I only have about 10 in my collection. But still if I find something interesting and cheap on tape I'll probably but it just for the nostalgia.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:56 am 

Once I started to make the transition to cd I never looked back. Dropouts, fuzzy sound, warbley treble, and just generally wearing out. I don't miss tapes at all. I still have some in a milk crate somewhere that I virtually never listen to. The only tapes that I still occasionally listen to are things I don't have on cd and couldn't download.

I say goodbye and good riddance to cassettes.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Just received one five minutes ago! Nekros Manteia's Disiectic Membra Poetae. :)

What'd you think of that one? I thought it was really unique and filthy, totally loved it.

I collect tapes on a small scale, I think I have about 20 something in my collection at the moment. Granted, most of them are the one band but I still buy them in batches of two or three from time to time to experience new things cheaply.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:27 am 

Foxx wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

What'd you think of that one? I thought it was really unique and filthy, totally loved it.

I was reading a zine while I was listening to it so I wasn't really paying all that much attention. When I did pay attention it sounded very good, so I'll give it another listen! :)

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:50 pm 

I always buy tapes (except if an album I want isen't available on tape), I love the sound and it's also nice to collect.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:19 pm 

The only tape I have is Stained Class.

Der_Geist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:47 pm 

No way. They're too fragile. I'll take my MP3s.

p41nk1ll3r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:11 pm 

I've started collecting them, tapes are :panda:
so far I've:

Celtic Dance - 1488 Blood & Triumph
Crystalline Darkness - Melancólica Nostalgia
Sarcueil - Funeral PAth
Solefald - The Linear Scaffold
Theriomorphic - We are the Beast Brigade
Tumulum - Descanso Eterno
V-Kaos - Demo II

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 pm 

I recently got into tape collecting a few weeks ago. So far i've got Anal Cunt's 40 More Reasons To Hate Us & Nine Inch Nail's The Downward Spiral. I've Got Two Carcass Tapes, A Misfits One, A Prodigy One & One By The Cure on the way in the mail though...

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 pm 

Yeah I still buy tapes. I have maybe 200 tapes or so. Mostly obscure black metal, but I have some other stuff as well.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 pm 

I'm considering buying tapes, but I'm not sure theres any good places for me to buy them at here. Ya, garage sales but it'd be awfully hard to find anything I like though.

weezalwarrior
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 am 

all i have is American Beauty by the Grateful Dead and Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 am 

I have accumulated a few tapes. It's my greatest interest. My record player shit the bed and i've had little success resurrecting it, the new record player i got from a friend, the rubber band is inconsistent so the belt drive speeds up and slows down and doesn't keep a constant rotation speed longer than 2 seconds, i need to get around to getting something new for the belt drive.

Most of my buddies have tape decks only in their car, and the car I end up driving is the same way, so they come at much greater conveniance. I have some decent ones such as a couple cannibal corpse albums, the early suffocation albums, bolt thrower, and death's leprosy without a case. I've got a few classics kicking around from megadeth, metallica, iron maiden, queensryche, helloween, etc. Though I also have some rarities including.

Satan's Sign of War / Last rites Split 2003 (Lim 100)
Ravenclaw's First demo (moonblood side project) from '96
Cabaret For Bereaved demo from '95
and various obscure german band demos from the late 90's and early 00's that I managed to pick up from a few distros years back.

I have a few tapes from local bands, or bands I'm in contact with as well, but nothing particularly noteworthy.

I'm looking to build on it though. CD's have advantages, but aren't useful unless I'm home, so tapes would make more sense, given i have about 5 different tape decks, two in my room alone, one in my basement jam space, a couple portable boomboxes, and one on an 80's stereo console my parents own.

Tapes are great.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:48 am 

I have to admit I still like cassettes, but I mainly collect cd's now, I still have a couple of hundred cassettes in my collection that I collected from before cd's became th IN thing,I recently ordered the new Nyktalgia release on MC, which is prob my first in years! These cassettes are still in my parents house from when I was a kid, not listened to in years due to the format change. Would early cassettes be as rare and collectable as many of the cd releases you see going on ebay etc for crazy money?
Too many to name, all thrash,power,black and death.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:01 am 

RegularK wrote:
I'm considering buying tapes, but I'm not sure theres any good places for me to buy them at here. Ya, garage sales but it'd be awfully hard to find anything I like though.

You could probably buy them online. A lot of the time if you use distros they're like $5 including p+h.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 am 

Northing goes over a big bunch of demo tapes:

The fascination is always there.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 pm 

Holy shit. :drool:

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:03 pm 

^Wow.

I wouldn't say I collect tapes, but I definitely don't have anything against them. I still have a bunch of tapes from before I started buying CDs and I do still listen to them quite a bit. I have bought a few demo tapes in the last year.

traveler_in_stygian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:21 pm 

I have a few hundred tapes
nothing like the stuff the guy up there does

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm 

Shit, Peterott, that's as impressive as the guy that had 10,000 CDs or so. I would gladly murder my own cat for those Hellhammer tapes.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:17 pm 

There is just this feeling of authenticity about a tape that CDs will never possess. Sadly I only have a handful of (excellent) tapes, all from local bands.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 pm 

Basically, tapes can be found easily in Greece (at least in Athens). So, as they're cheaper than Cds I usually prefer them over Cds.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:06 am 

Tapes are only a small fraction of my collection (I have 4 tapes). I have Astrofaes' two first demos on tape, Temnozor's first album as well as an Arkona(NSBM, not the folk band)/Wewelsburg Split.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 am 

I just got 40 or so of my dads old tapes, mostly hard rock stuff. Probably the heaviest would be Testaments - Practice What You Preach and a few Metallica. Plus I ordered a few black metal demo tapes earlier today.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:32 pm 

Tapes are a tough one for me. Usually the local metal store "Earwax" is known to have some cool obscure tapes once in awhile. Alot of out of print stuff. But alot of people post mp3s of the same said out of print stuff, which they sometimes remaster themselves. I'd say in this case most of the time I'd rather have the out of print tape. I can usually find an album somehow though, but its always cool. I'd rather have the vinyl though, but there have been lean times where the "each tape 2 bucks even some out of print ones" has helped me get into shit from back in the day that I missed.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 am 

Hircine wrote:
Shit, Peterott, that's as impressive as the guy that had 10,000 CDs or so. I would gladly murder my own cat for those Hellhammer tapes.

Peterott is one of the more avid collectors around here. I'm not surprised to see him with such rarities.

I have tapes, still buy still trade em, they are as important as Cd's and Vinyl and play an important role in the metal underground. Many bands wouldn't be around or have anything released if it weren't for their humble format.

I like the idea of not being able to skip songs and just, having to be forced to endure the cassette no matter how good or bad it is. Only a really amazing album can become a classic on a cassette.

TheBlackMages
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:32 pm 

I just discovered the old types of music formats. There's this shop in my city that has all of these LPs, EPs, Cassettes, and CDs. I never went into that store until two days ago. I now own on cassette:

Led Zeppelin- In Through The Out Door
Metropolitan Opera Guild- Great Operas At The Met
Metallica- Kill 'Em All
Neil Young- Lucky Thirteen
Neil Young- Harvest Moon
Blue Oyster Cult- Cultosaurus Erectus
The Cure- Wish

Now all I need is a converter for LPs and Cassettes so I can put this music onto my iPod...

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:55 pm 

You can get what seems a good USB cassette player from firebox
http://www.firebox.com/product/1849/USB-Cassette-Deck

Last edited by STORMM on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm 

I've got a decent collection of thrash and old school death metal on cassette, though I've also gotten the CD's for most of them.

Quite a few are a bit worn out, but that's the way tapes are. My car has a cassette deck, which about the only place they get get played.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.