Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:27 pm 

due to the "big crash" the original was lost. you know the drill...

i believe the last request was groovy DeathMetal in the vein of Obituary...

maybe if you want DeathMetal with a morbid groove try Baphomet (NY), Cardiac Arrest or Torture Killer. maybe even Napalm Death-Harmony Corruption or Dead Infection-Surgical Disembowelment would suit your needs. you could also go back to the beginnings and get yourself into HellHammer/Celtic Frost if you haven't already.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:45 pm 

As a sidenote - to all lovers of technical and slightly melodic and thrash influenced death metal - you might want to check out Esqarial latest offering "Burned Ground Strategy". Some really awesome death metal to be found there - melodic, biting, thrashy and aggressive enough at the same time.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

I'll once again re-add my requests.

I'm seeking late 80's - mid 90's death metal on cassette. I'm wondering if there's anywhere in particular where I can still find these old tapes (new, used, whatever) for sale online, even better if I can get them in a lot together or something because shipping kills in the long run if i buy one tape here, one tape there.

john888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:49 pm 

Any pepole who are into Mortem from Peru? I only got Demon Tales which is quite good. Which is the next one to get?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:52 pm 

The Chasm's Deathcult for Eternity is really fucking crazy. Nice stuff, but I like Procession better. This one could grow on me though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:59 pm 

john888 wrote:
Any pepole who are into Mortem from Peru? I only got Demon Tales which is quite good. Which is the next one to get?

They're one of the more consistent death metal bands. You'll be happy in any direction you choose to go from Demon Tales. You should also look into Masacre(Col) and Hadez(Per) if you dig Mortem.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:11 pm 

john888 wrote:
Any people who are into Mortem from Peru? I only got Demon Tales which is quite good. Which is the next one to get?

wonderful band and wonderful people they LIVE for it.

since you got Demon Tales, it's very simple-get the next full length The Devil Speaks in Tongues, and then the next one... and next one etc

Soup
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 pm 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:

I'm seeking late 80's - mid 90's death metal on cassette. I'm wondering if there's anywhere in particular where I can still find these old tapes (new, used, whatever) for sale online, even better if I can get them in a lot together or something because shipping kills in the long run if i buy one tape here, one tape there.
As far as looking around (not online), you could always try pawn shops or if there's a Flea Market, there's usually at least one credible metal store.

Sometimes you might come away with a gem, other times you'll end up with nothing. But hey, it all matters on how much it's worth it to you to go.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:00 pm 

Soup wrote:

As far as looking around (not online), you could always try pawn shops or if there's a Flea Market, there's usually at least one credible metal store.

Sometimes you might come away with a gem, other times you'll end up with nothing. But hey, it all matters on how much it's worth it to you to go.

Oh no, I've had some success with local obscure record stores as far as thrash and early death metal goes. I managed to pick up some suffocation, bolt thrower, cannibal corpse tapes among a few more obscure death metal bands, and i've seen some tapes from benediction, gorefest, etc. However, the selections are limited, and the nearby stores I frequent I've bought out most of the tapes I can as far as death metal goes, hence why i'm preferring to find stuff online, since i know there's tons more out there, and I've had trouble finding stuff like Possessed, Death, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower (aside from IVth Crusade and the fifth album), Pestilence, Asphyx, Unleashed, etc with the exception of ebay. However, Ebay isn't preferred because it can be harder to combine shipping with all of the different sellers, so i'm perhaps looking for labels/distros who might have them, or an online store that sells used tapes and such (seeing as most of these albums re-releases aren't on tape anymore).

I will look into local flea markets if i can though.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:06 pm 

I also think this thread should added back to the sticky that links to all the help threads since it would be linking to the one that is gone.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:11 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:

I didn't read the last thread, but Massacre (US) are definitely needed here.

My request: More stuff like Soulside Journey. Melodic, dark, doomy, symphonic, whatever. Basically atmospheric death metal. The closest I've heard so far is the first albums from Absu and Dark Millennium, and possibly Ceremonium's No Longer Silent.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 pm 

I'm in the mood for some awkward, jarring, SOMETIMES catchy riffs. I've been filling the gap with Demilich, Timeghoul, and Voivod so far today. I need more. I'm indifferent as to the vocal style, and I would prefer if the drums aren't tickticktick style but I can deal with it if the riffs are amazing. Not looking for super tech'd out shit.

edit: Yes I'm aware of Obscura.

Last edited by Jonpo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:17 pm 

I'm seeking late 80's - mid 90's death metal on cassette.

you can find something in this tradeboard thread

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm in the mood for some awkward, jarring, SOMETIMES catchy riffs. I've been filling the gap with Demilich, Timeghoul, and Voivod so far today. I need more. I'm indifferent as to the vocal style, and I would prefer if the drums aren't tickticktick style but I can deal with it if the riffs are amazing. Not looking for super tech'd out shit.

edit: Yes I'm aware of Obscura.
Atrocity's Longing For Death ("Tod..." in German) and the Cosmic Atrophy album come to mind.

invoked wrote:
My request: More stuff like Soulside Journey. Melodic, dark, doomy, symphonic, whatever. Basically atmospheric death metal. The closest I've heard so far is the first albums from Absu and Dark Millennium, and possibly Ceremonium's No Longer Silent.

Not really a rec per se, but I think Necrophobic's debut is very similar to Soulside Journey.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm 

Are there any death metal bands that has an vocalist who sounds similar to Chuck Schuldiner? (Human/Individual Through Patterns era) I really liked his vocals on those records; they sounded harsh but they didn't sound too harsh, forced or weak.

ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:38 pm 

invoked wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

I didn't read the last thread, but Massacre (US) are definitely needed here.

Septic Flesh are the kings of atmospheric death metal, but you probably already know of them.

What about Phlebotomized? They're quite symphonic.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:25 pm 

invoked wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

Treblinka/early Tiamat?
the first two from Therion?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:29 pm 

Does anyone remember an old death metal band that was reccomended in the other version of this thread like countless times as off-the-wall death metal. They had one album and this was supposed to be re-released (or was already) this year. I think the name starts with an M.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:45 pm 

Sounds like Gorguts, they were mentioned a lot, though they don't begin with an "M".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:49 pm 

The old help thread has been restored from a backup.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=38278

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.