Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:50 am 

Because of the whole site crashing thing the previous incarnation of this thread has passed on. This newer, (hopefully) improved version shall take it's place. Now for the first request.

I've got a rather simple request: I'm looking for (good) traditional/NWOBHM inspired Black Metal. I'm already aware of (and enjoy) Front Beast, the whole of the Barbarian Wrath/N.E.P. lineup (except for that one Czek band, fuck those guys), Mortuary Drape, Early 90's Greek black metal (Necromantia, Varathron, Agatus, Zemial, Nergal, etc.), and Sabbat (and I'm certain that there are others I'm forgetting). I would love it if you could throw some reccomendations my way. i would just like to add that I would prefer more mid paced stuff. Please only reccomend bands that you have actually heard.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:01 am 

I assume you already know the first two Samael albums.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:15 am 

EntilZha wrote:
I assume you already know the first two Samael albums.

My second favorite bm album of all time is one of those two albums.

Say, did the heavy/speed/power help thread get lost as well? I can't find it.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:18 am 

Yes, and the death metal help thread disappeared, too.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:27 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Because of the whole site crashing thing the previous incarnation of this thread has passed on. This newer, (hopefully) improved version shall take it's place. Now for the first request.

I've got a rather simple request: I'm looking for (good) traditional/NWOBHM inspired Black Metal. I'm already aware of (and enjoy) Front Beast, the whole of the Barbarian Wrath/N.E.P. lineup (except for that one Czek band, fuck those guys), Mortuary Drape, Early 90's Greek black metal (Necromantia, Varathron, Agatus, Zemial, Nergal, etc.), and Sabbat (and I'm certain that there are others I'm forgetting). I would love it if you could throw some reccomendations my way. i would just like to add that I would prefer more mid paced stuff. Please only reccomend bands that you have actually heard.

Of course of you want to go NWOBHM route sound in bm, you can't go wrong with 1979-1984 Venom. Not black metal but Show No Mercy is Slayer's Priest type sounding thrash and Hell Awaits is more on the Venom sound of inspiration.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am 

Hi there, I saw the thread made by the 12 yr old kid requesting in a childish manner some "grown up" themed BM, not the satanic standard stuff. Well, my request is quite similar (not in manner but in spirit of course), not just refering to the lyrics, but to the music. The things I consider "intelligent" are the 2 later full lenghts and the Kenose ep by Deathspell Omega, and the Odinist album by Blut Aus Nord. I find them dark, evil, powerfull and suprisingly original when it comes to production values and songwriting. Also I have a question, I read somewhere that Si Monumentum... and Fas.. are part of a trilogy, is the Kenose ep the third part (not cronologically speaking of course)? or we have to expect another weird Black Metal masterpiece by these french dudes?
Thanx in advance
Not hearsay but the will of man

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Hi there, I saw the thread made by the 12 yr old kid requesting in a childish manner some "grown up" themed BM, not the satanic standard stuff. Well, my request is quite similar (not in manner but in spirit of course), not just refering to the lyrics, but to the music. The things I consider "intelligent" are the 2 later full lenghts and the Kenose ep by Deathspell Omega, and the Odinist album by Blut Aus Nord. I find them dark, evil, powerfull and suprisingly original when it comes to production values and songwriting. Also I have a question, I read somewhere that Si Monumentum... and Fas.. are part of a trilogy, is the Kenose ep the third part (not cronologically speaking of course)? or we have to expect another weird Black Metal masterpiece by these french dudes?
Thanx in advance

As far as I know, Kenose is the 2nd part.
As for recommendation, I think you should check out Subvertio Deus - Psalms of Perdition. I was really surprised with that one, and is a must if you like DSO's "trilogy".

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 am 

matras wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:
Thanx in advance

As far as I know, Kenose is the 2nd part.
As for recommendation, I think you should check out Subvertio Deus - Psalms of Perdition. I was really surprised with that one, and is a must if you like DSO's "trilogy".

Kenose is an appendix of sorts, the third part of the trilogy will be a forthcoming full length.

red_blood_inside," you may also want to look into Kriegsmachine and Ofermod.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:42 pm 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Early 90's Greek black metal (Necromantia, Varathron, Agatus, Zemial, Nergal, etc.). I would love it if you could throw some reccomendations my way. i would just like to add that I would prefer more mid paced stuff. Please only reccomend bands that you have actually heard.

Rotting Christ of course. They started same period with Necromantia on late '80ies. One of the great founders of hellenic bm sound. I strongly recommend them.
Also, Order of the Ebon Hand and Kawir. Bands with great riffs and melody.
If you have the ability check Gospel of Grief. WHAT A BAND for god's shake? They have already launched a demo, but their first full length is about to be OUT, so keep an eye. I can assure you that it kicks ass soooo heavily. One of the strongest surprises of the last years on bm sound.
If you are not yet satisfied, the solution is Dodsferd. Awesome raw greek bm. "Desecrating the spirit of life" is the way my friend.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:13 pm 

DenialFiend wrote:
LokiGoddess wrote:
Early 90's Greek black metal (Necromantia, Varathron, Agatus, Zemial, Nergal, etc.). I would love it if you could throw some reccomendations my way. i would just like to add that I would prefer more mid paced stuff. Please only reccomend bands that you have actually heard.

Rotting Christ of course. They started same period with Necromantia on late '80ies. One of the great founders of hellenic bm sound. I strongly recommend them.
If you have the ability check Gospel of Grief. WHAT A BAND for god's shake? They have already launched a demo, but their first full length is about to be OUT, so keep an eye. I can assure you that it kicks ass soooo heavily. One of the strongest surprises of the last years on bm sound.
If you are not yet satisfied, the solution is Dodsferd. Awesome raw greek bm. "Desecrating the spirit of life" is the way my friend.

Dodsfred is awesome. I have fucking your creation and it is great Darkthrone-esque BM. Nocternity is good medieval themed/symphonic black metal that isn't gay. Give it a try. Bohemian Grove is pretty good too. Similar vocal style to DsO and melodic/catchy guitars, good production. Very good stuff. Macabre Omen is okay, can't really vouch for them that much though.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:17 pm 

I didn't get to see what happened with my last request due to the site's demise, but i'm looking for an even blacker version of Fleshpress. Idealy i want Eyehategod playing black metal. Similar to some of Furze's stuff, and Fleshpress as i mentioned earlier. I tried out Kludde and wasn't my cup of tea, too clean of a production. I want guitars drenched in feedback and distortion, tortured screams, all at a sludgy pace. Someone also suggested Lugubum or whatever, i don't think that's what i was looking for.

Eyehategod+black metal=what i want.

Thanks!!!!!!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:17 pm 

For some awesome Celtic Frost doomy and very old school black metal check out the newest offering of Christ Agony. Really amazing - clear but powerful vocals, evil melodies, lots of mid-tempo passage, double-bass galore and overall evil atmosphere is there - and woe! - there is acutal riffage behind all of this!

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:00 pm 

Okay, I posted this in the other thread but it was never responded to. I suppose I'll give it another go:

I've been into Destroyer 666 for a few months now, and one of the standout tracks to me is "Tyranny of the Inevitable". Such a great song. I love the pace, the vocal style, and REALLY love that guitar bit that comes in at 1:40, sounds like it's being played out of a dark cave.

I was wondering if there were other artists who do a lot of work that is similar to this. The pace, the production values, that vocal style, etc....

Altisir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
Okay, I posted this in the other thread but it was never responded to. I suppose I'll give it another go:

I've been into Destroyer 666 for a few months now, and one of the standout tracks to me is "Tyranny of the Inevitable". Such a great song. I love the pace, the vocal style, and REALLY love that guitar bit that comes in at 1:40, sounds like it's being played out of a dark cave.

I was wondering if there were other artists who do a lot of work that is similar to this. The pace, the production values, that vocal style, etc....

You may know them already, but check out Gospel of the Horns and Bestial Warlust.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:51 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Of course of you want to go NWOBHM route sound in bm, you can't go wrong with 1979-1984 Venom. Not black metal but Show No Mercy is Slayer's Priest type sounding thrash and Hell Awaits is more on the Venom sound of inspiration.

Already know about them. Enjoyed them quite a bit up through Possessed, everything turns to moldy shit afterward (though Calm before The Storm is awesomely funny).

DenialFiend wrote:

I know and love Rotting Christ (even the grindy stuff). I have just recently got ahold of some kawir stuff, so I'm not sure about them yet. never heard of Order Of the Ebon Hand, will check them out (what an awesome and over-the-top name!).

Checked out Gospel of grief on myspace. What a band indeed. I can't believe that I'd never heard of them earlier.

Zdan wrote:
For some awesome Celtic Frost doomy and very old school black metal check out the newest offering of Christ Agony. Really amazing - clear but powerful vocals, evil melodies, lots of mid-tempo passage, double-bass galore and overall evil atmosphere is there - and woe! - there is acutal riffage behind all of this!

Wow... Christ Agony actually made something good? I should chek it out then.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:34 pm 

LokiGoddess wrote:
never heard of Order Of the Ebon Hand, will check them out (what an awesome and over-the-top name!).

It's somewhat less awesome when you know they took it from a Magic: The Gathering card...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:51 pm 

The old help thread has been restored:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=36166

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.