Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:33 am 

Anthrax are in the studio recording their new album at the minute, it would be nice to hear another "Among The Living" (thrash classic!!), but that would be wishful thinking. Taken form the website -

Metal Metal Everywhere!
I am here for an Update
here is what I know-

We have 13 Brand new Anthrax Songs, We have 4 (maybe 5) B-Sides. The B Sides will Be-
Brain of J- PJ
Big Eyes- Cheap Trick
New Noise- Refused
Running down a Dream- Petty
maybe an Anvil Cover- jackhammer??maybe an Alice cover- we Die Young?

The new Tunes are Very Strong. We have some Old School thrash and Some stuff that is like W.C.F.Y.A. meets S.O.W.N.
This record is Not Forced, it is a Very organic and Honest representation of Where we are as a Band and as Writers.
I hear many things nowadays that Sound forced, I ain't digging that
There is a 6 minute tune Called "Down goes the Sun" , I believe it is one of my Favorite songs. The Music itself is Epic, it sends Chills up my Spine.
"Face with No Name", "the Devil You Know", "Earth On Hell" , All Killer. Worship Music should be out in May

We enter the Studio On Nov 4th, the Day that Change Comes, hahahahahahahahaha

GO VOTE!!
take this Country back from these thieves That put us in this Situation
Anyone Selling a Black Hybrid Escalade? I want one!

Love to All
Charlie

10.14.08 | Scott & Best Damn Sports Show

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 am 

Hoping that this is gonna be any good at all is probably only wishful thinking given Anthrax's recent history...

"We've come for you all"? More like "We've come to rape our own lecacy and to inspire a bunch of faggy groove metal fans to do the same". It would be a more fitting title.

IMO the reason "We've Come For You All" isn't as hated as it deserves to be is the fact that it's release was overshadowed by the even viler St. Anger by Metallica.

But then again, one can always hope this isn't another one like that... Hope....
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 am 

Unless Anthrax brings back Belladonna and starts playing fun thrash/speed metal like their first 2 albums, then I'm not even going to bother.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:05 am 

Have to agree, the fun thrash albums are long gone, used to be a big fan of the band right up to P.O.T but lost interest from there on when Joey left, anyone herd the new guy on vox yet? I do not have high hopes for the album either to be honest, once a great band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:13 pm 

Anthrax hasn't made anything that interested me since their 1990 album ''Persistence of Time''. In my opinion they've sucked since Joey left.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 pm 

After reading several interviews/pieces about the new singer and his inspirations being Phil Anselmo and Randy Blythe... I don't think this will end up going so well.

But hey, maybe they'll pull one outta their ass and make a better album that say Overkill and Exodus at least. Who knows...

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:54 pm 

I've really stopped caring about the big four, but for a while I was really into all of them except for Anthrax. I didn't like Among the Living, and I doubt that I'll ever listen to another of their albums.
I will say that their name is very good though.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 pm 

sure... don't have any high hopes. Even if Belladona is not in the band anymore, I just hope they'll play a couple of old songs live. So a new album isn't a good news for that.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:12 pm 

double post, sorry.

Last edited by Evil_Johnny_666 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:21 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Anthrax hasn't made anything that interested me since their 1990 album ''Persistence of Time''. In my opinion they've sucked since Joey left.

I liked Sound of White Noise a little bit, but nowehere near as much as their earlier stuff. However, I don't think they've done anything worthwhile since then. Stomp 442 had its moments, but ultimately was forgettable. I haven't really bothered with them since. I might give this a listen, but I don't have any high hopes for it.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:47 pm 

Who is this new vocalist and what bands has he been in before?
Has he been in any metal bands at all........?
I am curious about what he will sound like but that's about all......Scott Ian was always influenced by Metallica so hopefully their "great comeback" might have inspired some great riff ideas.......not so hopeful though!

hmtlchriscon88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:59 pm 

i thought the old singer came back. i remember a couple of years ago the band reunited with the singer and that one guitarist dan spitz. i think that newer singer john bush isn't in the band anymore.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:14 pm 

I have a feeling this new album is not going to be good at all, given their history and all that stuff.

hmtlchriscon88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:27 pm 

they have a couple of goods songs in all their albums. but the majority of the songs arent that good i just cant get into those songs. Especially with that singer john bush i just didn't even bother buying any albums with him in it

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm 

I'm probably the only person to think that "Sound of White Noise" was their best album. I never thought highly of Anthrax. They always struck me as the first "groove metal" band. Simplistic, boring, and accessible riffs with a typical singer. Nothing that stands out at all. I feel the new album will be like all the other old thrash groups new albums. At best their might be a couple of good songs but the rest of the album will not be a good as their old material and seeing as how their old material imo wasn't very good it doesn't look good for this album.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:29 pm 

I'm not even going to listen to this. Anthrax hasn't been even a little good in a looonnng time.

Dark Descent Records

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:21 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
Who is this new vocalist and what bands has he been in before?
Has he been in any metal bands at all........?
I am curious about what he will sound like but that's about all......Scott Ian was always influenced by Metallica so hopefully their "great comeback" might have inspired some great riff ideas.......not so hopeful though!

The new singer is someone named Dan Nelson and I am not familiar with either of his prior bands, so I don't know what to say he will sound like. Neither band is on this site, if that helps a little.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:09 pm 

It's going to suck, simple as...

But I'm sick of all this focus on Anthrax singers, they should really invest in a permanent, decent lead guitarist. Dan Spitz varies between passable and sucking and the other guys who weren't Dimebag were faceless. People always single out Metallica as having a bad lead guitarist, but for me Anthrax have usually been worse. They should be hammering at Bobby Gustafson's door and begging him to come out and play... not that he is really lame enough to be in Anthrax.

In New York metal you always got the feeling that while Overkill were getting drunk and Peter Steele was guzzling buds and pulling some broad, Charlie and Scott were in their room playing with action figures and reading comics.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:45 pm 

I used to be a big fan back in the day, but I don't even hold out hope anymore. It's been a while since I have given a new Anthrax release a shot. I think Stomp 442 was the last one I heard when it was released. After that, I gave up.

1. Spreading the Disease
2. Persistence of Time
3. Among the Living
4. Fistful of Metal
5. State of Euphoria

6. Who Gives a Crap

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 pm 

Found a link of Anthrax performance ''Madhouse'' with the new singer!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5rs3WokII

The vocalist reminds me of both John Bush and Joey Belladonna at times. Why he's growling is beyond me, though.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 pm 

He sounds like a Mallcore poser who emulates Phil Anselmo.

I saw Anthrax during the "reunion" shows, I had seen them 3 times before (all with John)- it was magnificent and I am pissed that they are back to that mid nineties style garbage again.

Metallica on Clip Magnetic at least tuned standard most of the album. The "groove" parts people complain (on the new Metallica) about remind me more of early nineties Danzig than Pantera.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:15 pm 

I feel really reminded of Belladonna in the verse part of that Madhouse video. I actually don't mind it. The shouting sucks though. I dont mind the grittiness in his voice. I hope he never Anselmo shout/growls again. Fucking terrible. Not bad replacement, but the moment Belladonna left Anthrax died in my opinion.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:12 pm 

Give me Fistful Of Metal, Part II, or you can fuck off.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 pm 

Some new Anthrax songs being performed live with the new singer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BfWSrOSG4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS7No6ZFnOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiP1uPph90

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:51 pm 

Joey Belladona needs to come back in order for Anthrax to be good again.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:03 am 

hmtlchriscon88 wrote:
i thought the old singer came back. i remember a couple of years ago the band reunited with the singer and that one guitarist dan spitz. i think that newer singer john bush isn't in the band anymore.

Belladonna and Spitz both ended up leaving because Scott "The Almighty Pharaoh" Ian wanted to tour for another year like he was Lars Urlich back in 1992 rather than record a new album. Belladonna's solo stuff has consistently kicked the shit out of everything that Anthrax has done since he left, and frankly I don't think that Belladonna's solo stuff is really amazing, it's more just good.

John Bush went back to Armored Saint, where he belongs, and Ian successfully burned all bridges he had with both Bush and Belladonna. This new guy looks like a hack so I'm not getting my hopes up. The only way that Anthrax is likely ever going to be good again is if Ian and the others go over and kiss Neil Turbin's ass like crazy, which will likely never happen.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:24 am 

What is Neil doing these days anyway? Is he even involved with music anymore?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:09 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
What is Neil doing these days anyway? Is he even involved with music anymore?

He joined my Myspace buddylist about a year ago, or at least whoever runs the Death Riders myspace page contacted me. According to that page, he's playing a show in California on December 6th, and then doing something in Germany about 6 months later. I don't think he's a full time musician, but I still think he's active.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 am 

MegaHassan wrote:

Kinda dissapointed, the third song ''Fight em till you can't'' had some catchy moments I guess, but the screams/growls suck, obviously. Everyone knows that growling DOES NOT fit Anthrax. The solo in that song is nice though.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:46 pm 

Sounds like shit, this band is never gonna be good again.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:15 am 

My question is who will guest on the album this time? That's the only somewhat interesting part; to just look up the listings and play spot the cameo on an Anthrax album. I guess one their previous albums had Dimebag Darrell and Roger Daltrey appear.

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Dan Spitz varies between passable and sucking and the other guys who weren't Dimebag were faceless. People always single out Metallica as having a bad lead guitarist, but for me Anthrax have usually been worse.

What? I'm confused.

Dimebag wasn't in Anthrax, he may have been a guest on a couple of songs. Do you mean Scott?

I haven't really seen people say Metallica has a bad lead guitarist when it refers to older Metallica, only newer stuff when Kirk was in a rut and played the same ol' wah drenched wank or just never played solos.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:52 pm 

I don't recall ever listening to anything that Anthrax released after Persistence of Time, reading about their material after that doesn't really awake my interest, so I'll ignore this one unless somebody gives me a valid reason to care.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.