Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:33 pm 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
caspian wrote:
Everyone who thinks Yndi Halda is a good band is completely wrong, and in fact likes getting teabagged by horses.

Ok, I guess I'll just stop liking them right now because you said that. Thanks.

Glad I could help, just doing my duty.

GYBE are pretty horrible too, I just feel people should know that. I mean come on:

Quote:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor all the way, one of my favourite bands of all time, listen to 'F# A# ∞' it's truly spectacular, even more apocalyptic and draconian than the darkest metal

:lol: :lol:

Who would've thought xylophones and long, pointless samples coulod be so draconian? Stuff like this cracks me up.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:37 pm 

Alright, Yndi Halda is good, but GY!BE has a tendency to bore the shit out of me. F#A#infuckthesesymbols has potential to be a fantastically depressing record, but it plays into it's own pretentious bullshit so far I can hardly make it past the first ten minutes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 pm 

I always wanted to get into GYBE but never could. I ended up deleting them to make more space on my computer.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Alright, Yndi Halda is good, but GY!BE has a tendency to bore the shit out of me. F#A#infuckthesesymbols has potential to be a fantastically depressing record, but it plays into it's own pretentious bullshit so far I can hardly make it past the first ten minutes.

Yeah, that's what I've found as well. If GYBE weren't too busy making crappy little vignettes and spoofing over spoken word bits, i.e if they actually wrote a SONG then they could've been quite good. Also, the lead GYBE dude is a first class douche.

And ASMZ fucking suck!!! [/rant]

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 pm 

caspian wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Yeah, that's what I've found as well. If GYBE weren't too busy making crappy little vignettes and spoofing over spoken word bits, i.e if they actually wrote a SONG then they could've been quite good. Also, the lead GYBE dude is a first class douche.

And ASMZ fucking suck!!! [/rant]

I had their first album for a while and just found it to be a compressed version of GYBE. Seriously, that one song with a ridiculously long name but is only six seconds of silence.... if that's not one of the most pretentious indie snob things I've ever seen then I'm a mutant walrus.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm 

Yea thats totally true, ASMZ does kinda suck. They have their moments, but very rarely.

I do understand when people say they hate Godspeed because of their overusuage of samples and making long songs that go on and on. I don't have this problem because I edited their music so that it starts where it should start and ends where it should end. You know, when there's actual music playing. So 15 minute songs end up becoming only 5 minutes. It sucks and I hate to admit that I do that, but when I only hear the good parts then I think their amazing. If I had to listen to all the other bullshit sound effects and pointless passages, then yea I would hate them too. Eh, whatever.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:58 pm 

Haha, that actually sounds like a good idea. I really the midpart of Storm, but I can't stand listening to the first 5-10 minutes of nothing.

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 pm 

This Will Destroy You and The Samuel Jackson Five are probably my favorites out of the ones I've heard that have been mentioned already. I was surprised to see that Do Make Say Think only received one mention thus far. Pelican is one of my favorite bands of all time, but as many have mentioned, they don't quite fall into the pure "post-rock" category as the majority of the other bands that have been mentioned. (Nevertheless, I recommend them highly.) God is an Astronaut is also fantastic.

For some reason, Gifts from Enola and Caspian just never seemed to do it for me. GfE in particular seems totally uninspired, basing a lot of their song structures on the fact that using a vi chord makes them sound "emotional." It's a nice tool when it's used to the proper effect, but once they hammer the same progressions into your head on almost every track on the album (Loyal Eyes Betrayed the Mind), it seems to lose its initial power.

I keep hearing about Mono, but I've never taken the time to actually check them out. I should probably do that.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:53 am 

You mean chord progressions like D F#m G A? I can't get enough of them. :D

Satanic_Shoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:05 pm 

Explosions In the Sky
Mono
Paik
Daturah
Shadowcast Sun
Across Tundras

'Nuff said.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 pm 

Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, Zombi, Maserati, Psychic Pramount,-
if you like post-rock.

stay away from Trans Am. i reckon it's terrible.

i got the maserati one earlier this year, and its pretty enjoyable.

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 am 

Irepress, If These Trees can Talk and Maserati

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 am 

Wanna know what was awesome?

This thread. This thread was all kinds of awesome before all you turds thought it would be hilarious to just list names and carry on your merry way. I remember a time when discussion was encouraged! I remember a time when a dissent was met with an engaging counterargument, thus spawning even MORE recommendations through other namedropped bands during the exchange. But now we've descended back into the whole "bands A, B, C, and F are good". Thanks.

paganinio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:52 am 

BastardHead wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Yndi Halda... This Will Destroy You.

GAH! I can't believe I forgot these two. Yes, Yndi Halda's Enjoy Eternal Bliss is like a positive alternative to GY!BE.

I own all these records (Enjoy Eternal Bliss, Slow Kanada, Antenna 2 Heaven) and I really didn't realize that. Thanks.

paganinio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am 

uh, did someone mention Talk Talk?
(Basically,) Laughing Stock is to post-rock what Paranoid is to metal.
Spirit of Eden is to post-rock what Black Sabbath is to metal.
Talk Talk is to post-rock what Black Sabbath (band) is to metal.

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:59 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
You mean chord progressions like D F#m G A? I can't get enough of them. :D

I was referring to the more climactic parts of their songs when they just go back and forth between flat vi and i (Dm - Bb - Dm - Bb - Dm, etc.) in an effort to make their songs sound "powerful." It's not that the use of any vi chord bothers me, it's just the fact that Gifts from Enola in particular has a tendency to oversaturate their music with them.

Does anyone have a suggestion as far as which Mono album to start with? I've heard great things about them, but don't have any of their albums.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:24 pm 

To start with Mono I would say "You Are There" because it has the two greatest post rock songs ever written (yearning, and moonlight.) In fact moonlight is actually my favorite piece of music period but that's just me.

cernel_joson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:31 am 

I'm a huge fan of post-rock -- seeing a thread about it always makes me smile. Excellent suggestions so far, but there are two bands I've only seen mentioned once that I feel deserve more recognition: 65daysofstatic and Saxon Shore. "One Time For All Time" is certainly my favorite work by 65dos; I only have one Saxon Shore album (The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore), but I'm sure their other works are just as nice.

Also, GY!BE and Sigur Ros annoy me. That is all.

Last edited by cernel_joson on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:35 am 

Belial_ wrote:
The Pirate Ship Quintet, they use a trombone, making the music epic sounding with a 'nostalgic' feel.

I second this rec, enjoy this band more than any other post-rock band I've heard.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Hordeofmordor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 am 

VeiledWhite wrote:
i recommend beirut to anyone that hasnt heard of them.

it kinda reminds me of sigur ros

I like Beirut, but I wouldn't call them post rock. more like world/folk music with an indie rock edge. Especially the new album, which for all intents and purposes is a french pop record.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 pm 

Hordeofmordor wrote:
VeiledWhite wrote:

I like Beirut, but I wouldn't call them post rock. more like world/folk music with an indie rock edge. Especially the new album, which for all intents and purposes is a french pop record.

Yeah, Beirut is one of the only indie bands I can stand. Elf Power is another.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:21 pm 

The only indie band I could ever stand was American Football, especially the overly emotional 'I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional'. Reminds me of a specific time in my life ... The post-rock band ...Of Sinking Ships remind me of them, on occasions.

Hordeofmordor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Hordeofmordor wrote:
VeiledWhite wrote:

Yeah, Beirut is one of the only indie bands I can stand. Elf Power is another.

yeah, Elf Power are pretty good. I listen to a lot of music that would have me burned at the stake by any self respecting metalhead, but at the same time, I can't limit myself to one genre. I like music. I like metal more than anything, but it's not the only part of my musical diet I can live on.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 pm 

Hordeofmordor wrote:
I listen to a lot of music that would have me burned at the stake by any self respecting metalhead,

Any self respecting metalhead wouldn't give a shit.

Sexy_undertaker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm 

I'm surprised Bark Psychosis hasn't been mentioned. Their first full length was the first album to be given the term 'Post-Rock' in the context it's used in today.

Anyway, check out 'Hex' and 'Codename: Dustsucker' by them.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
The only indie band I could ever stand was American Football, especially the overly emotional 'I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional'. Reminds me of a specific time in my life ... The post-rock band ...Of Sinking Ships remind me of them, on occasions.

American Football are fucking brilliant - check out the related band Owls too.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 am 

I didn't realise you were a fan. :) I will check out Owls, thank you for the recommendation. I've been inspired to listen to American Football now. Love their bassist.

As far as post-rock goes, I've been slightly addicted to Everything Is Made In China.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:03 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I didn't realise you were a fan. :) I will check out Owls, thank you for the recommendation. I've been inspired to listen to American Football now. Love their bassist.

As far as post-rock goes, I've been slightly addicted to Everything Is Made In China.

I take it if you like American Football (Never Meant is one of my fave songs ever), you're aware of Cap'n'Jazz, Joan of Arc and Owen? The last one's a tad emo-y, but is Mike Kinsella (mainmain in most of these bands) solo project. All very good stuff if you're into that slightly jazzy, slightly spazzy post-whatever stuff.

I actually call this stuff post-rock, because generically post-rock shouldn't just sound like GY!BE and Mono (i.e. long arrangements and strings etc), it's really about using rock instrumentation in a non-rock orientated manner.

Speaking of Mono, anyone else really disappointed with their stuff post Red Flag... ? They've turned into such a predictable outfit.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:36 am 

Tantalus wrote:
I take it if you like American Football (Never Meant is one of my fave songs ever), you're aware of Cap'n'Jazz, Joan of Arc and Owen? The last one's a tad emo-y, but is Mike Kinsella (mainmain in most of these bands) solo project. All very good stuff if you're into that slightly jazzy, slightly spazzy post-whatever stuff.

Actually, no. I checked American Football's Last Fm page and saw Owen, but I've never actually heard them. Nor have I heard the others. American Football are seriously the only indie band I know/have heard. I'm very ignorant of other genres besides metal and some variations of rock.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2