Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 pm 

What bands do you like to listen to while driving and why? For me it depends. The CD that is normaly in my player is the re recording of Stormblast by Dimmu Borgir. I like to listen to it when I going through the woods. Sons of Northern Darkness by Immortal gets played alot as well. The album that's in my truck right now is With Oden On Our Side by Amon Amarth. We got snow dumped on us on Monday and to me, that album fits the winter landscape where I live. Plus it's fun to crank it up to max and see everyone look at me strangely. :D

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 pm 

Already been done before but right now I have Morbid Angel's Covenant in my CD deck in my truck if I go driving. I have to watch my speeding.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:55 pm 

I find any Iron Maiden to be the best driving music, but I usually don't listen to them. I like to listen to mixes while I drive.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
I find any Iron Maiden to be the best driving music, but I usually don't listen to them. I like to listen to mixes while I drive.

Same hear for me but I still love Maiden overall. Somewhere In Time is great power metal to cruise the highway with. I don't know why.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:57 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

Same hear for me but I still love Maiden overall. Somewhere In Time is great power metal to cruise the highway with. I don't know why.

I love them too. I meant to say I don't usually listen to them while driving. :P

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 pm 

Sea of Madness always puts adrenaline in me when the there is much highway down. Stranger In a Strange Land also.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 pm 

cruise control is mandatory
especially when listening to Repulsion or Slayer...

usually if i am driving i am on my way to work, so really the only criteria is it will be something between 13 and 36 minutes long
13-20 if i am running late
anything up to 36 or so if i have time to drive slow and/or hang in the parking lot before i clock in HAHA!

tomorrow, being "classic friday" it's time to blast my way there to some REPULSION!!!!!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
cruise control is mandatory
especially when listening to Repulsion or Slayer...

usually if i am driving i am on my way to work, so really the only criteria is it will be something between 13 and 36 minutes long
13-20 if i am running late
anything up to 36 or so if i have time to drive slow and/or hang in the parking lot before i clock in HAHA!

tomorrow, being "classic friday" it's time to blast my way there to some REPULSION!!!!!

I got slapped with a huge fine doing 50 in a school zone going to work while playing Maiden's Killers. Unless I am on a desert highway, I ain't playin' Slayer. As much as I'd like to.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 pm 

Yeah Slayer makes me want to go fast as well. If I'm a little late for school, I'll pop Show No Mercy in and I'll make it there before first period is over :P.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 pm 

I listen to every new CD I buy at least once in the car. Right now I'm listening to Vio-Lence Eternal Nightmare. Yesterday it was Sickening Gore.

pseudodraconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 pm 

The stuff in my car right now belongs to Summoning, Iron Maiden, Mirrorthrone, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the Doors, Vintersorg, and Dub Buk. Vehemence is being played, and has been for nearly a whole month I think. But I haven't listened to it in over a year, so I guess it's like catching up with an old friend or something.

Radio stations go on when someone else is in the car. Usually the classic rock station, or Jones College Radio...which is like elevator music. Why, I don't know.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:12 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
Yeah Slayer makes me want to go fast as well. If I'm a little late for school, I'll pop Show No Mercy in and I'll make it there before first period is over :P.

That's the best album to be playing on your deck when you feel the heat on your tail. The offical record for getaway drivers.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm 

hahaha well it's good that everyone here knows

Slayer = speeding ticket

WATCH YOURSELVES OUT THERE!!!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:

Slayer = speeding ticket

Also can lead to road rage. Or may not. I've never had a real case of that. Some say Hammer Smashed Face is a road rage song but I don't like CC.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:23 pm 

Ha, I've been guilty of playing Stormblast as well during the Winter, just seems to fit.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm 

The only 2 metal CD's I currently own are Bonded by Blood and Spreading the Disease, and as much as I like StD, BbB is 10x better for driving music, and I listen to it absolutely every time I drive. No Love, And Then There Were None, and A Lesson in Violence are probably the top songs that get me pumped up to 60 in 35 zones and running stop signs. I also know the lyrics, riffs, and solos to every song by heart because I've listened to them all 5000 times. (I have even started to hum or sing them at less than appropriate times) Luckily, though, I've never gotten a ticket (good thing too, because at my age it would cause my insurance to skyrocket).

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:27 pm 

You only own 2 metal cds?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 pm 

He probably goes the downloaded route mostly.

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:31 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

With plans to buy everything I download, uh, sometime... in the future....:oh shit:

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

Slayer = speeding ticket

Also can lead to road rage. Or may not. I've never had a real case of that.

I was listening to them like 5 minutes before I knocked some kids teeth out in a fight a year back if that counts. But the kid was a dick and talked alot of shit about me.

Back to the topic, I don't know about you guys, but my music is normaly cranked up to near max. Anyone else? I porbaly would have it up to max, but it sounds really fuzy and it would be WAY too loud in my truck (standard cab).

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:33 pm 

Slats wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

With plans to buy everything I download, uh, sometime... in the future....:oh shit:

Make your first hard copy either with early Venom or early Slayer. Inside tip.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 pm 

My favourite to drive to is Amon Amarth's Fate of Norns, it's just all round great driving music. Any energetic Death Metal works for short drives to school. At night though, Black Metal just creates the most epic atmosphere(that or the jazz station which only plays at night); sometimes I go out of my way to be able to take the car out at night just to drive and listen to music.

Somewhat unrelated but I was in an accident this summer and Operation Ivy's "Take Warning" was playing :lol:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 pm 

iAm wrote:
My favourite to drive to is Amon Amarth's Fate of Norns, it's just all round great driving music. Any energetic Death Metal works for short drives to school. At night though, Black Metal just creates the most epic atmosphere(that or the jazz station which only plays at night); sometimes I go out of my way to be able to take the car out at night just to drive and listen to music.

Somewhat unrelated but I was in an accident this summer and Operation Ivy's "Take Warning" was playing :lol:

Black metal is my favorite genre by far but it is definitly not driving music for me. I have to be alone in a room sitting in the dark or something to take it in.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:37 pm 

I think Blind Guardian's first 2 albums are fun to drive to. Just plugging along at light speed!

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:37 pm 

iAm wrote:

I drive around on back roads at night while listening to Black Metal. Burzum, Mayhem, Xasthur, Dimmu Borgir ect. all great music to drive to at night.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Black metal is my favorite genre by far but it is definitly not driving music for me. I have to be alone in a room sitting in the dark or something to take it in.

Same here, driving at night on an empty road though... It just engulfs you. Try something like Burzum's ambient stuff or Zuriaake and give it another shot.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:41 pm 

iAm wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Same here, driving at night on an empty road though... It just engulfs you. Try something like Burzum's ambient stuff or Zuriaake and give it another shot.

Oh hell no. Burzum is one of my favorites so that would be the last band I would want to have in the car. That type of black metal is just too organic to be playing in a vehicle. I save that stuff for walking in the woods taking a nature walk or encountering a bear.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 pm 

Deep Purple's Machine Head of course!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Deep Purple's Machine Head of course!

Damn, I should have thought of that one. That would be awesome to play driving pure American muscle. A black '69 Camaro perhaps. Or maybe whatever that car Peter Steele drives. But I wouldn't play his cover though.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

The only time I listen to music is while I'm driving.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

marktheviktor wrote:
iAm wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Oh hell no. Burzum is one of my favorites so that would be the last band I would want to have in the car. That type of black metal is just too organic to be playing in a vehicle. I save that stuff for walking in the woods taking a nature walk or encountering a bear.

Trust me on this one. Listen to his last two black metal albums while driving at night in the middle on nowhere. It's an experence that you have to have.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

NOBODY'S GUNNA TAKE MY CAR!
I'M GUNNA BREAK THE SPEED OF SOUND!
:np:

AlastairN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 pm 

In the car I often have the classic rock station going if I'm in the city. I like putting on Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and other classic rock on CD. Metal-wise, Maiden, Sabbath, etc all go really well.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:46 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
NOBODY'S GUNNA TAKE MY CAR!
I'M GUNNA BREAK THE SPEED OF SOUND!
:np:

Preferably the version from Made in Japan,yep. Nice and long and goes straight into Child In Time or Smoke on the Water. I forgot which. Fluid.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:46 pm 

Space Truckin' is absolutely fucking awesome to listen to while driving at night. It just makes a ton of sense.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:47 pm 

Priest's Heading Out to the Highway is kind of like a mellower version of Highway Star.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 pm 

AlastairN wrote:
In the car I often have the classic rock station going if I'm in the city. I like putting on Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and other classic rock on CD. Metal-wise, Maiden, Sabbath, etc all go really well.

Seeing Sabbath just reminded me of this. The other day my Auto Body Tech. teacher got into trouble for cranking War Pigs a out of his car while leaving school. Ahh... he's a awesome teacher.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 pm 

I'd also like to add Saxon to this thread. Denim and Leather, Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, and any of their The Eagle Has Landed albums especially.

On an unrelated note, Carnivore is great for speeding.

bucfan5252
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:52 pm 

Usualy something like Maiden or Blind Guardian, nothing to extreme as I only have a permit and have to make sure not to annoy my parents to badly with my music so that they continue to go with me when I drive.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

Good topic regardless if it has been done before, but this is a hard one for me since I listen to music constantly in my car. I prefer something fast most of the time, thrash or death metal usually but it all depends on my mood and time of day. Last week it was Misery Index "Discordia" all week and this week it has been Dissection "The Somberlain" and Suffocation "Effigy of the Forgotten". Black metal is best at night especially while driving in the woods or country. Oh and one more thing, you can never go wrong blasting Judas Priest "Painkiller" anytime during the day!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next