Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:49 pm 

Hey everyone!

I've had an interest in the Chernobyl disaster for a long time now and considering the havoc it wreaked, I figured it would have been a much more prominent subject within the metal world than it seems. This rings especially true for Ukranian bands, who, from my searches, have not made an contributions to metal with this subject. The only band that I am aware of that made a concept album about the disaster were the UK's Krupskaya and their album was entitled Clouds Over Pripyat. They're not in the archives, but they do fall under the metallic grindcore moniker. The album itself is okay, but I want to know if there's anything more that the metal world has contributed in regards to this historical moment? I don't care what sub-genre of metal it may be as I'm more concerned about the lyrical approach than anything else.

Thanks!

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:01 pm 

I've been interested in this subject for a long time, I'm interested in this topic as well.

The Monolith Deathcult did a song called "Concrete Sarcophagus" that deals with Chernobyl. Great track and really cool lyrics as well.

"Attending their fall-out funeral
This monstrous colossus
Radiating cancer
For generations to come "

Definitely bleak and apocalyptic. And I'll have to shamelessly mention that my band is working a song entitled "The Sons of Chernobyl" for our upcoming full length. Not specifically about Chernobyl, but inspired.

Aborym also did a song called "Chernobyl Generation" but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the disaster.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm 

Burning_Missive wrote:
This rings especially true for Ukranian bands, who, from my searches, have not made an contributions to metal with this subject.

Belarus was far more affected by the lingering effects of the Chernobyl disaster than Ukraine. But I don't know if you'd have any better luck looking at Belarusian bands.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
Aborym also did a song called "Chernobyl Generation" but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the disaster.

Actually, it has everything to do with the disaster. The so-called Chernobyl Generation is a real issue.

Anyway, there's also a song about the disaster by Dutch thrash band Fentanyl

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:23 pm 

Try "Chernobyl" on keyword search -> song title and album title. Brought some up...

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:37 pm 

Watchtower - Mayday in Kiev immediately comes to mind.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=121477

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:52 pm 

Impaled Nazarene's newest Manifest deals with Nuclear Holocaust, and the CD itself is a flawless mix of the radioactive sign and the sigil of Baphomet - which reflects how well the lyrical topics and black metal are fused together.

It's not specifically about Chernobyl, but it fits in well alongside it.

----------------
Now playing: Angel Corpse - Genghis Khan [Cover by Angel Corpse]
via FoxyTunes

MissingGhost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am 

Mütiilation has a song named "Cesium Syndrome 86" on the "Sorrow Galaxies" album. I kind of like it, it talks about nature's destruction caused by the Chernobyl disaster.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 am 

If I'm not mistaken, Pain of Salvation's "One hour By The Concrete lake" is about a lake near where the incident took place, though I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with the disaster itself or not.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:24 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Impaled Nazarene's newest Manifest deals with Nuclear Holocaust, and the CD itself is a flawless mix of the radioactive sign and the sigil of Baphomet - which reflects how well the lyrical topics and black metal are fused together.

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Oh lawd, you're a fool. Let's just rec Blasphemy and Bestial Warlust, they sing about Nuclear Holocaust too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and all of South America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Oh lawd, you're a fool. Let's just rec Blasphemy and Bestial Warlust, they sing about Nuclear Holocaust too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and all of South America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Was there some sort of problem with my post which gave reason to be condescending?

----------------
Now playing: Keep of Kalessin - The Mark of Power
via FoxyTunes

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:56 am 

It's just idiocy, Manifest has no more to do with Chernobyl than X Black Metal Band with a song title called "Nuclear Holocaust" or the likes. It's like having someone ask for bands with lyrics about Slavic Folk stuff or the likes and then recommending some Irish band singing about leprechauns, after all, IT'S ALL FOLK STUFF. :nono:

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:12 am 

Craft from Sweden has a song entitled "Reaktor 4".

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 am 

korgull wrote:

Just what I was going to say. Great song, except maybe for that corny spokenn bit.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:28 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
korgull wrote:

Just what I was going to say. Great song, except maybe for that corny spokenn bit.

Me too. It's what I said a similar topic a couple years ago...except then I was the FIRST. :(

Does anyone else laugh when he says "NEGLIGENCCCCEE" and draws it out? The spoken part is pretty damn silly.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:23 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
korgull wrote:

Me too. It's what I said a similar topic a couple years ago...except then I was the FIRST. :(

Does anyone else laugh when he says "NEGLIGENCCCCEE" and draws it out? The spoken part is pretty damn silly.

:lol: Yes, every damn time. Then I have to remind myself that I'm listening to some stellar metal and the moment passes. That chorus rules utterly.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
It's just idiocy, Manifest has no more to do with Chernobyl than X Black Metal Band with a song title called "Nuclear Holocaust" or the likes. It's like having someone ask for bands with lyrics about Slavic Folk stuff or the likes and then recommending some Irish band singing about leprechauns, after all, IT'S ALL FOLK STUFF. :nono:

Would you care to point out exactly where I said that Impaled Nazarene's album Manifest has anything specifically to do with Chernobyl?

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:14 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Would you care to point out exactly where I said that Impaled Nazarene's album Manifest has anything specifically to do with Chernobyl?

----------------
via FoxyTunes

You didn't, which is exactly my point. Why bother recommending Impaled Nazarene if they have nothing about Chernobyl in their lyrics and are no more "nuclear orientated" than the dime-a-dozen thrash and black metal bands that use the themes nowadays?

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

----------------
via FoxyTunes

You didn't, which is exactly my point. Why bother recommending Impaled Nazarene if they have nothing about Chernobyl in their lyrics and are no more "nuclear orientated" than the dime-a-dozen thrash and black metal bands that use the themes nowadays?

News to me man, I wasn't aware that there was such a movement with those lyric themes that such bands are a "dime-a-dozen" now.

----------------
Now playing: Suicide Commando - Save Me [Captive of Society Remix]
via FoxyTunes

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:24 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=205787

I just randomly stumbled upon that. Not sure if its any good though.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:56 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=205787

I just randomly stumbled upon that. Not sure if its any good though.

Now playing a myspace song. It's not bad actually. They're obviously very good musicians.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.