Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 am 

Out of curiosity, why does metal archives not recognize it as a genre of music and just considers it brutal death? It's obviously different. For example, compare devourment, vulvectomy, and clitoridus invaginatus with nile, suffocation, and orgin.... they sound nothing alike. They share a few properties but are very different. I honestly find this more odd than when metal archives denied deathcore as being a genre.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 am 

Very, very few and minor qualities to validate a differentiation.

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:57 am 

Definitely not. Brutal death is based upon technicality and speed. Slam death is based upon groove and breakdowns with bursts of speed. Also, slam death is noted for almost always mixing the drums too loud and also with primarily gutteral gurgles whether inward or outward. Brutal death is more into a rather even mix with bassy guitars and and typically standard growls, grunts, and gutterals.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:01 pm 

Nah, sorry. We see it differently.

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:07 pm 

Ok, it's your site but, out of curiosity, can you back up the idea that slam isn't a real genre?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 pm 

Because as I just mentioned, the differences are too few and too minor to validate the listing of it as a genre, or subgenre. You may think of it as a style of death metal, just as brutal death metal is a style of death metal.

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 pm 

ok, well, you say that the differences were very minor and i pointed out valid statements and facts about slam that show major yet, you don't seem to be open to any opinion on this. whatever, but tbh, it seems more like you won't accept it as a genre because you'd rather stick to you being 100% correct rather than slightly wavering and admitting something that is a genre is a genre. IMO, the differences between slam death metal to brutal death metal is as extreme as black metal to industrial black metal or death metal to avant-garde death metal... but whatever

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Very, very few and minor qualities to validate a differentiation.

No, seriously, the differences are far from minor; you cannot say Devourment is anything similar to Kronos for instance. As the viewer from nihil guy said, you have the gore, mainly US bree'n'blast on one side, and solid, "brutal" death metal on the other and they are quite different. But I'm just saying, I'm not arguing.
I've learnt that arguing is never really worth it here anyway.

GutturalEmesis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:44 pm 

viewer is totally correct.
if you can consider deathcore a genre,
i dont see a problem with accepting slamming death metal as one.

plus the differences are very far from minor.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:05 pm 

Wah wah wah...who the fuck cares? Brutal death metal is brutal death metal, too much categorizing will be the death of this site.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:37 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Wah wah wah...who the fuck cares? Brutal death metal is brutal death metal, too much categorizing will be the death of this site.

Since the point of this site is to be encyclopedic, ignoring a sub-genre of DM goes against the purpose of the intent of this site.

But, I'm just saying, not arguing it.

----------------
Now playing: Woods of Ypres - Outro: The End of August
via FoxyTunes

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:59 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

Since the point of this site is to be encyclopedic, ignoring a sub-genre of DM goes against the purpose of the intent of this site.

Ah, yes...but over-complicating things is needless. Brutal death metal should suffice.

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:

it's not like we're trying to categorize EVERY different kind of music (such as all of the ridiculous different kinds of core) but slam does have some very different and unique elements that are different from brutal death

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 pm 

I guess the real reason is that we don't consider slam death a proper established standalone sub-genre.

Genre descriptions aren't supposed to portray every stylistic variance. See, Slowly We Rot, Blessed Are the Sick, Nespithe, Left Hand Path, etc. all sound different from each other yet they are all labeled simply "death metal".

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:06 am 

MMisantropo wrote:
I guess the real reason is that we don't consider slam death a proper established standalone sub-genre.

Genre descriptions aren't supposed to portray every stylistic variance. See, Slowly We Rot, Blessed Are the Sick, Nespithe, Left Hand Path, etc. all sound different from each other yet they are all labeled simply "death metal".

hmmm... good point but then again those are a specific culture or country's spin on that genre. alot swedish DM models itself around entombed, alot of american DM models itself around morbid angel (slowly we rot has some very similar properties also), and if i'm correct, nespithe is more along the lines of Tech Death but, my point was that bands from certain countries tend to carry that country's signature sound and it would be a dumb idea to label it "swedish death" "american death" ect. yet, slam is a unique genre with a signature sound that is followed by slam bands all over the world

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:16 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

Ah, yes...but over-complicating things is needless. Brutal death metal should suffice.

Well, granted it should, so long as the sound of this supposed "slam" death doesn't constitute the need for distinction, MMisantropo put it well here:
MMisantropo wrote:

Which makes sense. But, if it can be proven as having a decent distinction, then that should, as the logic would go, be adopted here.

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Woods of Ypres - Crossing the 45th Parallel
via FoxyTunes

viewer_from_nihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 am 

for those who aren't familiar with slam...

devourment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgmW5RAHcEc

clitoridus invaginatus...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_C7E9KJ9Ig

as you can tell, it's known for extreme gutterals, very loud drums in the mix, breakdowns, and it focuses everything on groove... very different from brutal death

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 am 

It is still death metal, that is all that matters. It was already explained, so please stop trying.

You can label it as you wish for your personal/private needs, but our stance will not change.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:27 am 

Do you people just completely miss my point, or what? viewer_from_nihil, AurvandiL and GutturalEmesis.

Who is contesting here that "slam" death metal doesn't sound different from melodic death metal or brutal death metal? Not a single person.

What I am saying is that the differences are too few and too minor to valiate itself as a distinct sub-genre. It already belongs to a subgenre, it's death metal. As I'v mentioned, it is simply a style of death metal. Do you think we should give each and every iteration of death metal its own seperate classification? That is stupid and counter intuitive. Try to understand how an encyclopaedia works.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.