Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:07 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Plus, they take themselves far less seriously than they should which is a big deterrent for me not to like them; if they don't take themselves seriously - why should I? I'll leave them to be worshipped by the pre-pubescent hordes of Metal Blade records clones.

That's always been one of the attractions to me. A bunch of fat guys getting drunk and acting like tits is a fun approach. I've always considered music to be a release of artistic creativity and stress, and a more lighthearted approach to that always actually seems more genuine than a bunch of guys acting like they actually eat corpses.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Unhallowed was not bad for what it was but overall their music is pretty easily forgettable in the sense that it has been done far better a million times before. Trevor's vocals just keep getting more ridiculous. Plus, they take themselves far less seriously than they should which is a big deterrent for me not to like them; if they don't take themselves seriously - why should I? I'll leave them to be worshipped by the pre-pubescent hordes of Metal Blade records clones.

Hey, Immortal don't and they're one of the greatest black metal bands of all time.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am 

Hircine wrote:
thewitchfinder wrote:
Unhallowed was not bad for what it was but overall their music is pretty easily forgettable in the sense that it has been done far better a million times before. Trevor's vocals just keep getting more ridiculous. Plus, they take themselves far less seriously than they should which is a big deterrent for me not to like them; if they don't take themselves seriously - why should I? I'll leave them to be worshipped by the pre-pubescent hordes of Metal Blade records clones.

Hey, Immortal don't and they're one of the greatest black metal bands of all time.

Exactly, and until Black Dahlia is grouped among greats such as Immortal, they should stop acting so grandiose and audacious.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
MapleKit wrote:
Listen to At the Gates instead if you enjoy that style.

That's not related to this thread. Please leave or be constructive of the topic.

Lol!
This guy is a metalhead... At The Gates is definitely a good alternative choice to listen...

visyxx6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:22 am 

I loved Miasma.

Heavier, more technical, better production, and a little darker-sounding than Unhallowed. I think that people shit all over it because they dropped the horror/gore lyrics (except for "A Vulgar Picture"). The only track that I feel is "eh" is "Spite Suicide".

"Miscarriage" is also an interesting track, it's almost like they were trying to mix Maiden with the Gothenberg sound.

People throwing around the incorrect "metalcore" label: back it up with specific examples from a song. Unearth is metalcore...TBDM is melodic death metal. Read the lyrics, listen to the music, check out their influences...don't go by hair length.

kmfcm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

I think Arsis does what they're doing far better.

I don't think they're bad though.

and I like that they don't take themselves so seriously, if not just because it leads to them not having the same cliche music videos all the damn time.

They get called "metalcore" because they came from that scene. They always used to play shows with bands like Unearth and Undying. It's pretty dumb. They don't have any hardcore in their music.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:11 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
MapleKit wrote:
Listen to At the Gates instead if you enjoy that style.

That's not related to this thread. Please leave or be constructive of the topic.

Lol!
This guy is a metalhead... At The Gates is definitely a good alternative choice to listen...

This guy is a metalhead who wouldn't shut up about how crap death metal is these days and how it used to be so much better. :lol:
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 am 

They've definitely got skill, but I honestly can't listen to this guys vocals for more than 5 minutes...His shriek is fucking annoying...And as far as range goes, the dude from JFAC can do the same thing, and they're horrible. The drummers got metric shit tons of talent, but the guitar is really repetitive and the solos are unimaginative and devoid of a sense of feel. Lyrics are fucking awesome though, I'll give them that.

alcholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:24 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The Black Dahlia Murder is a band that I listened to when their first album came out, Unhallowed and back then, it really was a bit of a guilty pleasure because they were about three quarters metalcore, and a quarter death metal. I eventually kind of dropped off caring or following them, and I recently came back in the past couple of weeks with their newest, Nocturnal.

I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised. Truly, surprised. I honestly would've figured they would've hopped on the deathcore bandwagon, but that isn't the case. They really are a solid slab of death metal. I won't go into specifics, but I will say, they feel like mature and heavy death metal. They sound like they've really shed their metalcore skin, while, for the most part, avoiding the deathcore sound.

What are your thoughts on The Black Dahlia Murder, MA?

I used to be a massive fan. They came out here in 2006 and I saw them, loved it and met the guys. They came out again in 2007 because the 2006 had so much great press but by 2007 I was a bit out of them and the main reason I saw them was to see Cephalic Carnage who supported.

hawks9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:39 pm 

Well it appears the weak link is out of this band...the lead guitarist quit.

Saw them last night and they didn't sound the best as a four piece...they just cut out all of the solos. Misery Index and Soilent Green were fecking awesome though!

Heard a rumor that one of the guitar players from Arsis is joining...don't know if that would be James Malone or not??? I would think that he would be too busy...

BTW...there isn't too many bands as popular as The Black Dahlia Murder who would bring bands like Misery Index and Soilent Green out on tour with them...

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 pm 

hawks9 wrote:
Heard a rumor that one of the guitar players from Arsis is joining...don't know if that would be James Malone or not??? I would think that he would be too busy...

Ooh, that would be rather interesting.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm 

kmfcm wrote:
I think Arsis did what they're doing far better.

I think that's what you meant to say.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm 

visyxx6 wrote:
People throwing around the incorrect "metalcore" label: back it up with specific examples from a song. Unearth is metalcore...TBDM is melodic death metal. Read the lyrics, listen to the music, check out their influences...don't go by hair length.

They're a combination of both, as it says on their page here. They have been moving significantly toward the melodeath side, and I think Nocturnal is just about a bona fide example of melodeath. Good examples of their metalcore tendencies can mostly be found on Unhallowed. Such as "Elder Misanthropy", - the verse riff as well as the part at 1:15. Also, I would put forward "Closed Casket Requiem" and "Apex".

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3