Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 pm 

The guitar GOD himself, Michael Angelo Batio (MAB) gave Wellington (NZ) metallers, and guitar enthusiasts a treat last night, performing LIVE in clinic.

not a "concert" per se, but a "clinic" format, complete with discussion, anecdotes, tales from an illustrious touring career "...still playing 3 shows a week..." (quote) some awesome shredding, and some hyperactive, and enthralling humour, from the man himself - this was an awesome experience. all this for $10!!!!!!

Michael Angelo Batio is all class, and committed himself to signing "any and all" autographs for die-hard fans, after shredding out classic excerpts including many "Speed Kills" mainstays. CLASS ACT.

Fucking awesome show from a true METAL legend.

any of you guys been to either that, or any other, MAB concerts or clinics?

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 pm 

Was any of this recorded for our viewing or hearing pleasure?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:13 am 

Dechripastocide wrote:
Was any of this recorded for our viewing or hearing pleasure?

at least 50% of the audience was rocking cameras, phones etc. may want to check youtube over the next few days. hope someone got quality stuff. i would post my pic with him, but don't know how, plus, that would likely be frowned upon, i'd imagine?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 am 

I have an autographed MAB poster on my wall. He's a fucking killer guitarist. I'd die to see one of his clinics.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:22 am 

Misainzig wrote:
I have an autographed MAB poster on my wall. He's a fucking killer guitarist. I'd die to see one of his clinics.

surprised he's not doing that shit in the US.(considering the above quote about playing 3 shows per week)I think a chain of Rock Music stores here brought him over. He's a pretty down to earth dude, full of enthusiasm, even after signing 200 autographs from 14 year old Marilyn Manson fans and the like. :lol:

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

surprised he's not doing that shit in the US.(considering the above quote about playing 3 shows per week)I think a chain of Rock Music stores here brought him over. He's a pretty down to earth dude, full of enthusiasm, even after signing 200 autographs from 14 year old Marilyn Manson fans and the like. :lol:

He does do it often here, I'm just in a "shit-out-of-luck" type location.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:29 am 

Misainzig wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

can't be worse than New Zealand dude, but then again, Iron Maiden did just confirm that "Somewhere Back in Time Tour", albeit 9hr drive away from here.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:31 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

can't be worse than New Zealand dude, but then again, Iron Maiden did just confirm that "Somewhere Back in Time Tour", albeit 9hr drive away from here.

New Zealand kicks ass as far as I know. At least you guys aren't known for your cows, corn, and Carhenge.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:38 am 

Misainzig wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

New Zealand kicks ass as far as I know. At least you guys aren't known for your cows, corn, and Carhenge.

NZ is pretty sweet, just not for getting to see international acts. in that respect its shit. and if they do come, its usually just to Auckland (9hr drive-away from here). and do'nt be so sure about that, apparently NZ (according to many australians at least, has a reputation as a bunch of backward sheep-fornicators. :D

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:58 am 

I've been to a couple of clinics. First one was a John Petrucci one while he was doing the G3 Oz tour a few years ago. It was really good except for all the stupid, stupid questions some members of the audience asked ("Can you play flight of the bumblebee?"). He said some funny stuff and hes just an awesome guy. Dave LaRue did a thing as well to start it off for bass which kinda interested me more (being a bass player). He's cool as well.

I went to Paul Gilbert clinic early this year and it was probably better than the John Petrucci one. Paul is just such an awesome guy, amazing guitarist. I never realised how tall he was!!! The worst thing about this was the amount of Ibanez promotion he had to do (fair enough).

I haven't heard much MAB and I don't have any of his CDs or Nitro. I don't like him from what I've seen. He seems really cocky (more so than Yngwie). I mean 'quadguitar'? Just seems pretentious to me.

On a side note I have a Iron Maiden book (just a plan writing book with a hard cover) where I keep all my collectable things from concerts/clinics and signatures. I have signatures from John Petrucci, Dave LaRue, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and Mike Portnoy. As well as Steve Harris' sweatband/armband. :D

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:15 am 

He's not cocky at all. Just because someone plays something outrageous. I mean fuck, isn't playing guitar for an audience about showing off anyways? Why not do it TIMES FOUR!?!?!

My point is, he puts on great shows, and he has good abilities. That makes him cocky?

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:04 am 

Misainzig wrote:
He's not cocky at all. Just because someone plays something outrageous. I mean fuck, isn't playing guitar for an audience about showing off anyways? Why not do it TIMES FOUR!?!?!

My point is, he puts on great shows, and he has good abilities. That makes him cocky?

No his personality makes him cocky. From what I have seen on DVDs, youtube footage, etc, at least. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying that's what I see of him.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 pm 

steady666 wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

No his personality makes him cocky. From what I have seen on DVDs, youtube footage, etc, at least. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying that's what I see of him.

From what I have seen he is actually the opposite.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:32 pm 

I went to his clinic in Groton, CT a few months ago; the guy was pretty down to earth and damned amusing. I wasn't exactly 'blown away' but when all you listen to is shred and fusion in the first place, how ofter are you going to be really impressed? :P

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:14 pm 

I was astounded to find he was born in 1956 - I'd assumed he was in his 30s. To be half a century old and shredding like that is mind-boggling.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:34 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

it was well worth it ($10) would recommending doing it even if you have to travel an hour or so. excellent stuff.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm 

I am not really into just shredding and that, I just find it boring when entire songs are just guitar wankery. But still, it would be kind of cool to see someone like him play. And the price was more than acceptable.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:48 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

it was well worth it ($10) would recommending doing it even if you have to travel an hour or so. excellent stuff.

I guarantee you he won't play anywhere within 5 hours from where I live.

EDIT: But now that I think about it, I missed the first 3 days of school, and drove 15 hours to see the Metal Masters tour this year. Heh.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.