Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 am 

I can't seem to find answers to these physiological quirks anywhere so maybe someone can offer explanations to these curiosities and how they work:

1. Why do cigerettes briefly suppress an appetite?

2. Why does eating really spicy food make the nose run? Some people sweat instead or both from this.

3. How is it that alot of men with so much chest hair and facial hair tend to bald up top?

4. You go to a doctor for an annaul check up or to be seen for a condition, it's obvious that you are alive and breathing but they check your heart with a stethoscope to see if it's stil beating.

These are just some things I am curious to knwo the anwer to. I don't know if this site is the right place to ask about these. I was going to ask my doctor in passing but felt kind of stupid doing so. If anyone can offer any info to to peak curiosity it's much appreciated.

Azathoth500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:19 am 

i dunno, but as for #4, there could be some funny things going on in your heart that even if they aren't relevant to your condition, could fucking kill you regardless. i'm just guessing.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 am 

Yeah they could be checking for an irregular heart beat or a stutter.

ebola_legion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

Nicotine is a drug, and as you ingest it while smoking, suppression of appetite is one of the drugs side effects. On the same order of smoking Marijuana, and then feeling the need to eat.

marktheviktor wrote:
2. Why does eating really spicy food make the nose run? Some people sweat instead or both from this.

This is a guess. You're putting something hot in close contact with your nasal cavity, and this is one of the bodies reaction to it.

marktheviktor wrote:
3. How is it that alot of men with so much chest hair and facial hair tend to bald up top?

Balding is a genetic predisposition. The amounts of hair a man has on any part of their body has nothing to do with when or how much they will bald.

marktheviktor wrote:
4. You go to a doctor for an annaul check up or to be seen for a condition, it's obvious that you are alive and breathing but they check your heart with a stethoscope to see if it's stil beating.

Just because your heart is beating doesn't mean it's in perfect condition. Look up cardiac arrhythmia.
I am Kurt Cobain's reencarnation, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. The similarities between Kurt and I, are incredibly close, words can not describe my feelings for Kurt. I love him, and his music.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:39 am 

^ Dumbest answers ever. Don't post answers unless you know what you're talking about.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 am 

ebola_legion wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

Nicotine is a drug, and as you ingest it while smoking, suppression of appetite is one of the drugs side effects. On the same order of smoking Marijuana, and then feeling the need to eat.

marktheviktor wrote:

This is a guess. You're putting something hot in close contact with your nasal cavity, and this is one of the bodies reaction to it.

marktheviktor wrote:

Balding is a genetic predisposition. The amounts of hair a man has on any part of their body has nothing to do with when or how much they will bald.

marktheviktor wrote:

Just because your heart is beating doesn't mean it's in perfect condition. Look up cardiac arrhythmia.

Different drugs do different things, nicotine suppresses the appetite while smoking weed gives the munchies. Although, when I smoked weed I never got the munchies that much. So different drugs also do different things to different people.
As far as the stethoscope, it seems like the docs would probably not be able to detect cardiac arrhytmia just from using a the steth unless they are looking for it. But I guess they can.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 am 

Spicy foods irritate mucous membranes, and your nasal passages/sinuses respond to irritation by producing mucous.

Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 am 

Balding and excess body hair are both related to high levels of testosterone.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:08 pm 

Airflla wrote:

As far as I know testosterone is related to body and facial hair but not the scalp hair.

Speak for yourself.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:10 pm 

It is. It's a different type though.

Men with androgenic alopecia typically have lower levels of total testosterone, higher levels of unbound/free testosterone, and higher levels of total free androgens including DHT.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:40 pm 

Airflla wrote:
Which makes me the living embodiment of a tub of Anadrol.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:09 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

ROFL come on man how can you not know what he's checking? He's not checking to see if your hearts still beating; if that were the case you wouldn't even be able to make it to the doctor's appointment in the first place. He's checking your pulse patterns to make sure that it's beating normally and not irregularly.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Nicotine is a stimulant, which tend to suppress diet and give energy.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21 am 

Has any guy ever wondered why when they are taking a piss at a urinal, right after they just emptied every drop and they feel that little shiver go up the spine? That's another phys quirk I could never comprehend.

Vintersemestre
Shema Yisrael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:00 am 

Has anyone ever wondered why whenever you fuck an older more mature woman in the mouth roughly they tend to not cower away and complain like a younger lady does?

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Has any guy ever wondered why when they are taking a piss at a urinal, right after they just emptied every drop and they feel that little shiver go up the spine? That's another phys quirk I could never comprehend.

http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_ ... ivers.html

This might be your answer.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm 

Why do people insist on sending you an song of a band and/or genre of music that you already said you don't really like? I never got the compulsion to send someone a song I personally enjoy, unless they were interested in it before I mentioned it. :mad: Very aggravating!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm 

Another physiological quirk: Dreaming is typically more lucid after eating a full meal and going to sleep shortly after. Since dreaming has been said to be the mind's way of "taking a shit", I can see why. Literally food for thought.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:03 am 

Expedience wrote:
^ Dumbest answers ever. Don't post answers unless you know what you're talking about.

What the fuck are you talking about =.='

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Bobertist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm 

Foxx wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

http://scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_ ... ivers.html

This might be your answer.

I now understand so much that was unclear before... life has meaning now.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:59 pm 

Vintersemestre wrote:
Has anyone ever wondered why whenever you fuck an older more mature woman in the mouth roughly they tend to not cower away and complain like a younger lady does?

Because they're more grateful, and know what they're in for.

I'll have an older lady any day.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:13 am 

Another one I forgot to ask in my original post as well is about a cold. I never understood what the correlation of catching a cold is with being wet from the outside rain. Like when some warns you of "catching your death" without a jacket coming in from the storm. Why would you be more suseptible to catching the flu or cold from unprotected weather? I never got that.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 am 

I think it's more to do with the change in body heat. I find I often get colds due to extreme changes in the weather. Somehow this must effect your immune system, but I don't quite know how.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:02 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

The reason why they do that isn't actually anything to do with your heart. it's so they can check your breathing. If they just put an ear to your mouth and said "breathe" you're not going to breathe naturally, are you? The stethoscope, in this case, is a prop more then anything.

Extremely unreliable source:
http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000458.html

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

AnthologyMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 pm 

Last time I went to my doctor for a pulse check up my heart rate was 43! Is that unusual?

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm 

If the reading was accurate, it probably means that you have a strong heart.

Candehman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Another one I forgot to ask in my original post as well is about a cold. I never understood what the correlation of catching a cold is with being wet from the outside rain. Like when some warns you of "catching your death" without a jacket coming in from the storm. Why would you be more suseptible to catching the flu or cold from unprotected weather? I never got that.

I guess that's the reason they're called colds! :P

AnthologyMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 pm 

Well I run track and cross country as my hobby so I guess that is the reason why my heart is strong.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.