Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HARLEY_XLH666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:18 pm 

Hi everyone. I just registered for the site and upon reading the guidelines and FAQ stuff I came acoss a statement that said "(exceptions are made for those of you who live in backward countries where heavy metal is against the law; we will gladly help you make the information more anonymous if necessary)".

I have tried such google searches as: heavy metal illegal, where is heavy metal illegal and other similar keywords but am failing to come up with the type of information I'm looking for.

Wondering if anyone could give me a few examples of countries where this is the case or point me somewhere I could get some more information or research on this with subject with information such as the reasoning behind the bans and when it took effect and stuff like that?

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:50 pm 

Malaysia is well known for this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1473198.stm

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 pm 

Iran is also known for this, especially with Black Metal bands, though Iranian black metal bands don't get accepted easly on the archives.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Boomhower
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:12 pm 

Watch the movie "Global Metal"

It has a lot of information about the subject. It is from the same director of "Metal: A Headsbangers Journey"

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:16 pm 

Due to an obscure law passed in 1971, heavy metal music is actually illegal in Canada, though no one has ever been prosecuted for it. You should know though that the appropriate authorities could, in theory, arrest you for being on this very website.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

RaveNStorM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:18 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
Due to an obscure law passed in 1971, heavy metal music is actually illegal in Canada, though no one has ever been prosecuted for it. You should know though that the appropriate authorities could, in theory, arrest you for being on this very website.

Hopefully they'll arrest Cryptopsy so they never make music again.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:25 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:

tell me more!!!

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:26 pm 

Global Metal seconded. It mentions a lot about how life as a metalhead is in those countries.

Osgilliath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:33 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:

Source? A cursory search on Google brings me back to this thread, and your post in particular...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:38 pm 

In some arabic countries, people (might) get arrested for "being satanists".

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 pm 

Yeah, any Islamic theocratic dictatorship probably frowns upon heavy metal. I'm sure heavy metal was illegal in Afghanistan under the Taliban.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:32 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:

Which "obscure law" is that? I haven't been able to find anything about it...

HARLEY_XLH666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 pm 

I just checked out the Global Metal trailor and that seems a really good starting point. Now I'm also really interested in finding out about that Canada law too. Thanks for all the replies.

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:40 pm 

Osgilliath wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

Source? A cursory search on Google brings me back to this thread, and your post in particular...

Well that's a ridiculous law to be passed. To think my very own country may have outlawed heavy metal.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:44 pm 

Life_Sucks wrote:
I'm sure heavy metal was illegal in Afghanistan under the Taliban.

There was no heavy metal in Afghanistan. Hell, they'd be extremely lucky if they could smuggle any Beatles or ABBA into the country. Music was forbidden under the Taliban's rule.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 pm 

Life_Sucks wrote:
Yeah, any Islamic theocratic dictatorship probably frowns upon heavy metal. I'm sure heavy metal was illegal in Afghanistan under the Taliban.

If I'm not mistaken, every form of "art" was illegal back then, not only metal music.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:05 pm 

Tronic wrote:
Osgilliath wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

Well that's a ridiculous law to be passed. To think my very own country may have outlawed heavy metal.

As I've said, it's a rather obscure law that has seen no actual use in Canadian legal proceedings, so it's not surprising that Google wouldn't have it.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:39 pm 

Belial_ wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, every form of "art" was illegal back then, not only metal music.

I think that the Taliban would have permitted forms of Islamic art, such as architecture, calligraphy (Islamic calligraphy is absolutely amazing), ceramics, geometric patterns and such - accepted forms of art that did not constitute some form of sin, or distract people from practicing and gaining knowledge of Islam. Correct me if I'm wrong though. In any case, music would definitely get heads rolling.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
Tronic wrote:
Osgilliath wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

As I've said, it's a rather obscure law that has seen no actual use in Canadian legal proceedings, so it's not surprising that Google wouldn't have it.

OK, but, may I ask, how do you know about it? I'm curious because that's so ridiculous, if true, it definitely warrants some explanation and proof.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Belial_ wrote:

I think that the Taliban would have permitted forms of Islamic art, such as architecture, calligraphy (Islamic calligraphy is absolutely amazing), ceramics, geometric patterns and such - accepted forms of art that did not constitute some form of sin, or distract people from practicing and gaining knowledge of Islam. Correct me if I'm wrong though. In any case, music would definitely get heads rolling.

Yes that's quite an amazing way to live, Islam is everything in your life and anything else is banned. Those fuckers deserved to be invaded regardless of 9/11. As for the heavy metal law in Canada, I'd be interested to know about that as well, obscure as it may be. Where'd you hear about it?

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 pm 

thomash wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:
Tronic wrote:
Osgilliath wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

OK, but, may I ask, how do you know about it? I'm curious because that's so ridiculous, if true, it definitely warrants some explanation and proof.

Bob Tarantino's 'Under Arrest: Canadian Laws You Won't Believe'.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Arrest-Cana ... 1550027034

It sources some chapter of the Canadian penal code for it with a bunch of letters and numbers I can't remember. I remember that the punishment was different for distributing versus owning/listening. Distributing was punishable by up to five years per item (tape/CD/vinyl record/shirt/zine/etc.), just owning was less. Performing it live, oddly enough, was legal.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 pm 

Expedience wrote:

Just to follow up on this, here's some information I received from a metalhead who lives in Malaysia:

"It's fine to wear metal band t-shirts as long as there is no desecration shown. However, if you go to West Malaysia, be careful as most of the people there are Muslims and might see you from a negative perspective even if your t-shirts do not show any sign of blasphemy. If you go to East Malaysia, there won't be much people complaining due to the majority here are pagans,Hindus,Buddhist and Christians. For some reason, the Christians here don't seem to care about anything satanic here."

"It's fine to wear metal t-shirts here as long as there is no desecration of any sort."

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:10 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
Bob Tarantino's 'Under Arrest: Canadian Laws You Won't Believe'.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Arrest-Cana ... 1550027034

It sources some chapter of the Canadian penal code for it with a bunch of letters and numbers I can't remember. I remember that the punishment was different for distributing versus owning/listening. Distributing was punishable by up to five years per item (tape/CD/vinyl record/shirt/zine/etc.), just owning was less. Performing it live, oddly enough, was legal.

Well, that's interesting. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have stopped Canada from producing some pretty kick-ass metal.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:13 pm 

I'm making it up.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
I'm making it up.

Seriously, guys. An obscure law passed in 1971 that criminalises heavy metal music in Canada? :lol:

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
I'm making it up.

I should have known better.

:durr:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 pm 

Noktorn has just proven, in a very elegant manner, that people are indeed stupid enough to believe anything as long as you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Y'all've disappointed me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Noktorn has just proven, in a very elegant manner, that people are indeed stupid enough to believe anything as long as you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Y'all've disappointed me.

Look, stranger things have happened. Coming from the States, there was a time when assholes in Congress nearly banned Metal not too long ago...

However, if I'd remembered that Septic Tomb is Noktorn, I never would have listened to him about anything. :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.