Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VeiledWhite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:32 am 

i know this is a rather weird request but i would like some recommendations of bands that use vintage, 1930s and 40s vinyl sounding samples in their music.

for example, the last minute or so of marduk's voices from avignon or something from axis of perdition's latest album

im not looking for any specific genre which is why i didnt post this in one of the reccomendation threads

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:36 am 

Megadeth has a sample of The Ink Spots' "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" in their song "Set The World Afire." The Ink Spots themselves are from the 30s-40s, but I'm not sure when that song was released.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:52 am 

One of the tracks (I don't have the disc to hand, but it was probably track 2 "Commemeration") from The 3rd And The Mortal's "Painting On Glass" has a vintage vinyl effect with a trombone playing. The band weren't really metal by this point however, but it may be worth a listen.

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:11 am 

Frangar is a black metal band who uses some samples of music from the fascist era.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:59 pm 

balbulus wrote:
One of the tracks (I don't have the disc to hand, but it was probably track 2 "Commemeration") from The 3rd And The Mortal's "Painting On Glass" has a vintage vinyl effect with a trombone playing. The band weren't really metal by this point however, but it may be worth a listen.

I've checked the CD, it IS track 2, but also track 3 is made to sound like a vintage recording as well, so this album could well be up your street. Listening to the album again for the first time in years it's actually pretty good, though I find it drags a bit towards the end. I do prefer their first releases though, the "Sorrow" EP and the "Tears Laid In Earth" album.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:51 pm 

The beginning of the Kenose EP by Deathspell Omega starts off with vinyl crackle that continues for a good few minutes. Very dark and lonesome sounding.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:57 pm 

If you're into dark ambient, I suggest you check out one of Lustmord's first albums, which is considered as the foundation to all dark ambient music. The album is entitled Lustmordekay Tape, and includes eight eerie tunes that were recorded on tape/vinyl, in the studio. The very end of the last track includes a '20s-'40s song that you would hear in a psycho horror film, and can even be comparable to the song you hear in Axis of Perdition's "Pendulum Prey (Second Incarceration)". Enjoy.

VeiledWhite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:28 pm 

Grimmenfrost wrote:
If you're into dark ambient, I suggest you check out one of Lustmord's first albums, which is considered as the foundation to all dark ambient music. The album is entitled Lustmordekay Tape, and includes eight eerie tunes that were recorded on tape/vinyl, in the studio. The very end of the last track includes a '20s-'40s song that you would hear in a psycho horror film, and can even be comparable to the song you hear in Axis of Perdition's "Pendulum Prey (Second Incarceration)". Enjoy.

thanks, that is exactly the type of music i was looking for

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 am 

VeiledWhite wrote:
Grimmenfrost wrote:

thanks, that is exactly the type of music i was looking for

i am a fan of mr brian williams
and this early pjase sounds very interesting

thank you for advice

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm 

The first track on Below the Lights by Enslaved has an effect like this (I beleive the song is called As Fire Swept Clean the Earth). Good track, great album.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 pm 

Diablo Swing Orchestra
...has some of those moments if I recall correctly

Hollywars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:45 pm 

Ministry used some Frank Sinatra movie clips, but I wouldn't consider Ministry metal really.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 am 

Hollywars wrote:
Ministry used some Frank Sinatra movie clips, but I wouldn't consider Ministry metal really.

They're on the Archives ;)

----------------
Now playing: Lamb of God - For Your Malice
via FoxyTunes

Melmoth_the_Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:34 am 

Madder Mortem's Desiderata album is full of the weird scratchy vinyl noises, and sounds like an old fucked up Edith Piaf album at times.

Good album too, check out the first track and see if it fits the bill.

EDIT: well maybe not the first track

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.