Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 am 

I second Ordo Ad Chao.

I also really liked Stench of Redemption from Deicide as well.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:40 am 

evil528e wrote:
Motorhead I would say.

You're either trying (and failing) to be funny, or else you fail at elementary metal knowledge.

I'm going to go the obvious route and say Judas Priest. They're the ones that count. I've also loved Black Sabbath's output post reunion with Ozzy or Dio.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:09 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
manilla road didnt make a great comeback because they havent released a shitty album ever.

Yes, but considering they never really made music during the 90s (not counting "Circus Maximus" here, although that is actually growing on me a bit), I think they fit the thread's criteria.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:31 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Also, I must say that despite it being their weakest by a long shot I enjoy Dissection's Reinkaos (which has more in common with what a Jon Nödtveidt solo album would sound like instead of a full-fledged Dissection album.

Look out for Trident, a band with Johan Norman on guitars aswell as Tobias Sidegård from Necrophobic-fame in a band which sounds A LOT like the classic Dissection. Shows that Jon wasn't the sole creative component in those old days, but that his fellow axemen played a huge part too.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 am 

ENKC wrote:
evil528e wrote:
Motorhead I would say.

You're either trying (and failing) to be funny, or else you fail at elementary metal knowledge.

What do you mean by that?
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 am 

Exodus' TOTD was pretty good, though Steve's vocals became a bit more annoying than before. Metallica's was a good change to their horribly shitty style. Testament's TFOD was simply excellent.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
ENKC wrote:
evil528e wrote:
Motorhead I would say.

What do you mean by that?

This was the opening post:

colin040 wrote:
Which bands, in your opinion have made great, unexpected comebacks after beeing splitted up for years?

Now you tell me what you think I mean by that.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:14 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Mercyful Fate - In the Shadows - Almost as strong as the previous two, really great album.

Helstar - The King of Hell is amazing, the band sounds exactly like they did 20 years ago, which is a very good thing!

Definitely Mercyful Fate!
But when did they ever sound less-than-perfect?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:23 pm 

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, except for Artillery, who did an awesome comeback twice. First time was in 1990, with an album that is nothing short of genius, classic, essential, etc. etc. I'm talking of course about By Inheritance. Then ... they did it again with BACK, which was sort of a mixture of their early work, BI and some more groovy stuff. They came back for a third time in recent years and a next album is planned for next year and there isn't much doubt in my mind that they will give us a third awesome comeback.

I almost forgot about Heathen. Now, I haven't heard the new album yet but the 2005 demo on itself to warrant the tag "awesome comeback". Hell, I even like the demo more than most of their older work, which is saying quite a lot. Three years later we're still all waiting for the damn album, and it looks like this wont make it to 2008 at all. Hopefully in the end the wait will be worth it, though considering they've played all three demo songs on recent tours, combined with the fact that they've literately had years to perfect the songs ... something seriously fucked up needs to happen to not make this awesome.

GroanofWind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 pm 

Celestia - Frigidiis Apotheosia : Abstinencia Genesiis

they came back with a great new album
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... 65#1039465

TRADELIST
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=41503

Ripped-Off By: Frozen_Water_Burial and Azrahell

Check My CD Collection in my profile (Still Updating)

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm 

Motorhead

March or Die - Bastards

Snake Bite Love, We Are Motorhead, Hammered - Inferno

Riot

Born In America - Thundersteel

Judas Priest

Point of Entry - Screaming for Vengeance

Turbo, Ram it Down - Painkiller

These are the albums that come to mind.

Last edited by trueMunchies on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:33 pm 

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but I'm going to say Dragonforce with Ultra Beatdown. Inhuman Rampage was unmemorable and just plain annoying for the most part, but Ultra Beatdown is an extremely fun reminder of the potential they showed with their debut.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:58 pm 

Did Brocas Helm ever split in the huge gap between second and third album? I don't know if they stuck together that entire time or not, but I can honestly say if their 2004 album counts as a "comeback" it has to be one of my favorites of all time.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:28 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Did Brocas Helm ever split in the huge gap between second and third album? I don't know if they stuck together that entire time or not, but I can honestly say if their 2004 album counts as a "comeback" it has to be one of my favorites of all time.

Oh yeah .. I dont' know if they actually split, but they didn't really seem to be doing much throughout the 90s, kind of like Manilla Road, although they maybe did release a 7 or two?

"Defender of the Crown" certainly stands like an indomitable giant above most things.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:30 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I'm sure many of you will disagree, but I'm going to say Dragonforce with Ultra Beatdown. Inhuman Rampage was unmemorable and just plain annoying for the most part, but Ultra Beatdown is an extremely fun reminder of the potential they showed with their debut.

That doesn't count, the drop in quality wasn't big and they were only 2 years apart.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

That doesn't count, the drop in quality wasn't big and they were only 2 years apart.

Oh true. Damn. I'll agree with Guillotine then.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:49 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
i rate iron maiden & bruce's reunion effort pretty highly. while i don't dislike the Blaze era stuff, i do think those are their weakest albums. when they reunited with Bruce and put out Brave New World, i think they were back on track. i really enjoy that album a lot.

Seconded! I think "Brave New World" is a very solid album, "Dance of Death" is pretty alright, and "A Matter of Life and Death" is pretty solid overall....

and yes, if Immortal do eventually end up releasing something, I have no doubt that I will love it...

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:27 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
i rate iron maiden & bruce's reunion effort pretty highly. while i don't dislike the Blaze era stuff, i do think those are their weakest albums. when they reunited with Bruce and put out Brave New World, i think they were back on track. i really enjoy that album a lot.

Seconded! I think "Brave New World" is a very solid album, "Dance of Death" is pretty alright, and "A Matter of Life and Death" is pretty solid overall....

and yes, if Immortal do eventually end up releasing something, I have no doubt that I will love it...

glad to see you agree. fuck i love that album!!!! it's great that Legendary British bands like priest, saxon, motorhead and maiden still put out great stuff into the 2000's!

sadly, while i really enjoyed "Dance of Death" (albeit not as much as "Brave new World") i felt let down by their latest effort. kinda bored by it. thats just me though

grindon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm 

Testament's new one

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:22 am 

i know my wishful thinking comeback would be

ATROPHY!!!!!!!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:14 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Mercyful Fate - In the Shadows - Almost as strong as the previous two, really great album.

Helstar - The King of Hell is amazing, the band sounds exactly like they did 20 years ago, which is a very good thing!

They didn't! But the thread is about bands splitting up and then coming back with an awesome album.

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 am 

Manilla Road, obviously. Their latest albums are all awesome, from Atlantis Rising to Voyager... I even think I prefer their new stuff over the rest of their catalogue, I never was a big fan of their 80's albums.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:24 am 

Expedience wrote:
iAmDisturbed wrote:
Expedience wrote:

They didn't! But the thread is about bands splitting up and then coming back with an awesome album.

You forget Mercyful Fate's 9 album. Such a fucking bore, King's idea to continue both KD and MF was a terrible one. What a way to get with traditional metal slump, eh King?

kris_dobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 am 

Didn't see anyone mentioning Cynic. I thought Traced in Air was a great album and a great come back.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:17 am 

kris_dobo wrote:
Didn't see anyone mentioning Cynic. I thought Traced in Air was a great album and a great come back.

Ditto.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:09 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'd say Gorefest. They came back with 2 great albums, especially their latest.

I'll second that! I think Gorefest two comeback albums are their two best albums ever.
Very powerful stuff.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:33 pm 

Iron Maiden's releases after Bruce and Adrian's returns are all amazing. More complex, structured, and thoughtful composition.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 pm 

Agree entirely with the comments that Brave New World was a HUGE comeback for Maiden. I also concur with Monotheist, honestly, I think that album is probably the definition of comeback in terms of metal.

But two others people somehow missed.

How on earh has no one said Amorphis yet? Eclipse is probably one of the biggest come backs in the history of metal, and Silent Water only made that comeback even more strong.

Also, Hypocrisy's Virus, to name another. It's not like that record doesn't beat the previous three or four hands down in my opinion.

Alocer7138r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 pm 

Jarnroth wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Also, I must say that despite it being their weakest by a long shot I enjoy Dissection's Reinkaos (which has more in common with what a Jon Nödtveidt solo album would sound like instead of a full-fledged Dissection album.

Look out for Trident, a band with Johan Norman on guitars aswell as Tobias Sidegård from Necrophobic-fame in a band which sounds A LOT like the classic Dissection. Shows that Jon wasn't the sole creative component in those old days, but that his fellow axemen played a huge part too.

i can't find the band your talking about, can someone link please.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:57 pm 

kris_dobo wrote:

I guess no one mentioned Cynic because no one expected anything less :-)

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:00 pm 

Judas Priest and Halford rank very highly in my list; along with Iron Maiden and Bruce.

And also Atheist; first album in 15 years o_o

Since I <3 Megadeth so much, I'll also mention how Dave came back and restarted it.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm 

Celtic Frost is the first tant comes to mind. And Amorphis's new albums are alot better than that progressive shit they released in the mid 90's, so I'd say that they did a pretty awesome comeback.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:15 am 

FragKrag wrote:
Judas Priest and Halford rank very highly in my list; along with Iron Maiden and Bruce.

And also Atheist; first album in 15 years o_o

Since I <3 Megadeth so much, I'll also mention how Dave came back and restarted it.

Angel of Retribution was indeed a great effort. didnt care for the priest releases without him, to be honest.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:31 am 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Mayhem's "Ordo Ad Chao" was a damn good comeback considering their mediocre previous 2 albums.

your kidding me right? i bought the album and put it on, and it put me to sleep, it was horrible man.

FOAD

OMGItsEvy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:56 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Warlocks_amulet wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Hopefully Immortal's next album will kick ass, if they release something on par with their usual music they'll qualify for a great comeback.

Also, I must say that despite it being their weakest by a long shot I enjoy Dissection's Reinkaos (which has more in common with what a Jon Nödtveidt solo album would sound like instead of a full-fledged Dissection album).

Carcass kicked ass live when I saw them earlier this fall, so that can be counted as a good comeback.

I thought Immortal disbanded back in 2003?

Yeah they did. And they reunited in 2006. Apparently a new album will be released in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=75

For some reason I've surmised that another photoshopped band photo of them will be circulating soon.

To the OP:
I agree with the others about Cynic. That band failed to disappoint. :)

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:37 am 

I never liked the first Cynic album anyway, but I do think they managed to keep the spirit over the years. Why people call it death metal is beyond me, though.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 am 

Count_Grazadh wrote:
your kidding me right? i bought the album and put it on, and it put me to sleep, it was horrible man.

I thought so too. And Grand Declaration of War wasn't so bad, at least it was fairly original and there were some good songs on it.

differer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am 

My votes to both Gorefest and Cynic.

Obituary didn't do bad either, although I'm not their biggest fan. Since the comeback they've been at least as good as ever.

Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:34 am 

I'm surprised "NO U" hasn't been posted yet.

I would say Drudkh's lastest is a comeback of sorts, even though they didn't split up per se, they just derailed themselves for a few releases. It doesn't match up to Swan Road, AA or Forgotten legends but it's a good deal more satisfying than what came between.

xSIZEMATTER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 am 

Metallica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I make myself laugh.....

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next