Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm 
 

More_brains wrote:
13-Morbid saint- Lock up your children

That's not an album.

Besides, don't post content-less lists.

Top
 Profile  
NekroExhumer
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 pm 
 

Ummm, Venom's Black Metal. Damn thrashy, no doubt.

Top
 Profile  
More_brains
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 pm 
 

Kruel wrote:
More_brains wrote:
13-Morbid saint- Lock up your children

That's not an album.

Besides, don't post content-less lists.


Actually it was a demo, not an album but whatever. Spectrum of death is what I meant to say.

Top
 Profile  
Lyrici17
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:20 am
Posts: 1322
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:53 pm 
 

Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Lyrici17

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47 am 
 

Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:

My top 10 thrash albums of all time:

10. Slayer - Reign in Blood
9. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
8. Destruction - The Antichrist
7. Slayer - Show No Mercy
6. Deceased - As The Weird Travel On
5. Dekapitator - We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!
4. Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
3. Destruction - Eternal Devastation
2. Destruction - Cracked Brain
1. Gammacide - Victims of Science


10. Slayer's Reign in Blood was one of the best commercial thrash albums ever, really unleashing underground metal to the real world. Aside from the stellar guitar work and Lombardo's fantastic drumming, the best aspect of this album in my opinion is the lyrics.

9. Kreator's Pleasure to Kill brought forth some of the darkest heaviest thrash that not only Germany, but the world had really witnessed at the time.

8. I chose Destruction's The Antichrist as eight because they have put out several great albums, but this album was a bench mark for them in my opinion. For a band that had been around since the 80s, this album really stapled their consistancy up until that point. Sadly after this one, their albums grew weaker and weaker. But, Nailed to the Cross is one of the best thrash songs ever.

7. Slayer - Show No Mercy. Not alot to say here. I chose it because it was a terrific cross over album between classic metal, and thrash metal. It was a great mixture of the two genres, with terrific song writing, and evil undertones with loose messy playing that still managed to be seemingly correct.

6. Deceased's As the Weird Travel On is a great newer thrash album, complete with great art, great leadwork, and amazing songwriting abilities. One of my favorite releases of "Melancholy Thrash"

5. It was so awesome to see the guys from Exhumed put together a death thrash album such as Dekapitator's We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!. This release brought thrash to a whole new level of brutality. This albums strongest spot in my opinion was the drumming, oh my god it was awesome. Check out the track "Possessed By Damnation"

4. I picked Tourniquet's Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance purely because of the progressive approach that I feel most thrash bands have been unable to capture. This album is technically brilliant, yet still abbrasive. Very good album, even for Christian music. Yuck.

2-3. Destruction's Eternal Devastation and Cracked Brain were my picks because of the great dark and evil influences of the band, without being black or death metal. Just the feeling of metal anarchy, the ruthlessness, the image, the influences. This is thrash. They had such a great production that fit the music. I must say, Cracked Brain is a very overlooked album in my opinion. If you passed on it in the past, I suggest giving it another listen.

1. My number one thrash album, I chose Gammacide's Victim of Science. Such a great, underground gem. It's just loose, fast paced, unrelenting thrash, with a great lyrical base. Fantastic guitarwork, and great vocals in my opinion. Anyone who claims to be a fan of thrash needs to familarize themselves with this album.

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 am 
 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
Sodom: Obsessed By Cruelty.


You are joking right? :P

That is (IMO) Sodom's worst album. The horrible production renders the album almost unlistenable, as its hard to even make out individual riffs, let alone the songs themselves.

"Persecution Mania", "Agent Orange", "Better Off Dead" and "Code Red" are all classic thrash albums, and classic Sodom! :metal:

Top
 Profile  
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am
Posts: 4242
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:51 am 
 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Unholy_Asar wrote:
Sodom: Obsessed By Cruelty.


You are joking right? :P

That is (IMO) Sodom's worst album. The horrible production renders the album almost unlistenable, as its hard to even make out individual riffs, let alone the songs themselves.

"Persecution Mania", "Agent Orange", "Better Off Dead" and "Code Red" are all classic thrash albums, and classic Sodom! :metal:


I happen to enjoy Obsessed By Cruelty quite a lot. In The Sign Of Evil is great too.

Top
 Profile  
Burning_In_Hell
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:46 am
Posts: 4
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:59 am 
 

Alot of great albums. I may have missed it but I didn't see Annihilators Alice in Hell. It's one of my personal favorites.

Top
 Profile  
More_brains
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 pm
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 am 
 

Burning_In_Hell wrote:
Alot of great albums. I may have missed it but I didn't see Annihilators Alice in Hell. It's one of my personal favorites.


Yeah, thats a good one to.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:32 am 
 

AngelicStorm wrote:
Unholy_Asar wrote:
Sodom: Obsessed By Cruelty.


You are joking right? :P

That is (IMO) Sodom's worst album. The horrible production renders the album almost unlistenable, as its hard to even make out individual riffs, let alone the songs themselves.

"Persecution Mania", "Agent Orange", "Better Off Dead" and "Code Red" are all classic thrash albums, and classic Sodom! :metal:


You're shitting me!? Obsessed by Cruelty rules, it's sloppy and the guitar sound is awful but it works. Witchhunter's drumming along is absolutely killer. Code Red is the worst Sodom album I've heard, the Vice of Killing is great but the rest comes across as a sub-par Slayer album. Although I like Obsessed by Cruelty a lot I like In the Sign of Evil better for early, sloppy Sodom.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 am 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
You're shitting me!?

Obsessed by Cruelty rules, it's sloppy and the guitar sound is awful but it works. Witchhunter's drumming along is absolutely killer. Code Red is the worst Sodom album I've heard, the Vice of Killing is great but the rest comes across as a sub-par Slayer album. Although I like Obsessed by Cruelty a lot I like In the Sign of Evil better for early, sloppy Sodom.


Nope :P

Ive only heard the whole thing right through once. Its the production mainly...its hard to tell the quality of the actual songs because the audio is so bad! Even In The Sign Of Evil had a clearer production.

The Vice Of Killing is my fave song on that album, but i really love most of the rest of it too. Yup, it is very "Slayerish" but that on its own isnt enough to make it bad. Tapping The Vein is definitely the most underrated Sodom album, and consistency wise, is probably their best. A true gem of a thrash album!

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6443
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am 
 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
AngelicStorm wrote:
Unholy_Asar wrote:
Sodom: Obsessed By Cruelty.


You are joking right? :P

That is (IMO) Sodom's worst album. The horrible production renders the album almost unlistenable, as its hard to even make out individual riffs, let alone the songs themselves.

"Persecution Mania", "Agent Orange", "Better Off Dead" and "Code Red" are all classic thrash albums, and classic Sodom! :metal:


I happen to enjoy Obsessed By Cruelty quite a lot. In The Sign Of Evil is great too.


A lot of people seem to enjoy early Sodom for their crazy obscure sound and completely old school production values. I respect them for this. Persecution Mania, while having better production, is a fine thrash release.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
Shitloads of bands continue to gloriously invoke the majestic throne of Satan every single day.

Top
 Profile  
Avaddons_blood
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2677
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm 
 

AngelicStorm wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
You're shitting me!?

Obsessed by Cruelty rules, it's sloppy and the guitar sound is awful but it works. Witchhunter's drumming along is absolutely killer. Code Red is the worst Sodom album I've heard, the Vice of Killing is great but the rest comes across as a sub-par Slayer album. Although I like Obsessed by Cruelty a lot I like In the Sign of Evil better for early, sloppy Sodom.


Nope :P

Ive only heard the whole thing right through once. Its the production mainly...its hard to tell the quality of the actual songs because the audio is so bad! Even In The Sign Of Evil had a clearer production.

The Vice Of Killing is my fave song on that album, but i really love most of the rest of it too. Yup, it is very "Slayerish" but that on its own isnt enough to make it bad. Tapping The Vein is definitely the most underrated Sodom album, and consistency wise, is probably their best. A true gem of a thrash album!


Well, Sodom don't need so much Slayer to their sound and that is a flaw with Code Red, however, M-16 has a lot of more Slayer than most Sodom to it and has better songs so it's not the alone influence that is a problem, just the execution. In the Sign of Evil is one of my favourites I can't listen to it without grinning the whole way through.

As for the most underrated Sodom album, Tapping the Vein is actually getting more and more praise, which is fair enough, it's a great album. It's a very heavy album so it's a favourite with some people. However for me it's got to be Better Off Dead. It's less heavier and there's a really strong rock 'n' roll influence in there, but that's right up my street.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:52 pm 
 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.


I don't think any of them belong in the top thrash albums ever. Any one with Sepultura or Metallica in their list is missing the point utterly, in my opinion.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:56 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.


I don't think any of them belong in the top thrash albums ever. Any one with Sepultura or Metallica in their list is missing the point utterly, in my opinion.


How the fuck is Sepultura or Metallica missing the point? Those bands - regardless of what they became - were legendary back in the day. Please, oh lord of metal and possessor of infinite thrash wisdom, tell us plebs what are the great thrash metal albums?
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:04 pm 
 

grindon wrote:

My top 10 thrash albums of all time:

10. Slayer - Reign in Blood
9. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
8. Destruction - The Antichrist
7. Slayer - Show No Mercy
6. Deceased - As The Weird Travel On
5. Dekapitator - We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!
4. Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
3. Destruction - Eternal Devastation
2. Destruction - Cracked Brain
1. Gammacide - Victims of Science


10. Slayer's Reign in Blood was one of the best commercial thrash albums ever, really unleashing underground metal to the real world. Aside from the stellar guitar work and Lombardo's fantastic drumming, the best aspect of this album in my opinion is the lyrics.

9. Kreator's Pleasure to Kill brought forth some of the darkest heaviest thrash that not only Germany, but the world had really witnessed at the time.

8. I chose Destruction's The Antichrist as eight because they have put out several great albums, but this album was a bench mark for them in my opinion. For a band that had been around since the 80s, this album really stapled their consistancy up until that point. Sadly after this one, their albums grew weaker and weaker. But, Nailed to the Cross is one of the best thrash songs ever.

7. Slayer - Show No Mercy. Not alot to say here. I chose it because it was a terrific cross over album between classic metal, and thrash metal. It was a great mixture of the two genres, with terrific song writing, and evil undertones with loose messy playing that still managed to be seemingly correct.

6. Deceased's As the Weird Travel On is a great newer thrash album, complete with great art, great leadwork, and amazing songwriting abilities. One of my favorite releases of "Melancholy Thrash"

5. It was so awesome to see the guys from Exhumed put together a death thrash album such as Dekapitator's We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!. This release brought thrash to a whole new level of brutality. This albums strongest spot in my opinion was the drumming, oh my god it was awesome. Check out the track "Possessed By Damnation"

4. I picked Tourniquet's Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance purely because of the progressive approach that I feel most thrash bands have been unable to capture. This album is technically brilliant, yet still abbrasive. Very good album, even for Christian music. Yuck.

2-3. Destruction's Eternal Devastation and Cracked Brain were my picks because of the great dark and evil influences of the band, without being black or death metal. Just the feeling of metal anarchy, the ruthlessness, the image, the influences. This is thrash. They had such a great production that fit the music. I must say, Cracked Brain is a very overlooked album in my opinion. If you passed on it in the past, I suggest giving it another listen.

1. My number one thrash album, I chose Gammacide's Victim of Science. Such a great, underground gem. It's just loose, fast paced, unrelenting thrash, with a great lyrical base. Fantastic guitarwork, and great vocals in my opinion. Anyone who claims to be a fan of thrash needs to familarize themselves with this album.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm 
 

That's all nice and fine, but why would you not consider Sepultura or Metallica valid choices?
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
That's all nice and fine, but why would you not consider Sepultura or Metallica valid choices?


It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy, while there are other bands that are doing what the run of the mill bands do, only better, more pure, and true to the genre. Bands that kept their sound without whoring out or changing their style/image are not only better than bands like Metallica or Sepultura due to their loyalty to true thrash, but because in most cases, they surpass those bands in atleast one way, be it musicianship, or feeling.

Every album on my top ten list is better than anything Sepultura or Metallica ever did, in my opinion. While Metallica was going platinum, bands like Tourniquet were more technical, and Gammacide were more thrash, and Destruction were more rebelous, but got no real credit in the eyes of the mediocre metal fan.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
That's all nice and fine, but why would you not consider Sepultura or Metallica valid choices?


It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy, while there are other bands that are doing what the run of the mill bands do, only better, more pure, and true to the genre. Bands that kept their sound without whoring out or changing their style/image are not only better than bands like Metallica or Sepultura due to their loyalty to true thrash, but because in most cases, they surpass those bands in atleast one way, be it musicianship, or feeling.

Every album on my top ten list is better than anything Sepultura or Metallica ever did, in my opinion. While Metallica was going platinum, bands like Tourniquet were more technical, and Gammacide were more thrash, and Destruction were more rebelous, but got no real credit in the eyes of the mediocre metal fan.


I can kind of see where you're coming from, but Sepultura's 80s output poppy? Mainstream? Not by a long shot. Even Metallica's 80s stuff can't really be considered either in the strictest sense, sure they had some accessible stuff, but a lot of thrash bands do. But it was not poppy or accessible for the time.

Also when push comes to shove, it should be about songs not commercial appeal or lack thereof. But writing a band off for being big is really silly, even if that band did put out a 'Roots' or a 'St. Anger'. It's about as stupid as me saying Destruction sucks because they aren't a commercial success.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:58 pm 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
grindon wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
That's all nice and fine, but why would you not consider Sepultura or Metallica valid choices?


It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy, while there are other bands that are doing what the run of the mill bands do, only better, more pure, and true to the genre. Bands that kept their sound without whoring out or changing their style/image are not only better than bands like Metallica or Sepultura due to their loyalty to true thrash, but because in most cases, they surpass those bands in atleast one way, be it musicianship, or feeling.

Every album on my top ten list is better than anything Sepultura or Metallica ever did, in my opinion. While Metallica was going platinum, bands like Tourniquet were more technical, and Gammacide were more thrash, and Destruction were more rebelous, but got no real credit in the eyes of the mediocre metal fan.


I can kind of see where you're coming from, but Sepultura's 80s output poppy? Mainstream? Not by a long shot. Even Metallica's 80s stuff can't really be considered either in the strictest sense, sure they had some accessible stuff, but a lot of thrash bands do. But it was not poppy or accessible for the time.

Also when push comes to shove, it should be about songs not commercial appeal or lack thereof. But writing a band off for being big is really silly, even if that band did put out a 'Roots' or a 'St. Anger'. It's about as stupid as me saying Destruction sucks because they aren't a commercial success.


Sepulture's early stuff may be good, and not as poppy, but there were other albums out their at the time that were breaking different kinds of boundaries, not heading in the direction of terd.

Just in 1986, the year of Sepultura's first album release, you had Kreator's Pleasure to Kill, Destruction's Eternal Devastation, Slayer's Reign in Blood.. That's all I can think of at the moment, I am sure there are more.. All three of those albums are better than Sepultura's first in my opinion (granted, Reign in Blood went platinum). Which just goes to show that when a band goes mainstream, does not mean I hate them.

Top
 Profile  
Avaddons_blood
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2677
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:14 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.


I don't think any of them belong in the top thrash albums ever. Any one with Sepultura or Metallica in their list is missing the point utterly, in my opinion.


I think your list is pretty shitty, but I didn't make that comment because I didn't want to be a douche. Now that you have gone ahead and made that kind of comment yourself I will too. You have Destruction 3 times, I smell a fanboy. I don't see how you managed to pick 2 slayer albums and manage to miss the best one. Your list has Dekapitator, a band that doesn't belong anywhere near a best of genre discussion. You say They bring thrash to a whole new level of brutality. Get real, they don't do anything of the sort.

Top
 Profile  
grindon
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm
Posts: 57
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:35 pm 
 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.


I don't think any of them belong in the top thrash albums ever. Any one with Sepultura or Metallica in their list is missing the point utterly, in my opinion.


I think your list is pretty shitty, but I didn't make that comment because I didn't want to be a douche. Now that you have gone ahead and made that kind of comment yourself I will too. You have Destruction 3 times, I smell a fanboy. I don't see how you managed to pick 2 slayer albums and manage to miss the best one. Your list has Dekapitator, a band that doesn't belong anywhere near a best of genre discussion. You say They bring thrash to a whole new level of brutality. Get real, they don't do anything of the sort.


And Metallica is just..WOW..The best band ever. :roll:

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 pm 
 

Sepultura and Metallica are only "not valid choices" for elitist snobs who think if a band is considered mainstream (in metal anyways) and popular, then they cant be considered as the best. To my mind at least, all of Metallica's first four albums, plus Sepultura's Beneath The Remains, Arise, and probably Schizoprhenia as well, are all top quality thrash albums. And just because they became "popular", does not devalue those albums in any way, or at least it shouldnt.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Well, Sodom don't need so much Slayer to their sound and that is a flaw with Code Red, however, M-16 has a lot of more Slayer than most Sodom to it and has better songs so it's not the alone influence that is a problem, just the execution. In the Sign of Evil is one of my favourites I can't listen to it without grinning the whole way through.

As for the most underrated Sodom album, Tapping the Vein is actually getting more and more praise, which is fair enough, it's a great album. It's a very heavy album so it's a favourite with some people. However for me it's got to be Better Off Dead. It's less heavier and there's a really strong rock 'n' roll influence in there, but that's right up my street.


I dont see it as really a "flaw". That in itself doesnt make it a bad album. True, it doesnt have the charm of say Persectution Mania, or Better Off Dead, but its still a great album in its own right. I personally find M-16 a bit more patchy, but it's a bit more "Sodomish" than Code Red, and the best songs on M-16 are better than anything off Code Red. I Am The War and Napalm In The Morning especially. :grin:

Better Off Dead is an amazing album, and definitely a strong contender for their best album. It is like a blend of thrash, with a more Motorhead-like sound. It sounds awesome, and there's really not a weak track on there. Of course, the fact it also has The Saw Is The Law on it just seals it for me!

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:49 pm 
 

''


Last edited by AngelicStorm on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
neonchipmunk
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:50 pm 
 

The reason why Metallica are so popular and on so many of these lists is that they ARE one of the best metal bands in the world (old stuff anyway).

Top
 Profile  
206
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:00 pm
Posts: 966
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:57 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy


So easy to say that after the fact innit?

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
 

206 wrote:
grindon wrote:
It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy


So easy to say that after the fact innit?


Exactly, if you would have picked Metallica albums before they got massive, but then dont view them as valid choices PURELY because of that fact, then you're an idiot. :roll:

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:08 pm 
 

AngelicStorm wrote:
I dont see it as really a "flaw". That in itself doesnt make it a bad album. True, it doesnt have the charm of say Persectution Mania, or Better Off Dead, but its still a great album in its own right. I personally find M-16 a bit more patchy, but it's a bit more "Sodomish" than Code Red, and the best songs on M-16 are better than anything off Code Red. I Am The War and Napalm In The Morning especially. :grin:

Better Off Dead is an amazing album, and definitely a strong contender for their best album. It is like a blend of thrash, with a more Motorhead-like sound. It sounds awesome, and there's really not a weak track on there. Of course, the fact it also has The Saw Is The Law on it just seals it for me!


It's not a horrid album, however, the song writing is generally not memorable barring the Vice of Killing and the title track, it dissappointed me massively as it was the first post-80s Sodom album I heard. I actually prefer its predecessor Till Death Do Us Unite (shit album title!), I think stuff like Frozen Screams, Fuck the Police and Hey, Hey Rock 'n' Roll Star are great, it's not amazingly consistent but some killer moments.

Have you heard the Saw is the Law EP? The splatting version is the best version of that song and the Bryan Adams cover is a whole lot of fun. I wish that line up had done more.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6443
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:52 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
grindon wrote:

My top 10 thrash albums of all time:

10. Slayer - Reign in Blood
9. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
8. Destruction - The Antichrist
7. Slayer - Show No Mercy
6. Deceased - As The Weird Travel On
5. Dekapitator - We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!
4. Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
3. Destruction - Eternal Devastation
2. Destruction - Cracked Brain
1. Gammacide - Victims of Science


10. Slayer's Reign in Blood was one of the best commercial thrash albums ever, really unleashing underground metal to the real world. Aside from the stellar guitar work and Lombardo's fantastic drumming, the best aspect of this album in my opinion is the lyrics.

9. Kreator's Pleasure to Kill brought forth some of the darkest heaviest thrash that not only Germany, but the world had really witnessed at the time.

8. I chose Destruction's The Antichrist as eight because they have put out several great albums, but this album was a bench mark for them in my opinion. For a band that had been around since the 80s, this album really stapled their consistancy up until that point. Sadly after this one, their albums grew weaker and weaker. But, Nailed to the Cross is one of the best thrash songs ever.

7. Slayer - Show No Mercy. Not alot to say here. I chose it because it was a terrific cross over album between classic metal, and thrash metal. It was a great mixture of the two genres, with terrific song writing, and evil undertones with loose messy playing that still managed to be seemingly correct.

6. Deceased's As the Weird Travel On is a great newer thrash album, complete with great art, great leadwork, and amazing songwriting abilities. One of my favorite releases of "Melancholy Thrash"

5. It was so awesome to see the guys from Exhumed put together a death thrash album such as Dekapitator's We Will Destroy.. You Will Obey!!. This release brought thrash to a whole new level of brutality. This albums strongest spot in my opinion was the drumming, oh my god it was awesome. Check out the track "Possessed By Damnation"

4. I picked Tourniquet's Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance purely because of the progressive approach that I feel most thrash bands have been unable to capture. This album is technically brilliant, yet still abbrasive. Very good album, even for Christian music. Yuck.

2-3. Destruction's Eternal Devastation and Cracked Brain were my picks because of the great dark and evil influences of the band, without being black or death metal. Just the feeling of metal anarchy, the ruthlessness, the image, the influences. This is thrash. They had such a great production that fit the music. I must say, Cracked Brain is a very overlooked album in my opinion. If you passed on it in the past, I suggest giving it another listen.

1. My number one thrash album, I chose Gammacide's Victim of Science. Such a great, underground gem. It's just loose, fast paced, unrelenting thrash, with a great lyrical base. Fantastic guitarwork, and great vocals in my opinion. Anyone who claims to be a fan of thrash needs to familarize themselves with this album.


So you're list alternates between modern thrash, popular 80s thrash and some obscure bullshit, and you're going to give Metallica and Sepultura a hard time?

Metallica's Rise The Lightening and Sepultura's Morbid Visions are two of the greatest thrash metal albums ever recorded. Almost everybody can agree on this. Go home, elitist.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
Shitloads of bands continue to gloriously invoke the majestic throne of Satan every single day.

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6443
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
AngelicStorm wrote:
I dont see it as really a "flaw". That in itself doesnt make it a bad album. True, it doesnt have the charm of say Persectution Mania, or Better Off Dead, but its still a great album in its own right. I personally find M-16 a bit more patchy, but it's a bit more "Sodomish" than Code Red, and the best songs on M-16 are better than anything off Code Red. I Am The War and Napalm In The Morning especially. :grin:

Better Off Dead is an amazing album, and definitely a strong contender for their best album. It is like a blend of thrash, with a more Motorhead-like sound. It sounds awesome, and there's really not a weak track on there. Of course, the fact it also has The Saw Is The Law on it just seals it for me!


It's not a horrid album, however, the song writing is generally not memorable barring the Vice of Killing and the title track, it dissappointed me massively as it was the first post-80s Sodom album I heard. I actually prefer its predecessor Till Death Do Us Unite (shit album title!), I think stuff like Frozen Screams, Fuck the Police and Hey, Hey Rock 'n' Roll Star are great, it's not amazingly consistent but some killer moments.

Have you heard the Saw is the Law EP? The splatting version is the best version of that song and the Bryan Adams cover is a whole lot of fun. I wish that line up had done more.


I can't really agree with you on Code Red. The thing that makes it so strong is the fact that it's so fucking fast, and well, this may also be a downside, but the music is very similar except for a couple of tracks. I really enjoyed it.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
Shitloads of bands continue to gloriously invoke the majestic throne of Satan every single day.

Top
 Profile  
Avaddons_blood
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2677
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:41 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
grindon wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura


Additionally, I would have had "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death on my list, because I think it's WAY thrashy, but I didn't want to get flamed...


After that poopfest of a mainstream god awful thrash list you put out, you were afraid of getting flamed for putting SBG on there, the one dcent album you mention? :roll:


Actually, all the albums he listed where good. Not a huge fan of killing is my business, but it's an okay album.


I don't think any of them belong in the top thrash albums ever. Any one with Sepultura or Metallica in their list is missing the point utterly, in my opinion.


I think your list is pretty shitty, but I didn't make that comment because I didn't want to be a douche. Now that you have gone ahead and made that kind of comment yourself I will too. You have Destruction 3 times, I smell a fanboy. I don't see how you managed to pick 2 slayer albums and manage to miss the best one. Your list has Dekapitator, a band that doesn't belong anywhere near a best of genre discussion. You say They bring thrash to a whole new level of brutality. Get real, they don't do anything of the sort.


And Metallica is just..WOW..The best band ever. :roll:


Lordy me, I never heard thrash outside of the mainstream!

Top
 Profile  
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am
Posts: 4242
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:31 pm 
 

grindon wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
grindon wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
That's all nice and fine, but why would you not consider Sepultura or Metallica valid choices?


It just seems trivial and wasteful to choose mainstream bands that got lucky or are more poppy, while there are other bands that are doing what the run of the mill bands do, only better, more pure, and true to the genre. Bands that kept their sound without whoring out or changing their style/image are not only better than bands like Metallica or Sepultura due to their loyalty to true thrash, but because in most cases, they surpass those bands in atleast one way, be it musicianship, or feeling.

Every album on my top ten list is better than anything Sepultura or Metallica ever did, in my opinion. While Metallica was going platinum, bands like Tourniquet were more technical, and Gammacide were more thrash, and Destruction were more rebelous, but got no real credit in the eyes of the mediocre metal fan.


I can kind of see where you're coming from, but Sepultura's 80s output poppy? Mainstream? Not by a long shot. Even Metallica's 80s stuff can't really be considered either in the strictest sense, sure they had some accessible stuff, but a lot of thrash bands do. But it was not poppy or accessible for the time.

Also when push comes to shove, it should be about songs not commercial appeal or lack thereof. But writing a band off for being big is really silly, even if that band did put out a 'Roots' or a 'St. Anger'. It's about as stupid as me saying Destruction sucks because they aren't a commercial success.


Sepulture's early stuff may be good, and not as poppy, but there were other albums out their at the time that were breaking different kinds of boundaries, not heading in the direction of terd.

Just in 1986, the year of Sepultura's first album release, you had Kreator's Pleasure to Kill, Destruction's Eternal Devastation, Slayer's Reign in Blood.. That's all I can think of at the moment, I am sure there are more.. All three of those albums are better than Sepultura's first in my opinion (granted, Reign in Blood went platinum). Which just goes to show that when a band goes mainstream, does not mean I hate them.


What about the Bestial Devastation ep? Possibly the heaviest thing on the planet in 1985.

Top
 Profile  
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 am 
 

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but did anyone include

Overkill - Feel the Fire

or

Atrophy - Violent by Nature

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6443
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:05 am 
 

Socialized Hate > Violent By Nature
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
Shitloads of bands continue to gloriously invoke the majestic throne of Satan every single day.

Top
 Profile  
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:09 am 
 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Socialized Hate > Violent By Nature


They're both good; I don't know which one's better.

On second thought, I still think Violent By Nature is better. It sounds harsher and more violent than its predecessor.

Top
 Profile  
AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 am
Posts: 603
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:40 am 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

It's not a horrid album, however, the song writing is generally not memorable barring the Vice of Killing and the title track, it dissappointed me massively as it was the first post-80s Sodom album I heard. I actually prefer its predecessor Till Death Do Us Unite (shit album title!), I think stuff like Frozen Screams, Fuck the Police and Hey, Hey Rock 'n' Roll Star are great, it's not amazingly consistent but some killer moments.

Have you heard the Saw is the Law EP? The splatting version is the best version of that song and the Bryan Adams cover is a whole lot of fun. I wish that line up had done more.


I think overall, Code Red is very consistent. I think a few of the tracks are very good, and memorable. "Spiritual Demise", "Tombstone", and "Book Burning" (Which is probably the most "Slayerish" song on the album, but also awesome) in particular. Its a very strong album imo, with no real weak tracks. Definitely a classic thrash album in my mind.

Ive never heard "Till Death Do Us Unite", so i cant really comment on it. Ive not heard that EP either sadly :( What is the "Splatting version"? Id like to hear that. A Bryan Adams cover? :shock: That should be interesting if nothing else! :lol:

FasterDisaster wrote:
I can't really agree with you on Code Red. The thing that makes it so strong is the fact that it's so fucking fast, and well, this may also be a downside, but the music is very similar except for a couple of tracks. I really enjoyed it.


Its not all fast by any means. "Tombstone", "Cowardice" in particular are slower songs. I think its a great album!

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 6707
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 am 
 

The Splatting Version is a different version of The Saw is the Law, it's a little slower, has chainsaw sounds and the guitar solo is different. It's fucking fantastic. The Bryan Adams cover is The Kids Wanna Rock, which is also a great fun listen... quite strange though. You should certainly check them out. As for Code Red, I gave it a fair few chances but I just can't get much out of it.
_________________
'Heavy metal top of the class, stuff the media up your arse!' - Den Dennis.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Top
 Profile  
juhotz
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm 
 

my chose is slayer reign in blod that is so legend and fucking amazing i saw slayer in summer at the tuska and that was amzing and 2 is stone:Stoneage 2.0 finnish trash metal \,,/

Top
 Profile  
serpent_moves
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 am
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:59 am 
 

for me it would be

1. Coroner - Grin

this is simply the best thing i ever heard in my life. Extremely original, catchy, with a very dark atmosphere, technical and minimalistic at the same time. Imo no other band comes even close to the musical genius of coroner. And if you don't consider Grin to be thrash you can just put Mental Vortex or No More Color instead, those are masterpieces as well
oh yeah and Tommy T Baron is the most underrated metal guitarist ever, both in solos and rythm

2. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

simply the perfect thrash: fast, brutal, catchy, quite tight and well produced, with those specific Sepultura vibes and leads that make the songs so memorable

3. Slayer - Reign in Blood

the perfect brutal thrash with this specific satanic and chaotic atmosphere, extremely intense but also short so it never gets boring

4. Devastation - Idolatry

very memorable, very original riffs, good production and overall very tight playing, sometimes borderline death metal

5. Toxik - Think this

this is also tech thrash but completely different than coroner, much more happy sounding and with high pitched vocals but the riffs are just flowing perfectly and the solos just melt your face off

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarryLamarBonds, chaossphere, Google [Bot], InnesI, Oxenkiller, Rykov and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group