Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:07 am 

I know a similar thread has been done before about half a year ago, but I don't want to resort to necromancy. In particular, I am trying to find native African bands from sub-Saharan Africa (South Africa not included). So far I only know of: Crackdust (Botswana), Wrust (Botswana), Sleep in Hate (Mozambique), Darkest Place (Mozambique). About a year ago I came across this site while searching (http://africaheavymetal.canalblog.com/a ... index.html), but I can't find any more information on the internet on almost any of these bands. Can anyone help me out? Any genre would be cool (though an Afrikan folk metal band would be the coolest haha).

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:43 am 

I know many bands from Latin America and Asia, but not too many from Africa. You named most of the bands that I know.

You could try going to the "country" on M-A and randomly sample bands....

And a warning to you- there is a fake band on M-A that supposedly comes from Africa, but it is a side project of some band called Velvet Cacoon. The picture for this band looks similar to Iommi of Sabbath.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:56 am 

There is a good sampler CD called "The Death Of Africa...?" down by Morbid Records around 13-14 years ago. It featured only South African bands, including V.o.D. (best "African" band there) and Abhorrence. Extremely interesting sampler.

Don't know any Central African band though.

Shaxul/Legion Of Death Records who sometimes posts in this forum should give you some killer hints. Maybe sent him a PM.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:18 pm 

norilor wrote:
I know many bands from Latin America and Asia, but not too many from Africa. You named most of the bands that I know.

You could try going to the "country" on M-A and randomly sample bands....

And a warning to you- there is a fake band on M-A that supposedly comes from Africa, but it is a side project of some band called Velvet Cacoon. The picture for this band looks similar to Iommi of Sabbath.

The thing is, with the country search, most of the countries I'm talking about aren't even listed (Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Congo, etc.). And that one African metal link I posted leaves me at a dead end, since I can't find further information on most of those bands. I know that many people in most of these countries don't have access to much modern technology, but I'm surprised that there are no bands from some of these countries, such as Nigeria or Ghana.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:20 pm 

peterott wrote:
There is a good sampler CD called "The Death Of Africa...?" down by Morbid Records around 13-14 years ago. It featured only South African bands, including V.o.D. (best "African" band there) and Abhorrence. Extremely interesting sampler.

Don't know any Central African band though.

Shaxul/Legion Of Death Records who sometimes posts in this forum should give you some killer hints. Maybe sent him a PM.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Hopefully that Shaxul dude will see this thread.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:40 pm 

Arcana XXII from Namibia are decent.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:52 pm 

Check out the new documentary Global Metal. It isn't really focused on African metal, but it's one the same subject.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:55 pm 

my kingdom if someone knows a metal band from jamaica

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:21 pm 

Life_Sucks wrote:
The thing is, with the country search, most of the countries I'm talking about aren't even listed (Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Congo, etc.). .

Don't you think that if anyone knew of any bands that weren't listed on the archives they would have added them by now to get points?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:25 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Arcana XXII from Namibia are decent.

They are indeed awesome, well "This Burning Darkness" is. I'm not too up to date on African geography, but wasn't Namibia close to, or part of, South Africa (at one point)? The band looks pretty non-black to me. :p

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 pm 

I heard Crackdust a while ago, and was mystified as to how guys from Botswana could have even heard death metal, let alone be playing it to a very passable standard.

And Namibia was formally known as South West Africa. It borders South Africa on the north west side. It was a German colony and was later controlled by South Africa for a time.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:48 am 

Ethiopian deathcore could be the most depressing thing ever to hit someone's ears. Think about it, starving little black kids scavenging for food while some fat douchebags play covers of Bring Me The Horizon in the village center.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:46 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Life_Sucks wrote:
The thing is, with the country search, most of the countries I'm talking about aren't even listed (Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Congo, etc.). .

Don't you think that if anyone knew of any bands that weren't listed on the archives they would have added them by now to get points?

Well, yeah. But you can only add bands that have formally released a physical album. For instance, that's why Sleep in Hate is not in the Archives.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:25 pm 

There's a lot of mistakes on that link (Oziris from Egypt play Black Metal, not Death Metal), and there are no tunisian bands, no Litham...

Anyway, I can only help with some arabic or north african bands.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:42 pm 

I know the middle east has a surprisingly huge Black Metal scene, but I know shit about any bands from Africa.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 pm 

Spacebar wrote:
Ethiopian Christian metalcore/deathcore could be the most depressing thing ever to hit someone's ears. Think about it, starving little black kids scavenging for food while some fat douchebags play covers of Bring Me The Horizon in the village center.

Fixed for accuracy. :D

By the way, is there any way to find that legendary True Tanzanian Black Metal one-man band Giza Uchawi?

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:06 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
By the way, is there any way to find that legendary True Tanzanian Black Metal one-man band Giza Uchawi?

Benjamin Mka reminds me Terence "Geezer" Butler in his younger days somehow.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

This was the band I was talking about. It is not real.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:45 pm 

iAm wrote:
I know the middle east has a surprisingly huge Black Metal scene
No they don't.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

The general consensus seems to be that Giza Uchawi doesn't really exist, and never really existed.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 am 

MapleKit wrote:
iAm wrote:
I know the middle east has a surprisingly huge Black Metal scene
No they don't.

There are more than plenty Black Metal bands from Israel and Saudi Arabia, and a handful from Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iran.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:29 am 

norilor wrote:
Fanfarigoule wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

This was the band I was talking about. It is not real.

Proof?

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:47 pm 

Neblina from Angola is worth checcking out!
They started out "grunge/hard rock" playing Led Zeppelin and Nirvana covers but with their first album "Innocence Falls In Decay", they have moved towards Progressive Metal. Obviously, their influences have matured since then.
The metal scene is mostly huge only in Southern and Eastern Africa-so I don't think you'll be getting any bands from Nigeria and Ghana any time soon.
Mostly it's Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya and Uganda.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
Neblina from Angola is worth checcking out!
They started out "grunge/hard rock" playing Led Zeppelin and Nirvana covers but with their first album "Innocence Falls In Decay", they have moved towards Progressive Metal. Obviously, their influences have matured since then.
The metal scene is mostly huge only in Southern and Eastern Africa-so I don't think you'll be getting any bands from Nigeria and Ghana any time soon.
Mostly it's Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya and Uganda.

That's kind of surprising. Nigeria is one of the most technologically advanced, most wealthy countries in Africa, so it's one of the first African countries I'd expect to see a band come from. I'm aware of bands from Namibia and Botswana, but not Kenya and Uganda. I'm really digging Wrust, Crackdust, and Sleep in Hate.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:26 pm 

Nigeria is also musically diverse but I've been there and there is absolutely no metal scene.
They are swarming with hip-hop/rap groups however that really sound bad. But mostly they love their own local beng-beng stuff.

Uganda and Kenya on the other hand have a healthy metal scene.
Although all the bands here haven't released anything yet-otherwise I would have submitted 'em.

There is a Kenyan band called SOME KIND OF PSYCHO that I watched covering Judas Priest's "Bloodstone" and Pantera's "Message In Blood" and they didn't do such a bad job of it.
I believe AFRICAN DEATH STORY is also Kenyan but not based there anymore. The might have released an EP back in the days or something like that.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:08 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
Nigeria is also musically diverse but I've been there and there is absolutely no metal scene.
They are swarming with hip-hop/rap groups however that really sound bad. But mostly they love their own local beng-beng stuff.

Uganda and Kenya on the other hand have a healthy metal scene.
Although all the bands here haven't released anything yet-otherwise I would have submitted 'em.

There is a Kenyan band called SOME KIND OF PSYCHO that I watched covering Judas Priest's "Bloodstone" and Pantera's "Message In Blood" and they didn't do such a bad job of it.
I believe AFRICAN DEATH STORY is also Kenyan but not based there anymore. The might have released an EP back in the days or something like that.

So there are a good amount of bands in your part of the world that never recorded anything? I would imagine that it is harder to get something recorded where you are than it is in America or Europe. But then there are bands like Neblina, Wrust, Crackdust, etc. that were lucky enough to have access to a decent studio to put out an album.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 pm 

Out of curiousity is there any African folk-metal?

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:21 pm 

Azar incorporates some folk elements in its black metal.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:23 pm 

Mark777 wrote:

This has gotten me to thinking, i think it would be cool to see some african music influenced metal, you know with the chanting and drumming and, well you get the picture, maybe that would be kind of cool.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:01 pm 

Mark777 wrote:

That would be cool. I recall reading something online about a metal band from Gambia that incorporates kora (a west African instrument traditionally played by griots) into its music. That was a while ago. When I tried to research it recently, I only came up with a couple references to Gambian bands, but they weren't even necessarily the band I was looking for.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 pm 

I should search for that sometime.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 pm 

African Death Story, a Kenyan band released an EP in 2006 called The Plot Sickens
I have heard only two tracks from there, one called "Warlords And Machine Guns" and the other "No Mercy".
It was avant-garde stuff with operatic vocals, call-and-response and weird instrumentation.
Haven't been able to trace them on the internet though.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 pm 

In Uganda, Vale Of Amonition is the only band I know of playing seriously.
But they do not fuse their sound with traditional instruments, it's more of a thrash/power metal thing.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:39 pm 

I can't seem to find anything on the internet about Vale of Amonition or African Death Story.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:22 pm 

I found a black metal band from Angola: http://www.myspace.com/impiousmight
I can't tell if it's serious or fake.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.