Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 am 
 

Goldgeo wrote:
First of all, Hello fellow metalheads. It;s my first post here at MA and it might (and will certainly) sound silly. Well. I'm the sort of metalhead that wants to dig deeper and deeper into a certain genre. unfortunately, that genre would be black metal. What would be the problem then? Well. I don't act/look/behave/talk/dress like a black metaller (like in i have short hair wear blue jeans and random t-shirt). Maybe it's all the black metal kvltist stuff that makes me want to focus on another genre, such as death metal. But, alas, death metal does't atract me as much as black metal does. So, what I'm trying to say is (and please don't make fun of me, I already took some crap) , should i worry about the image and lifestyle of a black metaller, or should i not give a fuck and go on and listen to black metal anyway? (P.S. : no I am not growing long hair and neither am I going to worship Satan/kill animals/dress in black/wear coprse paint) . Sorry again if this sounds stupid, but hey, what can you do :) Thank you in advance for wating your time with my problem. \m/


Well, you know, if you want to truly be a black metal guy then I'd say you should NOT ask for other people's opinions on things, rather, you should figure it out for yourself. If you like the message that's in the music (being your own God, looking out for yourself, being strong), then you shouldn't be going around asking other people to guide you on how you should live in your black metal lifestyle. That would be defeating the purpose of being a black metal guy.

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am 
 

@ OP

Go sleep in a coffin in the woods.

agentsteel666 wrote:
Well, you know, if you want to truly be a black metal guy then I'd say you should NOT ask for other people's opinions on things, rather, you should figure it out for yourself. If you like the message that's in the music (being your own God, looking out for yourself, being strong), then you shouldn't be going around asking other people to guide you on how you should live in your black metal lifestyle. That would be defeating the purpose of being a black metal guy.


What does living the "black metal lifestyle" and being a "black metal guy" entail?

Top
 Profile  
Goldgeo
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 am 
 

First of all, thanks for all the thumbs up. I really needed the boost in my self-confidence (which I sometimes loose). The "Go sleep in a coffin in the woods. " really cracked me up. As for living the "black metal lifestyle" I guess dressing in black, being pessimistic, grumpy etc. For me, that doesn't really matter anymore. Seeing you guys loving black metal and not giving a damn about the way you look to others really made me brighten up. I do wear band t-shits and others...so from that point of view, I am insured.

As for the one who said that black metal is made "by kids for kids". What did you mean by that? Because, as far as I'm concerned, you can listen to black metal even in your 30's 40's 50's etc (as an example my mom likes melodic/symphonic black metal). Maybe it's just me.

Thanks again for your answers. This forum rocks!

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1582
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am 
 

Alocer7138r wrote:
Ive noticed a lot of people who dress metal are posers.

And I've met a lot of those. I once talked to one guy who was dressed like Infernus and turns out his favorite band was My Chemical Romance. I often wear bands t-shirts (that's the only "metal" thing I do with my clothes) and if some black metal freak tries to insult because of it, I do a black metal shriek on their face. In the end, clothes are just fabrics you put over your body so your balls don't get cold. They mean nothing else.

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
 

Goldgeo wrote:
As for living the "black metal lifestyle" I guess dressing in black, being pessimistic, grumpy etc.


Sounds like me on Monday mornings. Heh. I don't think there's any particular "black metal lifestyle" at all really. The only real thing I can think of when it comes to living a "black metal lifestyle" is like, well, ...sleeping in a coffin in the woods. That, and stalking through the forest in a black robe looking like a vampire or something. I suppose there are some ideals and philosophies in black metal one could go by, but then it's hard to pin the ideology of all black metal music into one thing. Black metal could mean different things for all of us.

Quote:
Seeing you guys loving black metal and not giving a damn about the way you look to others really made me brighten up. I do wear band t-shits and others...so from that point of view, I am insured.


I agree, wear what you feel comfortable wearing. Some people are going to somehow find ways to criticize how you dress or how you act, so just screw their opinion and please yourself.

Top
 Profile  
Goldgeo
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:01 pm 
 

Another problem I seem to have is with NSBM. I can't even listen to a track because I am totally against racism and such extremist stuff (hate against another race/sex/etc - hate gay people though!). So, would somebody explain this NSBM phenomenon to me, as it seems to me that there are a shitload of bands with this tag? Thanks again :)

Top
 Profile  
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 10216
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 pm 
 

Goldgeo wrote:
Another problem I seem to have is with NSBM. I can't even listen to a track because I am totally against racism and such extremist stuff (hate against another race/sex/etc - hate gay people though!). So, would somebody explain this NSBM phenomenon to me, as it seems to me that there are a shitload of bands with this tag? Thanks again :)


If it makes you feel too uncomfortable, you ought not to listen to it. Thankfully metal still has the capacity to cross the boundaries into areas some people would rather leave alone. No doubt in your explorations you'll come across many artists whose ideology will be very different from yours, but you ought to be able to take that ... on the other hand,, there are only a handful of excellent bands out there that I can think of which are blatantly racist (as in, making this stance an integral part of their art), and you can probably ignore those and still immerse yourself in loads of interesting black metal.
_________________
Hush! and hark
To the sorrowful cry
Of the wind in the dark.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Top
 Profile  
Goldgeo
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm 
 

I have nothing against being a nationalist/socialist. It just sucks to be a racist. People should know the difference between politics, music and being an utter asshole. Just my two cents....most probably I will stay away fron NSBM but I am sure I'm missing some good music, just because some bands can't get a life...

Top
 Profile  
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 am
Posts: 574
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:08 pm 
 

Goldgeo wrote:
I have nothing against being a nationalist/socialist. It just sucks to be a racist. People should know the difference between politics, music and being an utter asshole. Just my two cents....most probably I will stay away fron NSBM but I am sure I'm missing some good music, just because some bands can't get a life...


They can get a life. Most likely they have a life and has had a life for quite some time. Their perspective on life is just radically different from yours. The main reason that people distinguish racism as something bad while still praising Mgla, Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist or even the likes of Marduk is that in the minds of most people that do this, Hitler was real while Satan isn't. Advocating real "evil" isn't okay, while advocating made up evil is.

A christian would think that any run of the mill black metal band "can't get a life" for the exact same reason you say that about nsbm. It is likewise with black metalheads opinions about christians.

I myself listen to quite a bit of nsbm, but I also must say that the really (IMO) retarded nsbm bands tend to put me off a little. Nokturnal Mortum doesn't put me off in the slightest, while Gestapo SS does so purely by their retarded image. As such, I must say I'm slightly guilty of this strin of thought myself, but in general I try to give most bands a chance.

The exception to that for me would be unblack metal though. Christian ideals and lyrics in most types of metal I can live with, but in black or death metal it just feels wrong somehow. So, I guess I'm quilty on two points. ;)
_________________
Nazhand wrote:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Top
 Profile  
LVB
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 144
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 pm 
 

This is a funny thread. Should you worry about how you dress? Yikes. Short answer: no.

If I tried to dress the part of the music I listened to, I'd have a mohawk for punk/hardcore, eyeliner for early glam such as Roxy Music, a leather jacket for judas priest, corpse paint for black metal, a death metal shirt for death metal, and what do I even fucking wear for ambient music, classical, or anything else that I might be interested in? Off to the mall with daddy's credit card!

Top
 Profile  
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Posts: 3862
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 pm 
 

Goldgeo wrote:
I have nothing against being a nationalist/socialist. It just sucks to be a racist. People should know the difference between politics, music and being an utter asshole. Just my two cents....most probably I will stay away fron NSBM but I am sure I'm missing some good music, just because some bands can't get a life...


You'll find that most NSBM bands are actually juste proud of their nation/race without actively hating others (racism), although there are some who take it to the extreme in order to attract attention/be cool/be kvlt so they can make up for their fact that their music is rather generic. Most so-called national-socialists are actually people who don't hate others for who they are but who only fight for their own people/race, although a few extremist idiots act like douches and get the rest labeled as racist haters.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Kveldulfr, UtUmNo1 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group