Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vrede
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Posts: 752
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm 
 

I know the topic title sounds weird but I couldn't think of any other term to describe it.

Basically, I recognized a undefinable guitar noise which sounds like an "error beep" or something showing up in some songs . Two examples are given below.

Burzum - Ea, Lord Of The Depths (at 0:07 - 0:10)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNbgtHLnO0

Metallica - To Live Is To Die (Solo at 3:17 - 3:20)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WdYt9VkVek

My question: What causes that noise and how can I do it too? :D

Thanks in advance!
_________________
rexxz wrote:
Crick wrote:
Except, y'know, people don't just go around jerking off and rubbing random erogenous zones of their bodies in public.

Speak for yourself.

Top
 Profile  
feratu
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:43 pm
Posts: 129
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm 
 

2 different things, I think the Burzum segment is just feedback from his guitar being turned up loud. It's easy to get feedback, but it would be hard to replicate that exact sound you're hearing because its hard to control.

The Metallica bit is definitely easily replicable, but you need a guitar with separate volume controls for each pickup (like a les paul). Kirk plays a fretted note and a bent note at the same time which makes for a dissonant sound, and then flicks his pickup switch back and forth between a pickup that is on and one that is off.

Top
 Profile  
Manic616
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:01 pm
Posts: 692
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm 
 

I think thats caused when the jack from the cable doesnt quite connect probally to the connector in the guitar, if it is able to move around it ususally creates a static/feedback kind of sound like that.

Edit: Thats for the Burzum one anyway.


Last edited by Manic616 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 215
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:14 pm 
 

feratu wrote:
2 different things, I think the Burzum segment is just feedback from his guitar being turned up loud. It's easy to get feedback, but it would be hard to replicate that exact sound you're hearing because its hard to control.

The Metallica bit is definitely easily replicable, but you need a guitar with separate volume controls for each pickup (like a les paul). Kirk plays a fretted note and a bent note at the same time which makes for a dissonant sound, and then flicks his pickup switch back and forth between a pickup that is on and one that is off.


This is correct.

Just play a note, and switch between pickups with one of the pickups turned off.
_________________
lord_ghengis talking of Australian children's literature wrote:
Hell, we have children's books about multiple stabbings written by violent criminals called "Hooky The Cripple". None of this Waldo crap.

Top
 Profile  
Vrede
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Posts: 752
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:25 pm 
 

Alright, thanks a lot guys. :)
_________________
rexxz wrote:
Crick wrote:
Except, y'know, people don't just go around jerking off and rubbing random erogenous zones of their bodies in public.

Speak for yourself.

Top
 Profile  
Xtremo
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:08 am
Posts: 140
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 pm 
 

Forrizzledog wrote:
feratu wrote:
2 different things, I think the Burzum segment is just feedback from his guitar being turned up loud. It's easy to get feedback, but it would be hard to replicate that exact sound you're hearing because its hard to control.

The Metallica bit is definitely easily replicable, but you need a guitar with separate volume controls for each pickup (like a les paul). Kirk plays a fretted note and a bent note at the same time which makes for a dissonant sound, and then flicks his pickup switch back and forth between a pickup that is on and one that is off.


This is correct.

Just play a note, and switch between pickups with one of the pickups turned off.


Yep. Doesn't Van Halen use this type of technique alot?
_________________
Ravenlord266 wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:
Well anyway, I had four penises and started having sex with two grils,


were they hot?

Top
 Profile  
FireNinja
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 16
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm 
 

listen to ea lord of the depths again after you posted that! awesome song! =D

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group