Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:58 am 

The thread I made about liking killing, and being killed...I would simply like atleast one reason why it was locked. I don't see how it would stir up any dissention or cause any problems.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 pm 

Because it was a stupid question. Of course we're not going to like being killed.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:06 pm 

You posted a whining thread in the wrong section.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:18 pm 

To answer your question from the locked thread somewhat seriously, "killing" lyrics in Metal have to be taken into their intended context. Are we talking about descriptions of torture, brutality that are very real in this world, or are we talking about some joke, gross out band that writes stuff such as that only to shock? I don't think that most people imagine what it's like to torture people, and pop boners, while listening to Death Metal. If they do, that's fine with me too.

But your topic was beyond stupid.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:20 pm 

As a long time death metal fan I can honestly say I have never thought of slaughtering people nor do i wanna be slaughtered. It's music, nothing more nothing less, and fans with that sick mentality make me ashamed sometimes.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:23 pm 

I think about killing from time to time. I feel that it's only natural to want to smite your enemies. But society, crime and punishment, and years of conditioning generally keep it in check. I feel that everyone is capable of killing people, as we are civilized feral beasts. I feel that this is part of the idea of Death Metal to begin with.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 pm 

Death metal + normal folks = ok. Death metal + people who already have sick thoughts and mental problems = a bad idea. To me death metal isn't about gore and killing at all. I don't listen to silly gore bands, I prefer the bands who avoid those tired subjects.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:31 pm 

I agree, and I include such bands as "joke" bands. My favorite DM bands are more "Majestic" sounding than anything, as well as cold and nihilistic. I really hate stuff such as Cannibal Corpse.

I should note that my repressed urge to kill has nothing, or little to do with my taste in art. The artistic appeal of extreme metal is the emergence of beauty in darkness. I find "Pure Holocaust" to be beautiful music, rather than something to scare the neighbors.

I feel that humanity at large is capable of killing if given the right circumstances. I don't feel that defending your own life qualifies as a "sick thought."

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:51 pm 

please, stop thinking at the metalheads as brutal people who want to slaughter other people. If someone does this he's simply sick and not metal at all.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.