Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 am 

Forgive me if there's an existing thread about this. I did try to search, but do you have any idea how many threads contain the word 'Megadeth' on these forums? Anyway, go forth and read about it:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=106587

Then discuss it.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:16 am 

Go away.

DiOVengeance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 am 

United Abominations was a pretty sick album, with songs like Sleepwalker, Gears of War, and Washington is Next being my favorite songs off the album. Other than Risk Ive pretty much liked all of Megadeth's music.

Yeah, and I love Metallica at the same time, boo fuckin hoo.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Go away.

Thank you for your constructive contribution.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:42 am 

I loved United Abominations. I though that was their best album in a while. Id love to hear more original sounding stuff along the lines of Sweeting Bullets or Darkest Hour on this new album.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:03 am 

I'm stoked for the new album. I remember last year when United Abominations came out, I used to listen to it non stop. I still give it a listen every once in a while. It'll be hard for 'Deth to put out another solid album after an album like UA, but I'm sure Dave and the gang will deliver.

Besides, with Chris Boderick in the band now, nothing can go wrong :D

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:02 am 

the other day bought Killing is My Business for 5 bux. good day. Next to it was a used copy of Death Magnetic for $11, what the f...

Last edited by bassethornmusic on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:08 am 

Megadeth play average heavy metal now. Not worth my time. There were like 2 decent songs on the last album and the rest were pretty dire.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 am 

I thought "The System Has Failed" was a good album, but I've never really given "United Abominations" a fair listen. Too busy listening to other albums at the time, and then just forgot about it. I'll have to give it a good spin.

As for a new album. We'll see when it gets here.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:50 am 

"MEGADETH's top hits, including... "Insomnia"..."

Haaahahahahahahaha :D

On topic, I don't have any hopes for this album, after reading how United Abominatios was the next Rust in Peace and blah blah blah...
Megadeth should do what Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer (?), etc etc should do: stop releasing new stuff and just tour the old favourites.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am 

Iron Maiden and Slayer do bring out the old faves, don't they?
I mean, is there a Maiden live album that doesn't start with Churchill's speech and end with Hallowed Be Thy Name.
And do Slayer ever play a show without Raining Blood or South Of Heaven.

But Megadeth is still evolving.
Every album sounds unique and transitory, probably because it usually is with a whole new lineup.
Kinda like Deep Purple.........I mean, "In Rock" and "Stormbringer" sound nothing alike.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 am 

I agree that Megadeth often sound more like they're building up to something that actually doing that something. Hate to be pedantic, but there isn't actually any Iron Maiden album that starts with Churchill's speech and ends with Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Anyway, I'd rather have a world with these newer albums from classic bands than without them. At least then you can choose to listen to them or not, and while UA didn't do much for me, I liked Washington is Next.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 am 

FateMetal wrote:
But Megadeth is still evolving.
Every album sounds unique and transitory, probably because it usually is with a whole new lineup.

The difference between this and Deep Purple is that Deep Purple hadn't been around for 20 years before they started "evolving." Megadeth is pretty good/decent right now, but it really is funny how much they change lineups and sounds these days.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:44 am 

Judas Priest, Megadeth, Testament... damn I wish I was there =(

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:49 am 

I'm realy looking forward to hear it, I liked UA. Simple but a very catchy album.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 am 

I thought UA was a solid album, so this shouldn't be bad at all.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:06 am 

FateMetal wrote:
Iron Maiden and Slayer do bring out the old faves, don't they?
I mean, is there a Maiden live album that doesn't start with Churchill's speech and end with Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Rock in Rio starts off with "Arthur´s Farewell".

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am 

UA wasn't horrific (except the re-do of "A tout le monde"), and "Sleepwalker" was a damn fine song.

Considering fan response and such, Dave knows Sleepwalker was the biggest hit off the album. Or at least he should. So hopefully, this will make the new album sound a bit more consistent overall.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:39 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Go away.

You should probably take your own advice and stop posting.

Anyway, Megadeth's newest album I have a feeling, will kick major ass. United Abominations was a big step in the right direction.. Sleepwalker, Burnt Ice, Gears of War etc were all good songs and definitely harkening back to the thrashier days, of course we'll never have another Rust in Peace or Peace Sells.. but it's still decent heavy/thrash metal at this point. Plus the addition of Chris Broderick will only help their chances, what a fantastic guitarist.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:07 pm 

To be honest, I personally like UA as a fine, catchy heavy metal album more than the other oh so bad/or at times decent thrash releases such as Enemy of god, Christ illusion, Death magnetic, ect.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:21 pm 

Loved United Abominations, so really looking forward to this. Interested to see how Chris B's style fits in with Megadeth too, with the exception of the simplicity of Gears of War, I wasn't a huge fan of Glen Drover's solos.

Seeing Megadeth next Feb with Priest and Testament, woop!

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:42 pm 

I'd be really surprised if this next album ended up better than United Abominations. UA seemed like one those albums that signified the last hurrah of an aging band, and now everything else from 'Deth will be painfully mediocre.

screamingstatue wrote:
I wasn't a huge fan of Glen Drover's solos.

Pfft. Glen Drover rules. :thumbsdown: In fact, the whole lineup on that album was the best Megadeth had in a long time. Chris Broderick seems like a worthy enough replacement, though.

- John Calvin.

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:25 pm 

First 4 Megadeth albums were fucking great. Countdown and Youthanasia we're decent rock albums, but I stopped buying their CDs after Risk.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 pm 

I'm very much looking forward to Megadeth in 09. I thought United Abominations was pretty awesome, with the exception of A Tout Le Monde. I do hope that the next album fully completes the transformation to an older-school sound though. Not sure if that's what they're going for, seeing as how UA has been praised as old school by the mainstream media, which it clearly is not. But still, a great album.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:40 pm 

colin040 wrote:
To be honest, I personally like UA as a fine, catchy heavy metal album more than the other oh so bad/or at times decent thrash releases such as Enemy of god, Christ illusion, Death magnetic, ect.

agreed.

There was just one big mistake on the album though. The a Tout le monder redo sucked rather horribly.

They have become more thrashier ever since the system has failed anyway. Lets hope it continues.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:21 pm 

United Abominations was a piece of shit, I predict their new album will be no different.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm 

I like how the longest serving member (apart from Mr Flamey Hair) has been around since 2004. Now that's commitment.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:42 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
colin040 wrote:

agreed.

There was just one big mistake on the album though. The a Tout le monder redo sucked rather horribly.

They have become more thrashier ever since the system has failed anyway. Lets hope it continues.

Oh yeah, the new a tout lemonde was pretty bad.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 am 

I hope Mustaine returns to writing lyrics instead of pseudo intellectual political hate speeches.

Speak for yourself.

Malician
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:27 am 

Don't totally trust Dave, but I'm looking forward to this one. United Abominations was a bit repetitive, had atrocious lyrics, and didn't show much inspiration -

but it was still decent music and you didn't have to pirate the guitar hero version.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 am 

Mungo wrote:
United Abominations was a piece of shit, I predict their new album will be no different.

Couldn't have said it better. There will probably be one or two good songs and rest will be complete and utter drivel full of mediocre riffs and lamentable lyrics.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:18 am 

Mustaine should stop doing those annoying spoken verses and tone down the poppiness on the choruses if he wants to make progress.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:27 am 

Malician wrote:
...and you didn't have to pirate the guitar hero version.

What?

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:20 am 

I don't understand the low review of "United Abominations" on the Archives. Sure, it ain't no Rust in Peace but it is a damn fine album nonetheless..very fresh and 'Megadethy'.

The new album should be awesome with Chris Broderick.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

AngelofDeath777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 am 

I am really excited for this one, and I cant wait to hear what it sounds like.

Im hopinng it will build on UA, which i thought was Good, but held back a little. Also, the lyrics werent as good as they could have been.

Wow it seems like UA was just released and already we have new album.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:33 am 

Kerpak wrote:
Malician wrote:

What?

Metallica - Death Magnetic. CD version sounded like ass. Guitar Hero version sounded much better.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:22 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Kerpak wrote:
Malician wrote:

What?

Metallica - Death Magnetic. CD version sounded like ass. Guitar Hero version sounded much better.

agreed. i didnt even like half the album until i heard the GH3 version

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:30 pm 

I thought UA was really good. I agree with the point of "tone down the poppiness on the choruses" as Never Walk Alone could've been better without the chorus. I look forward to hearing the next record. Not sure how Broderick will affect the songwriting. He was good live though.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:43 pm 

I personally preferred The System Has Failed to United Abominations. Sure it went very weird in places (The Lord's Prayer recited by Conan the Barbarian anyone?), but overall it held up very well. Incidentally, I swear the riff from 'Blackmail the Universe' is identical to Venom's 'Black Flame of Satan'.

The point I was driving towards is that I found UA quite dull for the most part, but everything about Washington is Next was brilliant, including the lyrics. If you need a laugh, look at this article about a UN supporter paying out on the title track: http://www.undispatch.com/archives/2007 ... h_me_1.php

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:49 pm 

ENKC wrote:
I swear the riff from 'Blackmail the Universe' is identical to Venom's 'Black Flame of Satan'.

Mustaine has always been influenced by Venom, and the early Megadeth songs are the best example. I guess that influence is still there, which is fine by me. More Venom-influenced songwriting for Megadeth would be a good thing.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next