Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm 

No topic on weird creatures is complete without the Botfly!

A creature so disgustingly offensive, the very mention of the name makes my wife angry and queasy!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm 

Botflies actually look somewhat cute. That said, laying your eggs in my skin isnt cool.
Hehe, foreskins.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm 

Let's not forget the Giant Spider Crab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtpYSmpvOM

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:59 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Let's not forget the Giant Spider Crab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtpYSmpvOM

I've seen bigger lobsters in some restaurants, sitting in a tank waiting to be cooked. Maybe not as big as the big one in that video, but the others didn't impress me at all.

ED:

They also taste really good.

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:27 pm 

I want to cook that thing and eat it after smashing it open like a pinata.
Hehe, foreskins.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:37 pm 

I don't like lobster and I'm a Mainer.

Here in Maine a lobster is going for about a third of what it normally goes for right now, so I may have to like eating it.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:56 pm 

Crick wrote:
Why is it that I find giant fish of any kind to be horribly frightening? For some reason a giant squid version of a bigfin would make me contemplate joining a cult that signals the end of the world.

There is certainly something terrifying about the ocean itself, I'd say. Especially the separation between what lies below the surface and what does above, for, from the surface of it, it seems harmless, and somewhat peaceful, yet knowing that things like this lurk underneath gives it a mysterious, ominous characteristic that is just incredibly frightening. Also the whole nature of the habitat seems to have more in common with the celestial than the terrestrial, particularly in the way that those animals are just suspended there.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:17 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Crick wrote:
Why is it that I find giant fish of any kind to be horribly frightening? For some reason a giant squid version of a bigfin would make me contemplate joining a cult that signals the end of the world.

There is certainly something terrifying about the ocean itself, I'd say. Especially the separation between what lies below the surface and what does above, for, from the surface of it, it seems harmless, and somewhat peaceful, yet knowing that things like this lurk underneath gives it a mysterious, ominous characteristic that is just incredibly frightening. Also the whole nature of the habitat seems to have more in common with the celestial than the terrestrial, particularly in the way that those animals are just suspended there.

The fact that they are so far away that we can't get to them almost makes it seem as though they are in a different world to us.

And there are things down there that we don't know about. Fuck knows what might be down there. To me, it's even more interesting than the possibility of aliens.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:35 am 

^^^ Possibilities of things lurking down there that we don't know about are incredibly high. I can't find a source for it after some quick searching, but I heard one scientist predict that we have only discovered 3% of life on Earth. What remains undiscovered lies in the depths of the sea. I must admit that 3% is a quite unbelievable figure but that's what they said. Regardless of the number, their is no doubt that there is some more crazy shit left to be discovered.

- Tim Minchin

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 am 

Speaking of things lurking in the depths, thought I'd post this for anyone who has not seen it or one like it:

If there is one thing that disturbs me about this thread, it is this god damn picture. It's a blue hole. This one is the Great Blue Hole, off the coast of Belize; it is 1,000 feet across and 400 feet deep. I don't know how the rest of you feel about these, but frankly, I find them very unsettling to look at, and I would NEVER want to be within the circumference of one, whether in a boat, swimming, or diving. FUCK THAT. Just look at how small the boat is compared to the hole. I recall reading that people indigenous to the area have tales about the blue hole, saying that a monster of some sort resides within it. Stuff that for a scary story: all you need to say is that it is a gigantic fucking pitch black hole in the ocean floor and I'll be outta there.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 am 

I'll just post this here because the other thread was locked and since this thread doesn't seem to be limited to sealife anymore.

www.japanesebugfights.com

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 am 

That deep hole is actually really cool. Reminds me of going to the beaches in low tide and looking at the rock pools, how each one was like an aquarium, with shells and weeds and various animals, like anemones and cucumbers. It's like that on a larger scale.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Reminds me of going to the beaches in low tide and looking at the rock pools, how each one was like an aquarium, with shells and weeds and various animals, like anemones and cucumbers.

Those rock pools are the epitome of awesome. Notable features:
- Neat little isolated habitats
- Crystal clear water
- Colourful plantlife
- All manner of scurrying/floating creatures
- NO CHANCE THAT YOU WILL BE SUCKED IN BY MALEVOLENT CURRENTS TO MEET AN UNTIMELY DEATH IN A WATERY FUCKING GRAVE

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 am 

According to the wiki link you provided, "Their water circulation is poor, and they are commonly anoxic below a certain depth; this environment is unfavorable for most sea life, but nonetheless can support large numbers of bacteria."

Of course, sea monsters could be that fragment that can live there.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 am 

frozenaeons wrote:
According to the wiki link you provided, "Their water circulation is poor, and they are commonly anoxic below a certain depth; this environment is unfavorable for most sea life, but nonetheless can support large numbers of bacteria."

Of course, sea monsters could be that fragment that can live there.

It's a beautiful thing, that. I've read about other blue holes, though, where there is in fact a regular current. Descent is only safe at certain times of the day, because at other times there will be a current that forces the swimmer out, or sucks the swimmer in. I love the sea - love swimming around in the deep parts, watching coral reefs and such, but being sucked into the gaping oceanic maw of the Earth and dying there is not my idea of a holiday in the sun. :D

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:00 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Speaking of things lurking in the depths, thought I'd post this for anyone who has not seen it or one like it:

blue hole pic

Haha, no shit! I did a water color painting of that same exact thing a couple years ago. I'll take a pic later, I guess!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Crick wrote:

I think squid are some of the most fascinating animals in the world. That recent show on Discovery about the captured Colossial Squid was freakin sweet. I'd rather be attacked by a Giant Squid than one of those things. Rather than suckers, the Colossial Squid's arms are lined with sharp hooks the size of a tiger's canine teeth.

That's a jim-dandy right there:

And it was barely over a year old. Something like 480 days.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 pm 

Those rock pools are the epitome of awesome. Notable features:
- Neat little isolated habitats
- Crystal clear water
- Colourful plantlife
- All manner of scurrying/floating creatures
- NO CHANCE THAT YOU WILL BE SUCKED IN BY MALEVOLENT CURRENTS TO MEET AN UNTIMELY DEATH IN A WATERY FUCKING GRAVE

I really hope this will fit in my sig.

Anyways, sea life doesn't have to be huge to be fucking bizarre. Observe the humble sea cucumber:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_cucumber

That's right. Some species, in self-defense, will eject sticky white stuff from their anus. They shit themselves to defend against predators. If humans could do that, I assure you most monster-based horror movies would end quite differently.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget their infamous penis fencing. Again, I think this only applies to certain species, but they are hermaphroditic, and non-self-fertilizing. Thus, to mate, they stab at each other with their penile organs until they ACTUALLY FUCKING PIERCE the other one.

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Don't squids have ridiculously short lifespans anyway?

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm 

Tronic wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Don't squids have ridiculously short lifespans anyway?
If the Giant Squid is any indication, it takes them a few years just to reach sexual maturity. So take something 32 ft long that is a year old and add a potential two more years of growth.

Crick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:25 pm 

Blue holes are far more frightening than black holes will ever be. At least I know that something will happen the instant I come in contact with a black hole. With a blue hole you're going to have to spend a good 5 or so minutes (maybe less, maybe more) dying a slow, painful death as the light around you blackens and disappears.

EDIT: My own self-made deep sea beastie: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1570 ... er2iv5.jpg
Hehe, foreskins.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:45 pm 

Crick wrote:
Blue holes are far more frightening than black holes will ever be. At least I know that something will happen the instant I come in contact with a black hole. With a blue hole you're going to have to spend a good 5 or so minutes (maybe less, maybe more) dying a slow, painful death as the light around you blackens and disappears.

I'm glad that we're on the same page with this. :shock: The only thing that could be more frightening about blue holes would be if there was a gigantic whirlpool within its circumference (with downward vortical flow, not one of those harmless suckers that just turn around slowly while the people on the boat giggle like schoolgirls and dance the Hokey Pokey).

I consider myself a relatively stable individual, but if there is one thing that consistently frightens me, it is whirlpools (or just vortices). Even looking at a photo of a vortex (be it a whirlpool, the top of a hurricane, or even the body of a tornado) makes me feel nervous.

Crick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 pm 

Aerial vortices dont seem to frighten me in the least. Its the water that gets me - if I get sucked into an aerial one I know Im going to experience a lot of pain very, very soon. I have no chance to escape that, so I can accept death more easily. With a blue hole you've got the teeny tiny chance to escape, but the fact that its basically impossible for you to do and theres so much... SPACE below you. You're left to think while the OCEAN ITSELF fucking EATS you. There is no sea monster more frightening than the sea itself, my friend!
Hehe, foreskins.

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:46 pm 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Whale sharks are very beautiful, and from what I've seen, very gentle or indifferent to humans. I've seen videos of divers swimming by them for hours without any threat being posed to them.

What terrifies me most of the ocean, though, is all those unknown creatures that dwell in the depths of it (the depths where sunlight doesn't reach, forcing the animals there to develop fantastic shapes and means to cope with the environment). The anglerfish, the blind shark, the giant squid... those things are downright surreal and frightening.

http://gfc.easytel.com/yandian/images/g ... r_fish.jpg

Any pics of such beasties of the depths?

Those things are bad ass.

Blood_Cobra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

[Colossal Squid]

:uh oh:

Fuck that...

Annihilate Folk, Pagan, and Viking Metal! Join the MA Anti-Folk Metal Front!
Member #6 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:24 am 

Crick wrote:

EDIT: My own self-made deep sea beastie: http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1570 ... er2iv5.jpg
Dude that thing is awesome, but when I look at it as a whole, it looks like a joint. :lol:

rathofgod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 am 

Hatchetfish:

[/img]

I actually own three hatchetfish. Not those, obviously. Unfortunately, their freshwater counterparts aren't nearly as awesome...

Anyway, not really super big/threatening but kinda cool (I used to have one of these, too but it kind of...died):
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/38764 ... cf.jpg?v=0

EDIT: it's sometimes called a freshwater lionfish.

Last edited by rathofgod on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Crick wrote:

Dude that thing is awesome, but when I look at it as a whole, it looks like a joint. :lol:

There's a reason the oceans are warming up you know. Isn't because of global warming. Incidentally, whales are going extinct due to an unknown populace of Megalodon shark with the munchies.
Hehe, foreskins.

Osgilliath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:49 am 

UncleYaris wrote:

Fuck that mainstream species, we're all about the underground here!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol:.

Pics or it didn't happen.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:53 am 

That ship with the wave ripples looks almost like a giant snake/worm coming out of the blue hole. Amazing.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:22 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Crick wrote:

Haha! :lol: It does! Moby Spliff?

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
That ship with the wave ripples looks almost like a giant snake/worm coming out of the blue hole. Amazing.

Hey, that never struck me but it does indeed look like a massive snake emerging from its lair. Jörmungandr, perhaps? Thanks for pointing that out - an interesting illusion, and one that could probably be further realised with a bit of Photoshop trickery.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:24 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Crick wrote:

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:

Hey, that never struck me but it does indeed look like a massive snake emerging from its lair. Jörmungandr, perhaps? Thanks for pointing that out - an interesting illusion, and one that could probably be further realised with a bit of Photoshop trickery.

Tis not Jörmungandr. Tis Moby Spliff.
Hehe, foreskins.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:36 am 

Crick wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
Crick wrote:

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:

Tis not Jörmungandr. Tis Moby Spliff.

My mistake. :lol: If you ever think of renaming your sea creature (which is pretty cool, by the way - kind of looks like a giant, souped up and blood thirsty Coelacanth), you should consider naming it the Moby Spliff leviathan (Latimeria Gigantosplifficus), or even the Spliffgard Serpent.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 am 

It is now official. Should I ever recieve a title, it simply MUST be Latimeria Gigantosplifficus.
Hehe, foreskins.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 am 

The Tripod Fish is pretty cool. It can stand on the ocean floor.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:21 am 

Probably the most frightening thing I've seen in this thread is that bigfin squid. I imagine myself in one of those exploring submarines, and encountering one of those in the pitch black of the deep ocean, it gives me the chills.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 am 

Blood_Cobra wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

[Colossal Squid]

:uh oh:

Fuck that...

Man, you can't even see the hooks on those tentacles. They don't have suckers:

They get as large as a tiger's canines, and they swivel 180 degrees.

Candehman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:32 pm 

Not sealife, or even landlife, but with the posting of that huge hole in the ocean it made me think of the "Devil's Kettle" in Minnesota.

It apparently doesn't go anywhere good, nothing thrown in has ever been seen again.

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfall ... ttle.shtml

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfall ... ettle2.jpg

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:42 pm 

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:33 pm 

What exactly is that? A salamander centipede?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next