Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 pm 

What precludes brutality, tempo changes?

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 pm 

And lower vocals, "heavier" guitars, etc.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Even the 70s' stuff?

Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny...pure Heavy Metal.

Don't forget Sin after Sin...that is the album that officially made them a metal band in my opinion. Sad Wings was like a tad, TAD bit away from being metal.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 pm 

Today's soulseek playlist:

Some Nile song (on repeat)

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Even the 70s' stuff?

Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny...pure Heavy Metal.

Don't forget Sin after Sin...that is the album that officially made them a metal band in my opinion. Sad Wings was like a tad, TAD bit away from being metal.

It's not exactly about your point, but I hope everybody understood that I never said Judas Priest wasn't metal in the 70s.

awm wrote:

What does preclusion of brutality have to do with it? I didn't say Altars of Madness isn't brutal.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 pm 

You said that Covenant and the later stuff was more brutal. What makes Altars of Madness not as brutal, or precludes it from being brutal, was my question.

When I listen to Covenant the only thing that goes through my mind is that it isn't quite as interesting to listen to as Altars of Madness.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:21 pm 

awm wrote:
You said that Covenant and the later stuff was more brutal. What makes Altars of Madness not as brutal, or precludes it from being brutal, was my question.

And I didn't say Altars of Madness isn't brutal. And it isn't as brutal due to... just ask the question: which one sounds more like brutal death?
Quote:
When I listen to Covenant the only thing that goes through my mind is that it isn't quite as interesting to listen to as Altars of Madness.

Since when did being brutal equal being interesting? I'm not sure if you were implying that, but I don't necessarily correlate brutality with something good.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:47 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
awm wrote:
Anyone who listens to Caught Somewhere in Time and doesn't realize it's metal is getting metal confused with hard rock.

I find they have no real understanding of what metal is in the first place. It's not all just down-tuned guitars and screamed vokillz, and somehow that is lost on many people.

Goddamn, this reminds me of this "hard music" dude who loved Fear Factory, Machine Head, and recently had bought the first Korn album in high school. I was a big Maiden fan (it was 1994) and hes like "Maiden aren't really metal, they're Hard Rock" or some shit like that. I never got to beat his ass for saying that!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:50 am 

When I was trying to get into some old-school death metal after listening to stuff like Aborted and Necrophagist, I found old-school death metal boring. At the time, I was only able to get through old-school death metal albums while doing some work. A few months later, I decided to play Altars of Madness and Cause of Death, but this time, I played them with the volume much louder. I instantly understood why Obituary and Morbid Angel got so much praise. Old-school death metal in general is so much more fun to listen to.

The modern metal listeners the OP is talking about are either very stubborn or they're not listening to old-school metal properly.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:59 am 

Adriankat wrote:
The modern metal listeners the OP is talking about are either very stubborn or they're not listening to old-school metal properly.

The corollary are those who worship OSDM whilst generalising very negatively about modern death metal? There's plenty of 'fun' to be had with death metal that isn't old-school...you just have to look.

Grynfisher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:59 am 

Well, I've once been told that some unidentifiable Math-core band is, "More brutal and intelligent than that pussy faggot stuff like Sabbath," if that counts.

But, as for the bands, I'd think that a fundamental understanding of your choice genre, including the ability to identify it, would be requisite to being able to play it at all, for a number of reasons.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:45 am 

MapleKit wrote:
Manic616 wrote:
The thing that annoys me about modern metal is that bands seem to treat the music mathmatically rather than as an art form. It saddens me to know that I didn't grow up in the early years of black/death metal.
Yes, too many bands trying to play the fastest blasts and sickest tech riffs, and forgetting to write good music with feeling.

Quoted for truth. It pisses me off and I've only been into metal for just over a year. I can only imagine how someone who grew up with the classic bands feels about it.

This thread reminds me of a comment made in another thread which I can't remember. It was basically the story of an MA poster who spoke to a member of a deathcore band. They got talking and the conversation went something like this;

Deathcore guy: "Our band takes a lot of influence from death metal."

MA Poster: "Oh, like Chuck Shuldiner?"

Deathcore guy: "Who?"

:nono:

How can you say you take influence from death metal if you don't know who Chuck is? That's just pathetic.

- Tim Minchin

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 am 

This honesty dosen't suprise me. Igo to school with people that think Maiden are 'boring' for not having a breakdown. 'weebing', and bad sweep picking.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:40 am 

MapleKit wrote:
I've also heard newcomers to death metal say that solos don't belong in death metal because they are from the 80's.

Well, of course solos work in DM, but they cannot sound like NWOBHM solos, or be wanky, overly long. To me, DM was never about being guitar gods. The short chaotic bursts inspired by Slayer are perfect for DM. My favorite example of a great DM solo would be Immolations "Into Everlasting Fire."

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 am 

Hircine wrote:
This honesty dosen't suprise me. Igo to school with people that think Maiden are 'boring' for not having a breakdown. 'weebing', and bad sweep picking.

It's a generation thing. I finished school a long time ago and what I considered good then is different to what is popular now. Not really a revelation.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

The corollary are those who worship OSDM whilst generalising very negatively about modern death metal? There's plenty of 'fun' to be had with death metal that isn't old-school...you just have to look.

Just talking about people who refuse to accept old-school death metal. I still very much enjoy bands such as Lykathea Aflame and Spawn of Possession. It's just that today's biggest DM bands are have different musical goals than yesterday's biggest DM bands. In general, bands try to be very heavy, and there are many ways to approach that. Through fast and technical riffs in the style of Decapitated or heavy crushing riffs in the style of Obituary.

I'm probably contradicting myself. :ugh:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:16 am 

thewitchfinder wrote:

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Modern Thrash Metal bands, or those that claim or wish they were Thrash are missing the one thing that made "real" 80's Thrash: The Diamond Head influence. The riffs and style on Lightning to the Nations was borrowed, used, reused, stolen, or heavily incorporated into the signature sounds of nearly every great 80's Thrash Metal band and several others including Metallica, Megadeth, OverKill, Anthrax, Testament, Corrosion of Conformity, and on and on and on.

That's a generational divide missing in newer so-called Thrash bands (like you, Trivium) as they're more influenced by the modified sound of Metallica and Megadeth and OverKill and the like, rather than Diamond Head's original signature riffing.

Thrash without the Diamond Head/NWOBHM influence is Thrash without it's soul.

I completely agree. Many newer fans view NWOBHM/traditional bands mockingly - listening to them only for novelty purposes which absolutely disgusts me. I think the problem with the majority of modern metal is the lack of interesting song writing or riffage instead focusing on being overtly and obnoxiously technical. Too many bands focus on their image, avoid the fine details of memorable and sensible composition instead creating a sound in the end that equates to a spastic mess of diarrhea shooting from an asshole.

Maybe I'm just getting old (which I am), but these new bands are terrible most of the time. Where the hell is the musicianship? Watch any stretch of Headbanger's Ball now and you get a disgusting swath of these dreadful "Death-Core" bands and all they seem to do is wail on their instruments and jam out a wall of noise and some incomprehensible growling. They're idea of mixing it up is a nonsensical sing-along clean vocal chorus that simply doesn't belong.

What happened to being able to write riffs and music? Where's the intricate guitar work and soloing? Like, Megadeth's opening to Good Mourning/Black Friday, or the kind of work seen in Slayer's South of Heaven or Dead Skin Mask? This is real heavy Heavy Metal stuff, and it's totally absent these days. They act like if they aren't just ruining guitars and growling out a monotone wall of noise, they aren't Metal. And that kind of shit is precisely NOT Metal. Even classic Death and Possessed contained musicianship.

Maybe it's just because I got into Metal with much better, more diverse music, but this new shit all sounds the same. One obnoxious wall-of-sound song sounds just like every other. One shitty Death-Core band is all you need to hear to know that every one of them sounds damn near the same way. Headbanger's Ball is a fucking disgrace to Metal now. Just because they throw in BLS every now and then doesn't mean they actually understand the music.

The music has no energy, ironically, either. Despite the obnoxious walls of sound we get, the music is boring--in large part becuase it has no variance.

I do agree that too many bands now just focus on image and "being extreme metal" than on actual music. I think that's one of the most obvious signs of a poseur, actually. They're afraid to experiment or try anything even slightly different. They're only idea of experimentation or difference is clean vocals "because that'll so totally blow their mind to hear clean vocals in this kind of music!!!"

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:16 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
They're only idea of experimentation or difference is clean vocals "because that'll so totally blow their mind to hear clean vocals in this kind of music!!!"

But it doesn't blow my mind; it just makes me think, 'Wow, that's pathetic.'
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting old (which I am), but these new bands are terrible most of the time. Where the hell is the musicianship? Watch any stretch of Headbanger's Ball now and you get a disgusting swath of these dreadful "Death-Core" bands and all they seem to do is wail on their instruments and jam out a wall of noise and some incomprehensible growling. They're idea of mixing it up is a nonsensical sing-along clean vocal chorus that simply doesn't belong.

What happened to being able to write riffs and music? Where's the intricate guitar work and soloing? Like, Megadeth's opening to Good Mourning/Black Friday, or the kind of work seen in Slayer's South of Heaven or Dead Skin Mask? This is real heavy Heavy Metal stuff, and it's totally absent these days. They act like if they aren't just ruining guitars and growling out a monotone wall of noise, they aren't Metal. And that kind of shit is precisely NOT Metal. Even classic Death and Possessed contained musicianship.

Maybe it's just because I got into Metal with much better, more diverse music, but this new shit all sounds the same. One obnoxious wall-of-sound song sounds just like every other. One shitty Death-Core band is all you need to hear to know that every one of them sounds damn near the same way. Headbanger's Ball is a fucking disgrace to Metal now. Just because they throw in BLS every now and then doesn't mean they actually understand the music.

The music has no energy, ironically, either. Despite the obnoxious walls of sound we get, the music is boring--in large part becuase it has no variance.

I do agree that too many bands now just focus on image and "being extreme metal" than on actual music. I think that's one of the most obvious signs of a poseur, actually. They're afraid to experiment or try anything even slightly different. They're only idea of experimentation or difference is clean vocals "because that'll so totally blow their mind to hear clean vocals in this kind of music!!!"

I completely agree with you about death-core but that genre absolutely does not represent the state of modern metal.

In my opinion death-core is not metal, it is simply a mixture of some death metal elements with loads of other influences from metalcore. It is definitely true that most of these death-core bands are mostly about image and making money but the spirit of actual metal does not exist in them.

The majority of actual good metal bands can be found in the underground with only some of them breaking with the mainstream and barely any of them getting any airplay on shit like Headbangers Ball.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:43 pm 

awm wrote:

I would like to know this as well.

In the Covenant/Alters debate, I would say that in terms of brutality Blessed tops them both - even with the piano/accustic guitar/flute wankery. That album is an assault on the senses whereas Covenant has much more straight-forward death metal sounds and far more basic tremelo riffs. But if we only get A or B, then Alters is by far the "more brutal" sounding of the two.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:56 pm 

Kruel wrote:
awm wrote:

And I didn't say Altars of Madness isn't brutal. And it isn't as brutal due to... just ask the question: which one sounds more like brutal death?
Quote:

Since when did being brutal equal being interesting? I'm not sure if you were implying that, but I don't necessarily correlate brutality with something good.

I don't think either of them sounds like brutal death otherwise I wouldn't listen to them. I think Altars is somewhat more of a diverse album. I guess in that lack of variety Covenant is closer to brutal death. But it still has rhythmic drumming.

I didn't equate being brutal with being interesting. I meant just the opposite. Unintelligible vocals and blast beats are boring and unmusical... but I don't think Covenant meets those criteria.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm 

Grynfisher wrote:
Well, I've once been told that some unidentifiable Math-core band is, "More brutal and intelligent than that pussy faggot stuff like Sabbath," if that counts.

But, as for the bands, I'd think that a fundamental understanding of your choice genre, including the ability to identify it, would be requisite to being able to play it at all, for a number of reasons.

I used to be pretty big into hardcore and bands like Botch were always touted as like the height of technicality in music. They had some interesting parts but overall it was just harsh with unlistenable vocals. You can't just play shit like that and enjoy it. It is just supposed to be grating and jarring, I guess. That's not what music is about.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 am 

awm wrote:
That's not what music is about.

What is music about, then?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:46 am 

rexxz wrote:
awm wrote:
That's not what music is about.

What is music about, then?

The birds and the Bees and everything nice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am 

Music is a wide spectrum, with several moods and methods of enjoyment within its population - hardcore, with its grating and extreme nature, happens to be one of them.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:10 pm 

MUSIC

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.

In case anyone didn't know what music was. :D

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm 

MapleKit wrote:
This thought occured to me after an experience I had with a certain brutal death metal band which will go unnamed because i don't wanna stir any shit up with them.

It started at a party where a rather popular brutal death metal band were at and we were flipping through the channels and landed on headbangers ball. An Obituary video was playing and I was totally into it. This band says "that's not even death metal" and I just sat there trying not to laugh. Later that night I played some of my cds which included early Entombed and Grave and Nocturnus "The Key" and all of those were considered not death metal by this band.

Ok, the question is, is it possible that some of these new bands who just jumped on the bandwagon in the last few years are clueless on what death metal is all about? How can you say that Nocturnus, Grave, Entombed and Obituary are not death metal? Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this of have encountered anything like this before.

Edit: It doesn't have to be death metal, I just used that example because of my experience.

Try asking Judas Preist and Deep Purple if modern metalheads are out of touch with REAL metal.

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:19 pm 

Who says what's real metal?

What makes the people of this board's view of what is real metal true? Who's to say those mallcore kids aren't true? Just because we think they're idiots doesn't mean they do. Obviously they think they're right, and we are idiots, who's to say who's right?

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:32 pm 

Forrizzledog wrote:

What makes the people of this board's view of what is real metal true? Who's to say those mallcore kids aren't true? Just because we think they're idiots doesn't mean they do. Obviously they think they're right, and we are idiots, who's to say who's right?

I would say both groups are right when they say they listen to metal.

Both groups are wrong too when they say the other doesn't.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm 

Everyone's right about everything, nobody is ever wrong. Everyone's opinions are equal on every subject. Didn't you guys know this?

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:41 pm 

Just because someone is out of touch with "real" metal does not inherently make them inferior human beings. Sure, I despise deathcore and its variants as much as the next guy, and I absolutely hate the trendy fashion style its fans adhere to. But what exactly makes them worse than the thrash revivalist crowd? You can make fun of the scene/core kids all you want for dressing the same and looking ridiculous, but if you go to any Municipal Waste show, you'll see the same thing. Guys that cant be older than 18 walking around like it's 1986, wearing their jean vests and studded belts and such. I'm all for upholding the ideals that were manifested by the "classic" metal of the 80's and 90's, but if you just follow a template set by bands 20 years ago because it looks "cool" or it's popular in the local metal scene, you really are no better than those death-core kids. Really, is this modern crap masquerading as metal more trendy than thrash in the late 80's, or even death and black metal in the early 90's? Trendwhores will always exist, as different scenes of music experience their brief period of mainstream popularity. Deathcore will fade into obscurity in a few years just as Nu metal did, while the true metal heads will continue to uphold the genre's classics for future generations.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm 

MapleKit wrote:
MUSIC

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

Quote:
In Adam MacGregor's definition, "the blast-beat generally comprises a repeated, sixteenth-note figure played at a very fast tempo, and divided uniformly among the kick drum, snare and ride, crash, or hi-hat cymbal."[1] Blast beats have been described as "maniacal percussive explosions, less about rhythm per se than sheer sonic violence".

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm 

As a young metal head (18), I can attest to the general view that 'm0ar Br00tal = m0ar \m/3tAL' - as this seems to be the case with the majority of people who I have had the misfortune of meeting in lines for gigs. The public is ignorant and this new generation of MTV listening 'metal heads' (if the word is at all appropriate) is the reason metalcore and deathcore are so popular. No attention is payed to the deepth of the scene of any metal sub genre. Deaths roots in bands like Obituary, Death and Entombed are forgotten, and bands like Sabbath and Maiden rarely gain much attention at all. While everyone needs a way into more extreme metal and I personally loath the type of elitism of some more 'kvlt' members of the metal community, I can see this as a response to what seems to be the pollution of the metal ideal and the roots of the genre.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have seen the future and it is bleak.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 pm 

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
As a young metal head (18), I can attest to the general view that 'm0ar Br00tal = m0ar \m/3tAL' - as this seems to be the case with the majority of people who I have had the misfortune of meeting in lines for gigs. The public is ignorant and this new generation of MTV listening 'metal heads' (if the word is at all appropriate) is the reason metalcore and deathcore are so popular. No attention is payed to the deepth of the scene of any metal sub genre. Deaths roots in bands like Obituary, Death and Entombed are forgotten, and bands like Sabbath and Maiden rarely gain much attention at all. While everyone needs a way into more extreme metal and I personally loath the type of elitism of some more 'kvlt' members of the metal community, I can see this as a response to what seems to be the pollution of the metal ideal and the roots of the genre.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have seen the future and it is bleak.
The future may be bleak, but in my world it's still 1992. :D

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:20 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Okay, I take back the "definitely" part. My brain is exploding with the question of "what is rock?"

"Rock is the area between the balls and anus of a dog or another man....":)

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:51 pm 

Forrizzledog wrote:

I'm glad there are others out there who think the same way that I do about music.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 pm 

raveneyeslikemirrors wrote:

Try asking Judas Preist and Deep Purple if modern metalheads are out of touch with REAL metal.

I don't know about asking Priest about that, becuase Halford has said in interviews that some of his favorite modern bands are 3 Inches of Blood, Dimmu Borgir, and Bullet for My Valentine....

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07 pm 

awm wrote:
MapleKit wrote:
MUSIC

Quote:
In rexxz's definition, "the blast-beat generally comprises a repeated, sixteenth-note figure played at a very fast tempo, and divided uniformly among the kick drum, snare and ride, crash, or hi-hat cymbal."[1] Blast beats have been described as "maniacal percussive explosions, less about rhythm per se than sheer sonic violence, but still containing clear rhythm and serving a compositional purpose".

Oh, awesome.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 pm 

NexusofThecrisis wrote:
raveneyeslikemirrors wrote:

I don't know about asking Priest about that, becuase Halford has said in interviews that some of his favorite modern bands are 3 Inches of Blood, Dimmu Borgir, and Bullet for My Valentine....

So? He can still think they're out of touch with real metal. And besides, 3 Inches of Blood is an exception to the trend. They play original, classic metal.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 am 

Well, if Entombed and Obituary aren't death metal then Blind Guardian aren't power metal, Kreator aren't thrash metal and Candlemass aren't doom metal. Some people think that the more you knock respected bands, the cooler you are.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next