Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 pm 

Does anyone here fingerpick a bass instead of just using a regular pick? I usually do it when playing something really fast, because I can't really use a normal pick that well. Do any known metal bassists do it? Do some consider it unprofessional?

Traver
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:11 pm 

Most bassist will tell you that pick is for pussies. I generally prefer fingerpicking as well, but I do use a pick now and then. I think it's best to learn both.

Xtremo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:54 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
Does anyone here fingerpick a bass instead of just using a regular pick? I usually do it when playing something really fast, because I can't really use a normal pick that well. Do any known metal bassists do it? Do some consider it unprofessional?

Frank Bell, Robert Trujilo and Steve Harris fingerpick, and so used to Cliff Burton.

were they hot?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:44 pm 

I remember seeing the dude from Decapitated doing some pretty fast and tasty stuff with his fingers. He used four of them to fingerpick, which always struck me as odd, though I guess you can go a good deal faster with four.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 pm 

I always thought most metal bassists fingerpicked, guess not though. Unprofessional? Don't see how it is, as some of the best in the business do it (Steve Harris, Alex Webster...). When I play bass, I never use a pick, since as Traver said, it's for pussies. I've heard this before, and agree with it myself.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 am 

I use both styles, but more often than not, I've been using a pick lately.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:47 am 

You know if you really want to master your instrument, and get to know all sides of it... That's exactly what you have to do, you have to know all sides of your instrument. I view instrumental learning as not a "M3T4L 4 L1F3" sort of thing you know? I myself am a very formal musician. That's just my side. If I were you, I'd learn ALL of it. All sides.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:44 am 

I fingerpick, simply because I prefer the tone and the feeling I get from it. I've never been particularly good at using a pick, even when playing guitar or mandolin, just because of the feeling I get. For what it's worth, I also do a bit of slapping. Currently I only use two fingers, although wouldn't mind moving up to three as I progress, and seeing if that works for me.

Dolf really hit the nail on the head, though. If you only play one style of music, you aren't reaching your full potential as a musician at all.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am 

Both are viable ways of playing and some of the best bassists out there will do either method depending on what the song or band calls for.

That said, nine times out of ten I'll be fingerpicking as I'm just more used to it. I can play fast enough with three fingers and it feels much more natural to me as I can easily start slapping or do some tapping without a pick getting in the way.

Other good examples of fingerpicking bassists:

Brent Sullivan (Slauter Xstroyes)
Doug Keyser (WatchTower)
Steve DiGiorgio (every goddamn band under the sun -but mostly Sadus)

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:40 pm 

I don't think I used the right terminology about fingerpicking. I'm talking about taking your thumb and index finger and making a mock pick with them.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:37 pm 

Oh. Well that's kind of weird.

Doesn't that hurt the shit out of your thumb? I feel like I'm pulling my nail off.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:09 pm 

I play bass myself using a 3 finger method for triplets but for the most part I only use 2 fingers. I find it easier to place faster without a pick. Gaining the stamina, speed, strenght to play fast just comes through time. I also find it funner to play without a pick. I like bands with bass players who dont use picks just because they capable of doing alot more. Its also more interesting to watch. These are some of my favorite metal bass players.

Steve Digiorgio (Sadus)
Roger Patterson (Atheist)
Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Tony Chow (Cynic, Atheist)
Frank Bello (Anthrax)
Rober Trujilo (Metallica)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Steve Cloutier (Gorguts)
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
Bob Daisley (Ex-Ozzy, Rainbow, etc)

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 pm 

I don't think I used the right terminology about fingerpicking. I'm talking about taking your thumb and index finger and making a mock pick with them.

Well, I do that as well. Mainly not on bass, though and not when doing anything that requires a bit of thinking as I am more clumsy with it, but when just playing one or two E string notes or something I'll do it here and there, mainly just to make my playing a tiny bit more interesting to watch as I'm alternating between different things.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:26 pm 

I do it when I need to play something speedy, because for some reason I find it a lot more comfortable than using a pick. It sounds decent too, and it doesn't really hurt at all.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:02 am 

I've never been able to play faster using a pick or your method, I play faster fingerpicking with two fingers, and it's a lot more comfortable. More accurate and flexible as well, I think. But that's probably just because that's how I've always played.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:23 pm 

I usually go for the alternating style, mainly using two fingers though I will at times, depending on the particular riff or rhythm I'm playing use three (rarely will I use four).

I will use this so called, thumb-pointer-positioned-in-a-pick-shaped-form to play chords or get a rougher, harsher tone though I find it unwieldy and restrictive - much the same as I find a pick restrictive and bothersome.

I CAN use a pick though I do refrain from it.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:25 pm 

When I play Black Metal with my band, I use pick, because it is impossible to achieve the needed clarity for tremolos by finger picking.

When I play non metal stuff, just for my self, I always use fingers, up to 5 fingers on each hand : http://thehellpatrol.googlepages.com/10fingers.wav

Those who say that pick is for pussies are idiots. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages. An besides there is a special thread for discussing bass guitar and everything.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.