Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
The album will probably be too slow!

Edit: TO elaborate a bit, the band seems to get stuck in a rut whenever they're not playing at Mach 10 .. at least, that's always been my impression of them, and in fact a good many other thrash bands. What can I say, I like "Pleasure to Kill" best of all, and find that thrash bands who slow down tend to write one-dimensional, chugging riffs that are the epitome of boredom. in Kreator's case, they've offset this with tendencies that aren't far off from some of today's popular "melodic death metal" bands. They're still fun live, but again, I wish they'd concentrate more on the faster material. That recently released live in Poland thing is bloody incredible in so many ways and I wish the gig I'd been to see had been like that.

They were gonna come here but something happened to King Diamond's health and the gig was pulled :nono:. I seriously found the new songs to work well in the live environment when I saw them and rather have songs off their last two albums than their middle era tracks. This album will prompt another tour and this is good enough of a reason to be happy about it if it means you get to see them live :D
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Actually I heard from a good source that this is going to be their fastest album ever. I said WHAT? Finding it very hard to believe but I guess we'll see. I'll buy it if it's better than coma.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:14 pm 

Im one of the people who likes their later stuff better. I will be looking forward to this. I havnt seen much mind blowing c-d art in years so Il just wait to hear this before I pass judgement.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:17 pm 

thejestersgate wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

Actually I heard from a good source that this is going to be their fastest album ever. I said WHAT? Finding it very hard to believe but I guess we'll see. I'll buy it if it's better than coma.

Oh, you mean like every band says about every album they've ever made?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:46 pm 

I'm guardedly pessimistic, basically if it turns out similar to the way Death Magnetic did (which I did not like), I won't be a bit surprised.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm 

I've always liked Kreator, so I'll be waiting for this new album to come out. I expect a solid effort, but not as great as their earlier works of course.

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm 

I liked Enemy and Violent Revolution... I think this will be a good one and I'm looking forward to it.

CrimsonKing724
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:36 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWf9xAurBZw

I don't know if anyone's seen it but its a teaser trailer of sorts.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:52 pm 

CrimsonKing724 wrote:

36 seconds of what is probably a slow section of a song is nowhere near enough to even count as a teaser :(

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

Edit: TO elaborate a bit, the band seems to get stuck in a rut whenever they're not playing at Mach 10 .. at least, that's always been my impression of them, and in fact a good many other thrash bands. What can I say, I like "Pleasure to Kill" best of all, and find that thrash bands who slow down tend to write one-dimensional, chugging riffs that are the epitome of boredom. in Kreator's case, they've offset this with tendencies that aren't far off from some of today's popular "melodic death metal" bands. They're still fun live, but again, I wish they'd concentrate more on the faster material. That recently released live in Poland thing is bloody incredible in so many ways and I wish the gig I'd been to see had been like that.

They were gonna come here but something happened to King Diamond's health and the gig was pulled :nono:. I seriously found the new songs to work well in the live environment when I saw them and rather have songs off their last two albums than their middle era tracks. This album will prompt another tour and this is good enough of a reason to be happy about it if it means you get to see them live :D

I liked Enemy of God and live it should sound better with all the energy so I'm confident for this one. And they announced a tour and play some dates in Canada so I can't wait! Unfortunately even if the new album is goodm it means they'll play less old songs.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:26 am 

CrimsonKing724 wrote:

What the fuck is this, they're basically playing metalcore now if this is anything to go by.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 am 

Mungo wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

What the fuck is this, they're basically playing metalcore now if this is anything to go by.

yeah, I'm not enthusiast now...

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 am 

Warcurse is just one of those songs where you know it's going to be thrashy without hearing it. :P

I will probably be getting this.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:05 am 

PlagueRages wrote:
Excellent, can't wait! I enjoyed Enemy Of God so I'm looking forward to this album.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Okay, so that cover cancels out the implied awesomeness that the song names had built. Back to square one.

Why? They had to come up with a new idea for the head theme, so what's wrong with this one?
It's not their best cover, but it will do. Also, how many kickass albums are there with terrible covers? There was a thread somewhere here about it...

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:37 am 

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:
Mungo wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

yeah, I'm not enthusiast now...

Why do people immediately assume that every new cd is going to be metalcore?

Kreator have a lot of breakdowns - I know they have them in Enemy of God, Pleasure to Kill and Betrayer; three great songs. You shouldn't go insulting them like that when you haven't even heard the album.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Last edited by foz45139 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:41 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
Okay, so that cover cancels out the implied awesomeness that the song names had built. Back to square one.

so what's wrong with this one?

I would have to say the problem for me is distinctly in the eyes and the mouth. The eyes clenched (are they supposed to look sewn?) shut in pain and the mouth gaping in what appears to be an anguished scream, well, the first thing I thought of was sodomy. The bad kind.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 am 

Considering that I've not even got Extreme Aggression yet (can't find it cheap) and that I don't like what I've heard off the last two. I don't think I'll be getting this, but it's a new album by an old thrash band, you can't expect that much.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:40 pm 

Mungo wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

I dont get a feeling of metalcore at all. To me it sounds like it either going to be a breakdown in a song or mayber a slower paced song.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:40 pm 

I realized a good thing, there is 10 tracks. Albums tend to be better when they have less tracks and when they're shorter. The songs are usually more different from each other and there is no filler.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:11 pm 

When evaluating a post-1990 "thrash" album there is but a single question you, the listener, should be asking yourself:

1) Did the band form during the 80's?

If you answered yes to the above question then the album will suck harder than the offspring of a hooker being fucked by a hoover.

Exceptions exist but that's like saying not everyone who has unprotected sex gets a STD because one day you'll end up pissing burning hot razor blades.

TLDR; 'Enemy of God' sucked, hence 'Hordes of Chaos' will suck.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:19 pm 

CrimsonKing724 wrote:

Cool. sounds a bit like Pleasure to Kill parts- maybe a bit more of a groove (but nothing sounds out of the ordinary).

Breakdowns my ass- it was double picked, not "chugga chugga".

Damn 14 year old wanna be metal elitists, nice try though.

What was that Araya scream though? It didnt sound like typical Mille.

New Kreator>New Testament, New Exodus- you know im correct (though I havent heard the past few Sodom so I cant judge them)

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 pm 

Ehhh I don't know, barring the drums that was extremely crappy and is not the direction I want to see them take. We'll have to wait and see though, because thirty seconds isn't enough to really judge.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 pm 

I thought Enemy of God was probably the best piece of thrash since the mid 90s. Nowhere near as good as a slew of albums from the 80s, but we can't expect too much from a genre that has pretty much been dead for over a decade. I would be happy for Kreator to keep up the same quality on the new one.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:57 pm 

Primemattimus wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

Cool. sounds a bit like Pleasure to Kill parts- maybe a bit more of a groove (but nothing sounds out of the ordinary).

New Kreator>New Testament, New Exodus- you know im correct (though I havent heard the past few Sodom so I cant judge them)

No, you're not correct, because Sodom - M-16 has completely blown everything in thrash metal in the past 15 years straight out of the fucking water.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:19 pm 

Grrr only one live date in the UK :nono:

Rivendar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:13 pm 

It's a 36 second clip, but lets judge them prematurely and say they've taken a nasty turn! Makes perfect sense to me.

Anticipating this quite a bit. Loved Enemy of God as much as their older Material.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:24 pm 

nggr wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

36 seconds of what is probably a slow section of a song is nowhere near enough to even count as a teaser :(
It's called a teaser because it's meant to tease you. So yeah, it worked.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 pm 

Mille's vocals there have now put fear in me. If he sounds like that on this whole album it may ruin things...
Hehe, foreskins.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:27 pm 

Who cares if it sucks? Just listen to their classic stuff. :)

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 pm 

Obviously. I always will. Classic Kreator makes me furiously fap, headbang, and binge drink all at once.
Hehe, foreskins.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:45 pm 

Crick wrote:
Obviously. I always will. Classic Kreator makes me furiously fap, headbang, and binge drink all at once.
fap hahaha

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 am 

foz45139 wrote:

I don't assume every new cd is going to be metalcore. The breakdowns in the other tracks you mentioned however are actually good, unlike the one seen in the teaser.

foz45139 wrote:
You shouldn't go insulting them like that when you haven't even heard the album.

Read what I said again mate.

Mungo wrote:
What the fuck is this, they're basically playing metalcore now if this is anything to go by

From what I've heard of the teaser, it was quite bad, therefore I don't see anything wrong with apparently 'insulting' the band.

Primemattimus wrote:

Yes, because no one is allowed to have a differentiating opinion than yours on the subject, and when they do they are clearly a 14 year old elitist.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:05 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:
CrimsonKing724 wrote:

No, you're not correct, because Sodom - M-16 has completely blown everything in thrash metal in the past 15 years straight out of the fucking water.

I haven't heard "M16" yet, but I thought "Sodom" was boring as fuck. I also agree that "Enemy of god" was far superior to "The formation of damnation" (not a bad album though), and I haven't listened to "The atrocity exhibition" properly yet so...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:10 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Considering that I've not even got Extreme Aggression yet (can't find it cheap)

www.priceminister.com Very trustworthy and cheap store of new and second-hand stuff. I use them a lot and they've always been great.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:12 am 

As much as I love Kreator, that is one of the worst cover art pictures I've ever seen.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 am 

Lagartija wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Considering that I've not even got Extreme Aggression yet (can't find it cheap)

www.priceminister.com Very trustworthy and cheap store of new and second-hand stuff. I use them a lot and they've always been great.

I've actually found it on the UK based play.com, with free delivery and given I got some money yesterday, I'll have to treat myself. Betrayer got me hooked. I probably need to get Endless Pain soon too.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:14 am 

I'm waiting for a delivery of 10 albums including "Pleasure to kill", "Terrible certainty", "Extreme agression" and "Coma of souls", so just need to sort out "Endless pain" at some stage and I'm sorted 8)

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:14 pm 

Mungo wrote:
foz45139 wrote:

I don't assume every new cd is going to be metalcore. The breakdowns in the other tracks you mentioned however are actually good, unlike the one seen in the teaser.

OK sorry about that, I thought you might have been one of them twats who hears any breakdown and goes 'AHHHHHHH metalcore!'

Mungo wrote:
From what I've heard of the teaser, it was quite bad, therefore I don't see anything wrong with apparently 'insulting' the band.

Implying that Kreator have anything to do with metalcore is an insult! :P

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:04 pm 

foz45139 wrote:
Mungo wrote:
foz45139 wrote:

OK sorry about that, I thought you might have been one of them twats who hears any breakdown and goes 'AHHHHHHH metalcore!'

Mungo wrote:

Implying that Kreator have anything to do with metalcore is an insult! :P

I'd rather have some cool dual guitar harmonies that some dork thinks sounds "metalcore or gothenburg" mixed with my thrash than some dumb groove metal or nu metal shit mixed in.

But thats just me.

At least they still thrash when it counts- like the first tracks on the new albums, etc.

Theres even a bit of goth rock thrown in on a few tracks.

Its cool to mix it up sometimes in my opinion.

But also, Mille still sounds Mille for the most part- thats part of the reason I could stand Tempo of the Damned, at least it had Souza sounding like back in the day, regardless of some of the Panteraisms of some of the riffing.

You're damned if you do, damned if you dont if you're an older thrash band. My point is Kreator still retains a lot of their old shit with the new records- same with Testaments new one, and Exodus with theirs but Exodus has kind of blanded it up a bit, and I dont like their new vocalist.

And redoing Bonded a THIRD time (yeah the last one was "live" but extensively overdubbed im sure)? Pure blasphemy.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next