Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:49 am 

I am currently trying to get my band "Desolate One" started up, but my main fear is that I won't stand out, and ultimately become a forgotten black metal band.

Black metal is my passion, I want nothing more than to have a successful band and create amazing music. I've tried to avoid lame cliches that I see in other bands, such as bands writing in Norwegian about winter even though they are from Fresno. I don't wear badly drawn corpse paint, and I don't dress up in homemade black metal gear to take pictures of myself in the forest. My wardrobe is usually jeans, long hair, a bullet belt, and my trusty Hellhammer t-shirt. I try not to act like a pseudo-misanthropist and I usually portray myself much like the modern versions of Fenriz or Nocturno Culto.

Musically, I play and record with acoustic drums instead of using a drum machine. I personally think that I have great guitar riffs. My lyrics are not about topics that I haven't been exposed to. (I don't talk about Norse mythology, or snow.) I also am looking to form a band with other people in order to play live.

Satanic Destroyer, Slaughter by the Scythe, and 666Satanic Army666 are PERFECT examples of what I do not want to become.

How does a musician stand out from the sea of wannabe Darkthrones?

Last edited by Nolan_B on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:55 am 

It really just comes down to how good your music is. Whether you take photos in frostbitten forests or not is of no concern. Just don't release anything until you think your music is really, REALLY good and highly original (although this is no gurantee, because your standard might be low). If you don't reach that level forever, then well, just don't get a myspace page at all, and you won't become "another shitty myspace band" at least.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:43 am 

It's not about how you act, it's about how you sound. If you write some arse-kicking metal, and then give it some exposure by advertising it here and elsewhere, you'll have the best chance.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 am 

And moreover, asking advice on a huge metal forum about on 'how not to become a shit myspace band' automatically qualifies you as a failure.

Think for your fucking selves, guys!

How are you going to manage your lives if you ask for advice on everything you do? So, to honestly answer your question, in order to 'not become a shit myspace band', either don't create a myspace, or don't start a band at all, it'll save us from future threads such as "how to be original" and "how to have filosofem guitar sound" and the like.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:18 am 

I think AurvandiL has the right answere here. The only reason I formed a myspace for my band in the first place was to get the name 'lvytn' on the internet so no on else could take it.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 pm 

AurvandiL wrote:
And moreover, asking advice on a huge metal forum about on 'how not to become a shit myspace band' automatically qualifies you as a failure.

Think for your fucking selves, guys!

How are you going to manage your lives if you ask for advice on everything you do? So, to honestly answer your question, in order to 'not become a shit myspace band', either don't create a myspace, or don't start a band at all, it'll save us from future threads such as "how to be original" and "how to have filosofem guitar sound" and the like.

I'm sure you've never needed help with anything ever.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 pm 

I sure did, but never asked.
edit: and yes, I did heaps of mistakes and errors, and released worthless stuff. But I learnt.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:25 pm 

The topic title is not really literal, it's tongue and cheek. All I hear is black metal fans complaining about how every modern band is run-of-the-mill and unimportant.

And I don't think it is just about the sonic sound of your music. There are many bands that have great riffs, vocals, and atmosphere, yet will not be remembered like Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor, or Darkthrone; even if they are superior. You have to have an interesting personality, or unique ideals. If not, you must be innovative. Bathory is in my top 10 favorite bands, but I don't think Quorthon would be such an iconic figure if he would've released Under the Sign of the Black Mark in 1999.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 pm 

The fact is, I have absolutely no feud toward you.
But be it music or attitude, asking about it on a forum sure isn't a good start.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:34 pm 

AurvandiL wrote:
The fact is, I have absolutely no feud toward you.
But be it music or attitude, asking about it on a forum sure isn't a good start.

I'm not going to base my entire life on something Kruel or any other veteran posts. I do, however, think that advice couldn't hurt, and I am interested as to why certain bands (good or bad) are completely forgotten or disrespected.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:48 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
I am interested as to why certain bands (good or bad) are completely forgotten or disrespected.

It's because a lot of these black metal bands sound the same and don't stand out from the crowd; same with all the millions of brutal death metal bands out there.

I don' think it's as much about image, you've got to find something original to put into the music.

For example, Akercocke balance black metal, death metal, jazz and even ambient parts. If they only did the black metal side, they wouldn't stand out but because they bring something new to it, they stand out. I think that's the key.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:55 pm 

Well, you have to be innovative. Just making music as good as Burzum in the same style is not enough. Because... why would people listen to it, when they already have Burzum?

The real problem, though, is that there are so many bands in the genre, and it is naturally harder to become well know. And it is simply impossible for you to become as famous as the pioneers, no matter how much you try, if you play black metal. For example, would a new thrash metal band be able to become as famous as Metallica or Slayer? No, not at all. Sure, thrash is more rigidly defined than black metal and the big names in thrash are much more famous than the big names in black metal, but the same idea still applies.

Personality, image, ideology, etc. doesn't really matter unless you make up an innovative philosophy that is previously unheard-of and insightful. Bathory wouldn't be iconic if UtSotBM were released in 1999 not because his personality wouldn't be interesting, but because it wouldn't be innovative or revolutionary. The non-musical aspect that matters the most could loosely be called luck.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 pm 

Yeah, just from your post here it just seems like you're focusing too much on image and not on music. As others have said, it makes no difference whether you take grim photos of yourself in the forest in corpsepaint or if you wear blue jeans. At the end of the day, that has absolutely no bearing on the music itself, which is what people will judge you by. Put your effort into making good music rather than worrying about your fashion sense or asking on forums how to not be just another MSBM band (because yes, that=fail). Let the music speak for itself. People will lke you or they won't like you, it's up to them.

Also, not sure about your whole motivation anyway, it is just your goal to become "well-known?" If the music is good, people who hear it will respect it.

Quote:
and I am interested as to why certain bands (good or bad) are completely forgotten or disrespected.

Usually because they either suck or are just ripping off someone else's sound, as has been said before.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 pm 

Music > All
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:39 pm 

circleofdestruction wrote:
Quote:
and I am interested as to why certain bands (good or bad) are completely forgotten or disrespected.

Usually because they either suck or are just ripping off someone else's sound, as has been said before.

Not necessarily - good and innovative bands can just be forgotten by bad luck.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm 

Kruel wrote:
circleofdestruction wrote:
Quote:

And vice versa - some shitty bands can get big just because they have nice hair.

I guess it is true that it comes down to luck in the end.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:14 pm 

Contrary to what a lot of you are talking about, image and presentation are VERY important.

It takes about 20 minutes to listen to a demo once. It takes seconds to look at a photo and dismiss a band. Most people are dumb and won't give a band or music a chance unless the image is appealing.

Xtremo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:04 pm 

mattp wrote:
Contrary to what a lot of you are talking about, image and presentation are VERY important.

It takes about 20 minutes to listen to a demo once. It takes seconds to look at a photo and dismiss a band. Most people are dumb and won't give a band or music a chance unless the image is appealing.

Yeah, unless they buy the demo first, which is what most metalheads I know do.

were they hot?

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:29 pm 

Kruel wrote:

I did use the word "usually," because I see this as common but not always the case.

NolanB wrote:
Black metal is my passion...

In which case you should just put it out there when you feel it's good enough, and like I said, people will like it or not. While people do pay attention to image, the music is still more important in the end.

nolanb wrote:
...I usually portray myself much like the modern versions of Fenriz or Nocturno Culto.

nolanb wrote:

I'd say begin by stopping your impersonations of Fenriz and NC. Sorry, couldn't help myself there...
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
I am currently trying to get my band "Desolate One" started up, but my main fear is that I won't stand out, and ultimately become a forgotten myspace black metal band.

Black metal is my passion, I want nothing more than to have a successful band and create amazing music. I've tried to avoid lame cliches that I see in other bands, such as bands writing in Norwegian about winter even though they are from Fresno. I don't wear badly drawn corpse paint, and I don't dress up in homemade black metal gear to take pictures of myself in the forest. My wardrobe is usually jeans, long hair, a bullet belt, and my trusty Hellhammer t-shirt. I try not to act like a pseudo-misanthropist and I usually portray myself much like the modern versions of Fenriz or Nocturno Culto.

Musically, I play and record with acoustic drums instead of using a drum machine. I personally think that I have great guitar riffs. My lyrics are not about topics that I haven't been exposed to. (I don't talk about Norse mythology, or snow.) I also am looking to form a band with other people in order to play live.

Satanic Destroyer, Slaughter by the Scythe, and 666Satanic Army666 are PERFECT examples of what I do not want to become.

Isn't Black Metal about NOT being accepted! ;)

Ha ha. . . sorry! :) Whos acceptance is it that you so badly crave for??? Fans or fellow Metal heads/bands?
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:55 pm 

My goal is just to last and be able to create music for decades. I want to spark interest (and not in the killing fellow band mates way) for years to come. I know that my post seems that I dwell too much on image, but music comes first, I'm just acknowledging the importance of the way you present yourself.

^^^My music doesn't even really sound like Darkthrone, but I look up to their uncompromising career and their morals. They don't give a shit what people want them to play, Darkthrone play what they want.

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:21 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
My goal is just to last and be able to create music for decades. I want to spark interest (and not in the killing fellow band mates way) for years to come. I know that my post seems that I dwell too much on image, but music comes first, I'm just acknowledging the importance of the way you present yourself.

^^^My music doesn't even really sound like Darkthrone, but I look up to their uncompromising career and their morals. They don't give a shit what people want them to play, Darkthrone play what they want.

The best thing to do is play from your own heart, and also play what you have the ability and talent to play! If you think its good, thats a step in the right direction, as who wants to play music they don't like, merely to satisfy others?

At the end of the day, if your material is strong, it WILL be noticed. . .it may take time, but why the hurry?

Nothing anyone here says can help you with your goal! That is up to the material you write to decide, and how you choose to develop as a musician.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:24 am 

Sentienth696 wrote:
At the end of the day, if your material is strong, it WILL be noticed

Not necessarily. Notice how we're still digging up "forgotten classics" from the 80s and 90s. It will be even harder to be noticed with the recent surge in the number of bands.

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:40 am 

Kruel wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

Not necessarily. Notice how we're still digging up "forgotten classics" from the 80s and 90s. It will be even harder to be noticed with the recent surge in the number of bands.

Ok. But the eventual chance of being heard is there if your material is strong.

Anyway. Myspace is the last thing people should rely on for major exposure! Just so happens that it is free and easy to access! I myself am guilty of this. Though, my only interest is in writing music I would listen to and enjoy myself, and if others like it at the same time, thats great! As long as the spark is there, I will continue to write. Predicting were one might be musically in a decade is a far cry IMHO.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 am 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

Anyway. Myspace is the last thing people should rely on for major exposure! Just so happens that it is free and easy to access! I myself am guilty of this. Though, my only interest is in writing music I would listen to and enjoy myself, and if others like it at the same time, thats great! As long as the spark is there, I will continue to write. Predicting were one might be musically in a decade is a far cry IMHO.

Actually, exposure to 250 million people seems worth the trouble as far as creating a Myspace account. The fatal flaw is relying on a tricked-out, custom layout when the music is inferior...See it far too often.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:08 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

Actually, exposure to 250 million people seems worth the trouble as far as creating a Myspace account. The fatal flaw is relying on a tricked-out, custom layout when the music is inferior...See it far too often.

Forming a 'Myspace' band, and then expecting exposure to 250 million people is ridiculous. I also disagree that the layout has anything to do with it, as any person searching for new music will judge the band mainly on this, not on their skills at setting up a fancy page! Myspace I find works more by word of mouth, so the more interesting the band, and better their material, they have more chance at receiving eventual exposure. I for one don't go out of my way to search the endless hordes of shitty one man myspace bands just because they are there, but I will check out recommendations from people I am in contact with.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:28 pm 

I don't think there's any ways to get above a completely local and underground status in black metal/death metal if you've only joined as of late. Everything to be done related to these genres has already been done and no matter how great your music is - it won't stand out. Spend less time advertising and try to spend most of your time on the music. On the off-chance you get picked up by a label, then you'll have your shot. And it'll probably take years before you get noticed from that point.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:31 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
I don't think there's any ways to get above a completely local and underground status in black metal/death metal if you've only joined as of late. Everything to be done related to these genres has already been done and no matter how great your music is - it won't stand out. Spend less time advertising and try to spend most of your time on the music. On the off-chance you get picked up by a label, then you'll have your shot. And it'll probably take years before you get noticed from that point.

Fairly put. Whatever the quality of your music, it will take some time before recognition.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 pm 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

Forming a 'Myspace' band, and then expecting exposure to 250 million people is ridiculous. I also disagree that the layout has anything to do with it, as any person searching for new music will judge the band mainly on this, not on their skills at setting up a fancy page! Myspace I find works more by word of mouth, so the more interesting the band, and better their material, they have more chance at receiving eventual exposure. I for one don't go out of my way to search the endless hordes of shitty one man myspace bands just because they are there, but I will check out recommendations from people I am in contact with.

There are ~250 million Myspace accounts, I was simply trying to put the volume of the audience in perspective...Agree to disagree..

Last.fm

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:48 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

There are ~250 million Myspace accounts, I was simply trying to put the volume of the audience in perspective...Agree to disagree..

Yeah I agree on the volume of the potential audience! It is huge! How far you end up going but, and the amount of notice you receive is up to how good your material is! That was the main point I was trying to make.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 pm 

Sentienth696 wrote:
Yeah I agree on the volume of the potential audience! It is huge! How far you end up going but, and the amount of notice you receive is up to how good your material is! That was the main point I was trying to make.

Good music helps a lot, but in reality, how far you go will depend on how much money you can spend on advertising.

Why do you think A7X is so popular?

accidentalholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Black metal is my passion, I want nothing more than to have a successful band and create amazing music. I've tried to avoid lame cliches that I see in other bands, such as bands writing in Norwegian about winter even though they are from Fresno.

heres my two cents although most of this has been said before:
if its your passion then you should be playing it to make YOU happy not the myspace community. but if you really want to have a successful band why dont you spend several hours a day writing and listening to different styles of music and create some amazing innovative shit that comes from your heart. and who cares about a band in a warm area writing about winter? maybe they try to make their music's atmosphere resemble that of a cold dark forest or some shit, just focus on your own lyrics.

"My lyrics are not about topics that I haven't been exposed to."
what have you been exposed to as a 14 year old caucasian boy living in california? are you going to write lyrics about last weeks math test?

cause varg really knew a sea snake right?

sorry if this turned out to be a rant but you should get your priorities in order.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:21 am 

accidentalholocaust wrote:
what have you been exposed to as a 14 year old caucasian boy living in california? are you going to write lyrics about last weeks math test?

:lol: You got me, but the point I was trying make is that I don't write about things that have nothing to do with me. If I was to write Ea, Lord of the Depths, it would be okay, but I shouldn't write about Ragnarok and Oden because I do not have any Norse heritage. American history is appropriate depending on how it's done. (not in the Slave Whipping Blasphemy way).

I wish I would've never mentioned Myspace. Like I said, it was tongue-and-cheek. The only reason I have a Myspace is to get in contact with gig promoters, and to search for live musicians.

And my age shouldn't come into play. I'm not claiming to have any wisdom at all, but I do know that I live in a fair amount of isolation. A town quite midland and north with a population of less than 500. Come to think about it, I could talk about winter, there is a ski park about 1 hour away from my town. And, I am home schooled with a computer-based program, which means that I don't see kids my age very often.

Also, yes I am a caucasian boy.

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
I am currently trying to get my band "Desolate One" started up, but my main fear is that I won't stand out, and ultimately become a forgotten black metal band.

First I'd like to say that certain people on this thread are being a bit unfair. It's fine to ask for advice/help from time to time.

Secondly... I think I've found your main problem. When you say "Satanic Destroyer, Slaughter by the Scythe, and 666Satanic Army666 are PERFECT examples of what I do not want to become." your starting to head down the wrong track. If you want to stand out, the last thing you should be doing is getting majorly influenced by other bands. Avoiding influences completely is pretty much impossible, but originality is the key I think. Make your own sound/image, without relying too much on other bands/band members. Of course your music has to rock too, but that goes without saying. :)

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:45 am 

I don't think there's anything wrong with being majorly influenced by other bands. I know every once in a while I'll hear something and think "Man, I'd love to do something kind of like THAT." Obviously in the end I'm going to filter it through my style, but I think it's important to observe the bands you love and figure out what it is they're doing that makes them successful at writing songs.

accidentalholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 am 

Nolan_B wrote:

:lol: You got me, but the point I was trying make is that I don't write about things that have nothing to do with me. If I was to write Ea, Lord of the Depths, it would be okay, but I shouldn't write about Ragnarok and Oden because I do not have any Norse heritage. American history is appropriate depending on how it's done. (not in the Slave Whipping Blasphemy way).

I wish I would've never mentioned Myspace. Like I said, it was tongue-and-cheek. The only reason I have a Myspace is to get in contact with gig promoters, and to search for live musicians..

one of the biggest positive things about myspace music is that it allows you and a band across the world to share music instantly, which can spread your music across a vast range of places.

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 pm 

one of the biggest positive things about myspace music is that it allows you and a band across the world to share music instantly, which can spread your music across a vast range of places.

Plus its a good way to keep others who are interested in your music updated with whats going on (e.g. bullitins, blogs, etc)

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:20 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Black metal is my passion, I want nothing more than to have a successful band and create amazing music.

The only noteworthy advice I can give it is: quit talking about it and just do it.

What do you mean by success - money, fame, notoriety? Friend, if metal is your passion - you are in the wrong genre for any of these. Heavy metal, in general, is one the most unsuccessful and thankless genres. While the pleasure and admiration of the dedicated fans are where the true success and pleasure are at - this is not something that will give you a steady paycheck, pay your bills, or make you look like a credible or respectable musician in non-metaller's eyes. I personally don't care about any of the aforementioned - my aim is to simply create music I like and that others will understand and enjoy as well.

In terms of setting yourself apart, you have to not ask for advice. Simply, do what YOU feel sets you apart. A true individualist will do what they feel necessary for advancement, not take opinions simply based on a lack of knowledge. If you feel that you have great compositional skill then that shall speak for itself.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Black metal is my passion, I want nothing more than to have a successful band and create amazing music.

The only noteworthy advice I can give it is: quit talking about it and just do it.

What do you mean by success - money, fame, notoriety? Friend, if metal is your passion - you are in the wrong genre for any of these. Heavy metal, in general, is one the most unsuccessful and thankless genres. While the pleasure and admiration of the dedicated fans are where the true success and pleasure are at - this is not something that will give you a steady paycheck, pay your bills, or make you look like a credible or respectable musician in non-metaller's eyes. I personally don't care about any of the aforementioned - my aim is to simply create music I like and that others will understand and enjoy as well.

In terms of setting yourself apart, you have to not ask for advice. Simply, do what YOU feel sets you apart. A true individualist will do what they feel necessary for advancement, not take opinions simply based on a lack of knowledge. If you feel that you have great compositional skill then that shall speak for itself.

This is by far the truest, and best advice that has been posted so far in this thread.

accidentalholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:58 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

amen

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next