Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:51 am 

I saw the tea thread a little down the page, and was thus inspired to make this one. Mainly because I drink far more coffee than tea.

Anyways, I've been on the lookout for better brands/blends of coffee. I've actually found Dunkin Donuts's brand to be pretty good. Not the shit they serve at the locations, but the ground stuff they sell. However, recently I ate at Giordano's (damn good stuffed pizza), and had a phenomenal pot of coffee. I think the brand they use is called Koko's? I've got a sample of it sitting in my room somewhere.

Also, I'm interested in how people enjoy their bean brew. Personally, I feel that anything not worth drinking black isn't worth drinking at all, but I'm curious as to what the rest of the metal community thinks.

Oh yeah, and Starbucks sucks. Fuck your $4 cups of watered-down shit.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:09 pm 

At my work we have an industrial coffee grinder and an industrial brewer. It's awesome. We buy local beans that come in a variety from straight up Colombian to African Cinnamon. Everyday I get freshly ground and brewed coffee.

I haven't had commercially produced coffee or beans in a long time, other than a necessary caffeine kick during a road trip from gas station coffee, usually Holiday. The Holiday coffee is OK I guess, but compared to the fresh stuff I get everyday, it's small beans. :D

Also around here (Twin Cities, MN), we have Caribou Coffee which is an eco-friendly version of Starbucks, and their coffee is not nearly as offensive.

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 pm 

I'm more into the frozen stuff, and I think Starbucks has pretty good ground stuff.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm 

Almost everybody who works with computers regularily will start drinking copious amounts of coffee sooner or later. I am no exception.

I drink a lot of coffee now, after despising it most of my life. It's now hard for me to understand why. Coffee is awesome. The stronger it is, the better.

No fucking milk or sugar. That's gay pussy shit and the coffee equivialent of nu metal (nu coffee?).
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:47 pm 

Meh, I don't do hard drugs.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Daathian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:32 pm 

I am very fond of Starbuck's Sumatra. If you like extra bold blends of coffee, I would highly recommend it.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 pm 

No, my coffee intake is still un metal like the poster above. Lots of cream, lots of sugar. I only drink it when Im tired as fuck and cant drive.

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:41 pm 

Normally, I just fill the filter with whatever grounds we have and go from there. It's almost like tar, but it works and I personally love the taste off overbearingly strong coffee.
But, at the moment, as my coffee maker's broken (I'm probably going to get a french press), I have to drink that instant shit, and there is no making that taste decent.
And, I also love mixing black coffee with whiskey. I usually do half and half. I love it, but my girlfriend and none of my friends can seem to even stomach the idea, though.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:55 pm 

boxoxob wrote:
I'm probably going to get a french press

Do yourself a favour and buy a moka.

From my experience the only decent coffee is italian coffee; maybe I just went to the wrong places, but whenever I drank it abroad they served me watered down shit or stuff that just didn't taste right.

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 pm 

Qwerr wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

I actually used to have one of those, but my ex-girlfriend took it.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:23 pm 

I don't brew my own coffee, but there is a good coffee place called Ava Roasteria and they have good coffee there.
I always get white chocolate-type stuff. But I also like black coffee.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:15 pm 

I don't know how people can drink coffee without milk. Sugar is, of course, disgusting in coffee unless it's iced or something.

nahsil wrote:

Yeah, more than 1 cup a day screws me around with sleep and makes me irritable. I'm convinced that caffeine is a lot more harmful than people realize.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 pm 

Community Coffee dark roast
cold drippy style
delicious.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:18 pm 

I actually just had a cup, though it was my first in months. I drink coffee on occassion but not daily.

It was really good, some organic kind, and I used one of those old tin drip coffee makers. It wasn't very metal, though, lots of vanilla creamer and sugar.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:22 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

What the hell is wrong with you?

7h1m0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:39 pm 

Has anyone ever tried the Full Throttle Coffee? It's surprisingly good. It's probably bad for you like nothing else, but I don't drink it for a boost or anything, I just do it because it taste good. Never felt I needed coffee to get threw the day.

fishman3226
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:13 am 

Isnt it more about the species of the plant from which you get the bean from rather than the blend? I know the Viets are growing shit coffee and that in some areas of the world there can be four or more species grown.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:00 am 

Funny observations about coffee. Like all coffee lovers, I prefer quality, whole bean coffee that I grind just before brewing. But when I'm in a fix, even lousy coffee will do just fine. I suppose it's a bit like having stale weed or no weed at all. I always drink it black, btw. I can't imagine why people would ruin their coffee with cream/sugar/milk. It's no longer coffee at that point.

I like to buy the large containers at Trader Joe's. Organic French Roast is a favorite of mine. I buy the decaf so I can justify having lots of it every morning without getting so wired. Getting wired every once in a while is fine, but it's too much after a while and my fingers with shake slightly all day long. Plus it's no fun to crash out when you have to work all day.

Best coffee I've ever had was from Badass Coffee company. They operate out of Maui, but they also have a store in Oregon which I've had the pleasure of having their real Kona. It was amazing stuff! I'm pretty sure they sell online if anyone's curious.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:00 am 

My preferred brew would be organic Sumatra (lots of the stuff, I like it to have real flavor) processed with a French press. I usually take it with whiskey, if anything, but a bit of cream/half & half is good from time to time.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Scipio333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 am 

I like my coffee just like I like my metal, added to the water while its boiling, then with some thick cream added to it to form the heart shape thing, two packets of suga...no wait, black, I meant black!

On a serious note, I do drink coffee, Turkish coffee mostly (a favorite among Arabs), with the occasional hint of cardamom. I do drink tea almost as much. Tea goes with breakfast and dinner, while coffee is with cigarettes.

And to the guy who mentioned that coffee is essential to those who work with computers, now that I think about it, the guy who got me hooked on coffee is doing computer science at university.

Any other Turkish coffee drinkers here?

Last edited by Scipio333 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabid_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:33 am 

boxoxob wrote:
And, I also love mixing black coffee with whiskey. I usually do half and half. I love it, but my girlfriend and none of my friends can seem to even stomach the idea, though.

Irish coffee good shit. Try mixing it with a decent rum, my old man swears by it and he's a 10 - 12 cups a day man. Obviously not all of them have rum in them.

SatanicSounds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:44 am 

Starbucks does water down their coffee, but the Pike Place Roast is far from watered down.

Well, personally, I am a huge coffee buff and I'm quite strict with my coffee.

I use a French Press, always! Brands really mean nothing. It all really depends on the kind of coffee you drink. Personally, I like Columbian, Kona, Blue Mountain, and the very expensive Kopi Luwak (I got it as a present for Christmas two years ago, and now I buy 50 grams for $50 every two months, really amazing stuff.)

I put mine in a french press, 2 tablespoons per 6 oz of water. 195 degree water, exactly, then left in the press for exactly 2 minutes, thirty seconds.

I only take my coffee black.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:01 pm 

I like my coffe simple only with sugar, I don't mind the brand or the source... I hate starbucks

Vansoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:56 pm 

Scipio333 wrote:
I like my coffee just like I like my metal, added to the water while its boiling, then with some thick cream added to it to form the heart shape thing, two packets of suga...no wait, black, I meant black!

On a serious note, I do drink coffee, Turkish coffee mostly (a favorite among Arabs), with the occasional hint of cardamom. I do drink tea almost as much. Tea goes with breakfast and dinner, while coffee is with cigarettes.

And to the guy who mentioned that coffee is essential to those who work with computers, now that I think about it, the guy who got me hooked on coffee is doing computer science at university.

I've recently got quite into it, although I'm unsure if I am preparing it correctly. Tastes best with a cardomon pod I believe.

I use a french press for regular coffee, usually go for the bolder blends like Sumatra or Kona. I usually use sugar cubes as well, one cube for a large cup of coffee.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm 

Somehow, I am the only person in the family who hates coffee.

DloppyFick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:58 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Somehow, I am the only person in the family who hates coffee.

I can relate. To me its just yucky, poopy water. Unless it has a truckload of sugar in it :P I'm still that "OMFG VAULT IS THE BEST DRINK EVER MADE" kind of guy, regardless of the fact that it makes me shit funny.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:19 am 

I vary my coffee drinking. Sometimes I put cream in it, and sometimes I just go black. Also I think soy milk tastes really freakin good in coffee. Anyone else try this?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:25 am 

I like coffee and drink a few cups every morning. Never understood why people would want to put milk or sugar in their coffee, but I guess it's just a matter of taste ...

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:05 am 

DGYDP wrote:
I like coffee and drink a few cups every morning. Never understood why people would want to put milk or sugar in their coffee, but I guess it's just a matter of taste ...
It's just preference. Milk/cream takes off a bit of the edge.

I like all the dick waving in this thread about how gay it is to put milk or sugar into your coffee. Seriously, you sound like a bunch of 13 year olds trying to look tough for your older brother and his friends. You guys want some cigs, too? We can go and loiter at the mall.

Vansoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:43 pm 

I don't think anyone is implying that it's "gay" to put milk or sugar in coffee, merely that they don't like it that way.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:56 pm 

Vansoth wrote:
I don't think anyone is implying that it's "gay" to put milk or sugar in coffee, merely that they don't like it that way.

I believe I was the first one to write that it was gay. It was mostly intended as a joke though. :p

That aside, I still prefer it black, and I still think that putting milk/cream/sugar in regular coffee ( as in I don't include cappuccino, caffe latte and other such types of more special coffee) ruins it.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:07 pm 

boxoxob wrote:
Qwerr wrote:
boxoxob wrote:

I actually used to have one of those, but my ex-girlfriend took it.

I have one, and it's fucking awesome. I have a double espresso every morning at work from the machine and it tastes like sour mud, but at home I break out the stovetop thing. I've currently got a bag of Whittard's Brazilian-Javan blend open, 'tis very good.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 pm 

Coffee without milk and sugar is foul, undrinkable swill.

I drank a lot more tea and hot chocolates than I did coffee but I recently took a liking to it... before that, I only consumed coffee-flavoured products (iced coffee, coffee ice cream, cake, etc.) without the hot beverage itself.

I am trying not to become an addict though, my own quota is at 3 per week max. :p At work we have an Espresso machine, so, free coffee for everyone. Once in a while, it's enjoyable, especially with a freshly baked croissant or muffin.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Coffee without milk and sugar is foul, undrinkable swill.

I drank a lot more tea and hot chocolates than I did coffee but I recently took a liking to it... before that, I only consumed coffee-flavoured products (iced coffee, coffee ice cream, cake, etc.) without the hot beverage itself.

I am trying not to become an addict though, my own quota is at 3 per week max. :p At work we have an Espresso machine, so, free coffee for everyone. Once in a while, it's enjoyable, especially with a freshly baked croissant or muffin.

Agreed, I like a good cup of joe every now and then but unless it has sugar and creamer, it is not even worth it. There are alot of great coffee chains popping up that specialize in their own blends and additives. Alot of them try to compete with Starbucks for the coffeehouse trends but at least there varieties.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:04 am 

Coffee is the greatest non-alcoholic drink ever invented... as long as it doesn't have cream or sugar in it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:50 am 

yum.

i'm a huge fan. my usual is either a large flat-white with an extra shot, or a large latte bowl, with an extra shot. coffee rules. i recommend investing in a "coffee card" if youve found a favourite, and reliable spot.

personally, i have the city's "arty" "hipster" orientated place, and an italian deli just nearby, not to mention a shitload of other coffee places. (ive heard this city has the most cafes and restaurants per capita in the world). the italian deli does fucking awesome coffee, where you can tell from the taste that the baristas know their shit. still, i think coffees too expensive, like $4 for a drink, come on!!!!!!!

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:22 am 

I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. I'm a pot a day kind of drinker (one sugar) and if I don't have a least a couple cups a day I get the withdrawal headache. As for what kind, I'm not fussy. As long as it's brown, has caffeine, and isn't instant I'll drink just about any swill to get my fix.

Dreadnaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:58 pm 

Scipio333 wrote:

Isn't Turkish coffee mad friggin' strong?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 pm 

I guess coffees okay, but I vastly prefer tea. I only drink around 2 cups a week, and I usually put one of those little creamer things in it.

ScottMcCurdy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:00 pm 

i like my coffee like i like my metal
black

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next