Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm 

I just got a new logo for my band, much better than the one I made on my computer. Only problem is, the person who made it for me drew it, then scanned it in...so, when I open it in Illustrator/Photoshop, there is a white box around it. This is where the problem lies. None of my album covers have a completely black or white area where I could put the logo and hide the box around it. Is there any way around this, to remove the box?

thanks

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
I just got a new logo for my band, much better than the one I made on my computer. Only problem is, the person who made it for me drew it, then scanned it in...so, when I open it in Illustrator/Photoshop, there is a white box around it. This is where the problem lies. None of my album covers have a completely black or white area where I could put the logo and hide the box around it. Is there any way around this, to remove the box?

thanks

If you're using photoshop, you can usually use the lasso tool to get rid of large areas like that.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:57 pm 

secretninja wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

thanks

If you're using photoshop, you can usually use the lasso tool to get rid of large areas like that.

Magnetic? I thought of that. It'd take a while, but would probably work I guess. I'll try it out. (again, the problem is it's a fairly big and squiggly logo, but I'll try)

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 pm 

trimmed it down reasonably, now ran into another problem. Once I save it it photoshop, I still want to open it in illustrator, which is where I make covers/put them together. Once opened in Illustrator, the original problem occurs.

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:22 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
trimmed it down reasonably, now ran into another problem. Once I save it it photoshop, I still want to open it in illustrator, which is where I make covers/put them together. Once opened in Illustrator, the original problem occurs.

Hey dude, I'm sorry, but that's all I really know. I used to fool around with Photoshop, so that's all I can give you.

Good luck with your cover, man, and follow your dreeaaams.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:54 am 

it would probably be best to actually take this question to a photoshop forum.

we metalheads are computer-dumb.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 pm 

wasteful wrote:
it would probably be best to actually take this question to a photoshop forum.

we metalheads are computer-dumb.

Hey, not true, or who runs this website?

I did find a illustrator/photoshop forum, this is much easier than having to trace around the wiggly letters. Simply use the magic eraser tool, it deletes the background easily. If anyone else needs me to go into more detail, I will, but again, it's very easy to do.

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm 

To trim the white edges use the "magic wand" tool, click somewhere in the white border and ctrl+X to cut it. You'll be left with just the logo.

Save this as a .gif and make sure the "Transparency" check box has a tick in it at the save options. This should open up in illustrator without the white border, (I think...!).

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:34 pm 

VRR wrote:
To trim the white edges use the "magic wand" tool, click somewhere in the white border and ctrl+X to cut it. You'll be left with just the logo.

Save this as a .gif and make sure the "Transparency" check box has a tick in it at the save options. This should open up in illustrator without the white border, (I think...!).

tried this, the magic wand wasn't the answer for me. I used the magic eraser, set to 10, contagious unchecked. Clicked once, box gone (and all white behind text).

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 pm 

It's a good idea to have a file of your logo drawn in paths (the pen tool) with detail. It's tedious but even if I lost everything I'd still have a CD I burnt with this file, meaning I have my band's logo as big as I need to without losing any kind of resolution.

If you've not used paths before basically it's like plotting points. It remembers where the points are plotted in relation to each other so you can make the image much much larger without stretching and losing quality.

Of course if your logo is extremely complicated and squiggly this might prove very difficult to trace paths around.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:33 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
It's a good idea to have a file of your logo drawn in paths (the pen tool) with detail. It's tedious but even if I lost everything I'd still have a CD I burnt with this file, meaning I have my band's logo as big as I need to without losing any kind of resolution.

If you've not used paths before basically it's like plotting points. It remembers where the points are plotted in relation to each other so you can make the image much much larger without stretching and losing quality.

Of course if your logo is extremely complicated and squiggly this might prove very difficult to trace paths around.

Exactly,my logo was fairly squiggly, so I just used the magic eraser. Even if it wasn't, I'd use it anyway...just one click, that's it.

sarcophagid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:51 pm 

To get your logo all white/black, just raise the contrast and lower the brightness. That should also aid you in getting rid of that line around your logo.

I would just zoom in and manually erase the line.

Ancestral - "Fall" track:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wv2k2tekx6o

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:29 am 

By far the easiest way to select logos is to use the 'select color range' tool. If the logo's black on white, just select all the black and bang, slap it wherever you like.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.