Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:57 pm 

Does anyone in this room have connections with any famous metal musicians and if so who is it and how did you get connected with them? Are you part of an up and coming semi-famous band but have not told anyone yet? Is anyone in here actually in a famous band? Did you work for a famous band as a roadie or sound technician?

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:41 pm 

I've opened for Turisas and Norther with my band, soon to open for Tyr, Hollenthon and Grave Digger. We have no connections, that's what booking agents are for. I can't imagine the hell people have to go through to get their crappy band as the opening act on a bill.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:12 pm 

i havent, but my guitarist and bassist's other band opened for symphony x last year, and my guitarists other other band opened for candlemass 2 months ago

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:22 pm 

We opened up for Massemord, not the most famous band but hell, people have heard of them.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 am 

we haven't really yet, but the singer from my band opened for Arkona (Rus) with his other band.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:17 am 

My previous band warmed up for Ram-Zet, it was just them and us, I was totally amazed by that because I'm a huge fan of that band! :D Actually, the evening was split in 2, one gig for the kids and one for the ones over 18, and at the kids' concerts, Ram-Zet sort of warmed up for us, then the other way around. :P They've always warmed up for bigger bands like Enslaved after I quit. My current band can perhaps be the warm-up band for Pantheon I on their European tour, their drummer saw one of our gigs and was impressed. :)

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:57 am 

My friend opens to Symphony X since he knows one of the band members.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 pm 

My band (The Vala) just opened for Iced Earth and Into Eternity last night.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

hellasson1896
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:26 pm 

I don't know if this consitutes as "famous" or not, but me and a friend spent a few days hanging out with a member of Blood Stained Dusk.

It was a pretty big deal to us, hanging out with a dude from a black metal group from Alabama.... with PEST on vokills!

Brutal few days....

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 pm 

To answer the OP, no I haven't but I know a few women that have.

firescarredmartyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:13 pm 

I've opened for 3 Inches of Blood (three times actually), Bison, Exhumed, The Gorgeous, A Javelin Reign, The End, some hardcore bands who were apparently pretty reknowned.

We never had any exceptional "connections" per se, guys in our band played in bands with guys from The Gorgeous and A Javelin Reign, I did some tape-trading with Justin from 3 Inches of Blood back when he played in Allfather, he got us our first gig opening for them.

I generally have a hard time being all buddy buddy with people in other bands, as did everyone else in the band, which probably prevented us from getting more shows than we did.

When we played with The End, it was just us and them playing, and pretty much everyone who came to see us (maybe 40 people) all left after we played, and The End played to 8 people, including the members of our band. We ended up going to the peelers with them after the show, and they turned out to be pretty cool guys.

Everyone that I've met in all of the above bands turned out to be genuinely good, rather normal people, no rock-star egos or outrageous party animals amonst the lot of them.

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm 

with my band, we open for semi-famous band like Kataklysm, Despised Icon, Icantation, Skinless, Misery Index.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Hey you guys added my personal MySpace a while back.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm 

LordOminous wrote:
I've opened for Turisas and Norther with my band, soon to open for Tyr, Hollenthon and Grave Digger. We have no connections, that's what booking agents are for. I can't imagine the hell people have to go through to get their crappy band as the opening act on a bill.

I heard a rumor you're playing on America's Paganfest II sometime next year? Could this be true?!?

blackpage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:10 pm 

We got to open for Lair of the Minotaur, Early Man and Darkest Hour in the last few months. Good times :D

Soulfly is coming up... Looking forward to playing to some Sepultura fans hopefully.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
LordOminous wrote:

I heard a rumor you're playing on America's Paganfest II sometime next year? Could this be true?!?

I believe we are going stateside next year, but not as part as Paganfest.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 pm 

I will buy like 3 shirts if you come to Atlanta, GA! :P

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am 

As Diamhea has said previously - we just opened for Iced Earth to an extremely positive reception (our 4th show). We have quite a few connections (Zach Gibson - Gutrot and Mutilated to name a few of his projects) and we're going to be playing with Book of Black Earth (Prosthetic Records) next week. We focus on doing the work ourselves instead of hiring corn hole touring managers who will put you on a bill with anything that says "heavy metal" over here in the US. The Detroit scene is thriving quite well as a hot bed for music (shitty or not) so I wouldn't be surprised if the influx of bands to creep past the pile of shitty dime a dozen local acts over the next decade are from this area. Check it: www.myspace.com/thevala

Misainzig wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Did you enjoy it?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 am 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Did you enjoy it?
The leads/solos in Amidst the All Consuming Flame were damn good. They were something that stuck in my head for a little over an hour, which I can't say about very much music. (I can still remember one crystal clear)

Being a rhythm guitar player myself, I found the rhythm playing to be strong. The drumming was also very well done, despite not being the most original I've heard. I was surprised to hear blast-beats though, which I liked. The keyboards were fairly tasteful. The only real gripe I had was that the vocals are a little too low, but from what I could hear, they were pretty powerful, and I like the harsh multi-layers.

Overall, you guys have a fun sound.

So yes, I did enjoy it.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am 

Misainzig wrote:
thewitchfinder wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Did you enjoy it?
The leads/solos in Amidst the All Consuming Flame were damn good. They were something that stuck in my head for a little over an hour, which I can't say about very much music. (I can still remember one crystal clear)

Being a rhythm guitar player myself, I found the rhythm playing to be strong. The drumming was also very well done, despite not being the most original I've heard. I was surprised to hear blast-beats though, which I liked. The keyboards were fairly tasteful. The only real gripe I had was that the vocals are a little too low, but from what I could hear, they were pretty powerful, and I like the harsh multi-layers.

Overall, you guys have a fun sound.

So yes, I did enjoy it.

Cool man. Glad you enjoyed it. We recorded that on a thin budget using the resources we had available - and I myself have my own gripes (one definitely being my vocals being low) but what can you do? I'm excited to get into a professional studio at the beginning of the year to redo all of that plus more.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:13 am 

You guys that are opening for these bigger metal acts, post your myspace so we can hear your music! :D

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:56 am 

I haven't personally however a friend of mine opened for Firewind once upon a time, not to mention a few other well known power metal bands. For some reason they declined opening for Sonata Arctica one show because they were playing a gig at a small club or something that night. :confused:

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 pm 

mattp wrote:
You guys that are opening for these bigger metal acts, post your myspace so we can hear your music! :D

www.myspace.com/thevala

Your stuff sounds good man. Reminds me a lot of the more progressive era of Death - my favorite!

accidentalholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 pm 

A friend of mine opened up for Sodom, Overkill, and The Faceless.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 am 

My band has opened for Unearth, Burry The Dead, As Blood Runs Black, Emmure, Dance Club Massacre, They TOny Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Alife Once Lost, Catalepsy. Not the best bands in the world but its something I can say we've done.

We had the chance to open for Origin, Dying Fetus, and Obituary but couldnt play the show. FUCK.. I wish we did play that show.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:00 am 

RevBau wrote:
My band has opened for Unearth, Burry The Dead, As Blood Runs Black, Emmure, Dance Club Massacre, They TOny Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Alife Once Lost, Catalepsy. Not the best bands in the world but its something I can say we've done.

That's like the who's who of who you DON'T want to play with...

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 am 

The_Boss wrote:
RevBau wrote:

That's like the who's who of who you DON'T want to play with...

Ah oh shit, that reminds me, we played with Job for a Cowboy and Bring Me the Horizon once. Oh god that was horrible.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 am 

JfaC:"BREE BREE BREEEEEEEEEEE"

BMtH: "CHUG CHUG CHUG"

Crowd: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

You: "SO WE'RE GONNA SING SOME SONGS ABOUT PIRA-.... FUCK."

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 am 

:lol: pretty much

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am 

I've had the misfortune of seeing JFAC twice and it was fucking terrible, I feel bad for you.

But, alas, I hope you come to my city with good support I'll definitely be there!

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 pm 

LordOminous, if you guys do make it to the states next year hopefully you'll turn up in the Massachusettes area. :hail:

MasticateTheNecro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 pm 

Local bands Witness the Reckoning and Beaten to Death have played shows with Dark Funeral, Carnifex, Obituary, Unleashed, Daath, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, and a shit load of others.

livercage wrote:
..but what did the mind actually mean behind the meaning of pointing out the point...

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 pm 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
LordOminous, if you guys do make it to the states next year hopefully you'll turn up in the Massachusettes area. :hail:

I'm sure we will. It's a very badly kept secret that we're doing a full US/Canada tour in late springtime.

Hyper_Beam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:50 am 

Stormalv wrote:
Ram-Zet sort of warmed up for us, then the other way around.

LOL so queer. :D

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:05 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
To answer the OP, no I haven't but I know a few women that have.

HYUK HYUK HYUK

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:25 pm 

LordOminous wrote:

I'm sure we will. It's a very badly kept secret that we're doing a full US/Canada tour in late springtime.

If you play Atlanta, GA, get me to open for you! :D

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 am 

LordOminous wrote:

Dude, please - for the love of metal - please say that you are coming to Winnipeg! Or somewhere driving distance. Me and one of my guitarists in my bands are huge fans, and he'd shit himself, no jokes!

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:34 am 

My band has opened for Overkill, Motorhead, Gamma Ray, Thin Lizzy, Iron Savior, Doro (twice). Opening for Edguy / Kamelot in three or so weeks and Vicious Rumors in November.

Also played shows with Wolf and Ross The Boss and Blitzkrieg.

From what I hear though, we suck. haha

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:16 pm 

mattp wrote:
LordOminous wrote:

If you play Atlanta, GA, get me to open for you! :D

Alas, all the bands are organised. I think we're the supporting band, with Tyr as the headliner.

Evisceration1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:04 pm 

mattp wrote:

Ah sweet i have you guys added on facebook. I asked awhile back on how to download your album from that one website..

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next