Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metalkyle9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 am 

I gotta say, Metallica-Metal Militia. Now, if only Metallica had stayed true to the marches...

kris_dobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:07 am 

Tantalus wrote:
King Diamond - Black Horsemen from Abigail is probably my favourite 'epic last track' ever - it's just incredible. Granted, the lyrics make no sense without the rest of the album, but it's just monu-fucking-mental.

I agree. The solo at the end is so fucking amazing. I love how it builds to it then it just blows you away.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 am 

The ending track plays an enormous role in a well constructed album, I think. Most times - at least in the type of music I like the most - the ending track should be full of emotion and include the climax of the entire album, as opposed to the opener, which should be fast-paced and set the mood for the album.

Out of the ones that I can recall as of now, these are my favourites:

Isis - Garden of Light (In the Absence of Truth)
Omnium Gatherum - It Shines (Spirits And August Light)
Drudkh - Ukrainian Insurgent Army (Blood In Our Wells)
Amorphis - Summer's End (Tuonela)
Crippled Black Phoenix - Sharks & Storms/Blizzard Of Horned Cats (A Love of Shared Disasters)
Summoning - A Distant Flame Before the Sun (Stronghold)

Garden of Light especially is an incredible closer track, or at least the second half of the song.

Sometimes, the closer can work as a transition between the mood of the album and silence that follows, if you know what I mean. In this case, the closer should be quiet and calm. Ballads also work well as closers if they're done well. Here are a few examples of such closers:

Opeth - Weakness (Damnation)
Drudkh - The First Snow (Autumn Aurora)

Then there are good tracks that are also closing tracks, but that don't seem any better because of their placement in the tracklist (such as Echoes by Pink Floyd and En Ås In Dype Skogen by Darkthrone).

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 am 

The first thing that comes in mind for me is Slayer's "Reign In Blood" with their final track "Raining Blood," or at least I think it was the final track, it has been a while since I gave the album a good listen. I do just remember that when Raining Blood started, I was mind blown.

KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 am 

Manowar - Blood of the Kings
This absolute monster is so ridiculously ostentatious it never fails to astound. Pompous, arrogant, unhinged, triumphant, and spraying testosterone over all the unbelievers - as metal as it gets.

King Diamond - Lucy Forever
The awful production makes KD sound like a shrieking little girl, but given the twisted story it makes perfect sense. The climax is bizzare and brilliantly finishes KD's most underrated album.

Mithras - Beyond the eyes of man
These guys, and especially this album [Worlds Beyond the Veil], simply don't get the credit they deserve. Top notch musicianship, a really odd 'spacey' sound, and the kind of epic Morbid Angel could only dream of writing.

Emperor - The Wanderer
Yes, it's only a three or so minute instrumental, but it manages to be both despairing and hopeful, galaxy striding epic and intensely personal.

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:14 am 

"The Reign of Shemsu-Hor" on Behemoth's Demigod album. The beginning march just builds up to this epic death metal titan of a song, the solos are absolutely stunning and the acoustic outro just leaves you lying there, hopelessly awaiting your death.

Truly an awesome song to end an awesome album.

Oh, and MikeyC I completely agree with you on Anaal Nathrakh's "Castigation and Betrayal". The first time I heard that song, I was just sitting there in shock for a good 15 seconds after it ended. Holy shit.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 am 

The two tracks I'd definitely mention would be "Grinning Mouths" on the end of Isis' Panopticon- once it gets going it's a very rousing and epic song, possibly the only "big riffs" that the album has, just massive rocking out and soaring vocals times. Also, Summoning's Farewell at the end of Mortal Heroes is pretty cool. The clean vocals (for the first time :O ), the general extremely overblown epicness. A huge ending, that fittingly sums up that album and the band in general.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:45 pm 

Kruel wrote:
The last song of Gorgoroth's Pentagram - Måneskyggens Slave - is utterly amazing. The best song on the album by far (and that's telling a lot, being on that album). It's perfect as a closer because the song itself keeps building up toward that riff appearing near the end and then it builds around that riff (with new riffs being introduced as well), never letting the tension go away until the song (and the album) actually ends.

This. Same for Antichrist.

Some others:

Ulver - Bergtatt

Abigor - Opus IV

Slayer - Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood

Death - Individual Thought Patterns

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

Cryptopsy - None So Vile (run home and cry to mama!)

diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

Metallica - ...And Justice for All

Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta 1

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Opeth - To Bid You Farewell

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm 

The title track from 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' by Mayhem, I mainly love it for the intro riff and Atillas rather amusing wailing.

Rivendar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:18 pm 

Alice in Chain's has always had some Amazing Closing tracks on their albums.

Tripod Album- Over Now
Facelift - Real Thing
Dirt - Angry Chair/Would?

Alabama Thunderpussy's Cover of the Four Horsemen's "Rocking is Ma' Business" was quite a surprise closer on River City Revival for me. Truly does the song justice!

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm 

Atheist - No Truth
^^..its Fucking Atheist

Atheist - And The Psychic Saw
^^..again..Its Fucking Atheist

Cryptopsy - Endless Cemetary
^^Probbaly the best song on Once Was Not

Decapitated - Manditory Suicide
^^great cover

Gorguts - Sweet Silence
^^The Outro To this just is orgasmic

Nile - Even The Gods Must Die
^^Great Song with an awesome Solo at the end

Origin - Antithesis
^^ A Masterpeice To Say The Least

Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
^^Speaks For Itself

Whitechapel - Messiahbolical
^^The greatest song ever made by this band.

mouritsdebeer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm 

Death - The Philosopher from Individual Thought Patterns

I find this song absolutely incredible and really stood out once I finished listening to the album. It really got me into the album because once I listened to this song I listened to ITP another 3 times. Absolutely wonderful.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:21 pm 

Immortal - Beyond The North Waves

I'll post later with more but that is definitely the definition of an EPIC ending!

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm 

Down - Bury Me in Smoke

What a great ending to a great album (NOLA). I actually the entire album, but this song is just an excellent send off. Some reviewers here on the site feel that the two minutes or so of extra riffing at the end wasn't necessary, but when you listen to the whole album in one entire sitting, it's awesome.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:31 pm 

Razakel wrote:

I'll post later with more but that is definitely the definition of an EPIC ending!

Good call. The solo towards the end is incredible. It gave me chills the first few times I heard it.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:33 pm 

Quote:

was just about to post that. That is probably my favourite Immortal song. So good.

dk555
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:44 pm 

Children of Bodom- Kissing the Shadows
Despite the lame title for a song, the song blows in your ears from beginning to the amazing guitar and keyboard solos at the end which makes perfect ending for "Follow the Reaper"

Last edited by dk555 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1stMetalheads
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:46 pm 

Death-Perennial Quest. The acoustic outro at the end of it is just amazing.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Down - Bury Me in Smoke

What a great ending to a great album (NOLA). I actually the entire album, but this song is just an excellent send off. Some reviewers here on the site feel that the two minutes or so of extra riffing at the end wasn't necessary, but when you listen to the whole album in one entire sitting, it's awesome.

This is exactly the one I was thinking of when I read the opening post. What a great song to end a great album.

Another one that I just listened to recently is "Death Metal" off Seven Churches by Possessed. Fast, intense, and a harbinger of things to come from the death metal scene.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:37 pm 

"The Voyage of the Homeless Sapien" is the last track on Cathedral's EP Cosmic Requiem, and it's a 20 minute long epic full of random shit, and it ends with a fucking toilet noise--What's greater than that! :D Maybe I just like weird shit but that's awesome.

NumenDivinum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 pm 

Viral wrote:
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion (the title track)

My god yes. In comparison to the rest of the album this track absolutely came out of nowhere and blew me away. It's like watching something or someone of great importance to you slowly fade away. It strikes me to the core every time and it's one of those songs that continues to give me goosebumps long after the first time I heard it.

alteredstate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 pm 

Morbid Saint - Beyond The Gates Of Hell

The chorus riff is super epic and the beat makes you want to headbang every time you hear it. Without a doubt the best song on the album.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Down - Bury Me in Smoke

This is exactly the one I was thinking of when I read the opening post. What a great song to end a great album.

Id have to agree aswell. Wish I had thought of posting it. Down is one of my favorite bands.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm 

Sepulturafreak wrote:
Same for Antichrist.

Sorg is cool, but Gorgoroth is a much better song, and it could have been better. Sorg doesn't quite live up to the awesome Heavens Fall which kind of opnes it.

Quote:
Abigor - Opus IV

Yeah, that last acoustic riff is definitely a great way to end an album.

alteredstate wrote:
Morbid Saint - Beyond The Gates Of Hell

The chorus riff is super epic and the beat makes you want to headbang every time you hear it. Without a doubt the best song on the album.

I think it's the worst song on the album. The epic approach doesn't really fit well with Mrobid Saint - the right way to make an epic for them is to just send down riff after riff like Assassin and Scars.

takar_blackangel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:19 pm 

I'm actually surprised no one mentioned Blind Guardian's And Then There Was Silence.

Such an epic song. The solos, the way the song goes from mellow to power metal, the glorious chorals, the lyrics, everything! It's probably one of the best long power metal songs ever.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:24 pm 

Surprised I haven't seen mentions of "Close to a World Below" or "Bring Them Down" as the closers of CTAWB and Unholy Cult....both have some of Vigna's most epic leads to end the album.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

The last full song on Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth (A Dark Passage), where that choral line goes on and on with the lone drum in the background until it fades away is cool.

"And Atlantis Falls", at the end of Bal-Sagoth's Battle Magic-an instrumental that starts out with a bang, then fades into a calming tone after the fast pace of the last album.

"Kvallning" of Finntroll's Ur Jordens Djup for the same reason-it's so calm and haunting it's a big contrast to the aggression of the rest of the CD.

"Serenade" of Kamelot's Black Halo, just for its slightly melancholic note after listening through the past two albums' stories.

And ditto on The Odyssey.

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:04 pm 

In my personal opinion, one the bands that relates most to this thread is Taake. All of Taakes albums (especially Nattestid, Bjoergvin and Doedskvad) have a brilliant introductory first track, and more importantly to this thread, an amazing track to end on. You are welcome to disagree of course, but I could not possibly fault Taake on his/their ability to start and end an album.

Burzukur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 pm 

On Motorhead's "Hammered" album, Serial Killer. That song kicked ass. It's my theme song. The video was pretty awesome too.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:54 pm 

The last song on Accept's Russian Roulette - 'Stand Tight'. A thumping anthem that leaves me on a high every time; 'we allll stand together'

And then Udo did it again, with the last track on his first UDO album Animal House...'Run For Cover', another stomping anthem. Love it, best way to end an album.

Defenders of the faith springs to mind also...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 am 

Someone brought up Moonsorrow earlier, the last riff on V: Havietty is stunning, obviously I can't count the song, ebcause theres only two songs on the album, but that riff is the perfect ending

To the Person who said Drudkh's First Snow, I don't really agree. It runs on at least twice as long as it should have been, I find myself sitting there after 4 minutes saying "This is the perfect ending to this album", but it jsut keeps going for another 5 minutes to the point of becoming annoying. It's like the the end of My Dying Bride's The Cry of Mankind, overdoing the one melody repetition thing.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:53 am 

Neurosis have ben on a roll for the past two albums. The end tracks of Eye of Every Storm (I Can See You) and Given to the Rising (Origin) both sum up those albums so well that I can hardly move after the disc stops spinning.

Cult of Luna get special credit for some of their closers too. The one on Somewhere Along the Highway defies all logic. There is no way one riff can go on for that long and still sound as awesome as it does in that song. Also the new one has horns. Horns make everything sound more epic.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:02 am 

Megadeth's Rust In Peace...Polaris is just about the perfect song to close out R.I.P. Completely fucking barrels along like Dave used to know how...

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:30 am 

takar_blackangel wrote:
I'm actually surprised no one mentioned Blind Guardian's And Then There Was Silence.

Such an epic song. The solos, the way the song goes from mellow to power metal, the glorious chorals, the lyrics, everything! It's probably one of the best long power metal songs ever.

I'm not surprised, I knew you would.

vashts80 wrote:
Surprised I haven't seen mentions of "Close to a World Below" or "Bring Them Down" as the closers of CTAWB and Unholy Cult....both have some of Vigna's most epic leads to end the album.

I was going to.. you beat me to it.

Irate - Vendetta (NY Metal). It's a great track.. and contains the ultimate line:

"I’m ashamed to be your dad and right now you're making me mad yeah you're making me want to
Jump right on a plane, fly first class just to beat your ass and fly home again."

Said it before.. that line is class :lol:

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?l ... 7858634887

Not much of a fan of hardcore.. I do like that band though.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:41 am 

"The First man on earth" from Ayreon's "Universal migrator part 1 album" is awesome, it's this big epic song that is a fitting end to this dream journey album.
As the song is nearing its end, you know this was the last song on the cd. but you also know that there's a Universal migrator part 2 album. so it's a bit from both sides

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 am 

There are many mentioned already I agree with, especially Dante's Inferno off of Burnt Offerings.

Then I'll add also

The Chasm - A Soulstorm Bleeds Over Horizon & Procession To the Infraworld from CotSE album. These two together might just be the best metal instrumental ever, perfect in every sense.

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum. Astonishing title track rounding off an excellent, yet vastly underrated album, pushing it's epicness even further.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 am 

I love good ending songs, I actually get really shitty if a band just chuck a half-assed track on the end thinking everything else is good enough. Best should be left to last!

Definitely agree with Nevermore - Godless Endeavor. That song has everything. One of my most favourite songs ever. It still gives me chills when I listen to it. Especially that scream at the end "The sky has opened!"

Also someone said Death's Philosopher. That was the first song I ever heard by Death and I was hooked. I love that album practically just for that song (don't get me wrong, great album, but nothing else on it compares). Infact it's probably one of the best Death songs.

Also agree with Dream Theater - Octavarium. Mediocre album but that song saves it. It is an amazing piece of art. People say 'Oh they ripped this from this,etc' but I don't care. Awesome concept and I get chills when I hear 'this story ends where it began'.

Ok well I think Megadeth with Ashes in your Mouth. After a decent album of mid-paced heavy metal comes this motha. One of my favourite Megadeth songs. The riffs are unbelievable. I defend Countdown to Extinction from its haters because this one song.

The final song on Zero Hour's Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond; Evidence of the Unseen. The section before the 5 minute mark is some of the most awesome riffs I have ever heard. Fantastic band and what a closer to a great album.

Opeth - White Cluster. I once heard my friend saying this song sucks and I nearly killed him right then and there. Probably the second best song on the album (The Moor is best... probably best opeth song). The riffs, the lyrics, the atmosphere, everything is perfect on this song. Very haunting melodies, almost makes me have nightmares. "And the last sight I did see is still here, Beckoning right behind me". Then after the song there's some silence then a clean little part. Oh god such a chilling ending to a great concept album.

Behemoth with Christgrinding Avenue. I can't find a fault in The Apostasy. Seriously. It is one of my most favourite albums ever. And this song is one of the reasons why its so good. THE DRUMS ARE UNBELIEVABLE. That final section at the end is soooo catchy and you will be tapping it for the rest of the day.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:31 am 

Morbid Angel - God of Emptiness

Entombed - Through the Collonades

I like my last tracks doomish and haunting.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 am 

kris_dobo wrote:
Tantalus wrote:
King Diamond - Black Horsemen from Abigail is probably my favourite 'epic last track' ever - it's just incredible. Granted, the lyrics make no sense without the rest of the album, but it's just monu-fucking-mental.

I agree. The solo at the end is so fucking amazing. I love how it builds to it then it just blows you away.

For me it's just that whole "no we're finally alone, Miriam," section, the riffs and the vocals are just incredible, then when it repeats before the end...wowzer.

Also, so as not to flog a dead horse(men), the last track from Leviathan's Massive Conspiracy Against All Life is pretty stunning too.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 am 

Alright, first the obvious mention, "Raining Blood". I don't think I need to comment on that any further.

Of course I agree with the previous mentions of "Maaneskyggens Slave", as I have already pointed out in my review of that album. Additionally, if you don't count the unlisted bonus track/Darkthrone cover, "The Virginborn" is the closing track of the "Destroyer" album, and it is not only by far the best track on that album but one of the best and most epic songs of the band's entire career.

There are so many albums with amazing closers, and unfortunately many of them are too breathtaking to even comment, and I don't want to turn this into a list thread. The first two things that came to mind were Akitsa's "La Grande Infamie" and Thorns' self-titled album, both with such intense closers that I don't even know what to say about them.

And of course there are Godkiller's two post-BM full-lengths, both ending on such intense non-metal pieces that culminate the emotional levels of the respective albums into two amazing climaxes. There is more genuine despair in five seconds of those songs than in the entire careers of Shining, Make A Change... and Xasthur put together!

Another classic example is the song "Meuterei" from Nagelfar's "Virus West" album, one of the most epic songs in German black metal. And pretty much the same could be said about the closer of the Burzum debut (except for the "German" part, obviously).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next