Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:52 pm 

One of the most controversial black metal album. I've never seen a black metal album get such mixed reviews. Some hate it, some think it is the greatest album of all time.

Most of the people that hate it, seem to hate TH because it is repetitive. Some say that is its best quality. Personally, I think the magic of TH is the production, the muffled drums, and overall super layered sound. Everytime I listen to it, it sounds different. As a guitar player, Fenriz's technique makes it sound like many different riffs are being played at the same time. In the fade out at the end of the title track, that slight change in the main riff is a good example of this.

But, I definitely do not think Transilvanian Hunger is the greatest black metal album of all time, nor the greatest Darkthrone album.

So, what do you think, classic album, or boring tripe? Sorry if this topic has been done to death, which it probably has.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:56 pm 

Absolutely classic album, among the best Black Metal albums ever. It set the standard for what good Norwegian BM should sound like. I love the hypnotic, trance-inducing repetition. It's so mesmerizing. The guitars, drums, vocals - EVERYTHING is sublime.

Blutrunst
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 pm 

Not my favorite Darkthrone album realy...however I do aprichiate its influence on the genre.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 pm 

While it is definitely a notable album and one which has inspired and defined second wave black metal, it's not necessarily the best from the genre, or even darkthrone. Definitely a very solid release worth owning, very hypnotic and minimal, which is good in its own way, however the more listens it receives over the years, the less attached i've been to it. It's due for rotation in my darkthrone collection, I always find myself obsessing over one of the 4 peaceville records at one point or another.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm 

Great album, but not my favorite Darkthrone. It's definitely an essential black metal album to own. If I were to review it, I would probably give it about 92-95.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:26 pm 

It's one of the few sacred cow albums that I would say disliking genuinely signifies you as being pretty dumb.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:27 pm 

The repetition and minimalistic riffing is what really attracted me to this album. Can you guys suggest another album (besides Darkthrone of course) that uses these song structure characteristics? I'm always loking for that nostalgic feeling I got when I first discovered Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, and the like. Thanks.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 pm 

Ask that in the Black Metal Help thread (but I'd check out Sargeist).

Transilvanian Hunger is a mesmerizing album, I must say. Easily one of my favorite black metal releases. It is very much a classic album.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 pm 

I like it, even if the cover art is just Mayhem's Live in Leipzig in a different angle. What I like about it is how it has really melodic riffs but yet manages to be brutal and raw, thanks to the production I guess. And the bass is pretty clear; one of the most acoustic basses I have heard in a black metal album.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:09 pm 

Definitely a great album, but not my favorite Darkthrone. I'd have to say Panzerfaust was the best IMO.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:10 pm 

SepticTomb wrote:
It's one of the few sacred cow albums that I would say disliking genuinely signifies you as being pretty dumb.

It's a monotonous, low fi pile of crap. A Blaze in the Northern Sky blows it out of the water. Manes and Burzum did the whole atmosphere and monotonous gig a lot better (as did early Emperor (Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, Wrath of the Tyrant, The Ancient Queen, etc)).

Darkthrone likes Celtic Frost too much anyway to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album. Transilvanian Hunger is a decent song, but it's cardboard production makes it a sinker on their album; I've always liked Ghenna's cover more, it's got more kick.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:15 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

It's a monotonous, low fi pile of crap. A Blaze in the Northern Sky blows it out of the water. Manes and Burzum did the whole atmosphere and monotonous gig a lot better (as did early Emperor (Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, Wrath of the Tyrant, The Ancient Queen, etc)).

Darkthrone likes Celtic Frost too much anyway to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album. Transilvanian Hunger is a decent song, but it's cardboard production makes it a sinker on their album; I've always liked Ghenna's cover more, it's got more kick.

One, how the hell can you rationalize Manes and Emperor doing "the whole monotonous thing", and two, if you think Darkthrone has to much CF influence how the hell is A Blaze better then TH?

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

As much as I agree with the notion that A Blaze In The Northern Sky is a better album, and that Manes and Burzum do "the whole atmosphere and monotonous gig" better, it's still a fantastic album. It took me a short while to appreciate it, but it is undoubtedly one of the better Black Metal albums around.

Last edited by Boomsticks on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
if you think Darkthrone has to much CF influence how the hell is A Blaze better then TH?

He meant that Darkthrone is too CF-influenced to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album -- A Blaze in the Northern Sky isn't such an album, so it's okay (in his view). But I agree that Manes and Emperor are totally different.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:26 pm 

Kruel wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
if you think Darkthrone has to much CF influence how the hell is A Blaze better then TH?

He meant that Darkthrone is too CF-influenced to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album -- A Blaze in the Northern Sky isn't such an album, so it's okay (in his view). But I agree that Manes and Emperor are totally different.

Well in that case it still seems weird. While there was still a CF influence on TH, it was hardly over-bearing.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm 

I wouldn't say that it's the most controversial album, but it truely is essential. No one can say they're into black metal if they have not listened to Transilvanian Hunger before. The production is great, in my opinion, and adds to the dark and evil presence of the music itself. I absolutlely love the soft drum sound and the static shrouded guitar tone. Right off the bat with the title track, you know this album is a classic of black metal, with such songs like Skald av Satans Sol and Graven Takeheimens Saler which include fast and heavy riffs, that prove to be definititive.

Is it minimalistic? Yes, but who said that was a bad thing? Some of the most minimalistic music proves to be some of the greatest out there today, especially in black metal. Some ignorant people might say that this album is truely unoriginal, but they have to keep in mind, at the time, this was the original sound that they possessed and utilized in a dark and innovative way.

Along with some of the others who posted to this topic before thee, this isn't my favorite Darkthrone album either (for the record, Panzerfaust is where it lies!), but either way, this album is truely timeless and brilliant! No one will ever forget this album.

Last edited by Grimmenfrost on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Well in that case it still seems weird. While there was still a CF influence on TH, it was hardly over-bearing.
That I agree, and he would need to explain how exactly the CF influences have ruined it.

Last edited by Kruel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

I don't even feel the need to defend TH, any argument against it is just so horribly wrong.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 pm 

Kruel wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
That I agree, and he would need to explain how exactly the CF influences have ruined it.

And he said that he like Burzum, saying that they did the atmospheroc and monotonous thing better than Darkthrone, and Burzum had a huge CF influence.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 pm 

Transilvanian Hunger is one of the best if not THE best black metal album ever.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

One, how the hell can you rationalize Manes and Emperor doing "the whole monotonous thing", and two, if you think Darkthrone has to much CF influence how the hell is A Blaze better then TH?

I wasn't clear. I meant that in a good way, that they love CF too much and that's the realm in which they belong, not 3riffs, 2 drum beats and 6 minutes. The sense of groove(which is unusual and usually sucks in BM) is unmatched as well as the riffs and overall oomph on ABINS. I'm all for progression, but they regressed with Transilvanian Hunger.

I'm just saying in comparison to other bands in Norway at the time, there were a lot better things then TH, and if Darkthrone hadn't made that album no one would give a shit.

If you like TH, you should like VON, and if you like VON, you're an idiot.

I like Manes, not knocking them, Maanes Natt is a very trance like song, as is other songs of theirs. Same goes for Emperor, but i guess you're right: i'm stretching things.

Last edited by WinterBliss on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:00 pm 

Okay, I get you now.

Burzukur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 pm 

It's okay. I feel stupid for buying it before checking the track listing. There are only two songs in english! But it was worth buying.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
I'm all for progression, but they regressed with Transilvanian Hunger.

They regressed with Under a Funeral Moon as well. That was the point.

Quote:
I'm just saying in comparison to other bands in Norway at the time, there were a lot better things then TH, and if Darkthrone hadn't made that album no one would give a shit.

If Black Sabbath never released an album no one would give a shit either. It's retarded logic.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 pm 

It's a decent album, it's not as legendary and majestic as everyone makes it out to be, and personally I think Panzerfaust is basically a better version of it. It had the fortune of being put out during the same year as 3 truly legendary albums by Emperor, Gorgoroth and Mayhem, but both Under A Funeral Moon and Panzerfaust have much more going for them.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm 

daemon_necromaton wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
I'm all for progression, but they regressed with Transilvanian Hunger.

They regressed with Under a Funeral Moon as well. That was the point.

Quote:

If Black Sabbath never released an album no one would give a shit either. It's retarded logic.

You're talking about like 20+ albums from one band, i'm talking about 1 album from a band. If they just skipped TH people would still like them just as much, Under a Funeral Moon did the whole shtick a lot better.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:

Von was amazing, you're batting zero for like a million here.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:

I wasn't clear. I meant that in a good way, that they love CF too much and that's the realm in which they belong, not 3riffs, 2 drum beats and 6 minutes. The sense of groove(which is unusual and usually sucks in BM) is unmatched as well as the riffs and overall oomph on ABINS. I'm all for progression, but they regressed with Transilvanian Hunger.

I like Manes, not knocking them, Maanes Natt is a very trance like song, as is other songs of theirs. Same goes for Emperor, but i guess you're right: i'm stretching things.

So you are basically saying that if you like TH you are an idiot.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 pm 

Burzukur wrote:
It's okay. I feel stupid for buying it before checking the track listing. There are only two songs in english! But it was worth buying.
That is by far the most ignorant statement I've heard/read all day.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Burzukur wrote:
That is by far the most ignorant statement I've heard/read all day.

Wow, I missed this statement. My mind is blown, congrats.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:

You're talking about like 20+ albums from one band, i'm talking about 1 album from a band. If they just skipped TH people would still like them just as much, Under a Funeral Moon did the whole shtick a lot better.

What the hell? Funeral bears almost zero similarity to Hunger whatsoever. Different feel and mood(s), different compositional technique, different recording methods, different mixing. Take away the vocals and it sounds like a totally different band, especially since they never really did an album like it ever again.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:36 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:

What the hell? Funeral bears almost zero similarity to Hunger whatsoever. Different feel and mood(s), different compositional technique, different recording methods, different mixing. Take away the vocals and it sounds like a totally different band, especially since they never really did an album like it ever again.

I agree, they have very different all around feels to me.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 pm 

How did they regress with TH? Nothing I've heard before 1994 sounded remotely like it. If by 'regression' you mean instrumentally, you're missing the point and probably should be listening to Malmsteen instead.

I also don't see that it's repetitive. Minimalistic, sure but that's a different thing. It's more repetitive than Emperor but not as repetitive as Burzum, early Enslaved or Gorgoroth.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:09 pm 

Expedience wrote:
How did they regress with TH? Nothing I've heard before 1994 sounded remotely like it. If by 'regression' you mean instrumentally, you're missing the point and probably should be listening to Malmsteen instead.

I'm assuming he meant regressed in quality.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm 

Expedience wrote:

I also don't see that it's repetitive. Minimalistic, sure but that's a different thing. It's more repetitive than Emperor but not as repetitive as Burzum, early Enslaved or Gorgoroth.

There is no point arguing with the guy.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:11 pm 

That's absurd. No one in their right mind would say Schoenberg's music was a regression even though most would say it's inferior to earlier music.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:12 pm 

Expedience wrote:
It's more repetitive than Emperor but not as repetitive as Burzum, early Enslaved or Gorgoroth.

Not really -- TH is probably on par with some of Burzum's most repetitive songs, in terms of repetitiveness.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:18 pm 

I remember first hearing the album.
The first three songs kick ass... and then it sort of goes into too repetitive. I can't explain why I like Burzum so much yet at the same time not the other half of the album. Guess it depends on my mood. When winter rolls around I'll put it on because winter sterilizes my aura.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm 

LotF wrote:
I remember first hearing the album.
The first three songs kick ass... and then it sort of goes into too repetitive. I can't explain why I like Burzum so much yet at the same time not the other half of the album. Guess it depends on my mood. When winter rolls around I'll put it on because winter sterilizes my aura.

Burzum? :???:

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:30 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Expedience wrote:
It's more repetitive than Emperor but not as repetitive as Burzum, early Enslaved or Gorgoroth.

Not really -- TH is probably on par with some of Burzum's most repetitive songs, in terms of repetitiveness.

Listened to Tomhet lately?

At any rate, granted there are a lot of eightfold repetitions but it doesn't feel repetitive to me. I don't notice it as much as in the other bands I mentioned, perhaps because the riffs are short and swift.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next