Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:15 am 

I, for one, am very much looking forward to the newest Satyricon album. I know a lot of people hate them, but I think they're one of the few bands who originated from the '90's Norwegian black metal scene, and have actually improved over the years. I'm hoping they can top Now, Diabolical. Discuss!

Exmachete
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:46 am 

You can't be serious, I believe in opinion but saying they improved is just poor taste.

KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am 

winterheathen wrote:
I, for one, am very much looking forward to the newest Satyricon album. I know a lot of people hate them, but I think they're one of the few bands who originated from the '90's Norwegian black metal scene, and have actually improved over the years. I'm hoping they can top Now, Diabolical. Discuss!

Hello Satyr.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 am 

Have you listened to Rebel Extravaganza? It was terrible. Before that, yeah sure I like it a lot, but their recent stuff, nobody is doing what they do now. Its original and great.

(Next reply, nobody does it because it sucks, right?)

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:16 am 

Out of topic but when I looked at the title of the topic the first time, I read the age of negro. hah :P

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 am 

Satyricon made some of the most nonsensical black metal in any wave, even though I like "Dark Medieval Times". Their songs lack structure and Satyr tries too hard to cram too many ideas into one song.

I liked about three songs from "Now, Diabolical". They were catchy and had some genuinely good riffs, however, if My Skin is Cold is a sign of things to come, Satyricon is probably beyond salvation at this point.
Death metal is eternal.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 am 

Edit: Double post...
Death metal is eternal.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am 

Back on topic, I can't say that I care about their new album and Satyricon themselves. I've never found anything special about them, and they're getting more and more generic after each new album they release. Also I only like the song Mother North and even there, I don't listen to it very often. So, like I said, I really don't care about Satyricon. I might listen to 1 or 2 songs on youtube to see how it sound and that's it.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 am 

winterheathen wrote:
one of the few bands who originated from the '90's Norwegian black metal scene, and have actually improved over the years.

What?
How so?

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 am 

winterheathen wrote:
but their recent stuff, nobody is doing what they do now. Its original

There is good reason no one else sounds like that.

Of their old stuff I only like the song Into the Mighty Forest really. Always preferred Taake over them.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm 

Wow, I really need some fans of their recent work to post.

I'm not saying their earliest work was bad, far from it. I love Dark Medieval Times. But even though Volcano and Now, Diabolical may be considered "modern" black metal, its not in the same category as Dimmu/Cradle/Old Mans Child. Its different. What exactly do you guys hate about their last two albums. Their catchy and headbangable, who cares if they're not "troo and grim" anymore.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 pm 

winterheathen wrote:

"troo and grim"

With any luck, this thread will now die.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:40 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
winterheathen wrote:

"troo and grim"

With any luck, this thread will now die.

I was being sarcastic.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm 

It will die regardless.

And you know what else is catchy? AIDS. Especially in audial form.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 pm 

Fine. Let it fucking die.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm 

I've just thought I'll elaborate a bit: as the OP contains "...and have actually improved over the years", it's doomed to turn into either a flame war, or a raging shitstorm, which is practically the same, so the thread will subsequently get locked. Of course, there's a small chance for it to survive, but it requires posts with actual content.

So, on topic: IMO Satyr tried to pull a Darkthrone, but failed miserably. "Volcano" and "Now, Diabolical" were just commercial garbage, especially the latter. What could you expect if a band is signed to Roadtrunner? But most notably, the material itself was very weak and lacking thought and depth. More like dance music with downtuned guitars than metal. All this said, I kind of like "Rebel Extravaganza" for what it is. Never cared about their early albums. Sure, they have some good songs, but overall they failed to impress me.

EDIT: damn, three bloody typos in one paragraph. :annoyed:

Last edited by Catachthonian on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:08 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
I've just thought I'll elaborate a bit: as the OP contains "...and have actually improved over the years", it's doomed to turn into either a flame war, or a raging shitstorm, which is practically the same, so the thread will subsequently get locked. Of course, there's a small chance for it to survive, but it requires posts with actual content.

So, on topic: IMO Satyr tried to pull a Darkthrone, but failed miserably. "Volcano" and "Now, Diabolical" were just commercial garbage, especially the latter. What could you expect if a band is signe to Roadtrunner? But mst notably, the material itself was very weak and lacking though and depth. More like dance music with downtuned guitars than metal. All this said, I kind of like "Rebel Extravaganza" for what it is. Never cared about their early albums. Sure, they have some good songs, but overall they failed to impress me.

Do you like Opeth? They signed to Roadrunner as well. 95% of that label is shit, I agree.

I knew a lot of people hate Satyricon, but I thought some might care about the new album. I was wrong.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:46 pm 

winterheathen wrote:
Do you like Opeth? They signed to Roadrunner as well. 95% of that label is shit, I agree.

I knew a lot of people hate Satyricon, but I thought some might care about the new album. I was wrong.

Opeth? Out of their entire discography, I only enjoy "Orchid" and a few songs from other albums.

Some DO care I think, but most of them - only to denounce it after the leak/release.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm 

Satyr's best work was on Thorns. And he wasn't even on all tracks.

I've heard some of the tracks of "Age of Nero"...they sound more black metal than 'Now, Diabolical' but still continue that mid-paced thing.

Hmm....

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:

This is very true.

lord_abraxas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm 

Let's see what happens.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 am 

winterheathen wrote:
Have you listened to Rebel Extravaganza? It was terrible. Before that, yeah sure I like it a lot, but their recent stuff, nobody is doing what they do now. Its original and great.

(Next reply, nobody does it because it sucks, right?)

Is it safe to assume that Rebel is not recommended? At least by you?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:17 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
So, on topic: IMO Satyr tried to pull a Darkthrone, but failed miserably. "Volcano" and "Now, Diabolical" were just commercial garbage, especially the latter. What could you expect if a band is signe to Roadtrunner? But mst notably, the material itself was very weak and lacking though and depth. More like dance music with downtuned guitars than metal. All this said, I kind of like "Rebel Extravaganza" for what it is. Never cared about their early albums. Sure, they have some good songs, but overall they failed to impress me.

Yup.

Satyricon really is a second rate band. Nemesis Divina has a couple of good tracks, Rebel Extravaganza is good, but not at all memorable, Dark Medieval Times is a boring snoozefest and Now, Diabolical also had a couple of good tracks. Haven't heard The Shadowthrone or Volcano.

Satyr makes his songs overlong, his riffs are dull and his vocals are often crap. He did well on the Thorns album, and I'd say he's actually improved over the years (despite having lots of filler and a heap of annoying as shit whisper sections, Satyr's growls on Now, Diabolical are the best he's ever done) but for the most part, meh. Plus Frost's drumming is just :ugh: for me.

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:21 am 

thejuicebitch wrote:

I've heard some of the tracks of "Age of Nero"...they sound more black metal than 'Now, Diabolical' but still continue that mid-paced thing.

Hmm....

I think his best work was Storm. . .
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

Yup.

Satyricon really is a second rate band. Nemesis Divina has a couple of good tracks, Rebel Extravaganza is good, but not at all memorable, Dark Medieval Times is a boring snoozefest and Now, Diabolical also had a couple of good tracks. Haven't heard The Shadowthrone or Volcano.

Satyr makes his songs overlong, his riffs are dull and his vocals are often crap. He did well on the Thorns album, and I'd say he's actually improved over the years (despite having lots of filler and a heap of annoying as shit whisper sections, Satyr's growls on Now, Diabolical are the best he's ever done) but for the most part, meh. Plus Frost's drumming is just :ugh: for me.

Frost is an awesome drummer. It's hard to belive you don't appreciate his output. I assume you didn't dig the last 1349 album. One of my favorites btw.
You really liked Medieval less than Now,Diabolical?

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 am 

Nah, Proscriptor's an awesome drummer! Derek Roddy's an awesome drummer. . .

Frost always sounds the bloody same these days.

ypatingasisburysLT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:36 am 

Didnt pay much attention to this band after Shadowthrone.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 am 

Sentienth696 wrote:

EXACTLY.

marktheviktor wrote:
Frost is an awesome drummer. It's hard to belive you don't appreciate his output. I assume you didn't dig the last 1349 album. One of my favorites btw.

Only 1349 I've heard is Beyond the Apocalypse and it bored me to tears. Just like Satyricon, just faster and less melodic.

As for M vs N,D, I don't know. I'm going off of my first listen. When it cools down tonight, I'll give the album another listen. Just giving the tracks a glance now and the vocals and production seem excellent but the songs nothing special. Whatever.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:40 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Sentienth696 wrote:

EXACTLY.

marktheviktor wrote:

Only 1349 I've heard is Beyond the Apocalypse and it bored me to tears. Just like Satyricon, just faster and less melodic.

As for M vs N,D, I don't know. I'm going off of my first listen. When it cools down tonight, I'll give the album another listen. Just giving the tracks a glance now and the vocals and production seem excellent but the songs nothing special. Whatever.

Give Hellfire a listen. You won't be disappointed. As a matter of fact,youll want to see them live after hearing it.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:42 am 

Satyricon isn't very good any more. I love their early work; Nemesis Divina was my first black metal record and the one that introduced me to the genre.

Now, Diabolical was mediocre. Judged on its own, it was kind of catchy and had a few nice riffs, but was nothing special. It only looks worse when you compare it to old Satyricon.

I'm not looking forward to their next release. I don't think it will be any good.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Satyricon isn't very good any more. I love their early work; Nemesis Divina was my first black metal record and the one that introduced me to the genre.

Now, Diabolical was mediocre. Judged on its own, it was kind of catchy and had a few nice riffs, but was nothing special. It only looks worse when you compare it to old Satyricon.

I'm not looking forward to their next release. I don't think it will be any good.

In a way,that's a good thing because you won't have high expectations so you might like it better than you thought you would.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:14 am 

Despite Satyricon's best work being black metal, it looks like they're better at their rock. I think black metal was a bit out of Satyricon's reach, though they did get it right with Dark Medieval Times.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:17 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Despite Satyricon's best work being black metal, it looks like they're better at their rock. I think black metal was a bit out of Satyricon's reach, though they did get it right with Dark Medieval Times.

Why?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 am 

I liked Dark Medieval Times because it's got something the other releases really lacks; hunger. The other releases just seem to plodd along without inspiration. It just sounds so lackluster.

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 am 

Meh, I liked Shadowthrone more than Dark Medievil Times. . .

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:51 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

Why?

I don't know exactly why. Satyricon's black metal work were cluster-fucked with ideas and unmemorable execution. But when it comes to their black'n'roll, it works better for them. I'd normally disrespect at a band for changing their musical style to suit a wider audience, but it seemed Satyricon was "evolving" in that direction no matter what.

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:26 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

Why?

I don't know exactly why. Satyricon's black metal work were cluster-fucked with ideas and unmemorable execution. But when it comes to their black'n'roll, it works better for them. I'd normally disrespect at a band for changing their musical style to suit a wider audience, but it seemed Satyricon was "evolving" in that direction no matter what.

Hmmm. No, I disagree. Satyr turned into a pretentious poser!

They didn't evolve, although there WAS a gradual change from Nemesis on, there was always intent from Satyr to become popular and widely accepted. They are now what I call "Satyr'n'roll'n'money"

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:32 am 

Sentienth696 wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

Why?

Hmmm. No, I disagree. Satyr turned into a pretentious poser!

They didn't evolve, although there WAS a gradual change from Nemesis on, there was always intent from Satyr to become popular and widely accepted. They are now what I call "Satyr'n'roll'n'money"

Satyr seems to be trying to sell out but can't quite get there.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:56 am 

The last Satyricon album I enjoyed was Rebel Extravaganza, which I didn't find as terrible as someone said, at all. Before this, Nemesis Divina pretty much introduced me into black metal, and DMT and Shadowthrone are two great albums, by far their best. I couldn't care less about their newer stuff, Volcano and, specially, Now Diabolical, sound like the same song repeated over and over again, and they bore me to tears.
I'll probably download and check this Age of Nero, but I'm not excited about it at all. In fact the first news I got of this album were in this very thread.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 am 

Ah heavy metal revisionism. Satyricon start sucking quite a lot and now people start writing off most of their stuff. Though not the most versed in 2nd wave bm, I can't say Nemesis Divina doesn't hold its own against the other classics I've heard from the 2nd wave.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next