Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:09 am 

This isn't a promo on my band, but rather it this thread is intended to gather feedback on 1) my band in general in regards to overall sound and musicianship and so on, and 2) my vocals, since I am always looking for quality feedback and such.

I would appreciate if you could go to our MySpace page (link in my sig or here: www.myspace.com/hoarfrostofficial ) and listen to our songs and give me feedback on #1 and #2 from above. Yes, the quality is shit - we recorded those in my drummers basement with a mic on a stand and a laptop and nothing else - please give them a fair chance for what they are, and even what they could be.

Now, I would also like to know: what could we add in our music that could make it better, in your opinion? Based on our sound, are there any bands we should check out that we could draw inspiration from (I'm a music rec whore, so I'm always looking for interesting bands, ha ha)? Any other general comments?

All feedback is appreciated. If you dislike us, fine, and if you dig us, even better. Thanks!

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Type O Negative - These Three Things
via FoxyTunes

Gul_Kothoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:08 am 

Well you guys despite the shitty quality (which is my only complaint and maybe should be looked more at for the next recording) are awesome. I love the leads and the chaos you can bring. As far as your vocals go, top notch. I personally prefer your high screams more than the gutturals so maybe more high screams but very good stuff. Its Fucking Metal :headbang:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 am 

The recording quality is rather bad, especially on the vocals, but I like the riffs.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:40 am 

Like everyone said, bad quality. However, the songs themselves sound great, as do the instruments and the vocals. Your vocals definitely are very good.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm 

Gul_Kothoth wrote:
Well you guys despite the shitty quality (which is my only complaint and maybe should be looked more at for the next recording) are awesome. I love the leads and the chaos you can bring. As far as your vocals go, top notch. I personally prefer your high screams more than the gutturals so maybe more high screams but very good stuff. Its Fucking Metal :headbang:

Thanks! Admittedly, my higher black metal-esque vocals are actually my weak point, as I have the bad habit of doing them wrong (from the throat and not from my false cords) and I'm still trying to tweak them so that I do do them properly. The day we recorded was a good day though, and I didn't slip up in my performance :p

Also, just a general word of thanks to The_Beast_in_Black and unclevladistav for checking the songs out and enjoying them :)

cheers,
--N

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

Better recording quality is needed but for a basement demo to get your name out there - not bad at all. I saw your statements about vocals - yes, they are tough to master but once you figure out your own technique it'll be a piece of cake. Just don't strain your voice too much. Saw "Thor" in your song name so check out my band in its heathen glory - The Vala (www.myspace.com/thevala).

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Better recording quality is needed but for a basement demo to get your name out there - not bad at all. I saw your statements about vocals - yes, they are tough to master but once you figure out your own technique it'll be a piece of cake. Just don't strain your voice too much. Saw "Thor" in your song name so check out my band in its heathen glory - The Vala (www.myspace.com/thevala).

I was just showing my guitarist Brett this thread, and he's been a MySpace friend of yours for awhile! Said you were playing a show with both Iced Earth and Into Eternity, so congrats man! I'll definitely check you out in a couple minutes...

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Alexisonfire - Accidents
via FoxyTunes

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:50 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
thewitchfinder wrote:

I was just showing my guitarist Brett this thread, and he's been a MySpace friend of yours for awhile! Said you were playing a show with both Iced Earth and Into Eternity, so congrats man! I'll definitely check you out in a couple minutes...

cheers,
--N

Just got back from that show! Freaking amazing, and we (The Vala) got a great response.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.