Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 pm 

squeebsquab wrote:
I get into a little bit of the old youth crew stuff, Chain of Strength, Youth of today...the pioneers 7 seconds.

Yeah, even though they were still more of a traditional California punk band.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:43 pm 

A band I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned: Meat Puppets. Their first 3 albums, fucking incredible mixture of hardcore and country.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:23 am 

Dragunov wrote:
@Bezerko: Despise You are great! I still haven't heard that Possessed cover yet though. I really want to hear it.

It's on their discography comp CD thing. There's a heap of other covers as well. D.R.I, Circle Jerks, Beowulf and the Possessed one. :thumbsup:

Noisenoir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:15 am 

squeebsquab wrote:
Noisenoir wrote:
Other great bands you should check:
Blast!
Septic Death
Lethal Aggression
Christ on parade
Fear
Jerry's Kids
Adolescents
D.I.
Verbal Abuse
The Accused
Goverment Issue
and the list goes on...

whats the point of listing stuff?
let me elaborate...

B'last - awesome hardcore band from cali...like a mix of COC and Black Flag. They never really gained popularity outside of cali. Check out power of expression on the SST lable. I think early on they had a COC member?

Christ on Parade - East bay 80's hardcore. Pretty sloppy rudimentary stuff but i really love this band. Had a member of Nuerosis and Econochrist. Pretty political lyrics and lots of crusty huge mohawks. Their sound of nature lp was just rereleased on Prank Records last year. check this out!

Septic Death - pusheads band from idaho of all places. The music was really proto-crust type of stuff and the lyrics are just insane. Litterally all about being nuts. Really weird stuff to be honest but it works..good luck finding anything by these guys thats not a best of.

Fear - L.A. band featuring lee ving, a Nam vet gone punk, gone actor (mr. body in the movie clue). This band is pretty well known. Check out the movie decline of western civilization to see fear baiting the fans. Shock value shit, but not bad.

Jerrys Kids - Awesome boston band! really these guys were better than any other band from that area at the time. Thrashing hardcore madness. I think its better than Gang Green who shared members with this band.

Adolescents - The youngest hardcore band at the time. They were from the same scene as the circle jerks and flag. I think their first lp holds up against those bands, but they went downhill after the broke up and got back together. I wouldnt recommend anything but the first lp and the demo lp, both still in print. Members were in ADZ and Christian Death. Even had Pat Smear for a short time.

D.I. - i really hate this band. They one song i really liked though, Check out Richard hung himself. Part of the adolescents family.

Verbal Abuse - raging fucking hardcore from Texas. I cant even describe how good this band were. Everyone needs to check them out. Just an American band 12'' and Rocks Your Liver Lp on melvins guy boner records.

Government Issue - pretty solid hardcore from DC, around the same time as minor threat, soa, all those bands. They have two double disc cd sets. They stuck around even when most of those hardcore bands broke up, become a weird rock, indie, emo band like rites of spring but i actually like that stuff more.

Lethal Aggression - Hardcore/Crossover band from New Jersey playing very aggressive hardcore with metal riffs. Formed in 1984, split in 1991 and recently reunited. In the vein of S.O.D. and D.R.I.

The Accused - another crossover band with gore/splatter lyrics they early
records are insane.

R.K.L. - Awesome hardcore/punk/crossover from Santa Barbara. Check the albums: RocK 'n Roll Nightmare (1987) and Riches to Rags (1994).

Also T.S.O.L. have had their ups and downs but the "Dissapear" album of 2001 is superb, and D.I.'s "What good is grief to a God?" is worth listening to.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:14 pm 

Die Kreuzen.

Enough said.

But for the most part, I have found hardcore punk too messy and immature to enjoy. I'm probably making a blanket statement, but it seems just way too abrasive and just... too loud to like. Maybe that's why the scene lasted like what... seven years? Eight years?

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 pm 

Noisenoir wrote:
R.K.L. - Awesome hardcore/punk/crossover from Santa Barbara.

Rich Kids on LSD? I loved them back in the day. They had some sweet thrash riffs.

squeebsquab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:35 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Die Kreuzen.

Enough said.

But for the most part, I have found hardcore punk too messy and immature to enjoy. I'm probably making a blanket statement, but it seems just way too abrasive and just... too loud to like. Maybe that's why the scene lasted like what... seven years? Eight years?

I think its insane how people say that hardcore died in 85 or something. give me a break! While the 80s had some great bands, hardcore had barely begin to start. Most of the best bands didnt even start by the time the so called scene "died". I think hardcore now is way more passionate and shoved way father underground that it ever could have been in the 80's. I'm not even talking about established bands either, im talking about kids doing it themselves in the basements or your cities, putting on shows, making their own records.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

squeebsquab wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Die Kreuzen.

Enough said.

I think its insane how people say that hardcore died in 85 or something. give me a break! While the 80s had some great bands, hardcore had barely begin to start. Most of the best bands didnt even start by the time the so called scene "died". I think hardcore now is way more passionate and shoved way father underground that it ever could have been in the 80's. I'm not even talking about established bands either, im talking about kids doing it themselves in the basements or your cities, putting on shows, making their own records.

Give some examples, around here the "hardcore" bands are either tough guy core bands, scenester metalcore bands and somewhat trad sounding posi stuff. Also Deathcore bands in the Chicago area tend to associate with the hardcore scene as well, even though the real thing virtually doesn't exist.

This is the closest my area gets to a real hardcore band http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =162160505

squeebsquab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 pm 

DrSeuss wrote:
squeebsquab wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Die Kreuzen.

Enough said.

Give some examples, around here the "hardcore" bands are either tough guy core bands, scenester metalcore bands and somewhat trad sounding posi stuff. Also Deathcore bands in the Chicago area tend to associate with the hardcore scene as well, even though the real thing virtually doesn't exist.

This is the closest my area gets to a real hardcore band http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =162160505

Ah man chicago has a great scene! theres some really good hardcore coming out of there, especially the latino bands. No Slogan is one i can think of who plays some really passionate hardcore. Maybe check out Punch in The Face, featuring ebro from charles bronson etc....good old sounding stuff in the vein of Poison Idea. Los Crudos, Limp Wrist, Chronic Siezure, Disrobe, I Attack, Sin Orden, Securicor, Weekend Nachos, really theres a ton of bands playing illinoise if you look for them. And none of those are tough guy mosh core metal new school bullshit. Im actually right across the lake from you in michigan and a lot of those bands play here often.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=86586858

a chicago hardcore myspace. good place to start.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:37 pm 

There are still plenty of great punk/hardcore bands, both original and throwback types; Texas is chock full of them.

mere_c
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 pm 

minor threat's one of those bands that change your life haha. Early D.R.I. is a favorite, but their crossover thrash is even better. A newer band influenced by all DRI type bands is municipal waste. Check out their older stuff (everything before Art off Partying is good)

aslo INFEST, Charles Bronson, Government Issue, & Spazz (golden harvest hardcore)

gang green's good too, probably a lot more skate thrash than hardcore but worth a listen

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 pm 

Has anybody mentioned Nig-Heist? Great name, great lyrics, great band.

Also Jerry's Kids.

squeebsquab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:

Also Jerry's Kids.

hahaha fucking nig heist...snort my load Lp, that shit makes me laugh.

Dreadnaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:00 pm 

Noisenoir wrote:
The Accused - another crossover band with gore/splatter lyrics they early
records are insane.

Always loved Grinning Like An Undertaker.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 am 

squeebsquab wrote:
Weekend Nachos

Awesome band, powervioleeeeeeeeeeeeence!

mere_c wrote:
aslo INFEST, Charles Bronson, Government Issue, & Spazz (golden harvest hardcore)

Hail to that! I've already explained my boner for Infest here so need to go into that.

Join my forum people! :D

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 am 

Nolan_B wrote:

Also Jerry's Kids.

I once put the Nig-Heist disc on at a party. It cleared out the entire room.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 am 

I enjoy the band The order of the fly, though they are more a horror punk band, they still have a more aggressive sound that you could descirbe as hardcore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MB31HK1-tE

teenagewaste
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 am 

Dragunov wrote:
There are still plenty of great punk/hardcore bands, both original and throwback types; Texas is chock full of them.

are you from texas? just wondering because i am.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:17 am 

Shovel wrote:
Minor Threat (if you don't like Minor Threat, how the fuck are you into hardcore?)

Cant stand Ians vocals.

EDIT: Anyone heard of Pisschrist? http://www.myspace.com/dbeatholocaust

Last edited by Symbolic12 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
illmitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:54 am 

Honestly american hardcore doesn't do much for me. There are a few bands that I like a lot - the Crucifucks and the Proletariat especially - but neither of those bands are really similar to any other ushc bands. What I really love is European hardcore and some Japanese shit (not as familiar with many 80s japanese hxc bands).

but anyway, my list, by country:

US:
Crucifucks - Really crazy, demented hardcore, with lots of musical talent hiding beneath the surface. The singer is hard to get used to, he has a really atonal, almost screechy voice, but I love 'em.

Proletariat - Very political, non-conventional punk/hardcore. It's mostly midtempo, almost military at times (reminiscent of Crass and their military-style drumming). Wonderful band.

MDC - This has already been referenced, but it deserves to be referenced again. Fast as fuck and basically genius.

NOTA - Another really fast band, but they're, I dunno, different...more tight and put-together, I guess.

Minor Threat - Essential.

Toxic Reasons - Slower band, a lot more rock and roll-y, but great stuff nonetheless.

UK:
Discharge - As far as I'm concerned, THE definitive hardcore band, their first three EPs and Why are absolute essentials.

Icons of Filth - More proto-crust, a lot more put-together than Crude SS but still fast and great.

Rudimentary Peni - One of the most eccentric, odd, strange bands I've ever heard. I'm not too familiar with their earliest releases - anarcho for the most part - but what I must recommend is the album Cacophony. It's stretching the limits of hardcore - it's basically a concept album about H. P. Lovecraft, and I consider it to be the single greatest musical expression of his works. Everything about it screams chaos, uncertainty, and confusion.

Finland:
Kaaos - One of those great Finnish hardcore bands...I really can't describe the style, and frankly they tend to do it alike (although this by no means diminishes their talent).

Rattus - Rattus have a varied sound, their earlier stuff is just fast as fuck thrashy hardcore with pretty incomprehensible (even by the standards of vocals in a foreign language) vocals. Their later stuff, though, they slowed down just a little bit and picked up a clear singer, and hearing the shit in Finnish is just wonderful.

Riistetyt

Tampere SS

Other Europe:
Electric Deads (Denmark) - Fast (almost metallic), fun hardcore band with a female vocalist. Found out about them from a compilation that I'll discuss later on as it's probably one of the greatest compilations I've ever heard.

Crude SS (Swedish) - Crazy 80s proto-crust, pretty fast and intense, all around good stuff.

My final recommendation is the 1984 compilation Welcome to 1984. It's an international compilation, featuring bands from all over the globe, and is probably one of the greatest compilations I've ever heard - every single song on there is quality, and it's turned me on to all sorts of wonderful bands. I would recommend looking for it online, it's more or less a gateway to worlds and worlds of hardcore bliss.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 am 

I saw this documentrary as well. Id love to buy some time, it was really good.

Ive always had a large amount of respect for punk and hardcore. I understand its influence on metal and Id like to think I know enough about the imoporant bands that really stood out in the genre. I always thought the ideas and mindset behind hardcore punk was very similar to those of death metal and other genres. Its just a different sound and a different style of expression. Theres a local venue around where I live that books hardcore, punk and metal, bands. Il go just to hang out and watch different bands play different styles of music. Only a few of my friends have the same apreciation as I do. In the end its just not the sound for my music taste but I respect it and apreciate the style and its impact.

Some bands Ive always loved

Cro Mags, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Discharge, GBH, Black Flag, Gang Green, The Stupids

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:45 pm 

I lived that in 84-86 and some of my favorites were:

GBH
Discharge
Fear
Broken Bones
Suicidal Tendencies (first album)
SNFU (first album)
Black Flag
Misfits (Earth AD/Wolfsblood)
Agnostic Front (Victim In Pain)
Minor Threat

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:48 pm 

Has there been any mention of JFA in this thread? They're a great 80's hardcore/'skate punk' band.

motherload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:31 pm 

illmitch wrote:
Electric Deads (Denmark) - Fast (almost metallic), fun hardcore band with a female vocalist. Found out about them from a compilation that I'll discuss later on as it's probably one of the greatest compilations I've ever heard.

Cool! You like Electric Dreads!
I might as well recommend some more danish hardcore and punk.

Sods:
One of the oldest, if not the oldest, danish punk rock band. Their debut record "Minutes To Go" is proto-hardcore at some points, and just plain raging. Keep in mind that it's only their fist album that is punk and the album they released after that is more new wave post punkish stuff, but still really good if you like that kind of stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/sodssods

Amdi Petersens Armé:
In my opinion the best hc band to ever come from Denmark. APA released demo tape and two 7"es. They've been decribed as sounding like the missing sessions from the "Boston Not LA" compilation, and I guess that fits pretty well.
http://www.myspace.com/amdipetersensarme

Asbest:
Very similar to APA, but more sinister and bleak.
No myspace, sorry. But you can probaply soulseek them.

Ripping Headache:
Very thrashy old school hardcore. They put on fucking crazy live shows.
http://www.myspace.com/rippingheadache

Paragraf 119:
Primitive, snotty, noisy and violent! Basically everything that makes punk rock good. This is also the one band most danish punk bands want to sound like, but no one can do it!
http://www.myspace.com/paragraf119

Skarpretter:
Band formed by ex members of Paragraf 119 and other bands. They have a more street punk sound, but unlike most other street punk bands they actually get away with it in my opinion. They also have really good lyrics.
http://www.myspace.com/skarpretter

Bomberegn:
Bon Jovi having sex Discharge with Amebix watching? I don't care, it's good.
http://www.myspace.com/bomberegn

Hjertestop:
Kinda like Bad Religion before they got bad. Really catchy and fun.
http://www.myspace.com/hjertestop

Rotter!:
This is just some fucking kick ass shit! Kinda melodic, but still thrashy. They've released a demo tape and a 7". I like the demotape best, but the 7" is really good too.
http://www.myspace.com/de3rotter

Hul:
Fucking good primitive hardcore made the kids in their early teens!
http://www.myspace.com/hulbrnepunk

Ok, I'll stop my rant now...

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 pm 

There has been a grand total of one mention of G.I.S.M. in this thread. That is a damn shame, as G.I.S.M. are fucking incredible. I'm currently listening to Performance of War for the first time; it's actually pretty catchy, although I think I prefer the raw, relentless barrage of SoniCRIME TheRapy.

EDIT: Actually, the later portions of Performance of War is rawer. I think I still like SoniCRIME more.

teenagewaste
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:20 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
There has been a grand total of one mention of G.I.S.M. in this thread. That is a damn shame, as G.I.S.M. are fucking incredible. I'm currently listening to Performance of War for the first time; it's actually pretty catchy, although I think I prefer the raw, relentless barrage of SoniCRIME TheRapy.

EDIT: Actually, the later portions of Performance of War is rawer. I think I still like SoniCRIME more.

GISM rules so hard, and i like how you only mention the later portions of that album because shit like 'endless blockades for the pussy footer' is pretty weird haha

zmscrossover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:06 pm 

As boring and "same sounding" as it may be I really dig D-Beat. Discharge, Disclose, and The Varukers are the shit.

EDIT: And then I realized they aren't American!

Americn hardcore is pretty damn awesome, here is some of the bands I dig:

Negative Approach
Government Issue
The Adolescents
Nig-Heist
Die Kruezen
Big Boys
Circle Jerks
Black Flag
Minor Threat

bones997
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm 

if you like the old hc here are some newer bands you might like
anti-you , double negative , sick mormons , friendly neighbors
warkrime , anger burning , nightstick justice , citizens patrol

a lot of this stuff is coming from va and n. carolina , im just now getting into it

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 pm 

zmscrossover wrote:
As boring and "same sounding" as it may be I really dig D-Beat. Discharge, Disclose, and The Varukers are the shit.

EDIT: And then I realized they aren't American!

I think this is kinda turning into a catch-all hardcore thread, as someone mentioned the foreign scenes earlier. Hence my bringing up G.I.S.M.

TwistedFire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 pm 

bones997 wrote:
sick mormons

Holy shit, never thought I'd see my friend's band get mentioned on this forum...especially since they're not all that famous. :D

motherload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:38 am 

Sick Mormons are really good, found out about them when they were played on Maximum Rock'n'Roll radio.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm 

Fuck!!!!!

what an awesome thread. my favourite genre outside 80s metal for sure. been an avid fan of bands like ADOLESCENTS and TSOL, CIRCLE JERKS, DEAD KENNEDYs, THE FACTION, RKL my whole life, but have a far greater range of stuff than that now.

my top picks other than the aforementioned are

DIE KRUEZEN
CRUCIFIX
ARTICLES OF FAITH
BATTALION OF SAINTS
AGRESSION
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
MECHT MENSCH
SOCIAL UNREST
HATED YOUTH
F.U.'s
FEAR
76% UNCERTAIN
THE FREEZE
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
7 SECONDS

and of course the crossover stuff:
DRI
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
WEHRMACHT
THE ACCUSED
EXCEL
CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2