Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ramfeild66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:36 pm 

Can anybody suggest an electronic drum solution for an aspiring DM drummer? I learnt the basics on a acoustic kit but having moved into a flat I need an electronic kit that can handle blastbeats and double kick practices. Any ideas? I know the Roland kits are generally considered the best, but does anyone know there capabilities for relaying fast techniques? Cheers!

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:14 pm 

I have looked into this as well.

I will probably go with an Alesis kit due to how cheap they are. For the actual drum sound, I'll send MIDI out to my computer, and I'll use EZdrummer, or maybe even Superior 2.0 if I have it by then.

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 am 

so long as you have mesh heads you should probably be alright.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm 

ramfeild66 wrote:
Can anybody suggest an electronic drum solution for an aspiring DM drummer? I learnt the basics on a acoustic kit but having moved into a flat I need an electronic kit that can handle blastbeats and double kick practices. Any ideas? I know the Roland kits are generally considered the best, but does anyone know there capabilities for relaying fast techniques? Cheers!

You'll have no problem with speed on electronic kits, they'll be able to handle it just fine. I use a roland TD3 and it's held up brilliantly for two years. I play it for hours everyday, I play double kick and blast a lot and it's still as responsive as ever. I really would go for a roland or a yamaha tho, most of the other electronic kits I've seen have been pants by comparison.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:42 pm 

mattp wrote:

I will probably go with an Alesis kit due to how cheap they are. For the actual drum sound, I'll send MIDI out to my computer, and I'll use EZdrummer, or maybe even Superior 2.0 if I have it by then.

Hmm, the guitarist in my band bought an Alesis electronic kit on a whim, and it was pretty freakin dire. Utterly unresponsive pads and kinda weird layout. I'd really save for a Roland if I were you

And yeah, Ezdrummer/Superior will beat the pants out of the crappy sound you'll get out of all but the very best drum synth modules that come with kits.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:14 pm 

If you want to be quiet you could put pillows over your drums to muffle the sound.
:p

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:01 pm 

LordOminous wrote:
mattp wrote:

Hmm, the guitarist in my band bought an Alesis electronic kit on a whim, and it was pretty freakin dire. Utterly unresponsive pads and kinda weird layout. I'd really save for a Roland if I were you

And yeah, Ezdrummer/Superior will beat the pants out of the crappy sound you'll get out of all but the very best drum synth modules that come with kits.

Thanks for the insight! If the Alesis is as bad as you say, then a Roland will definitely be on the list.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:17 pm 

Mark777 wrote:
If you want to be quiet you could put pillows over your drums to muffle the sound.
:p

Kills rebound though.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 pm 

You mean like this?

ramfeild66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:24 pm 

damaramou wrote:
You'll have no problem with speed on electronic kits, they'll be able to handle it just fine. I use a roland TD3 and it's held up brilliantly for two years. I play it for hours everyday, I play double kick and blast a lot and it's still as responsive as ever. I really would go for a roland or a yamaha tho, most of the other electronic kits I've seen have been pants by comparison.

Yeah, I'm taking a look at the Roland TD3, I like the fact that it has a double bass pedal. I already have some experience of EZdrummer. I'm of the opinion its always best to save up for better equipment so it was always going to be a Roland if I chose anything. Just bought a $800 ESP Araya signature bass and the TD3 is like another $1,200 (599GBP) so I'm going to have to do some major saving. Cheers for the advice!

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 pm 

RageW wrote:
You mean like this?

lol yeah

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.