Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 pm 

Hey what are some good alternatives to the Floyd?
I think I'll pick up a non-trem metal guitar sometime and switch out the bridge for a floating trem.
However, Floyd are a royal pain in the ass so what would be a good alternative floating trem?

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:17 pm 

Stick a huge-ass Bigsby trem on it. You know it makes sense. I'd love to see a spiky-shaped metal guitar with one of them.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:00 pm 

Let me get this straight: You want to buy a non-trem guitar and change it out for a full floating trem. But a Floyd Rose is a "royal pain in the ass".

Something tells me you're biting off more than you can chew... If you can't deal with a Floyd I doubt you'll be able to deal with the difficulties in installing a tremolo in a guitar designed for a fixed bridge.

That said, Wilkinson makes great tremolos, as do Parker, EBMM, and Kahler.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:31 pm 

I have someone else deal with it.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:31 pm 

I'm just looking for any good floating trem with no locking nut

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:41 pm 

Mark777 wrote:

Probably a bad idea. It'll go out of tune way easily. What is your problem with a floyd rose?

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Mark777 wrote:

Probably a bad idea. It'll go out of tune way easily. What is your problem with a floyd rose?

He is too lazy and impatient to figure out how to adjust it accordingly and to work with it.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:58 pm 

The whole point of a floating trem with a locking nut is to have two locking points. That's why they're called a "double locking" trem.

The OFR system locks at the bridge and the nut. If you want to do extreme bending, like harmonic screams or serious divebombs, this is necessary, and the only systems I know of like this are Kahler and OFR.

If you don't want to do anything extreme and just use it for mild tremolo and vibrato use, then the Wilkinson bridge is probably the best option. Parker and EBMM have GREAT trem systems but they are OEM only.

However if you can't deal with a Floyd then none of these options will do anything for you, since they all rely on the same spring/string tension, and are therefore as difficult as a Floyd Rose... and none of them ( excluding Kahler ) have the tuning stability of a FR.

Just buy a guitar with a tremolo system already... Buying a bridge ( $200 ), routing the body for it ( $100-200 ), and then adjusting it for the neck angle on a fixed bridge guitar...

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:43 pm 

Buying a guitar and instaling a trem is a massive pain, best off just buying a guitar with one already in. If you want a floating non-locking trem, try a guitar with a wilkinson trem or something. Parker Fly guitars have those. And some Carvins I believe.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm 

Thanks

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 pm 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Mark777 wrote:

He is too lazy and impatient to figure out how to adjust it accordingly and to work with it.

Pretty much yeah

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:22 am 

They have those Khalers that go onto the Tune - O - Matic mounting studs. No routing necessary.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:30 am 

Yeah at least some kahlers are retrofittable. Also locking tuners are an adequate substitute for a locking nut if you hate the latter. Some locking trem equipped Carvins have locking tuners in place of locking nuts.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:21 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
Yeah at least some kahlers are retrofittable. Also locking tuners are an adequate substitute for a locking nut if you hate the latter. Some locking trem equipped Carvins have locking tuners in place of locking nuts.

No they aren't...

Look up the Gibson Shred X Explorer review on youtube. Gibson designed the Shred X Explorer with a Kahler floating trem and locking tuners, with no locking nut. The result is exactly what you'd expect from no locking nut -- It's fine for light, soft vibrato usage, but it falls apart and loses tune with anything "extreme".

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 pm 

mattp wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:

No they aren't...

Look up the Gibson Shred X Explorer review on youtube. Gibson designed the Shred X Explorer with a Kahler floating trem and locking tuners, with no locking nut. The result is exactly what you'd expect from no locking nut -- It's fine for light, soft vibrato usage, but it falls apart and loses tune with anything "extreme".

Well that example's contrary to what I've heard, generally speaking. As a rule I guess you're right, if you want to do any extreme trem usage then you want double-locking system, ideally.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 pm 

I've heard that the Steinberger Trans Trems are some of the best. I dont know if you can get them installed in regular guitars though.. Kind of an oddball trem, you can transpose tunings and all that. I've always wanted a steinberger ever since I saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Van Halen's Live Without a Net- very unique sound (The originals that is)! Holdsworth also made em famous..

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.