* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 pm 

Draug's first full length album released shortly, take a listen here:

http://draugdeathmetal.bandcamp.com/album/corruption-within-the-catacombs

Pro-pressed and shrink wrapped on Speed Ritual Records.
Limited to 75 copies worldwide

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 am 

It can be pretty one dimensional at at times, but I quite like the style, guitar tone and most of the vocals, especially when transitioning from low to high. The recording/mix is a bit unfortunate though; it'd really benefit from more clarity/dynamics (talking a bit out of my ass on that last one) in all aspects. I fell like it could be way more monstrous. Hopefully Draug keeps at it. I'll keep enjoying this on Bandcamp for now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 am 

Thanks for taking a listen, truth is all these songs were written and recorded the year before last and this was a preliminary mix.. then my computer that I recorded these on took a fall and I lost all the tracks. I just found these tracks a couple of months ago, did a bit of tweaking that I could without destroying it totally, laid the vocals and were quite happy with the results given the circumstances. I could have gone back and re-recorded but really that's difficult for me cause once I've done it once I lose interest in the song and really don't want to revisit it again and I just rather write more.

These were actually set aside for 2 other splits that never happen but after listening to them I felt they worked well as a whole.

There is already a new ep that's getting prepped for release in a couple of months and I'm starting on writing on the next full length. I just couldn't let these songs just die after what time I had spent in creating them. I do understand the lack of clarity though Draug has never really been very clear cause I felt it added a bit more to the atmosphere of it.. wanting it to sound like it was drug out of the vaults from the late 80's or very early 90's.. But as far as dynamics... I guess that's a personal thing for a listener. I like doing the sorta groovy to doom stuff with a few faster and blasting moments.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm 

I am still on the third song but I am digging it so far and understand what you mean about how it not being very clear adds to the atmosphere. From what I have heard of all your solo projects that I have had a chance to check out, this is up there for me right now - certainly more approachable and easier to digest for me than say Uzumaki or Yzordderrex stuff but its still too early for me to really compare.

Do you have any particular influences when it comes to Draug's material?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:15 am 

Thanks! I appreciate that, no band directly more of a style overall. Kinda a mix of os swedish and finnish death metal. Minus the underlying melody that pops up in swedish material and minus the more odd and adventurous material in some finnish bands. Basically I just wanted massive rolling riffs that hopefully forces you to bob your head to it. If I had to think about it, the closest bands I had in mind while writing was Moondark and Rippikoulu but obviously with more speedier sections.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 am 

>)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 am 

up

Reply to topic